Ever had a recurring dream? What was it about?

Jump to Last Post 1-48 of 48 discussions (129 posts)
  1. spease profile image61
    speaseposted 14 years ago

I had a dream several times over about a year.  I was in my yard and was attacked by a lion.  I always won the fight.  No idea what it meant.  Pretty strange.

1. Daniel Carter profile image62
      Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Your dream is about your power to be able to overcome in the end.

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
        rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

o.k. daniel, what is my childhood dream about?

2. rebekahELLE profile image86

at least you won, I've read where you can write your dreams down when you wake up and there are books and websites that claim to help you interpret them.  I've never tried, although I have written down dreams before, because I like to write.

3. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have been dreaming for the last 10 years or so about nearly drowning. sad

I've had similar dreams about destruction and then drowning, but only knew it was about everything being too much. I checked at this site about drowning: http://dreammoods.com/cgibin/dreamdicti … h=drowning

It said this:
        To dream that you are drowning, indicates that you are feeling overwhelmed by emotions or repressed issues that are coming back to haunt you. You may be proceeding too quickly in trying to discover your unconscious thoughts. You should proceed more cautiously and slowly. If you drown to death, then is refers to an emotional rebirth. If your survive the drowning, then a waking relationship or situation will ultimately survive the turmoil.

1. momknowsbest33 profile image58
          momknowsbest33posted 14 years agoin reply to this

what about someone else drowning..like a child?

4. profile image0
      patriciarose7posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Dear spease:

Do you know what it means?

I could assist you in a definition that might help or not but try this out and see where it goes.

To dream that you are being attacked by an animal, is a warning to be careful with those around you. Take notice of who you know in your waking like that shares and exhibits the same qualities of the animal that attacked you in your dream.

You can find out more about definitions of your dreams at this site listed below:
      http://www.dreammoods.com/dreamdictionary/

I hope this helps out a bit and do let me know if it works for you or not. I just wanted to help in any way I can. Good Luck

2. Colebabie profile image61
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

I always have the dream that my brakes go out, or I speed, or I get pulled over, or I run a red light.

Your dreams are about feeling out of control. You can reframe them by reimagining the scenarios with a conclusion that allows you to regain control. It will help your subconscious mind to resolve the issue.

3. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

when I was a little girl, I would dream about the wicked witch from wizard of oz chasing me ... then someone threw a bucket of water on her.

Ahh, another power dream! Good for you!

oh, really, I'll have to remember to ask you more often!

2. Daniel Carter profile image62

Yours is actually about being rescued. You didn't throw the water on the witch, apparently someone else did. However, it's a type of power. The metaphor is that you actually have the power in *you*, although you may be looking for someone to step in. Ironic it's about the Wizard of Oz, which has a similar message that we all have exactly what we need in us.

I haven't studied this stuff. I've had to learn from my own experiences, which were pretty horrific, but I'm glad I learned what I did. And I'm glad I'm a much healthier person physically and emotionally.

I think we are far more powerful than we realize.

smile

and  I agree with you. the wizard of oz actually has many metaphors, and finally sometime during my adult years I got it, that everything we need is already within us, the power of our mind and subconscious is hardly tapped into. I think often, sadly, human beings are afraid to recognize that we also are a being, we have amazing abilities within us. and sometimes even as parents, we have limited our children when we try to direct their beliefs or their career paths.

2. zadrobi profile image59
        zadrobiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nice daniel, nice.

4. pddm67 profile image60
    pddm67posted 14 years ago

I used to have a recurring dream that I would start chewing a little piece of gum (like a chicklet or piece of dentyne) and as I chewed it - it would get bigger and bigger in my mouth. By the end of the dream, it was like that magic trick where you pull the scarf out of your sleeve and it just keeps coming.

Funny thing - even in my dream, I would tell myself not to eat the gum - literally arguuing with myself but always ending up chewing the gum with the same end result.

Figured it out that I was having "communicating" issues with my husband. Once that issue was resolved, the dream stopped.

1. theageofcake profile image60
      theageofcakeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like the image this particular dream conjured in my mind. 

When I was a kid (I don't remember how old exactly, although I'm sure I was at least 3), I had a recurring nightmare in which I was running up a mountain sinking in lava.  As I ascended (or attempted to), there were at least a dozen small red demons who gripped and crawled along my body in an attempt to pull me under with the steadily sinking rock.  I fought them off and ran, but eventually they got the best of me.  I fell and woke up on my bedroom floor.

It closely resembled a nightmare sequence in Don Bluth's All Dogs Go to Heaven movie, which I found utterly terrifying as a kid.  It was also the only dream I've ever had more than once in my entire life.

2. profile image0

Good for you as yes, once you figure out what is going on in your waking life and resolve it that dream will disappear.

Isn't dreaming such a wonderful topic to study about?
      I can testify to this as I have had prediction dreams that there was going to be 5 tornadoes come up somewhere in the world and sure enough it happened....wow!

