Can you say that time exists?

Jump to Last Post 1-44 of 44 discussions (78 posts)
  1. ddsurfsca profile image71
    ddsurfscaposted 14 years ago

It is proven that time stops when you are moving at the speed of light.  Time as we know it on earth is a man made notion, for it is really a measurement of distance - a revolution around once.  Therefore it would be relative to where you were and how fast you are moving and not at all a constant. 
    Blocking the man made thinking about time, and suggesting it doesn't exist, therefore I am able to see tomarrow, for it is happening already, somewhere.
    Knowledge is power...and a narrow mind fills quickly.

1. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Time is not constant. Time is relative to the speed of light. As a beam of light enters the gravitational pull of any object it is slowed.
         Time is a word created by mankind. We are unable to maintain our sanity if we were to experience reality as it really is. We had to establish a dimensional understanding of reality by assuming a beginning with one single directional movement.
      Time was imagined by man in an effort to focus upon an imagined reality that we are able to deal with.

I am not swearing to the accuracy or validity of what I just said.  BUT  it is a plausible possibility that I refuse to dismiss.

1. profile image50
        SpiderPigSheepposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

The subject of the speed of light and the inconsistency of time can be a good thread. Since these realities are not constant; with what degree can we ascertain any certainty?
             The constant speed of light and consistency of TIME was once thought to be a reality. Because the beliefs concerning a reality is proven false does not eliminate the reality of its existence.
             I have never said that I believe the common interpretations that have been taught concerning scripture. In fact I agree with you that "Religion" is flawed. I believe the basic fundimentals of the bible; BUT for the past 1900 years teachings of interpretations of scripture have flourished leaving important truths on the wayside.
              We can not assume that because an arrow goes astray that the bow is defective.

2. pioneer_writer5 profile image58
        pioneer_writer5posted 14 years agoin reply to this

If man needed to create time to make sense of the world, how do you know if you will in fact be able to maintain your sanity if you attempt to dismiss time as part of your reality?

I am swearing to nothing but this is what I think is a plausable reality.
            God said that he IS the beginning he IS present, he IS in the future. Seems to me that he said that all time, past,future, and present is NOW. The human mind can not process all of this in its physical form. He would be jumping out of the way of a bus the day before the bus leaves the depot; he would be doing  stuff like that.  He had to refuse to accept all of that other reality that his mind could not process coherently. He focused on the now!! After some  "?time?" he opens one eye and focused in a single direction. His perception of time developed  in a straight forward single direction. "Yea" the nightmares went away and the concept of time has been established.
            So you might say that we all are our own prisoners of our own mind.
             And you might ask, What is REALITY , really   
             And is anyone realy a free thinker??

2. pioneer_writer5 profile image58
      pioneer_writer5posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very interesting. That being the case how can you live outside the constructs that man's concept of time places upon each of us?

3. mohitmisra profile image61
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Time was invented by man and doesn't really exists all that exists is the now .

Then at the same time,

"Live for now and plan for tomorrow,
      Otherwise expect sorrow." smile

4. cheaptrick profile image73
      cheaptrickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm a physics nerd and just want to say how great it is to read all of the insightful posts on this subject.your all wonderful!here's a mind bender for ya.Imaginary Physics!No, i didn't make it up,honest.So here's the ground work.The basic particle is a Tack-eon(did I spell that right?).this particles base speed is the speed of light,it accelerates from there.What do y'all suppose would happen to time in that scenario?...

1. mohitmisra profile image61

Tachyon smile it is hypothetical.

5. cbfglass profile image57
      cbfglassposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is not true time does not stop at the speed of light,
      and there is no proff that it does.
      Time as we know it, is not repeat not man made.
      Again you are wrong in thinking that time is not constant,
      it is very much so always a constant.
      you will never see into the correct tomarrow, for your mind is the narrow one. ANSWER TO CREATION @HUBPAGES

2. TimTurner profile image69
    TimTurnerposted 14 years ago

Time is definitely relative and acts differently on many variables.  Gravity affects time so even just flying in a commercial airliner "slows" your day down by milliseconds.

Einstein proved the speed of light example.  It's pretty fascinating.

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Does time exist?

Yes, time exists, because we've defined it, even relatively, by science.

Time exists because we've proved it to be a reality.

Reality exists. Reality exist free of independent thought, desires, will, or wishes. Reality is all knowable.

