Places to visit in America

Jump to Last Post 1-37 of 37 discussions (48 posts)
  1. footynut profile image62
    footynutposted 15 years ago

I'm planning a visit to America this summer. Any suggestions on the best places to visit?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Check out the hubs in the travel section for US.
      As a Californian-- I would recommend that you could easily spend several weeks in this state-- seeing mountains, deserts, seashore and historical sites , but there are a lot of wonderful and diverse  places to visit across the whole continent.  Where are you from? It may depend on if you want to see desert, mountain, something different?

I personally thingKYosemite National Park is one of the most beautiful places on earth--- but other people have  have also made great suggestions. ALL of the National parks are spectacular.

We have had European visitors come to visit us in California and think they can pop over to the Grand Canyon for a day--- You MUST take into account the actual distances (This is not Europe).

2. Amuriel Hight profile image58
      Amuriel Hightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The west coast is amazing and while you are out there, take a trip up to the Far Northern California region, it is full of things to do and places to see.  Within about an hour of Redding, you can go to a bunch of different lakes, river rafting, hiking and to the Lava Beds National Monument where you can climb around in Lava Tube caves.  Don't forget the beautiful waterfalls in the area.

If you are interested in any kind of outdoor activities, this is a little known jewl in America and has been called "California's Best Kept Secret"

check out www.shastacascade.com for more info

2. bill komissaroff profile image82
    bill komissaroffposted 15 years ago

Ummmm....it's kinda big. 

How long is your visit, where are you starting, and how far do you want to travel?

3. footynut profile image62

The trip will be for 3 weeks. The plan is to spend 3 or 4 days in one place and then move on so we are planning on doing quite a bit of traveling. We definitely want to visit Las Vegas and The Grand Canyon. Is there anywhere that you think I should also visit during my stay in America?

4. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

See the California coast since you'll be out west.  It's worth it!   Also, en route to the Grand Canyon, stop off in Sedona--red rock country.  Unusual landscape--probably will never see anything like it:

http://www.sedona.net/

5. livelonger profile image87
    livelongerposted 15 years ago

It really depends on what kind of experience you're looking for. Are you a city person, or do you like the outdoors/nature? Cooler, woodier climates, or hot deserts? Do you like skiing, hiking, etc? There are options along the West Coast and Southwest for all of these sorts of things.

6. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 15 years ago

Kentucky is defiantly a good place to visit. The parks are free here that have the most beautiful natural scenery around.lake Cumberland and dale Hollow are wonderful.
    You can rent a houseboat and cruise ,camp out or party in one of the coves with other visitors.

Also Lexington gas horse racing,horse parks, and good restaurants.

Louisville has many art museums and crafts people.

Bowling Green is home to the Corvette museum.

There are caves to explore in Monmouth cave and Horse cave near Glasgow.

7. kerryg profile image84
    kerrygposted 15 years ago

LOL, why do all the foreigners want to go to Las Vegas? Nevada is the single most ugly state in the entire US, imnsho.

If you're going to be in that area, though, you should probably stay on the West Coast. The US is massive - try to see too much of it and you'll wear yourself out.

I'm not a desert fan (one reason for my utter loathing of Nevada) but Sedona and Santa Fe are among the neat areas in the Southwest. I don't like LA on account of the appalling traffic, but San Diego and San Francisco are both great. Yosemite and Sequoia National Parks are also really beautiful, though Yosemite in particular can be annoyingly crowded in summer. Further north, the Oregon Coast is amazing and Washington is full of great places, too. If you're more a city person, Seattle (WA) and Portland (OR) are beautiful. If you like nature, Mount Rainier, Olympic, or the North Cascades are among the many beautiful, beautiful national parks in that area. (If you aim for Olympic, be sure to stop in Port Townsend - really delightful little Victorian port town.)