5. Deborah-Lynn profile image60
    Deborah-Lynnposted 14 years ago

After my father past away, I started dreaming every night that I could fly, first I started flying in his house though I hadn't lived there for years, then outside in his front yard, which is on the opposite coast on the other side of the USA!
    I loved the dreams and didn't like waking up at first until I realized I could tell myself to dream it, and I could.

Freedom and power. No wonder you didn't want to wake up! Very cool!

1. Deborah-Lynn profile image60
        Deborah-Lynnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That makes alot of sense to me Daniel, freedom from the abuse (dad really did abuse me badly), and power because..I survived?
        Life has been easier to face after he died, even though we reconcilled before he past away, all my life he never admitted what he did until the last years of his terminal illness...so flying was the exact opposite of what I felt all my life.

Ha ha you are good at this Daniel...wow!

2. lorlie6 profile image72
      lorlie6posted 14 years agoin reply to this

My father died when I was 8, and I remember dreaming over and over that he couldn't see me, even though I was right there!

1. wyanjen profile image70
        wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lorlie - this got me choked up just now.
        So sorry for your loss.

Thinking that you may no longer be significant to him. The irony is you became the ghost, not him. But it's the fear of insignificance, not a fact. I never felt significant to my dad, but as he died, I became aware of how significant I had become to him, within the last year or so. But I couldn't see that until he approached death. It's different for everyone.

3. Daniel Carter profile image62

Lorlie, are you okay with things now? Do you still have the dreams? You may try to reframe this by using your imagination. The key to this is not so much about your dad, it's about you not being enough for you. When you become enough for you, suddenly we realize we are okay with others.

I hope this helps.

1. Jewels profile image82
          Jewelsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The flying sounds like astral traveling.  I had recurring dreams when I was little (under 10) where I was falling.  I didn't like the sensation I remember.  But it occurred many times.  Not until decades later did I realize what was happening.  The flying is also a sense of freedom and being out of the body during the night, which is what we do naturally.  Love the feeling of flying, not so much the descent back into the body.

Falling out of control, recovering, and gaining some of the highest symbolic power and freedom. Very, very nice.

6. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

My reoccurring dreams were varied and pretty horrific. It was about the abuse I went through, the abandonment, etc. It was about being powerless and vulnerable. But they went away as I resolved the issues, got out of the abuse, and protected myself. My dreams are pretty normal now, and I don't usually remember them. It's nicer this way....

7. Nell Rose profile image90
    Nell Roseposted 14 years ago

I dreamt for years that I had another life and family living up the north of the country, I still sometimes dream it. The funniest thing is that everything is always the same, it's just like I have been away, and come back years later. Strange huh?

Yearning for a life that we may not feel is complete in us now. Perhaps people are symbols for unrealized accomplishments, as well.

The key to understanding dreams is to understand the underlying feeling. Flying is power. Suddenly being naked is vulnerability. Winning a fight is overcoming with power, etc. Go with the feeling and you can begin to decipher the symbols in your dreams. The images are emotional reflections. They are usually simpler to decipher when we stick with the way the dream feels.

1. Nell Rose profile image90
        Nell Roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I never really took much notice of how i felt in the dream, I will try that from now on, I do know that i am usually on my own! Not good!

In dreams we are usually on our own. But the reason that becomes important is that we eventually learn that we are okay the way we are, and we are more powerful than we thought. Addressing the actual fear of being afraid is more the issue. So being alone may feel scarey, but as you work with it, you'll be able to feel more secure about your own abilities. At least that's what happened for me.

8. jenblacksheep profile image67
    jenblacksheepposted 14 years ago

I used to have dreams where my jaw would lock and as I tried to open my mouth my teeth would fall out. My jaw used to lock and click a lot when I was a bit younger and although the dreams were subsequent to that I think it was just me worrying that it would actually happen. The weird thing was that my boyfriend also had that dream a couple of times.

I also have dreams sometimes where I'm being chased and I'm running really fast and sometimes I would run so fast that I would take off and start flying. It was really emotional, I would be terrified of the people chasing me but I also loved the thrill of running that fast and flying.

I've also learnt to wake myself up from really bad dreams, which is pretty cool.

9. elisabethkcmo profile image77
    elisabethkcmoposted 14 years ago

I've had the same basic dream as long as I can remember
    finding money on the ground, walking around and picking it up
    I'm sure that means something

You have enough for your needs.

10. wyanjen profile image70
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

I had a recurring dream that a man was stalking me. He wore a fedora hat and a trenchcoat. Each time the dream recurred, I would get just a little more detail about the man. A glimpse from a streetlight, something out of the corner of my eye...

After a few months the dreams got more dramatic. Instead of spying on me he would chase me.

Then one night there was a car chase that ended badly. We crashed.

Then I finally got to see the man's face: It was Karl Malden from those credit card commercials in the 80's. Was it American Express? Don't leave home without it I think...

