Wow...I actually agree with Obama on this....I must be sick....

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (77 posts)
  1. TimTurner profile image69
    TimTurnerposted 14 years ago

I had no idea that the U.S. didn't allow people with HIV to come into the country.  Obama just lifted that ban.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091030/ap_ … obama_aids

1. egiv profile image61
      egivposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, even as it stands now, an HIV test is a requirement to getting a visa... the list of factors that disqualify you seem a little ridiculous (taken from the State Dept website):

Trafficking in Drugs
      Having HIV/AIDS
      Overstaying a previous visa
      Practicing polygamy
      Advocating the overthrow of the government
      Submitting fraudulent documents

I'm sure that list has kept many would-be overthrowers from entering!

1. tksensei profile image61
        tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Set aside the one on HIV if you like, does that mean you find the other items on that list "ridiculous"?!

1. Misha profile image64
          Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, practicing polygamy definitely, and overthrowing a government sort of open to debate. smile

We've got far too many polygamists in the country already. Don't need any more.

1. Misha profile image64

LOL May be, but it does not really provide for a reasonable entry restriction IMO. At the end polygamists do not compete on a job market more than monogamists. smile

1. lostgirlscat profile image59
                lostgirlscatposted 14 years agoin reply to this
                1. lostgirlscat profile image59
        2. egiv profile image61

Haha calm down. Obviously we don't want drug traffickers and government overthrowers. It just seems a little random to include polygamy and having HIV, which seem relatively harmless, with all these other things. As if someone would stop at the border because of this list anyway... that's what makes it ridiculous, not the general fact that we are selective about who enters.

2. Harvey Stelman profile image61
      Harvey Stelmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Of course he wants them, to give them aid! Oh, you said AID's. He should keep them all in the White House.

1. donotfear profile image82
        donotfearposted 14 years agoin reply to this

OOOHhhh!  Harvey's BAAACk!  Way to go.

3. Bibowen profile image87
      Bibowenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is right to quarantine an illness to keep it from spreading; it doesn’t matter what the illness; how many celebrities have raised “awareness” about it, or how much money goes to PR to maintain the illusion that those that have the disease are “victims.” Your compassion to a specific person or group has limits; you cannot use your compassion to put a bullet in someone else’s head.

Sometimes public health officials might find it difficult to quarantine some so that others will not be infected.  But that’s what we pay them for; to make the difficult choices and we should expect that public officials will do what is right by the United States (which is what they took an oath to do) rather than bowing to every interest that intimidates them or holds out the prospect for future lining of their campaign pockets.

2. livelonger profile image86
    livelongerposted 14 years ago

Yes, long overdue. The last idiotic piece of legislation from that human trash, Jesse Helms, finally taken off the books.

3. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

Thats just what we need, more people with disease, how did anyone ever think that preventing them entry was a good idea? roll How about now we let those with TB or any other deadly disease in, seems kinda mean.

TimTurnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

HIV isn't deadly anymore buddy!

1. profile image0
        A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeaaaaaaah, so rush out and get infected.

Since black women are the leading HIV group, we might as well ban them from coming into the U.S., right?

And we should go ahead and kick out the ones that have it now.  Sound good?

1. profile image0

Now you know where you can go and get infected with this Not deadly disease, the rest that you wrote is emotional drivel! I bet you agree with Obama on many things.

I think you've seen me back you in many forum posts about Obama dude.

And I think that was a pretty racist comment you made about "now you know where you can go and get infected."  Where exactly? I dare you to say whats on your mind.

1. profile image0

Racist? Because you mention the group who is being infected and I point out that is where you can go to get infected, that is racist? That is what was on my mind! Now instead of having an emotional reaction to what I wrote why don't you show me where AIDS is not deadly, that should be great news for Africa!!

Black women isn't a "where" so "where" would you find them since you know "where you can go to get HIV".

