Something positive for a change - well sort of...

Jump to Last Post 1-34 of 34 discussions (55 posts)
  1. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

What with all the deaths in the family (hubpages family) positive proof that atheists burn for eternity and joy at Mr Obama's shocking inability (sarcasm - he is a politician so I was not expecting much) to change so much as a light bulb in the White house, I wanted to share something positive for a change.

After 36 years, I have manage to quit smoking. I am now 10 weeks nicotine free. Sadly, I am also 25 pounds heavier. sad

Still - I am satisfied and had expected to put some weight on. Maybe not that much, but - I am now going to work on getting rid of that. So - new toy !!! big_smile

A mountain bike. A Merida TFS XC 700. I am a bit out of touch with bikes so do not know if they are cool or boring, but I don't care. Here she is:

http://markpknowles.com/wp-content/uploads/mountain-480x279.jpg

1. LiamBean profile image80
      LiamBeanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They are cool. With the economy in a shambles more people are riding. I hope you do a hub on your experiences in the saddle. By the way, that looks like the ideal bike.

Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. It is last years model - but I am looking forward to getting back in the saddle. I used to be obsessed with cycling - now I am old and fat. sad

Get back on that puppy and you won't feel like either for long.

2. marinealways24 profile image59
      marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

The hell with a bike, do a cage fight! It will get you in shape!

3. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cool.  I wouldn't know if it a good bike or not either then again I was super happy to cruz around on my hot pink huffy! Congrats on the 10 weeks.  smile

2. Chloe Comfort profile image60
    Chloe Comfortposted 14 years ago

Congratulations on being able to quit smoking! Don't worry about the weight. Obviously when you set your mind on something, you do it. I have no doubt that the weight will start melting off soon. Congrats again :-)

3. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

man, thats good news!!! congrats, keep it up.

4. profile image0
    TMinutposted 14 years ago

Definitely Congratulations!!

Bikes are so much fun - I'm considering trying to ride in the snow, I hear it's not as stupid as it sounds. The only bad thing about riding a bike is when you have to stop - it's addictive! And without smoker's lungs, you'll even be able to make it up a hill or two.

5. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Good for you !!
    Smoking is no good.
    And it stinks ! lol

6. sannyasinman profile image60
    sannyasinmanposted 14 years ago

I gave up 10 years ago, after smoking 20-30 a day since I was 18 years old. Based on my experience in giving up, the first 10 years are the most difficult smile

But seriously, congratulations and keep going! The weight will come off again once your metabolism readjusts. Mine did.

7. Mark Knowles profile image58

Thanks guys.

I started when I was 12 and smoked for 36 years. It feels good to be free. But I need something to replace it and a mountain bike was voted it. smile

Not going to try riding in deep snow though.

1. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
      Zsuzsy Beeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Deep snow, where in the south of France? at the beach?
      Congrats Mark good for you, 10 weeks without is great. I'm rooting for you.

Thanks. smile

The snow:

http://www.imax.com.au/content/blog/pictures/TheAlps_pic1.jpg

Should start snowing any day now.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
          rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

beautiful photo~~
          see mark, you inspired me. I read your thread and hopped on the treadmill. although it's balmy, 81 degrees here. cool

keep up the great work! your wife must be thrilled for you!

Awesome - and she is. smile

8. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 14 years ago

Congratulations!  It's a very difficult thing to do. Think of all that money you will save and all the health benefits of being a non-smoker! smile

9. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

Good for you Mark, quitting your smoking like that. So proud of ya! And dang boy you better be riding that bike everywhere and stylin' it. That bike is hot!

10. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

congrats! that has to feel good. the bike looks awesome~~
    keep up the good work!  nice to see a worthy thread here in the forums. big_smile

11. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

Congratulations! I gave up smoking a long, long time ago! I just replaced one bad habit with another! LOL!

Enjoy the bike, I know I like mine. I just wish there was less traffic to ride it in!

12. Tesa Adams profile image61
    Tesa Adamsposted 14 years ago

I am 3 years a non smoker and am very thankful that I was able to quit for good this time.  It will get easier and you feel so much better with every passing week and yes, the weight will come off especially with a cool looking mountain bike to ride.  Don't forget your helmet.

13. Mark Knowles profile image58

LOL Thanks guys.

@ Marine - a cage fight? Not a chance - last time I got in a ring was the last time I wanted to. You need to be already in shape for that stuff.

I will stick with the bike thanks.

1. marinealways24 profile image59
      marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very true, it's hard to fight when smoking! It is a hell of a rush though, unlike any other. Closest I have came to it was skydiving. Maybe you will inspire me to stop smoking. lol

Wasn't hooked on skydiving. But I hope I can inspire you to quit as well. This has been 10 weeks of hell, but as soon as I knew I wanted a bike, I knew I was over the worst. smile

14. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

Great stuff well done, I quite smoking over 9 years ago and have never smoked since, although I have replaced it with drink it just goes to show that addiction is rife!!

15. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

Awesomeness Mark!

16. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

Congrats Mark! I know how hard it is. One thing that may help is to drink lots of water when you feel the pull to go back. Smoking can be very dehydrating and hydration helps you lose weight. Good luck with it smile

17. profile image0

Hey Mark so how did you quit smoking? the patch? the gum? cold turkey? just wondering...you should know that about me lol

Cold turkey. I looked into those patches and what not - they do not work. After 6 months when you come off the patches - the statistics show exactly the same success rates as people who quit cold turkey.