Then the dreams stopped completely.

Daniel: explain please smile

Being pursued is always scarey, but there are two things about it you need to remember: first, you don't know why you were being pursued, and although he looked like a bad guy (and played a lot of them) he may have actually had a good message, trying to just give it to you. The other thing is that any crash is about being out of control. So what you're dealing with is your fear of being out of control, in either case--pursuit, or by an accident. When you can stand in front of the person and say firmly, "What do you want?" then you have taken charge. Until then, you don't know what they want, you just think you should run. As for accidents, it's the *fear* of the accident, not the accident itself that is so compelling. Statistically, we don't have accidents all the time, so you are safe almost all the time. When you can accept these things, and if this makes sense to you emotionally, then it helps resolve the unresolved. If it doesn't all fit together yet, then *feel* your way through it, and analyze why you might have these feelings and you should be able to come up with an answer.

Hope this helps.

You say he may have had a good message...
        After all of those months of scary dreaming, after that very last Karl Malden episode, I was laughing out loud when I woke up.
        That was kind of nice smile

Regarding the house analogy: From the period of a year or so before my divorce, until just after I moved out, I had a recurring house dream.

I would find an entire third floor full of rooms in my house. Some furnished, some not. Each time I would find this floor, I would feel very stupid for having forgot it was there when I bought the house. It wasn't some magic occurrence that put the third floor there, it really was just me forgetting about it for years at a time.
        Sometimes in the dream I would start cleaning the rooms, sometimes I would just shut the doors and ignore the rooms.

This one was always obvious to me. I would wake up feeling pathetic. These days when I think of it, I feel pretty angry - at myself.

I'm rambling long here but let me add: Thanks for your input to this forum. Thanks for sharing with us the benefit of your experiences my friend.
        smile

I just learned this looking at dream interpretation sites earlier today. A house is about you. The rooms in the house are similarly located in the body. Third floor or attic are similar. I don't have a lot of time to write and respond, but I put the link of where I was looking at dream interps if you're interested in digging it up and going there. Essentially, the house is a representation of you. Cleaning is about improving, moving forward, making place for new ambitions, etc. Roaming is about being lost, etc. The ignored or forgotten third story is probably about neglect or fear of going there.

11. AEvans profile image74
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

I have had dreams and they became reality can someone explain that one? And a few of them were bad. sad

Me too. Some of it is self fulfilling prophecy. The more we obsess about something, the more we bring it on. When I learned that what I was obsessing about wasn't necessarily the way it was going to be, the energy changed dramatically and gained a lot of control. I changed the events, by changing my perspective. That's how I overcame abuse, and several other things.

12. drej2522 profile image68
    drej2522posted 14 years ago

every now and then I'll have a dream about tornadoes...hundreds of them, in an open field, and I'm trying to weave my way through them

Not feeling safe. Tornados are the symbols for anything that makes you feel unsafe. When you begin to look squarely at those fears, you usually realize that on a statistical level, they have very little power or effect in your present life. However, if there are things that perpetually make you feel unsafe in some way, your mind is trying to tell you you need to make some changes to be safe.

13. steffer profile image60
    stefferposted 14 years ago

I have a reccuring dream since the last 10 years.

It is about a girl i used to have a relationship with,
    I always dream that somehow me meet each other again, get in contact with one another, and become friends, and the dream always stops when we come back together as a couple.

Strange thing is the movie changes but the story is always the same. Now i must tell you after i had such a dream i am always really confused.

i don't really see her anymore, and i have a nice family now, yet still these dreams persist.

Once night, i dreamed about her, and when i woke up, i knew i would see her that day, didn't know why, or where, or even when.

so that day, my girlfriend and i went shopping, and at a certain moment i told her(my girlfriend who also knows the girl)
    that she would be in that store in 2 minutes, again, didn't know how or why, and yes you guessed it, 2 minutes after i sayd it, my girlfriend tapped on my back and told me to look behind me, and there she was. my judgment was right.

It was really strange, causse when the girl and i saw each other we where both incredibly surprised, and had something like, oh jeez, how is this possible.

wonders of nature????

Premonitions are powerful. It's the sense of *knowing* and it's like a clear channel and there is no doubt. I've had it several times myself. No explanation except we somehow tap into something in the universe and realize we are not totally alone somehow and that there is more to all this than we can see. Some call it God, others karma, etc. What ever it is, it's real to us when it happens.

I had the same thing happen over a position. My wife at the time was going away for a few days, and I told her that I would get the call as soon as I got back from dropping her off at the airport. I even told her details of the conversation. She thought I was nuts (as usual), but was pretty surprised when she heard it from the other guy's lips.  Don't have any idea why it happens, but it does.

