The Journalist who threw the shoes to Bush. Do you ap

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (113 posts)
  1. dentist83 profile image61
    dentist83posted 14 years ago

The Journalist who threw the 2 shoes to Bush.  Do you approve his action.  Tell Why.

1. Pr0metheus profile image58
      Pr0metheusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, just like I don't approve of the congress man yelling 'liar' at Obama.  It doesn't matter how much you like or dislike the president, he's still the commander in chief.  Treat him with respect or get the hell out.

1. tksensei profile image59
        tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Get the hell out of where? The incident took place in Iraq.

1. Pr0metheus profile image58
          Pr0metheusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Congress meets in Iraq?  News to me.

??? Come again?

2. profile image0
        F. Kenneth Taylorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I approve of the journalist's action, Bush deserved to get hit, I'm just mad the guy missed.  Pr0metheus, it doesn't matter if Bush was President/'Commander-In-Chief', that doesn't automatically grant him 'respect'.  Respect is EARNED - not given simply because of a title someone holds.  Bush did nothing respectable in 8yrs but be relieved of duty as President of the United States

1. profile image0
          A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you, by that I mean I agree that Joe Wilson did the right thing by calling Obama a liar! He deserves no respect simply because he is the President!

3. profile image0
        skylinerj34posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry! I don't care who you are. If you're a criminal, you're a criminal. I'm just tired of the double standard in the way treat the poor or average Joe criminal and the rich or "prestigious" one.

2. marinealways24 profile image60
      marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think it's funny how the secret service got no coverage for failing. Bush would have been screwed if those shoe's had bombs in them.

1. darkside profile image66
        darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'd assume that scanning and sniffing procedures were in place. It's hard to detect a whiff of an impending throw though.

1. marinealways24 profile image60

lol agreed

Don't you think they should have reacted in between the first and second shoe?

Remember, they have missed shoe bombs going onto airplanes. This is government workers we are talking about.

3. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How would you feel if they did it to President Obama?

1. egiv profile image60
        egivposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If Obama invaded my country for made-up reasons, destroyed everything and called it a victory because now I could live a better life I would throw my shoe at him.

1. profile image0

Thats not what I asked.

1. egiv profile image60

Because your question takes for granted that the policies of Bush and Obama are comparable. I believe Bush's actions in this situation were wrong, and I believe that Obama's in this situation are not wrong. So given Obama's current actions, I would feel it unjustified to throw a shoe at him. In Bush's situation, while I would not personally do it or recommend it, I can sympathize more with the man who threw it than with the person it was thrown at.

2. tksensei profile image59

What if he liberated your people from a ruthless, brutal dictator and gave you your first ever opportunity for real democracy?

1. egiv profile image60

What if he killed your family and friends in the process?

When are people going to learn that the USA is NOT THE WORLD POLICE. We did not invade Iraq for the sake of Iraqis, we did it for UNITED STATES INTERESTS.

1. profile image0
              Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So what? That doesn't mitigate the benefits that came to the Iraqis as a result.

1. egiv profile image60

What benefits? Democracy? What does democracy matter when your friends and family are dead? It's easy to talk about life, death and war from your comfy computer chair.

1. profile image0

Yeah, you're right. Why should I give a hoot that 40 million people are longer at the whim of a vicious dictator? Especially since I'm so "comfortable"

1. egiv profile image60

And where is all this compassion for Africans in Sudan, Zimbabwe, Congo, etc?

2. Valerie F profile image59
                  Valerie Fposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are assuming that the people posting here aren't willing to put their own lives on the line for their freedom and the freedom of others.

1. profile image0

Exactly

2. profile image0

you are also assuming that none of us have served in combat situations.

3. tksensei profile image59

Dictators count on thinking like that. Freedom requires a higher sort of human being.

1. egiv profile image60

And who are YOU to decide who is a "higher sort of human being??" You just prove the stereotype of Americans who think they are better than the rest of the world. I never said I have something against democracy; I have something against invading countries for false reasons.

Answer my question first.

4. fishskinfreak2008 profile image60
      fishskinfreak2008posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely not. He's essentially DEMANDING Bush put his foot in his mouth. Also, THIS IS EXTREMELY UNCIVILIZED

5. dutchman1951 profile image61
      dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

No I do not approve, especially for a trained Journalist, no. Write the facts as you find them. Like the sign says in the Student Newspaper office at Auburn University; "if your mama says she loves you...check it out!" In Other words verify the sources, ask your questions and keep the personal emotions out of it.

