What does it mean to be wealthy?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (25 posts)
  1. sannyasinman profile image59
    sannyasinmanposted 14 years ago

Are you wealthy? What does it mean to you, and what would it take for you to feel wealthy?

1. Carmen Borthwick profile image59
      Carmen Borthwickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Excellent question sannyasinman! I am wealthy because I have a computer to be able to have this discussion; I am wealthy because my husband was able to begin a new career at age 50 and he does it without question; I am wealthy because I was able to give treats to the kids that called out trick or treat tonight; I am wealthy because I have decided to be regardless of income or situation; I am wealthy because I am here.

sannyasinmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ah, wealth and gratitude - a potent combination. smile

1. Carmen Borthwick profile image59
          Carmen Borthwickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is no other way to live life than embrace whatever you are faced with. I learned that a long time ago.

sannyasinmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"Do the best you can, with whatever you have, wherever you are" - Roosevelt

2. travelespresso profile image68
        travelespressoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A heartfelt response and beautifully said.  I endorse your words.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image78
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

For me it would be being able to pay off all my bills, be able to buy my own house/condo, to be able to devote myself to my writing 24/7 and still be able to eat, and to be able to visit friends and family as often as I wished. I don't need that much, really smile

1. emievil profile image68
        emievilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Simple but true words smile. Just being able to do what you want to do is a wealth all by itself and something a lot of us are still striving for. smile

2. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Ha! I am dying to learn it on my own experience. Not there yet smile

3. LRobbins profile image45
    LRobbinsposted 14 years ago

The more you have the more you spend in terms of material wealth so I don't think you can put a number on it, but as travelespresso put it so eloquently, there's more than one way to measure wealth.

1. topshelf profile image61
      topshelfposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree smile

2. travelespresso profile image68
      travelespressoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hello there
      I would love to take the kudos for those wonderful words but they were actually from Carmen Borthwick. 
      I thought her words were so eloquent.  They expressed how I feel about wealth being much more a feeling of gratitude than any trinkets, baubles or a hefty bank balance.

4. trish1048 profile image69
    trish1048posted 14 years ago

I am blessed with the love of my family and friends.

However, we all know that money is a necessary evil, and just once, I'd like to know how it feels to have monetary wealth smile

5. bystuffonline profile image58
    bystuffonlineposted 14 years ago

As mentioned, wealth can refer to monetary wealth, a wealth of knowledge, many friends and family, etc.

I am wealthy since I have all that I need to survive.  I have a roof over my head, 3 meals each day, family and friends to share with, my health, and books to read.  I am content in life but still wish to grow.

6. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

I was born in a very rich family. Then I was poor. Then I was rich again. And again poor. And again rich. Now I'm poor. Next year I will be rich.
    I enjoy and have enjoyed every year of my life, because I have been wealthy of friends and my wonderful daughter. My life have been adventurous and intense. I can't ask for more !
    Money is not important, but takes your headaches away ! big_smile

7. steffer profile image60
    stefferposted 14 years ago

having the love of my wife and daughter makes me wealthy
    having not to question how to pay the bills, or to be able to set my own work hours would make me super wealthy.

already have the 1st, working on the 2th.

Donald Trump here i come smile

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

May the very best of luck go with you! smile

1. steffer profile image60
        stefferposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thanks mate, likewise

8. Zsuzsy Bee profile image86
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 14 years ago

I'm wealthy because I have three fantastic children (adults now), I'm wealthy because I have two super duper fabulous granddaughters. I'm wealthy because I  have a roof over my head, I have my pets and chickens in the barn. I'm wealthy because I live, I'm able to write and I'm wealthy because I have friends here and worldwide.

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hello dear Zsuzsy Bee, lovely to see you. When it comes to friends you are very rich indeed! Look at that fan list! :)You were so sweet to me I will never forget! smile

9. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I am wealthy I guess. I have enough to live my life pretty well, and I have a wealth of loving children and grandchildren close by.
    I have been much wealthier than I am now, and enjoyed having spare cash to share, and to be able to start a few other young men on the road to becoming wealthy by financing their businesses. Money is just another tool when you have enough of it. What you decide to do with money..... now That gets dicey! smile

10. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

What is wealth? I was once in a high income tax bracket and was miserable. Now I'm middle class and happy! So many people chase the almighty dollar, thinking it's the key to happiness - it's not. I echo the sentiments expressed here about the importance of family, friends, love, a home, a job.

11. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

In life I have been given much to be grateful for, from great poverty (both emotional and other) my life has risen to one of much wealth. I have good friends, I married into a wonderful family (mine was fragmented and taken from me as a kid), I have a fulfilling job that allows me a sense of purpose on this planet (I can think of no greater prize then knowing you are doing something that is important and actually matters) and there is unlimited potential for the future!

I would say that I am a very wealthy person indeed, now to get my bank account to reflect that reality!

12. Ralph Deeds profile image64
    Ralph Deedsposted 14 years ago

$5 million in savings will provide a conservative income of $200,000/year for life which would qualify for most people as wealthy.

The average 401k savings is $67,000 according to this source:

I believe the following figures are 2005 figures

the following is important because it shows that the average 401k amount does not represent an accurate look at individuals balances.

“The bottom line is that most people do not have the ability to contribute significant amounts of their income to a 401k plan. The IRS allows people to contribute about $14,000 /year into a 401k plan but only a small number of workers, professionals generally making over $200,000/year, can do so. Most everyone else contributes far less. A telling statistic is that the average 401k plan has about $67,000 in it. If you retire at 65 and have a life expectancy of 20 more years, $67,000 will not take you very far. But the problem with this statistic is that it is an average; the more revealing statistic is that the median amount (ie the middle point)of 401k plan balances is $17,000. When you have this large discrepancy between the average and the median, you do not get a nice bell-shaped statistical graph but something more like an inverted bell-shape as the values skewed higher at the exterminies of the values. In plain language, there are many people with high balances and many with very low balances and not too many in between.”

13. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

wealth is more a state of mind than $$, we can see how easily $$ is lost.

like Thoreau once said, 'wealth is the ability to fully experience life.' 

I have more than I ever imagined and it wakes me each morning to a new day.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)