14. starme77 profile image78
    starme77posted 14 years ago

I had a dream that I would run out ot gas in the middle of nowhere and my needle would show I had gas  and it actually happened - weird how dreams sometimes come true

15. wyanjen profile image70
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

Go! go,go, go Daniel!
    lol
    I did not know you are a dream interpreter
    nice smile

I've had some really, really awful nightmares and reoccurring dreams through  my life. They are all gone. But they were all keys to my well-being. If I could learn to understand my dreams, I could make changes and learn and protect myself. For me it was all about protection and abandonment. I don't know that I can interpret dreams, really. I just know how many of my own that I've had to work through. But having learned what I have from abuse, bad dreams, etc., paying it forward is a big thing to me. I only do this kind of stuff to help. Despite the torture I went through, I have learned that most people are really quite wonderful.

16. NaomiR profile image77
    NaomiRposted 14 years ago

Interesting thread!

I also have a recurring dream where I'm trying to find shelter from a tornado. Another one I have is where I'm only a scary roller coaster ride (I don't ride coasters in real life). I suppose these mean my life is in turmoil.

Though I had a dream recently where a lion was stalking me ... and when I woke up, my cat was sitting on my chest.

Not that your life is in turmoil, more like there is a *fear* that your life is in turmoil. But you seem to be on the right track, I think. Fears are usually dispelled by rational evidence and fact. If that helps.

17. Daniel Carter profile image62

Okay, I've hijacked this thread enough. I hope it helps some. Thanks for being nice to me while I spout about all this stuff.

smile

18. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

I remember dreaming over and over again of playing catch in outer space with my brother.  Each time one of us caught the ball we would take a step backwards until we could no longer see each other.  I would be waiting for him to throw the ball, then I would see it coming, a tiny spec.  As the ball got closer it got larger and larger, until it was the size of a meteor.  I would be trying to figure out how to catch it or get out of the way, when I would wake up.

There are a lot of sites about interpreting dreams. I couldn't figure out this one so I looked around a bit. To play catch is a carefree idea, but the catching itself is about you needing something. Catching a ball apparently means you need to feel more whole and well-rounded. Relatives are usually more about us than they are about the person. We project ourselves on to them.

If you are interested, here is the site I went to:
      http://dreammoods.com/cgibin/dreamdicti … der=symbol

The key to understanding dreams is about the feeling it conveys. If you work with the feeling, you'll understand more about what's going on with you.

Hope this helps.

I think I've worn out my welcome, so I'll let this rest now. Thanks, everyone.

1. manlypoetryman profile image76
        manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nutz! (to that) As a Famous General once said when he responded to message asking him to surrender....he was surrounded!

Daniel...you got as much right to be here as anyone...Please keep plugging away at the interpretation thing...you've obviously done your homework...You just may know more about them (dreams)... then people who would claim to be experts!

I only wish I had a reoccurring dream to figure out...! I usually forget most of mine...(Some dreams that I have remembered have helped make great story ideas!) Dreams are interesting...because our subconscious is way to complex for us personally to understand! Sometimes....an objective opinion could be a real help!

Manly, I think your poems are like dreams in some ways. They are very symbolic of you and what you bring to us. I think that is way cool. And I think you have a lot of wisdom, insight and humor that we all need. So thanks for all that!

HHHMMMM...Poems are like dreams...I like that...Have to think on that one for awhile...?! Thanks

2. Ivorwen profile image65
        Ivorwenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Daniel, I'm really disappointed -- you have been doing so well!  wink  Actually, I am not surprised at all.  I have chased down many dream interpretation sites and manuals, only to find that my dreams don't fit the patterns or the symbolism in them give two or three opposing messages. 

Thanks for the site, I'll check it out.

3. profile image0
        aquaseaCreativeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This has been a great thread to follow along with. I hope you come back Daniel, I was getting a lot out of your analysis.

Whoever it was who mentioned dreamscapes - more of THAT please!! I have a book that I found in a sale bin and it's turned out to be one of those finds that really enriches your life. It's on dreamscapes and meditations, astral travel etc. I've never been still and quiet enough to try it out, but it captures my interest and imagination.

19. starme77 profile image78
    starme77posted 14 years ago

Daniel is good! - i'll be sure to know where to go when i have a funny dream that i cant figure out smile way to go man

20. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

I keep having this dream about being awake and thinking about a dream I had but then it turns out I was still dreaming and...

...wait a minute...

21. TimTurner profile image70
    TimTurnerposted 14 years ago

I do but I haven't had it in about a year.  But it has re-occured about 20 times in my life.

It's me getting chased by a guy like Michael Myers from Halloween.  It's a masked man and he chases me through the woods to this old house.  It's like an old log cabin house.  The front door and back door are open and so are the windows with white curtains.  I run through the house and around it to get away.

He never catches me.

I'm scared that one day I'm going to be driving down some dark road in the woods and see this house in my dreams.

I don't know what I would do if I did see it.  I probably wouldn't turn around  hahaha

Yours is most similar to wyanjen's dream. If you look back earlier in the thread, there is a post about it.