Jon

6. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ooh tough question

one side of me says 'hells yeah!' and the other side says 'no of course not no one should throw their shoe at an ex-President no matter how revolting'. i guess since it was probably a shoe thrown against America then, no.

plus it was highly unprofessional of that so-called journalist.

7. Make  Money profile image65
      Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No I don't approve.  He missed.  A little high and to the left. lol

1. profile image0

Ditto.

1. Make  Money profile image65
          Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh you don't approve because you think the journalist should have hit him too?  lol

1. profile image0

Yea, you know it.

8. LiamBean profile image80
      LiamBeanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually, I was impressed with Bush's ducking skills. A skill he might have acquired as a baseball team manager/owner.

9. Lifes Joke profile image60
      Lifes Jokeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

....Lmao of course...

10. T_Augustus profile image61
      T_Augustusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am in no way a fan of George Bush, or his Republican cohorts, but I am an American first.  I do not approve his action because it was a blatant show of disrespect for our country and our president.

11. Jackson Riddle profile image49
      Jackson Riddleposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If it is worth going to jail for a year

2. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I approve of anyone with good aim. I aim to stay away from dentists.

3. profile image0

Maybe you're right, but at least it were better than throwing a backpack.

4. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Did you see those shoes? They had no style whatsoever. I would have ducked too.  No way would I have let those ugly shoes brush my person.

5. profile image0

Yeah me too. Funny how all  Presidents are most artful at that.

6. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 14 years ago

They should have given the guy a Nobel Peace Prize.

They 'should have' given the guy what they probably did give him after he was dragged out of there - a viscious beating.

Did he hit Bush with the shoes or did he miss?

Not sure, but I think Bush dodged them.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
            rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Bush dodged him , he was quick.

He missed. Good thing for him that he did.

A vicious beating for a miss, what would he have got for a non-lethal shoe to the face?

Hopefully, the beating plus 20 years. At least.

2. marinealways24 profile image60

Bush is the anti-christ.

1. profile image0

Now you're a believer?

lol You believe everything you read marine?

And people here keep complaining about Obama being criticized...

He is the second anti-christ.

1. profile image0

Ah...Jesus oops

3. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure he got a few of those while he was spending the year or so in prison.

I sure hope so.

4. LiamBean profile image80
        LiamBeanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Funny you should say that. Muntadar al-Zaidi said that's exactly what happened to him.

Throw a shoe and miss and get the s&^% beaten out of you. Hey, maybe they beat him for missing. Just a thought. big_smile

7. Valerie F profile image59
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

That the shoe-thrower, his family, and his neighborhood weren't all killed in reprisal is a testimony to the fact that we did something right in Iraq.

Imagine what would have happened to him if he'd directed such an insulting gesture to Saddam Hussein.

1. egiv profile image60

And all we needed to do was kill 655,000 people. We are so much better! Go USA!

ps. Can you guess who sold chemical weapons to Saddam in the 80's to use against Iran?

2. profile image56
      C.J. Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ok....Best answer so far.

8. emdi profile image63
    emdiposted 14 years ago

It proves two personalities.

Shoe thrower - Not an expert thrower. Did not have skils to hit the target. Needs more training. Good luck next time.

Bush - Expert ducker. Focused and alert against imminent dangers. Has great future.

9. Valerie F profile image59

We also don't have our troops use civilian populations as human shields.

1. egiv profile image60

You are trying to take the moral high ground where it simply is not there. If you argue that Iraq was in the United States' long-term interests, you might have something, but you are saying that we are morally better than them. Does 655,000 people mean anything? That's over 102,000 DOCUMENTED CIVILIAN DEATHS. Note that 3,500 died in 9/11. How can you possibly argue that we are morally better than "them"?

Who is "them"?

1. egiv profile image60

An undefined generalization of Iraqis, differentiated only by the fact that they are not "us." (i.e. "we" don't use human shields)

I don't think the reference was to Iraqis but to terrorists. We were never out to make war against the Iraqi civilian population.

1. egiv profile image60

You have perfected the art of taking a quote out of context to change the subject.

I can argue because our general rules in wartime are better. We're not the ones intentionally hiding among civilians. Do you think the insurgents in Iraq or Afghanistan care about civilian deaths besides using them as an excuse to bash the US? If they did, they'd come out and fight like real men instead of deliberately hiding out where the battle is likely to rack up the most civilian casualties.

How about those civilian casualties during WW2?

1. egiv profile image60

I agree that hiding among civilians is immoral and it is not right that terrorist groups do it. Our soldiers were thrown into a ridiculous situation; they should not have been there. The war was unjustified, so the deaths are our fault. Who is worse, al-Qaeda for doing these horrible things, or us for being there and killing everyone when we should not be there?