We know time exists, because we can measure it or watch it go by. Hence, it is part of reality.

4. ediggity profile image61
    ediggityposted 14 years ago

This is a pretty good overview of time:

http://www.timephysics.com/

Some of it is opinion, but there are a lot of good points.  Photon acceleration helps to explain the speed of light adjustment of time in space.

5. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

time may not exist at the most fundamental level of physical reality.

time is a part of the fabric of the universe. how do we 'measure' a dimension?

clock time is not measured. we can't see it or capture it. hmm

6. pioneer_writer5 profile image58
    pioneer_writer5posted 14 years ago

I think we can agree on one thing. Time (as we know it) did not always exist.

7. mintinfo profile image63
    mintinfoposted 14 years ago

Interesting topic. I am currently reading (On Time) by Michael Shallis. We manage the progression of our existence by breaking it up into meaningful increments and call it Time. We determined the atomic clock to be the most accurate but in order to keep in step with our reality we use it in combination with astrological time. Adjusting for the unevenness of Earths rotation.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

the timekeepers themselves at the government lab where the atomic clock is kept have stated that the clock does not measure time.

time is defined by the number of clicks of their clocks.

tick tock tick tock

8. pioneer_writer5 profile image58

I don't think anyone one can really be a free thinker. We are too attached to the ideologies of someone's theories or the interpretation of something in the universe. But we can never really think beyond what we know. We can learn more about who we are and where we live, but never really go beyond the scope of what is actually in existence. If time is movement, then time with God should also reflect movement. We say time passes, it never stands still. If God is in the present and future now then like your statement that at the speed of light time stops. God is without or outside of time. And since we are very much captive to the confines of time in our physical state, we can never really know how God really perceives time. Time is relative unfortunately, in the end we will look at our clocks and realize we have some obligation that requires our attention at this specific time.

1. mohitmisra profile image61

This is not correct, the masters are just guides . One needs to connect these teaching with his own life in order to understand their meaning.One needs to become a  master - a Buddha or a Christs is the purpose of life.
      It is imperative that one becomes free thinker.

You can gain enlightenment and be one with god, then you will go into a timeless state .

With god all is happening now, the past, present and future. smile

9. kess profile image61
    kessposted 14 years ago

Time is cherished by those who believe to have a begining and is most certainly is expecting all come to an end.

We all have been given time or space to get to know our true self whether we are the Sons of The All and unlimited Goodness, self existing one.

Or are we sons of the his  rival who existence is bound within time and space and way is perpetually evil.

For Goodness is destined to perpetually grow and prosper.
    While evil is destined to disintegrate into nothing similar to fire which would grow as long as there are things to be  consumed but finally will consume itself.

What we do with time eventually tells us who we are.
    For are we busy with the things that will eventually perish or are we busy with the things that are perpetual?

Remember the only goodness that  is truly good is the one that comes from the pure heart tried by truth (Christ)

10. mintinfo profile image63
    mintinfoposted 14 years ago

My key words are "meaningful increments". I did not say that time exists. I said we attempt to manage what we are experiencing by breaking up the progression of our reality into what we consider to be "meaningful increments". You can tap your finger on the table also and call it time because it is relative to your reality. The time we use is an attempt to manage universal reality.

11. ddsurfsca profile image71
    ddsurfscaposted 14 years ago

OK, now in case you missed it in the first part, I am claiming that I was taught by my grandma at a very young age, say 31/2 or 4, that time did not really exist, therefore allowed my mind to be free of it's confines, which then allowed me to be able to train my mind to look beyond that, to around the corner of tomarrow and see what is there, for we are in agreement that it is all happening right now, right??

12. pioneer_writer5 profile image58

If you are free of time's confines then can the future really exist?

13. pioneer_writer5 profile image58

Here are some questions posed by my spouse:

What is the best part of the day?

What season do you like the most?

How old are you?

14. profile image0
    zampanoposted 14 years ago

You never read Kant you guys ?

15. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

What if they all exist at the same time?

What if, future and present occur at the same time.
      I think that that is a strong possibility. But our mind can conceive but one at a time..
         I will paraphrase what God said; I am "did happen", I am "happening", I am "going to happen". And if that is true we are forced to stretch our imagination even further.  Having free will, we have multiples of potential futures. This would mean that these  multitudes of possible futures  also are happening now as is past and present.