22. spease profile image61
    speaseposted 14 years ago

It's cool that we have someone here to interpret the dreams.  I guess I'm not alone, many people dream the same things.  I have also dreamed about places, then went there later, and recognized things that I had never seen before.

1. tksensei profile image60
      tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No you didn't. Your brain just tricked you into thinking you did. A little error in memory processing.

23. ashleysays profile image60
    ashleysaysposted 14 years ago

When I was a kid I used to be absolutely terrified of wolves and I would have this recurring nightmare that I'd be crossing the street at night with my best friend to go deliver something to my neighbor.  When we'd be on the way back, packs of wolves on either side of us would start closing in.  I'd try to run but keep falling over and over and over.  It was scary sad I'd always wake up crying.  Fortunately, now I think wolves are really beautiful awesome animals.

See how powerful you are? You are in control of your life and able to protect yourself.
      smile

24. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

Me winning the Oscars...what else...

25. karmen88 profile image60
    karmen88posted 14 years ago

I keep having the same dream about me being on a ship in the middle of the ocean. I've had the dream at least 4 times and that is all it's about. Does anybody know what the meaning of that could be?

1. profile image0
      fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Means you're searching for meaning, purpose in life...

1. Philent profile image68
        Philentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi fiery! so other than being into film, you are also a dream interpreter. Can you interpret mine please?

Also means you are disconnected, not grounded. Adrift at sea.

26. Philent profile image68
    Philentposted 14 years ago

I have recurring dreams that stopped...but there were some which I cannot explain like dreaming about departed relatives, some are close to me and some are not. Every time I dreamt about them, in my dreams they are alive. I just wonder how they can fill in my dreams even they are rarely in my thoughts.

1. profile image0
      fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Its like the song by Coldplay...Those who are dead, are not dead, they're just living in my head...when people die, there memories rub off on those closest to them, their relatives...you just got your share...

1. Philent profile image68
        Philentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Um ok..thank goodness it is not scary as I've thought! Thank you for that!

This is kind of like Lorlie's dreams. It's more about yourself than it is about the people in the dreams. You didn't write much about how the dreams felt, good or bad. Feelings of the dreams are the key. You relatives represent something about *you* that you are either wrestling with, or are feeling great about. Sometimes it's about being enough for ourselves, rather than trying to gain acceptance and approval from those we love.

27. wychic profile image85
    wychicposted 14 years ago

I've had quite a few over the years...

One in which my husband moved someone else into the house and couldn't figure out why I was upset and just couldn't get along with her. That one stopped when I left, and the mysterious "her" moved in within weeks.

A dream in which I am only safe on rooftops. I can fly to get to them, but the flying is extremely difficult and I only just barely reach the roof. Then, if anyone sees me, I have to fly to another rooftop.

A tiger prowling outside of my son's window, just beyond the bushes where I couldn't see it. Sometimes I'd hear the rustling outside and go to check on my son, only to find the front door open.

I also have a few dreamscapes...offhand I can think of five places that I know every detail of, but that don't really exist. There is one that I can see the way to drive to it and it's usually huge koi ponds with footbridges, all very peaceful. The last time I saw it, though, instead of koi and a peaceful atmosphere everything smelled horrible and there was a nasty film over the water, a crust in some places. Carnivorous fish filled the ponds, and even some weird eel-like things that kept trying to come out of the pond and attack us. There were two cats that were following us, then wandered out on the crust over the water and laid down, watching us with their ears perked up. As I watched first one cat, and then the other, got a glazed look in its eyes and flopped over, breaking through the crust...each was completely eviscerated and the water boiled with carnivorous fish below. That was the point when I realized that I couldn't see my son and didn't know where he was.

Any more questions about why I was an insomniac for most of my life? tongue

I have also had a lot of tornado dreams...but it's usually during tornado season, and I have a tornado phobia.

28. breakfastpop profile image63
    breakfastpopposted 14 years ago

My recurring dream is the "slippery baby" dream. I haven't had it in awhile, but it is always the same. I have a tiny little baby, that I try to pick up but it slides right through my hands over and over again.

Loss of self, most likely. The baby is an extension of you, in most cases. So there may be something that causes you to feel like you aren't whole, or are missing something perhaps.

29. rebekahELLE profile image86

daniel, you've become the HP's official dream interpreter.  smile

good morning.

Good morning, rebekah!
      However, it's not something I really care to do. But I've struggled with my own dreams, and if it helps, I'm happy to try to help. But I think I better leave well enough alone now.

Thanks, everyone!

1. profile image0
        Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I enjoyed reading your info. That was nice of you to share, especially if it wasnt even something you care to do.
        To answer the original question, I have tons of recurring dreams, nightmares, and sleep paralysis quite frequently as well. I have had sleep walkign epsiodes too, but not for laong time. Thats only when I actually sleep tho, today I have been awake since about 300. When I was little I would go days without sleeping becuase I was so afraid of what I would dream. I often have variations of teeth falling out dreams, haunted houses, crumbling houses, tornadoes, and I dream about the ocean nearly every single night.