1. countrywomen profile image60
      countrywomenposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the mention of Seattle(and surroundings of my home state)smile. Btw yes Las vegas/Grand canyon since they are close by and well talked about happen to be a certainty in every tourist checklist..LOL. Btw of all the national parks Yellowstone  happens to be my favorite(I have never seen so many Bisons/Elk up close in there natural surroundings) smile

1. kerryg profile image84
        kerrygposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It's my favorite, too. I'm hoping to go there later this year - I haven't been since '05 and am suffering withdrawal! Last time we were there, I dragged my unfortunate husband out of his sleeping bag at 5 AM to go wolf-watching (saw four!) and later that day we rounded a bend in the road to find a black bear ambling its way across in front of us. One of the best days of my life!

Yellowstone's kind of tricky to get to, though, unless you're specifically planning a trip around it. Totally worth it if you do, of course! There's lots of other cool stuff in the general vicinity (by which I mean within a 10 hour drive or so), such as the Bighorns, Devil's Tower, the Black Hills, and the Badlands to the east, Glacier to the north, Salt Lake City and Utah ski country to the south, and some pretty parts of Idaho to the West.

BTW, CW, didn't know you live in Seattle. Man, I could have visited you last month! My mom's originally from Ballard and we were back there visiting her parents and siblings in Jan/Feb.

1. wychic profile image85
          wychicposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And here I thought I was just biased since Yellowstone, Devil's Tower, the Bighorns, etc. are in MY home state big_smile

8. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 15 years ago

Beautiful Red Rock Country , Sedona Arizona or if you love beaches and little coffeshops, maybe some nightlife visit Southern Cali, as there is so much to do. The south is breathtaking and bluegrass country will leave you speechless, as it really does look like bluegrass, so cruise to Kentucky. smile

9. Journey * profile image67
    Journey *posted 15 years ago

I agree with kerryg. Given the time you will have, it might be most sensible to stay out mostly west. I love San Diego and recommend it for a visit. You might also want to see Seattle.

10. RKHenry profile image64
    RKHenryposted 15 years ago

Maine.  Portland, Maine is gorgeous in the Spring.  Maine is gorgeous period.

1. Raven King profile image60
      Raven Kingposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'd recommend eating at the Lobster Shack at Cape Elizabeth, Maine because the view is gorgeous and you can sit on huge logs of petrified wood.  Super tender clams. smile

11. footynut profile image62

Thanks for all your suggestions smile They were really helpful and I now have a few more places in mind to visit during my time in America. 3 weeks just isn't long enough!

1. RKHenry profile image64
      RKHenryposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Out of curiosity, where you thinking of heading off too?

12. kiwi91 profile image64
    kiwi91posted 15 years ago

If you're headed to the Grand Canyon and you're into National Parks, Bryce and Zion National Park aren't too far away, as well as Arches, Canyonlands and Capitol Reef.

I've been to all of the parks in that area, and by far my favorite, too, was Yellowstone. It adjoins with Grand Teton National Park, which is also incredible. We were there a few years back, driving through the worst thunderstorm I've ever seen, but it was gone just as quickly as it came. Some of the best photos I've ever taken were of Yellowstone scenery. Yellowstone is unique, too, because you can't escape the wildlife. It's not the type of place that you have to go hunting around to see animals, they're everywhere.

13. Dame Scribe profile image58
    Dame Scribeposted 15 years ago

I like hearing about those countries that pass the *Most Courteous* test that gets done lol but some these places just sound great smile I say..pay attention to how the iceshield had created the landscape ..that is awesome too! tongue k..strange yeah, lol

14. johnb0127 profile image61
    johnb0127posted 15 years ago

TEXAS!!!! O, and if you do, you can read my hubs on Texas!  See if you are interested!  HaHa, jk.  Hope your trip goes well!

--John

15. Orchid Eyes profile image59
    Orchid Eyesposted 14 years ago

Oregon - Crater lake
    Take a drive all the way up highway one from San Diego to Seattle. Best drive ever. Oregon is by far the most beautiful state. Not sure what you're into, but the National Parks are all spectacular. If you like city life then New York is good. Miami great nightlife.

1. profile image0
      wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree about Crater Lake.  Or, the Oregon beaches are lovely, especially the southern beaches like Yachats.