And HIV and AIDS are TWO different things.  Read up buddy smile

2. tksensei profile image61

Your charge would carry more weight if it weren't completely illogical.

2. TimTurner profile image69

Dude, HIV hasn't been deadly for many years.  Ever heard of Magic Johnson?  lol

1. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
            Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very first result in Google:

Speeding HIV's Deadly Spread
            http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co … 01607.html

Article is from 2007.  I'm no expert, but I thought HIV was the virus that causes AIDS, right?

Now why is it wrong to block more infected people from coming into the country?

And Magic Johnson? Well, I believe he lied or he is the only one to have found a cure?

The link you provided is HIV cases in Botswana.  So yeah, they dont have the healthcare like we do smile

1. profile image0

HIV turns into AIDS, just because Majic Johnson has lived without contracting AIDS, yet, doesn't mean he will not get it. As far as your racist theory, it needs work!

2. Jeffrey Neal profile image68

So we should give them visas to take advantage of ours right? smile  I get it now.

No, I read far enough to realize they were talking about Africa, but that was in response to your broad general statement that HIV is not deadly.  It may be better controlled, but I still see very little logic in allowing others into the country without knowing their intent.  They carry a potentially deadly, incurable virus and perhaps their intent is to infect as many people as possible.  It's just irresponsible, but that's my humble opinion. smile

Like I said, 45% of all NEW HIV cases are 15 to 24 year olds.  So this disease triggers them to just want to infect people randomly?  No!

Just because you have the disease doesn't mean you are randomly going to infect people.

That is a crazy assumption dude.

1. Jeffrey Neal profile image68

Hmm, dude smile, it's crazy to assume you know what anyone will do.

You know the U.S. used to quarantine immigrants regularly right?

Let's see 15-24, that's just about the right age to allow your sex drive to overcome your brain, right?smile  I'm just saying I think it's irresponsible to lift the ban is all.  Obviously we disagree, but I'm not seriously invested in arguing about it, so I'll let it be.

And maybe their "intent" could be to get treated since we have the best medicine for it.

And so people with AIDS or HIV will just knowingly spread it?  Is that what you're saying?

So lets just block anyone with an STD from entering.  You can die from herpes and syphillis and even chicken pox.   Hell, lets block those people to.

Anyone with the flu?  Can't come to the U.S.

Oh you're a Republican, nope sorry, can't come back in.

Where would it end?

3. tksensei profile image61

It's not.

2. Len Cannon profile image89
            Len Cannonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Magic Johnson is not typical.  HIV is treatable and it is possible to live with it, but it is ultimately fatal and no one should feel that it is not something they have to worry about.  It will still significantly shorten the life of anyone who has it, and that's assuming they're able to afford the very, very, very expensive drugs that treat it.

I don't think that people with HIV should be prevented entry to the United States if they meet all other requirements for immigration. After all, our for-profit health care is probably only going to make the US money in the long run.  But I don't think it is good to downplay the very real danger that HIV/AIDS presents as a disease.

I'm not downplaying it but it is no longer a top killer.  There are several more diseases that kill more people and are passed on easier.

The rate of death is down 96% since 1996 and continues to fall.  Magic Johnson is more the majority than minority now with HIV.

I'm saying if we ban people with HIV, might as well ban the other more deadly diseases to.

3. lostgirlscat profile image59

Did you seriously just say that?  Or is it just your medication is overdue? I'm speaking to the person who says HIV is just dandy now. I've got a few dead relatives and friends who would beg to differ- if only they could.

Are you kidding?

2. Friendlyword profile image60
      Friendlywordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is very disturbing! I have to agree with Tex! eww

4. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

Maybe they could disqualify you if you meet 2 or more of the criteria. Like you can get in if you are HIV+ OR a wannabe government overthrower. But not both big_smile

1. wyanjen profile image71
      wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol

5. TimTurner profile image69
    TimTurnerposted 14 years ago

HIV death rates have dropped 96% since 1996 from a study in 2008: http://health.usnews.com/articles/healt … cally.html

What surprises me is that 45% of all NEW HIV cases are from 15 to 24 year olds.