What!!!

1. profile image0
        Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Crystaline Nebulosity. Thanks. lol

Every one goina think I'm crazy

1. profile image0

Goina think? lol

Yea !  But they don't know tha half of it.

16. fatfist profile image65
    fatfistposted 14 years ago

Time is not a property of the universe. Time is an observation: tick tock tick tock!

This is why relativity is dependent on subjective observations, and without them, it collapses to pieces.

There are many stupid relativists in this thread. At least Einstein and Hawking are not alone in their blind beliefs.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Einsteins-Idiots-4

17. profile image0

They had their moment in the sun.

18. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I make up for lost time when I am at home with DeeDee.

19. profile image0

Walrus.
    You sure done a lot of transformation from the moment you were inside the big wave to here.

20. profile image0

How so? LOL

Caint ya tell?  I think a lot of stuff that seems crazy to me. But all things are possible. I heard. and I agree

1. profile image0

Time fer another Jump chapter, huh? smile

Sometimes tha crazy stuff makes more sense than the    reality that the majority agrees upon.  ya think

1. profile image0

I agree. This reality is getting boring wink

2. profile image0
        ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe because it is impossible.

21. profile image0

Well, don't forget the present.
    And Christmas is almost there
    hehehe

1. profile image0

Too sharp. I cut meself on that one lol

22. profile image0

Right, and the walrus will fly with Santa this year. wink

23. profile image0

The walrus was Paul, I believe.

24. profile image0

If you ever bleed, make sure you're apart
    and I'd say (repeating someone else)
    That a majority will never be right.
    A minority... perhaps.

25. barryrutherford profile image75
    barryrutherfordposted 14 years ago

interesting posts on time A subject that continues to fascinate lots of us.

heres a thought.

"You can buy a watch but you cannot buy time."

Just wondering . when we are killing so much time what does that effect eternity?

26. profile image0

I don't have a license for hunting time.

27. profile image0

I can't afford a watch anymore, I ain't got much time. Hell even flowers are scary to me now. LOL

28. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

The speed of light and time aint constant?  Wonder if it is going to be late in the AM

29. profile image0

I live in da future, I woodn't no...

Yea I see ya there awallago

1. profile image0

lol

1. tantrum profile image59
          tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol jerami ,you're making me laugh !! lol

And that make my heart smile.  Thanks

1. tantrum profile image59
              tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

cool smile

1. profile image0

nice shades

30. tantrum profile image59
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Why are all of you wasting so much time ?

Somebody said that there's too much of it in tha same place

31. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Time is an illusion, but it seems pretty real to my face!

32. Jerami profile image58

started to start another thread but did not know how to start off the conversation.  didn't want to be too rude with the title

33. Jerami profile image58

Time is real in this house. Been swettin all day and Wife says I gotta go hose down before bed time.  Back in a little bit

1. profile image0

Okie day.

34. yoshi97 profile image55
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

Time is a relativistic measure that allows us to witness things progress in order. However, time is not a constant and it is theoretically possible - with multiple dimensions - to have every moment in time exist within a singularity at once.

That being said, time exists only as a measure to allow us to measure progressions, but it is not a physical propery such as the length and width of an object.

As for traveling past the speed of light ... any particle that did so would fly apart and disintegrate ... however ... an object COULD travel faster than the speed of light ... theoretically ... without breaking Einstein's theory of relativity.

What I am about to propose isn't possible for us - at least not at this point in time - and in all probability never will be, but here is how it works.

Space is a fabric that is capable of being warped (black holes are a prime example of this). Now if one could generate a power source capable of warping space in front of a spaceship and then travel over that fold then the amount of space one could cover in an instant is only limited to the size of the fold.

To illustrate this principle, get out a lined piece of paper and write number down the page form 1 to whatever number you get to at the bottom.

Now, draw a line down to the number 10 and write 10 light years. We will say - for the sake of argument - that you just traveled 10 light years in 10,000 years (with each line representing 1 light year and 1,000 years of travel.

Next, fold the paper so that the starting point and the ending point meet. As the two points touch, you have now traveled 10 light years instantaneously. That's the premise of warp travel - which was a theory well before Star Trek used it.

Again, I wouldn't look for this happen anytime during our existence, but if it did - that's how it would be done. smile

1. profile image0
      zampanoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey yoshi.
      I'm not sure that it would float if you fold it that way...