16. Colebabie profile image59
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

I suggest do the West Coast this time, and the East Coast next visit. When you do the East Coast trip I can give you plenty of places to go smile

17. vishalg8 profile image59
    vishalg8posted 14 years ago

If you have time, go to Mt Rushmore. Its amazing. Second best to Niagara Falls in US.

18. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I have seen a fair bit of America and Canada, and as an Australian I am used to a flat arid land full of beauty, yet I was amazed at a the beauty and diversity of America's wonderful volcanic lakes, huge internal waterways, and desert wonderlands of rock and sandstone that look like high rise apartments at a distance, it's tropics and cities, I love most of what I have seen so far, especially the mountains, as ours are very small. America is a wonderful place to visit!

19. B.Z. Alixandre profile image67
    B.Z. Alixandreposted 14 years ago

If going to Vegas (which really, Nevada sucks as a tourist unless you're a gambler) you MUST see the fountains at the Bellagio.  Ceasar's palace is pretty fun to.  The Lexor is just cool from the outside, so don't worry about going in, and the show at Treasure Island is kinda hokey, but totally worth the feeling of dorkiness.  The dragon fight outside of Excaliber isn't really unless you are already passing by.  New York, New York has a rollercoaster inside of it, but the best roller coaster is the one on the skyscraper, I forget what it's called.

Grand Canyon area, the southern part of Utah is beautiful and if you get the chance to go to Arches, you won't regret it.  Zion is nice too, but Arches is spectacular. In Arizona, Tucson is better than Phoenix though quite a ways from Vegas.  The Chiricuah mountains (spelling's probably wrong) are a nice break from unending desert.

If you're meandering into Cali, the 101 Pacific Hwy has some great spots and the Redwoods are breathtaking.  For cities in Cali, I'd limit it to San Diego and San Francisco (I'm a sucker for Frisco, pier 49 and all that).  In central Cali on the coast they have a spot where you can usually see some elephant seals, extremely close.  That's one of my favorite spots on that trip...if you want some pics message me, I have about 60. Monteray Bay is the best aquarium in the West, and better than lots of East Coast ones, though I haven't been to them all.

Heading up Yellowstone way you find yourself in my neighborhood, Idaho has tons of places to have outdoor fun.  The tetons are supposed to be great but I haven't been there.  The sawtooths are gorgeous though.

If you find yourself in the Pacific Northwest (Oregon, Washinton) just north of Florence are the Sea Lion caves, another awesome wildlife encounter (no pics of that though).  Seattle is lovely, and if your under 21, a small trip to Vancouver is a good booze trip (and I hear rumors that Vancouver is 420 friendly, but I don't know that for a fact). 

I hope that gets you through the continental west.

20. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

If you were at all thinking of the East coast, there's New York City and Washington D.C.  I live in New England, and I have to say that even though there are lots of pretty places in New England, I don't think I'd particularly recommend anyone use up their vacation time/money here.   We have our oceans, mountains, museums, and whatever; but - in all honesty - nothing that compares to something like the Grand Canyon.    smile

21. awesomeness79 profile image59
    awesomeness79posted 14 years ago

I went to Vegas In January and although I thought Vegas was cool, we hired a Hummer and drove out to the the Grand Canyon instead of going via helicopter. It was awesome because if we had got a chopper we would have missed the amazing sunset, scenery etc. Well worth it. Also booked it online before we went.

Enjoy your trip!

22. awesomeness79 profile image59
    awesomeness79posted 14 years ago

P.s someone gave us a great tip when we were in Vegas and that was to go up the 'Eiffel Tower' at night and time it so you see the Bellagio Fountains at night! Spectacular!

23. DonnaCSmith profile image83
    DonnaCSmithposted 14 years ago

NC's Outer Banks!

24. PerfumeFan profile image60
    PerfumeFanposted 14 years ago

Try NYC. Get a tour guide to get you started. You'll appreciate the sights if somebody explains them to you.

25. The Rope profile image61
    The Ropeposted 14 years ago

So where did you go?  and how was it?

26. sannyasinman profile image61
    sannyasinmanposted 14 years ago

Harbin Hot Springs.

