Kennel cought

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (14 posts)
  1. profile image52
    winnie_barkeyposted 14 years ago

My st bernard was 4 months old, when i bought him that time he was having kennel cought, i hv brought him to doctor for several time but still no cure. what other way i can do ?

1. Brett Winn profile image81
      Brett Winnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Kennel Cough generally resolves within three weeks. If he is coughing longer than that, the cough might be caused by something else ... roundworms would be my guess. (I once many years ago actually saw a puppy cough up a round worm .... eeewww!) I recently rescued a kitten that was wormy, and she had a cough as well that resolved once I'd treated her for roundworms.

I hope he's better soon!

Brett

1. Whitney05 profile image84
        Whitney05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Kennel cough can develop into other health conditions, like pneumonia, which although rare ca be fatal in dogs.

And yes, it is possible that the cough is caused by something else. Hopefully the vet diagnosed the illness right.

2. profile image55
      babygirl33posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Kennel cough can genarally resolve within three weeks.It is like pneumonia.it can be fatal to your pets.

3. susansisk profile image80
      susansiskposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you bought him with this, the breeder you bought him from should have to pay for treatment with antibiotics.  It is contagious, so probably all their puppies had it.  Maybe they would also pay to have him vaccinated against it.

2. Jackson Riddle profile image49
    Jackson Riddleposted 14 years ago

My dog had this a couple of weeks ago. I don't like doing this to him but he got very little excersise for the next week and a half as his cough got less and less pronounced until nearly two weeks after the vet said he had kennel cough he finally stopped coughing.

So, you just have to wait it out I guess, although in such a young dog I am not sure.

3. Sara Tonyn profile image60
    Sara Tonynposted 14 years ago

Call a different vet and tell him/her you think your dog has kennel cough. Explain what you've done so far and tell the vet that the cough doesn't seem to be going away. Ask if there's anything more you can do.

Chances are the vet will want you to bring your dog in for a visit to make sure it's really kennel cough before giving any definite advice over the phone.

Why keep taking your dog to the same vet if your dog isn't getting any better?

Is your dog eating and drinking normally? Does he seem to have a fever? (warm, dry nose; hot ears)

Is he sleeping more than usual? (Less activity is better for him while he has the cough but if he has NO energy, he's feeling sick.)

Does he respond to his name and want to play?

I read that you can put a little honey on a piece of bread and feed it to your dog to reduce the coughing. Also, honey is a natural antiseptic ("germ-killer") so it may help clear up whatever is causing the cough.

(People used to put honey on open wounds to kill germs and speed healing. Actually, you still can do it. It works! But it's sticky... )

4. Whitney05 profile image84
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

There is a treatment for kennel cough. If your vet said there's no a cure, definitely find another one.

You can also put the dog in a bathroom or small room with a humidifier to help, as well as offer various natural ingredients to ease coughing and throat soreness.

Like Sara said, why keep taking the dog to the same vet if he's not getting any better. Definitely find another vet.

5. Brett Winn profile image81
    Brett Winnposted 14 years ago

PS ... I'm not a vet, but I would think that if it IS kennel cough that he has, that having it would certainly provide him with immunity as long as a vaccination would!

6. Whitney05 profile image84
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

It is not fatal, but the respiratory illness that can develop from kennel cough can be. It's rare, but possible for a dog to die from pneumonia that was developed bc of kennel cough.

Here's a hub with load of info I wrote this morning, inspired by this thread. It has info on treatment options, causes, diagnosis, etc.

The vaccination is not effective if the dog already has kennel cough. It is a preventative measure, not a treatment.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Canine-Kennel-Cough

7. Brian Leighton profile image59
    Brian Leightonposted 14 years ago

I agree that you should definately bring your dog to a different Vet. Antibiotics can be given to help clear up Kennel Cough, but I would also be trying to ascertain the cause of it at the same time.

8. Infomum profile image61
    Infomumposted 14 years ago

My 7 month old boxer has just had kennel cough.  The vet gave her a week of antibiotics, and suggested a childrens expectorant cough mixture.

My dog pretty much stopped coughing by the time the antibiotics had finished. So a week of medication and confinement to the house and (small) yard did the trick.

I was surprised that she got kennel cough as she has been vacinated for it - but aparently there are strains that the vaccination doesnt protect against.

9. profile image48
    livingequineposted 14 years ago

I rescued a blue heeler, he had phemonia so bad. learned that it was caused by kennel cough after he passed it to my other dog.

He was on antiboitics for 4 weeks, it has now been 2 months since i stopped treatment. he no longer coughs but still gets a gurgle in his throat sometimes.

My other dog was fine in 2 weeks with a little antibiotics so it didnt trun to phemonia.

10. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

We have our son vacinated before each fall semester.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)