35. donnaisabella profile image74
    donnaisabellaposted 14 years ago

Here is a little poem on reflections of time that I wrote when I was 17 or so.

INVISIBLE KINGDOM

All men are kings
    arrayed in raiment of a rare kind
    with acres of land round about them
    and furry animals purring at their feet;
    the earth is filled with castles.

Every man is a king
    born into a kingdom
    a heir to the most superior throne
    with servants in recourse surrounded
    and palaces all around.

There are dynasties
    spent without successors
    kings mourned before they died,
    all men die kings
    no one need succeed another
    because all are born kings.

In all this splendor of kingship
    there are kings who have died
    without crowns,
    millions of them indeed;
    some men long after they were dead
    have been remembered as kings;
    most, never.

I talk of the kingdom of time
    into which every man is a successor,
    that priceless gift,
    that in sorrow many have not seen,
    in pursuit of wealth they have
    discarded their crowns which neither
    silver nor gold can buy.

From the bulging womb
    and sweet mother care,
    men and women,
    kings and queens in all are released to their kingdom power,
    mothers having established their kingdoms for long
    with ceaseless hopes,
    for all men are born kings.

Millions abandon kingship
    leaving kingdoms with
    gates wide open to raging foes,
    wander to lands of poverty
    to live in subjection to passion and pride,
    mammon, education, success, alcohol, fornication, multiple
    pleasures;
    and have many slaves,
    they own trillions and their worth goes into infinity;
    vain kings they are who never reign or give life,
    kings without subjects.

God the father knows,
    many men die slaves
    but the world sends them away as kings;
    given to poverty or wealth,
    forgetting Jesus Christ,
    they have their kingdoms invaded by the enemy;
    they are conquered and not conquerors,
    others are laid in graves with no dirge written
    or song sang and no crowns raised to them,
    kings who never knew they were.

© 1988 Isabella Mukanda-Shamambo. All rights reserved.

36. profile image0

Well, so much for my Science project...

37. Jerami profile image58

I kinda like gettin into way out thinkin thangs....

Many people believe in mentel perseption such as in the case of two twins; one thinkin a question and the other thinkin the answer simultaniously!
        Science knows the speed of light.
        Does science know what the speed of thought is?????

38. profile image0

I knew you was goina say dat big_smile

Well you shoulda said it first and then (one) somebody woulda been suprised and impressed.

39. profile image0
    Minnalousheposted 14 years ago

It's one thing to talk about the relativity of time, it's more fun to experience. Try this for grins :-)

Interisting,.?

40. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

We move through time and space, how fast we are moving through one medium impacts how quickly we are moving through the other. This is why if you move quickly enough through space your movement through time slows down relative to that movement through space. I have writtien a hub on this and while I wont spam the forums I just can't resist saying I have written on this topic tongue

41. Niteriter profile image59
    Niteriterposted 14 years ago

I can't say for certain that time exists but it sure as heck seems to stand still when my wife is on my back for forgetting to take out the garbage.

42. andromida profile image55
    andromidaposted 14 years ago

Sequence of events is interpreted by time in human mind.So,we use time as a way to distinguish the sequence of events -the way we are now posting our opinion in this forums one by one.I think traveling at the speed of light only slows down the time with the reference time of our planet earth;time does not completely stops in a spacecraft moving at the speed of light.

43. Niteriter profile image59
    Niteriterposted 14 years ago

I always enjoy cerebral titillation but, personally, I don't see that it leads anywhere useful... unless you're on the payroll of some university.

44. cbfglass profile image57
    cbfglassposted 14 years ago

YES THE WORD T I M E WAS CREATED BY MAN,
    BUT ONLY THE WORD.
    THE TRUTH OF WHAT TIME REALLY IS HAS YET
    TO BE DISCOVERED BY MANKIND.
    FOR THOSE WHO THINK THAT TIME IS NOT CONSTENT,
    BOY YOU HAVE A LOT TO LEARN.
    AS WELL AS TIME DOES NOT STOP AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT.
    TIME IS ONE OF THE MAJOR PLAYERS IN THE FORMULA
    OF CREATION, WITHOUT TIME NOTHING IS POSSIBLE.
    cbfglass@hotmail.com ANSWER TO CREATION
    THE FORMULA REVEALED BY FUSSELL

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)