Holy cow! I guess we gotta ship the young kids out of here!

1. profile image0

You don't seem to understand your own post, we are not talking about shipping people with the disease out, but barring them entrance. Emotional responses make you look desperate.

Barring will turn to shipping out.  Where would it end?  You are so big on government not controlling our lives and taking over but you are ok with the government banning people from entering because of a stereotype?

AIDS kills far less than other diseases or viruses.  Why would we just ban people with AIDS or HIV?  doesn't make sense.

If you're gonna ban people from entering with one disease, you might as well ban all the other disease that kill MORE people too.

This law was done because everyone use to think it was a "gay disease" but now we know it's not.

Why hasn't it for the last 20 years?

6. prettydarkhorse profile image56
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

HIV-AIDS can be spread through using infected needles and unprotected sex (not using condom). Thats why the risk of getting it is influenced by high prevalence rate of heroin addicts and through unprotected sex (not using condom). USA is said to be one of the country with high condom use, and minimal use of heroin.

I dont see any negative reason for allowing people who have AIDS to enter any country. Instead they should concentrate on educating the young and people about the consequences of their behavior (multiple sex partner, commercial sex, unbprotected sex). then probably the problem of the rise in HIV_AIDS case will be minimized. It is the behavioral pattern that triggers the rise of cases.

7. livelonger profile image86
    livelongerposted 14 years ago

It's an odd paranoia that suggests people with HIV are going to deliberately infect other people, and that should be used as justification to keep people out. HIV is not something you get from someone sneezing; it's actually difficult to transmit.

This is not about quarantining, which was done for highly-communicable diseases but had an "out" after a few months. This is about denying people entry or any sort of permanent legal status.

There are quite a few people kept in legal status limbo and that have no other refuge except the US that will be able to enjoy a normal life now.

8. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

Glad I'm married

A very great many women in Africa who contact the disease are married.

1. profile image0
        Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So? That has to do with me how?

Just sayin' being married is no barrier to infection. This is a huge crisis in several African nations. That probably doesn't apply to you, just pointing it out.

1. profile image0
            Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, it isn't a barrier to infection but if the govt is going ahead with this idiocy I do feel relief at not being in the dating game and am sorry for those who are.

9. lostgirlscat profile image59
    lostgirlscatposted 14 years ago

Polygamy? Why should we care about what consenting adults choose to do?

Because in addition to being illegal in the US, polygamy is rarely restricted to "what consenting adults choose to do".

1. Misha profile image64

And you know this how?

Have you not been paying attention? Have you not noticed what is uncovered in every polygamist sect that comes to light? Have you not noticed the practices in countries that permit polygamy?

1. Misha profile image64

I guess not. To all three smile

2. egiv profile image61

Hmm, lot of assumptions flying around here... oh America, the land of the free! (Except when tksensei knows better)

My, how 'progressive.' I guess underaged victims don't matter when you've got a political point to score...

10. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

The previous policy was wrong and made America look stupid. smile

Made America look stupid to whom?

1. Bibowen profile image87

Why are we talking "appearances" when this is an matter about public safety? When it comes to the safety of my country, and especially that of my family and friends I really don't care how it "looks" to anyone.

1. livelonger profile image86
          livelongerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How are your family and friends endangered by HIV+ people?

1. Bibowen profile image87

My earlier comments were in the context that "appearances" pertaining to US health policy on HIV carriers seeking US entry are irrelevant. Who cares what the policy "appears" to be when we are talking about public health?

Public officials have to make judgments about what is best for the public health. Any one carrying a virus or disease that is communicable is a health risk. It is the task of public officials to reduce that risk.

Furthermore, I stated my country, family, and friends. Perhaps directly, it might not be a great risk. But then again, it might.  However, I expect public officials to do right by the American people; Obama hasn't done that. His decisions are predictably political, often the enemy of sound policy.