Okay, I just got told off (in the nicest way) so I'm back for as along as you'll have me, I guess.

Justine, what you describe is more like a sleep disorder than what's going on subconsciously. Sleep disorders are usually a type of brain dysfunction which can cause all kinds of problems with staying asleep, really bizzare images, etc. They are really meaningless because what's going on in these cases is really biochemical.

I've been through this, too. (Unfortunately). I've had a wild life. I'm 53 and the first 50 years were torture. I don't even know how I lived through it. But there are a couple of easy things you can do to help with basic deficiencies. Amino acid caps, (like what bodybuilders take), essential fats like fish oil, olive oil and flax oil, inositol, and choline. I wrote hubs about the last two, if you're interested. The brain lives on fats and sugars, and sometimes cannot process them correctly for a variety of reasons, and it leads to brain dysfunction. If you try the stuff I mentioned and it seems to help, then read the hub about "is there a link between nutritional deficiencies and mental illness?"

I'm really not trying to plug anything. I've just been through all this and the reason I write is to try to pay it forward. It's time to have a good life.

30. repstrydiefly profile image65
    repstrydieflyposted 14 years ago

I always have a dream that I'm falling down an everlasting pit or something (when I start falling asleep) but I always wake back up right away.

Falling is always about being out of control. Waking up is about taking control. So truly, falling is an illusion for you because you wake up and take control. However, if these dreams are reoccurring, it may mean something on a more subconscious level that isn't resolved yet.

31. profile image0
    bloodnlatexposted 14 years ago

I once had a dream that I was kidnapped by bizarre circus midgets.  They had me tied up to a torture wheel on a sideshow stage with tons of people cheering them on as they spun the wheel and whipped me.  I woke up as soon as they tried putting a running drill in my nose.

Here...Please let me help you interpret that dream...Yikes! yikes

Fear of not being able to overcome, of being powerless to help yourself. Reframe by reimagining an image that puts you in control. Might be as simple as shouting "STOP!" and they all do it. Remember it's the fear of being *afraid* that renders us powerless. In most cases, we *are* powerful and can protect ourselves. It's extremely rare in reality that we are truly rendered powerless, so we have more power to protect ourselves than we think.

32. zadrobi profile image59
    zadrobiposted 14 years ago

From when I was very young up through high school I would occasionally have dreams where I was chasing something but I wouldn't be able to run and no matter how hard I tried I always lost what I was chasing.

I was an all-state runner and football player and I lost my scholarships because of my many injuries that left me unable to run when I left for college. Was this predicting my future?

You have a fear of not being enough the way you are. What you do is not who you are, in the end. You are a human being, not a human doing. Whether you have legs or arms is not as important as who you are in this life, and what you bring with you, here to us. So the message is, after all these things are taken away from you, who are you? And is that enough for you? Deep stuff. But you are one smart José. I've read your writings. You'll get this as you let it settle through you.

1. zadrobi profile image59

I'm not often impressed but I am right now. Spot on, Dan. What you said is nothing new to me... it's something I've been contemplating since elementary school (and is way too long and convoluted to post on here) but the fact that you were able (and nice enough) to summon that sort of intuition and insight is very refreshing. I haven't met more than a handful of people on this level and I'm in an honors college.

Thanks, Z. That's a wonderful compliment, and I'm most appreciative. I think maybe I have an insight about this kind of stuff because I've been through most of it myself, and I can spot it in various forms. I'm learning, finally, that there is so much illusion in this life. Our minds create so much of it. It's distorted from our reality. We buy into the lies of our own minds, and then they get convoluted further from other well-meaning people.

Five decades later, I'm still learning what it means to be enough to myself. It's slow, difficult work, but I can honestly say it's very rewarding.

33. profile image0
    bloodnlatexposted 14 years ago

If it helps, I regularly have dreams of being chased by zombies, monsters of all sorts and people trying to kill me.  For whatever reason, I'm never scared.  I look at the chase as a game.  Who knows?

Dude, I can't imagine why!? Look at your pic! Turn them all into harmless creatures, cartoon characters, funny little imps. There is also something in this about you feeling dead inside with no way to know how to regain life. But you're alive, and you're accepted here, and we rather like you.
      smile

1. profile image0
        bloodnlatexposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks,  I think I've been in the horror business too long.

Well I think that would do it. LOL Maybe it's more about the disturbing images with you. You've become desensitized to horror because you create it as an illusion. Maybe your mind is trying to justify creating the illusion of it. I don't know. I'm guessing here. However, it might be just the basics of your mind saying something to you that you need to hear.

1. profile image0
            bloodnlatexposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your advice.  It's all gotta have some kind of meaning, but I think I fine with it for now.  I really only sleep for maybe 3 hours a night anyway.