27. manlypoetryman profile image82
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

Grand Canyon, Miami/Southern Florida, San Francisco/California Pacific 1, New Mexico/Colorado Mountains, Blue Ridge Parkway, Yellowstone Park, Mt. Rushmore and the whole Black Hills Area, New York City, Niagra Falls, Washington D.C., Nashville/Memphis, Tennessee, Complete tour of the Ol' Colonial America (Upper N.E.States), and miles and miles of Texas. These places would give you a sample of how great a country America is...and give you a little perspective of her uniqueness and beauty!

And the best part would be driving the highways...all across this land.

28. profile image0
    Wendi Mposted 14 years ago

San Antonio and the Hill Country in Texas, the beaches and mountains of New England, and if you get the chance...Anchorage and all points south in Alaska (by far the most beautiful place I've seen!)

29. sannyasinman profile image61

Montana.

30. profile image0
    Wendi Mposted 14 years ago

I got a speeding ticket in Montana, while driving to Alaska.

I still want to visit the state, slowly, some day!

1. wychic profile image85
      wychicposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A small tip for the less populous states...don't speed, the police are all very bored! tongue

31. sannyasinman profile image61

Boston.

1. profile image0
      Wendi Mposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Love Boston...just spent last weekend there with my mom, who was visiting from Medina, TX.

1. sannyasinman profile image61
        sannyasinmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I haven't been there for a few years, and I don't know it well, but I liked it very much . .

32. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

since nevada is very  near to california, you need to go there, if you choose a more city life, vist LA, Holywood etc, but then if you want bodies of water go to malibu..

33. NaomiR profile image75
    NaomiRposted 14 years ago

If you can make it to some of the national parks in Utah, like Bryce and Arches and Canyonlands, head there. Arches is one of my very favorite places.

34. profile image50
    Wisco99posted 14 years ago

These two suggestions are arount 1450 miles apart but well worth seeing.
    #1 The Wind River Canyon in Northwestern Wyoming is a majestic place. Also close to mineral springs and great INN's, Cody and Lander, Wyoming both have great Pioneer museums.

#2 Very unknown the hidden Gems on the backroads of the Shawnee National Forrest in Southernmost Illinois 400 mile South of Chicago. It is known as "Little Egypt" The land between the Mississippi and the Ohio Rivers.

Just google Garden of the Gods or Camel Rock both in the Shawnee National Forrest. Alsto Pass is also a gorgeous place.
    In 1825 the bank os Shawneetown, Illinois refused to loan Chicago $25,000 because "It will never amount to much!" of course the opposite happened but that is okay the beauty of the south remains. The Southern Hospitality(sic) remains intact.

Travel Safe and enjoy yourself.

35. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

I admit that the west coast is beautiful and that you could easily spend a month there an not see enough. That said, the east is a must-see as well. I would do anywhere on the coast of Maine, then drive through New Hampshire on your way to Boston, Masschusetts. From there, you can take the Mass Pike and drive through Connecticut on your way to New York City, or shoot over to see Cape Cod and then head down to Newport Rhode Island. When you leave Newport, head on over to Block Island for a taste of island life! It's a quick day trip and a ferry will take you over there.

But you can't visit the US and not see New York City! From there, it's a quick and easy train or car ride through New Jersey and Maryland on your way to Washington DC. Most of the New England states are relatively small, so traveling between them is no problem. Within 2 hours, you've been through all of Connecticut! smile

I, personally, love Pennsylvania, Virginia and the Carolinas as well. But take a look at my hubs on travel in New England. And safe travels!

36. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

Go to Maine! It's beautiful here! Ocean, mountains, lobsters! Yeah!

37. Amuriel Hight profile image58
    Amuriel Hightposted 14 years ago

Check out the Columbia River Gorge on the border between Oregon and washington, Multnomah falls is seriously one of the most beautiful places in the world in my oppinion, and just south of there, check out McKenzie river at Three Sisters (three mountains in the more mideastern part of Oregon) for the clearest, bluest water you've ever seen!!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)