We Need a Warning on Summaries

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 14 years ago

I keep posting hubs without writing the summaries. Bad summaries can set your hub back for weeks (or ever if you don't notice). They are almost as important as the title.

Some kind of warning- like 'before you publish this hub please check the summary box' would help.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Instead of a warning, how about having the summary box at the front by default, instead of Settings?   You only need to set the Settings once so I'm not sure why it should be in front all the time.

I often write my Hubs on the fly and sometimes, I write the end before I write the whole first para.

I'm not sure when the summary self-creates but it's definitely some time before you publish.  I've gone back to look at summaries and found they contained the notes I made in the first capsule during the draft stage, not my real first paragraph!

2. RedElf profile image88
    RedElfposted 14 years ago

If you leave it to the HubPages default, it will just pick up most or part of your first paragraph. That means your first paragraph should have your top keywords and rate high for SEO - as well as draw your intended reader in.

If you are writing a separate summary for everything that's kind of throwing away your introductory paragraph, isn't it?

I know it doesn't always work well though, for poetry or a quotation, etc., so I just make it a habit to check the summary - just like making sure the Hub is assigned to a group, and checking or un-checking the slide show box, as well as checking the comments capsule for the correct options wink

Will Apseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You should try rewriting a few summaries in your hubs and seeing how much impact it has, visitor-wise. It can mean page 1, 2 or 100 on Google.

Also, if you use a heading at the beginning of your article you get a garbled summary that looks terrible in a search engine.

What annoys me most when I forget is that the first summary stays in Yahoo for ever. So if you make a mistake- spelling, syntax, a heading- you can't get rid of it easily.

As for the first paragraph, you are not throwing away your first paragraph. It remains your first paragraph.

1. RedElf profile image88
        RedElfposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much - I discovered this a while ago while looking for info in the forums wink I always rewrite or re-check the summary smile and I often add keywords to it as well...and by "throwing it away" I only meant that if you're not GENERALLY writing a good enough first paragraph to grab attention, then that might be one thing to look at as well. So sorry - didn't mean to give offense. smile

Will Apseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My internet connection was down for 48 hours- common occurrence where I live, couple that with a terrible memory (I forget that I ever posted) and my participation in forums is pretty patchy at best.

Anyway- redelf, I didn't take any offense. Perhaps I need to learn to use those emoticon things (if I could ever find them) I'm, glad your automated summaries work well.

Its when you get a page that is on page 2 or 3 of Google that that every tweak becomes important. Page 2 or 3 means some traffic, page 1 a lot, lot more. Title changes and summary text changes are the most powerful way of getting that hub onto page 1.

2. darkside profile image66
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's like a brief overview. Or a teaser. Pretty much however you want to make it, but having something original in there does give a slight advantage to the hub (and it's got to be under 500 characters).

It's also used by HubPages in results or in the authors listings for hot, best and latest.

It's of benefit to the audience too. They can read the snippet and get a grasp of what the hub is about. And they can click through and read the hub without having to read the same exact blurb.

3. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I find writing my own summary to be much more effective than just letting the Hub "grab" my first paragraph. 

But it's not necessary so having a warning doesn't seem appropriate.

3. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

I'm with Relache, it's important - but why a warning. There are lots of things that are important to the success of a hub. I like the clean and simple interface.

I actually have a yellow sticky on my computer that reminds me of 1. hubchallenge tag, 2, customized summary, 3. links. Because I tend to forget these. I prefer to customize my own reminders because these may need to change.

4. wrenfrost56 profile image56
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

I haven't written a summery for any of my hubs since I've been here. I missed that compleatly, ooops! Seems like that is something I will have to have a look at.

5. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

I just did a search on one of my hubs, and the summary that popped up was not what was in the summary field of the hub. I don't usually alter the summary, so it's usually just the first few lines of the text. The few that I searched had mixed lines from the text, but in the summary field it was word-for-word the first part of the first paragraph.

6. The Rope profile image61
    The Ropeposted 14 years ago

I spent today's "hubbing" time, reworking about half of my summaries, will see what the next week or so bring.  I really appreciate all the help we receive here - I am learning a lot and am able to experiment in an active environment.

7. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

Crafting your own SEO summery is awesome if you know how to. I will say though, that the automated one will do just fine in most cases.

~thranax~

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)