2. spease profile image61
      speaseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you don't do stupid things, like in movies, zombies are pretty easy to run away from.

The problem with a zombie chase isn't the speed. It's the relentlessness. big_smile

34. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

my dream is always a silent look around a house, i think is mine, lot's of rooms i am too scared to go in.  If i go in them i look through the items in there, but feel i should not be there and quickly leave these rooms.   They are at the end of a corridor.  I forget about it until someone asks this question, but even talking about it now, has me feeling a little fearful

This one is completely new to me, so I don't know about it. But I did post a link earlier and checked it there, and below is copied from the site about "house".

To see a house in your dream, represents your own soul and self. Specific rooms in the house indicate a specific aspect of your psyche. In general, the attic represents your intellect, the basement represents the unconscious, etc. If the house is empty, then it indicates feelings of insecurity. If the house is shifting, then it suggests that you are going through some personal changes and changing your belief system. If you live with others in your walking life, but dream that you are living alone, suggests that you need to take new steps toward independence. You need to accept responsibilities and be more self-reliant. If you are locked out of the house, then it represents rejection and insecurity. You feel you are being left behind.
      To dream that you are cleaning your house, signifies your need to clear out your thoughts and getting rid of old ways. You are seeking self-improvement.
      To dream that your house is broken into, suggests that you are feeling violated. It may refer to a particular relationship or current situation in your life. Alternatively, it indicates that some unconscious material is attempting to make itself known. There are some aspects of yourself that you have denied. To dream that a house has disappeared, indicates that you are not feeling grounded. You feel uprooted by a particular circumstance or relationship in your life.
      To see an old, run-down house in your dream, represents your old beliefs, attitudes and how you used to think or feel. A situation in your current life may be bringing about those same old attitudes and feelings. Alternatively, the old house may symbolize your need to update you mode of thinking. To dream that your house is damaged, indicates your waking concerns about the condition of your house.

Hope this helps.

1. profile image0
        poetlorraineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thankyou for your research, i know it is a strange one.....

35. Cris A profile image58
    Cris Aposted 14 years ago

Mine has me jumping from one roof to another to escape a pursuer who, towards the latter part of the dream, would seem to be gaining on me. And then I wake up anxious. It's always set in the neighbourhood where I spent my childhood.

I get the insecurity of the chase, but not much else, so I looked it up at this site:
      http://dreammoods.com/cgibin/

Here's what it said:
      To dream that you are being chased, signifies that you are avoiding a situation that you do not think is conquerable. It is often a metaphor for some form of insecurity.

To see a roof in your dream, symbolizes a barrier between two states of consciousness. It represents a protection of your consciousness, mentality, and beliefs. The dream is an overview of how you see yourself and who you think you are.

To dream that you are on a roof, symbolizes boundless success. If you fall off the roof, then it suggests that you do not have a firm grip and solid foundation on your advanced position. If you are re-roofing in your dream, then it suggests that you need to raise your goals. You need to set your sights higher.

1. Cris A profile image58
        Cris Aposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That was cool! I need a hot cuppa and a fresh pack - I'm gonna introspect, look deeper and analyze. Thanks for taking time out to discuss my dream. What you said is a good place to start. cool

36. Daniel Carter profile image62

I've got deadlines I have to get to. I'll see if I can check back in before the day is over.
    Bye for now!

37. Harvey Stelman profile image61
    Harvey Stelmanposted 14 years ago

When younger (and not living in a good neighborhood) I dreamed gangs were chasing me. It was usually a 5-1 situation. We fought and I won 30% of the time.

I browsed through this threa and didn't find any sexual dreams, we've all had them. Especially about people we know. I used to call girls I was friends with and just say; "thank you." They were perplexed.

1. zadrobi profile image59

Lol I really hope I don't get a call or a post from you with those two words harvey

That's funny! You are gutsy! I don't know much about sexual dreams, except for the really negative type which are about stripping identity, neutering gender, and making into an object, domination, enslavement, abuse, etc. But I believe any sexual dream that feels positive is about personal power, wellness, and a sense of immortality. (Sex propagates, therefore, life continues.)

But the gang thing is about feeling a lack of safety and security. However, you did win some, so you are obviously capable and powerful enough to protect yourself.

38. momknowsbest33 profile image58
    momknowsbest33posted 14 years ago

When I was a little girl this dream was re-acurring every night. I was looking at myself being chased by a person whom I thought was a man (not sure though) in all black ( never saw his face) chasing me up a stair well in an apartment  building that was on fire....I could see through the apartment building at me being chased....there was a huge hole in the brick like half of it was missing?  It happened every single night, then every other, then fewer and fewer til it stop all together.