F******* government and pharmacy companies!! mad

You try finding any statistics for longer than 6 months. wink

1. profile image0
        Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol very cool. My brother did it the same way and he has been clean now for I think it's been 3 years! So if he can do it I know that a kick arse strong dude like you can keep off the cigs. big_smile

18. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
    Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years ago

Mark, congrats on quitting.  It's been 6 weeks for me...about the same time I joined HubPages.

The wife and I have also been thinking about getting bikes, so I think your plan is great!  Be ever vigilant on the smoking, as I've found out the hard way it's too easy to start back.  Quit for three years once, and started again. mad

Thanks. Same to you. Figured I was spending about E200 a month on smoking - so the bike represents 4 months of not smoking.

I am over halfway there. Yes - I have had to keep away from bars for the duration. Only just starting to feel OK in a bar again.

19. profile image0
    Revive@OwnRiskposted 14 years ago

Congrats, Mr. Knowles!! I watched a couple of family members quit smoking and watched how difficult that process is. You are a determined sort, and I'm very happy for your success.

So what did you name her? (The bike.)

Yes, pharma companies run a terrible money racquet. I've been through some pretty heavy meds myself, which put me in a similar position as anyone quitting smoking, and it's pure, unadulterated hell.

Hoping you have innumerable pleasant vistas and outings on the new girl. [snicker.]
    smile

LOL

Thanks. Yes = big pharma/government inc got you by the balls every way you look.

No name as yet - we are not well enough acquainted. I will take her for a ride tomorrow and see how she treats me. I suspect it will be "that F****** B*****" until I lose some of the weight. sad

1. profile image0
        Revive@OwnRiskposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's hilarious!!
        Hate Bi*** is a pet name I use for people and things. I add other suffixes and prefixes which help clarify which is which.

Hope she's gentle on you. Make sure you have a wide seat. Those banana seats kill your blood flow between the legs. Not something new you need in your life!

20. deartfuldodger profile image60
    deartfuldodgerposted 14 years ago

congrats on quitting smoking - looks like the next step is finding healthier snacking alternatives?

sweet bike though, im jealous

The snacks went out the window when the bike arrived. wink

She is pretty though.......

21. profile image0
    TMinutposted 14 years ago

It looks like an awfully hard, flat seat, that's just the metal part right? You still need the seat cover?

22. Lady_E profile image63
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

That's lovely. Well Done.

Would have liked to see you on her.

Keep it up.  smile

23. Mark Knowles profile image58

Thanks all. smile

@ TMinut - That is the entire seat. They are more comfortable than they look. I hope. It has been a while....

Hmm...get some body lotion. Maybe some padded bike shorts. Getting chapped down there is a pain in the...

1. profile image0

There's a lovely thought lol thanks for that Liam lol

As a bike rider who went through an "indoctrination" period I'm simply speaking from experience. big_smile

1. profile image0

ooo ouchie! glad that is over for you LiamBean

24. RedElf profile image89
    RedElfposted 14 years ago

Padded bike shorts are a great idea! Congratulations on quitting smoking - I quit over 10 years ago and it was one of the best things I ever did for myself.
    Go Mark!! big_smile

25. Mark Knowles profile image58

Trust me. Padded bike shorts and a decent saddle (fi'z:ik arione) were the only extras I was willing to pay for.

Worth every penny..........

26. profile image0

I need to get my bike from my parents and get new tires. I haven't ridden my bike in years! I miss it sad

27. blue dog profile image61
    blue dogposted 14 years ago

good job, mark!

don't forget a helmet -  heads on concrete have the same effect as does a watermelon.  nasty.

28. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

Wow, congrats and the new bicycle will surely be a good company for you to keep healthy and stay fit!

29. mayhmong profile image75
    mayhmongposted 14 years ago

I love to hear good news for once! Sick of hearing sooo many bad news lately.

30. Mrvoodoo profile image58
    Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

Congrats on quitting after so long as a smoker (not easy).

And if that bike doesn't work out for you, you'd look 'the man' on something like this. big_smile

http://www.atomiczombie.com/product/overkill/overkill-lg.jpg

31. Ivorwen profile image66
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

Congratulations Mark!  That bike looks nice, enjoy your ride.

32. The Rope profile image59
    The Ropeposted 14 years ago

Congratulations Mark!  Are you working on the coffee habit next?  I'm working on the cola habit now and next comes the smoking.  Had to do it this way, cola's are the bigger addiction for me. Been looking at bikes a lot lately, want to get back into it.  Yours is an inspiration!

33. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Quitting smoking - Congratulations.

The bike - Congratulations (It's always nice to get back doing what we once loved)

The weight gain - Oh well  hmm (I've known several people who quit smoking, gain weight, and then get themselves thinner than before when they do lose it.)

34. Mark Knowles profile image58

LOL

Thanks everyone.

Seriously - it is really nice to think about something positive for a change.

Obama anti-christ/government bailouts/end times a comin.....

F*** that s*** lol

I quit smoking and bought a new bike. What coffee habit?

Happy days big_smile

That trike looks good though.........

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)