You got the point.

11. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

Have you guys seen the story that there has been encouraging steps towards an HIV vaccine? It was on the news about a month ago here (maybe less then that)

1. prettydarkhorse profile image56
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes seen that news too. It will surely help many people in Africa to reduce mortality due to HIV_AIDS>

12. prettydarkhorse profile image56
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

My take on this issue is that limiting the entry of people with HIV_AIDS doesnt solve the problem of transmission of AIDS. Transmission is a factor of behavior. HIV_AIDS can be transmitted sexually and through contaminated syringe. That being said, using a condom and reducing people who are heroin addicts can greatly reduced the prevalence of HIV-AIDS cases.

People who are into commercial sex, multiple sex partners and those engaging into unprotected sex (not using condoms) are into high risk of having this ddisease.

The best way to stop the spread is to encourage people to use condoms when engaging in these risky behaviors.

So if the disease is spreading because of behavioral patterns, the solution is to curb the behavior. everybody should use condom to be protected and if youre a woman, dont have sex with a partner (specailly casual sex etc) if they dont wear a condom.

13. GeneralHowitzer profile image67
    GeneralHowitzerposted 14 years ago

Sorry for veering away from the topic Tim...

Hi prettydarkhorse how was your day...

Good day to you general, i like your new avatar!

1. GeneralHowitzer profile image67
        GeneralHowitzerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I hope it was real though cause I want to point it to my adversary hehehe...

LOLOLO

1. GeneralHowitzer profile image67
            GeneralHowitzerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

just kidding aside hehehe, i got many problems recently hehehe, hayz I hvant finished yet with the grades of students sigh... Im afraid we're hijackin this thread sorry Tim..

its ok, nobody is in here anyway!!professor ur a busy man, relax it is halloween there, all souls and saints day, miss that

14. Len Cannon profile image89
    Len Cannonposted 14 years ago

I don't think people with highly contagious diseases should be permitted into the United States.  However, HIV is not highly contagious even amongst the best of circumstances.  The United States is very far down in the list of AIDS prevalence in the world, and it only remains at around the rate it has because of our superior ability to treat the diseases as compared to other countries and the high population of at-risk individuals.

The reason the HIV virus was used to prevent immigration in the first placed was do to the stigmatizing of it.  Both the medical community and the citizens of the United States have a much better understanding of how AIDS progresses and works now.  The fear and disgust that were unfairly heaped upon victims in the eighties and early nineties.

The United States will not suffer any more than it has by allowing otherwise competent and decent people.  As it stands, HIV patients can still enter the country by petitioning Homeland Security so the mechanics have already been in place and used.

It would take a significant proportion of the immigrant community to enter the United States infected to even put a dent on a tenth of the percentage of the US with HIV/AIDS.  We've had two decades of very specific training on how to deal with the AIDS virus.  Don't have unprotected sex, don't needle share, see a doctor if you have blood to blood contact with anyone, ever.

Like I said earlier, AIDS is a serious disease that shouldn't be ignored.  It is even possible to almost completely prevent yourself from becoming infected if you visit a doctor and receive proper medication within a few days of being exposed to the disease. This too, is expensive but certainly less expensive than a lifetime of retrovirals.

Worry less about how "gross" HIV patients are and teach your friends and family about proper care and prevention of HIV.  Immigrants with HIV won't hurt you even in the worst case scenario if you know how to take care of yourself.

15. pageantgirl31413 profile image76
    pageantgirl31413posted 14 years ago

I really don't have an opinion about whether they should be allowed or not. People are people. However, wouldn't inviting more people with the disease help it spread faster? Yeah, you could wear protection but ask any sexually active person if they like protection and most would probably say they don't. Most just use birth control. The other problem is some don't know that they have a STD or others wouldn't say they have HIV because they know that the other would say no.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)