I had a lot of these dreams, but often much more horrific because the chase ended with me being murdered (the abuse I went through), so it was very complicated for me to know what it was about. But I checked to make sure about yours and it said this at the website I linked earlier:

To dream that you are being chased, signifies that you are avoiding a situation that you do not think is conquerable. It is often a metaphor for some form of insecurity. In particular, to dream that you are chased by an animal, represents your own unexpressed and unacknowledged anger which is being projected onto that animal. Alternatively, you may be running away from a primal urge or fear.

To dream that you are chasing someone, signifies that you are attempting to overcome a difficult goal or task. You may also be expressing some aggressive feelings toward others.

39. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

reality. recurs every freaking day wink

1. momknowsbest33 profile image58
      momknowsbest33posted 14 years agoin reply to this

ok?

2. wyanjen profile image70

What are you dreaming in your avatar pic right now?
      You're drifting away... big_smile

3. Daniel Carter profile image62

I've lived on hubpages the last two weeks because my reality is like a new vacuum at times, and this is a nice escape.

But it's getting better gradually.
      smile

1. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's great to hear Daniel. Good luck with your reality smile

4. k@ri profile image85
      k@riposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Funny, I keep having this same dream...tongue

1. Misha profile image62

Aren't we dreammates K@ri? smile

40. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

HP forums I guess? wink

41. rebekahELLE profile image86

misha's dreaming~roll don't wake him~~

daniel, I see you're back to work? our resident dream interpreter.
    smile

it's very interesting, thanks for including the links.

1. Misha profile image62

You can't, you are a part of the dream smile

42. N. Ramius profile image73
    N. Ramiusposted 14 years ago

I had the same nightmare for about 5 years, maybe longer when I was in middle school, early high school. I was so glad when it went away. It was odd that it had 2 different endings that perhaps varied on my mood when I went to bed.

I would be doing something in my Middle School and realize that the school would close in like 10 seconds and I had to get out of the building or else I'd be locked in. Most of the time I failed, but I made it out every now and then. I'd begin running and running but the door would never seem to get closer. As I ran, skeletons and zombies came out of the lockers. When I finally made it to the doors (and I was too late), massive chains and locks were around it and I couldn't open it. Woke up silently screaming at that point as the undead attacked me.

43. GoldiString profile image60
    GoldiStringposted 14 years ago

A recurring strange dream i have been having every phase of my life - teenage life to adulthood:

I am standing alone on a street of empty posh mansion houses. It looks haunted as no one seems to be living in those houses.

I don't know what this means but anyone would like to interpret?

1. profile image0

GoldiString:

I would like to help you here but need to know if those houses were new looking or run down. By your explanation of saying it looks haunted that says to me that the houses might be old.

I will give you some definitions but please don't take them seriously if they don't make any sense to you as it's very hard to determine how one's dreams could go unless they know how they are feeling at that time.

DEFINITIONS:(these definitions can be a warning of things to come or have happened already)Please keep an open mind.

HOUSE:a new house indicates a change of residence and happy business deals. If the house is old and dilapidated, you will have business losses and poor health.

STREET:Bad luck and worries over your hopes and plans. Any trips you undertake now will not be as pleasurable or beneficial as you expected.

I hope this helps....Do let me know if anything here sets off a light bulb...awe...and you can make that connection.

44. RKHenry profile image62
    RKHenryposted 14 years ago

Eygptian dung, under the "big tits, at Mary's nipple" in IE's wetdream, that smelled like pumpkin pie.lol

Gotta love the forums.

45. aware profile image68
    awareposted 14 years ago

work dreams

46. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I'm always dreaming that I'm driving a car that is stuck in reverse, and the brakes won't work. The car is going very fast - backwards!

For years, I dreamed that it was Christmas Eve and I hadn't bought any presents for anyone. It's like 8:30pm and the stores are closing at 9, so I'm rushing down the aisles tossing stuff into a shopping cart. I don't have this dream any more, thank goodness.

One more: I used to dream that I had to cross a bridge over a body of water - a river, ocean, lake, etc - and the water was always full of sharks, snakes, alligators, or crocodiles. Part of the bridge was always out, but I always managed to get across somehow.

Do we have a psychologist or psychiatrist in da house??

47. caravalhophoto profile image61
    caravalhophotoposted 14 years ago

From the time I was about 14 years old until I was in my early 30's, I had a dream of me running down a dark alley, I was running from somebody, half way down the alley I hear a noise behind a dumpster, it is someone I know however I do not see a face I bend down to help them up, we turn and the person chasing me shoots.  I hear the gunshot and see the flash, but then I wake up.  It has been about 15 years since I've had the dream and I am careful not to be walking around any dark alleys.
    Not sure what the dream means any ideas?

48. Tamarii2 profile image56
    Tamarii2posted 14 years ago

I keep dreaming about white covers surrounded by dark faces then the images inside the cloth turns into bright fire.For the last 20 years this happens and I try to force it out of my dreams. Everytime it's another dark image surrounded by white covers.I have gotten use to it but I don't like it.

O.K. Daniel....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)