The British said the same thing -- "come out and fight like real men" -- to Americans in the revolutionary war. WWII doesn't have anything to do with it because it was a just cause.

1. profile image0

Your analogy is inaccurate. No one was hiding behind civilians in the American Revolution, nor behind women and children - or wearing burqas to escape fire.

1. egiv profile image60

Point taken. Dinner's ready, I'm out. My argument is just that we have no right to claim the moral high ground based on Iraq; it's just not accurate.

2. Friendlyword profile image59
              Friendlywordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You were there? Regardless of what you think about warfare, the first rule is to survive to fight another day. Are you saying our soldiers should stand still and  throw rocks at an approching tank?  There's a real man for ya!

By hiding behind groups of children? Shooting out from Mosques and hospitals and schools? That part of your first rule?

1. Friendlyword profile image59
                  Friendlywordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As horrifying as it is. It is a rule of war. Not my rule. And of course hiding behind children is beyond punk action. It's just crazy to think somebody is gonna make it easy for you to kill them.

No, that's cowardly terrorism.

You are acting as if the war in Afghanistan was completely unprovoked. I suppose you think we should have never gotten involved in WW2, and the attack on Pearl Harbor as well as an attempted invasion should have gone completely unanswered.

I regret that the US was the first to use atomic weapons. I hope it won't happen again. But it's the US's business to protect US citizens first and foremost. It's not the US' fault if another country fails to do the same for their citizens.

1. egiv profile image60

We're talking about Iraq. The shoe-thrower was not from Afghanistan.

1. Valerie F profile image59

As for Iraq, the conflict there began after Saddam Hussein had spent 12 years thumbing his nose at the UN weapons inspectors. If he really had no WMD's- other than what he dumped on the Kurds- he made no effort to prove it.

3. tksensei profile image59

How nice that we have YOU to tell us what is 'a just cause' and what is not. Since you don't find democracy all that important I guess you'd like to see an enlightened dictator control the world and do everyone's thinking for them.

10. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

Not sure if I approve or disapprove but I found it funny as heck! I guess I would say I would rather people angry at american policy throw their shoes at the pres. then commit an act of terrorism.

11. Valerie F profile image59

To some people, it makes no difference if we're talking about Bush or Obama. One American is just as bad as another.

Of course I don't approve of shoe-throwing, but it's easier and far safer to dodge shoes than RPG's.

12. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I don't approve of the show-throwing, but I don't think the perpetrator should have received harsh punishment. No harm, no foul.

Heck, I was just impressed with W's reflexes!

I've seen plenty of politicians I wanted to lob missiles at!

13. Francis911 profile image59
    Francis911posted 14 years ago

No.
    We must respect one another.

14. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

no . attacks on my president are direct attempts to topple my nation in my view. like him or not i wont have it.on a side note did anyone see that a Saudi offered   a million dollars for the shoe? how crazy is that.

15. dentist83 profile image61
    dentist83posted 14 years ago

Someone knows which were the last numbers of <new Iraqis orphans/ per hours> of Bush government during war?  Don't you think those orphan deserve to throw at least a shoe to the face of the president bush?

16. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

You don't make sense and you don't have an arguement.

17. Make  Money profile image65
    Make Moneyposted 14 years ago

Well we finally agree on something sneak.  How about that. smile

18. rae1001 profile image61
    rae1001posted 14 years ago

Yes, I approve. Bush deserved it.

19. akeejaho profile image60
    akeejahoposted 14 years ago

Well, since throwing a shoe is considered an insult, I have a whole box of old ones in the closet earmarked for Good Will, but now I wonder if a shoe bombing in Texas is in order. 

Mr. Bush would you care to step out on the deck a moment?

You might end up worse off than the Iraqi guy did.

20. akeejaho profile image60
    akeejahoposted 14 years ago

True, perhaps just a shoe drop?

21. tksensei profile image59
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

How about just supporting and voting for candidates you agree with and organizing with like minded citizens to advocate for positions you feel are important?

22. profile image0
    Go Writerposted 14 years ago

I thought journalists were supposed to be objective.

He's fired.

23. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

We're still talking about that pea-brain?  His behavior was bizarre, offensive, and worthy of prosecution -  no matter which President or leader of any other nation was involved.  What an infantile and moronic way to "show disapproval".

1. Sara Tonyn profile image60
      Sara Tonynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Shoe-throwing is a customary way of showing disapproval in Iraq though.

Here in America, we use bullets.

Who's worse?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)