Can a war be logical?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (63 posts)
  1. rhamson profile image71
    rhamsonposted 14 years ago

War is the failure of politics and is exacerbated by greed.

1. profile image51
      BannedMarine3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Depends how you take it.  If a war is fought for a political reason how can that be logical when there are two sides to the story based on a political dialog. (no resolution)  If it is fought for greed based on the failure of the political dialog then there is a question of logic based on the unanswered questions of the political debate.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

war can never be logical

killings cant be solved by another killings

1. profile image51

Deleted

1. prettydarkhorse profile image61
        prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thank you, I believe that life is precious and that if you instigate a war you are offering many lives...

like for example the government sending troops to Afghanistan and IRAQ, why do they need to do it, how about those who are killed there, thousands already, is it in anyway different to the people who are killed at Ft. Hood Texas, dead is dead and human lives are important, so much so the people who are left behind to grieve, war causes damaged beyond repair, emotional and psychological problems..

1. cmlindblom profile image71
          cmlindblomposted 14 years agoin reply to this

most of the service members goin over and dieing are dieing for what they love... for marines we just love war and going over there is what we all want too doo. iff we die it was just because our hobby is dangerous

I think that that is a very good answer for the person fighting the war.  Your training is to defeat the enemy not coddle or debate the ramifications.  But when dealing with foreign policy and diplomacy the political solution must be run to the end before hostilities take place.

2. profile image51

If there is a group of 10 extremist religious suicide bombers whose belief is human sacrifice by blowing themselves up along with Americans in dedication to their God, What would be your logical solution? Ignore them? The logical answer would be to eliminate them. Do you think their belief could be changed if they had overwhelming faith that Americans are evil?

Is the case cited based on no provocation and no past history?  Did both parties have something to have a beef about?  You have to ask this question because retaliation is a lot different than justice.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image61

if you kill them all, is the problem solved, are you sure there is no more killings again, or will it stop there or more retaliatory killings unending cycle of killings on both sides.

As long as fighters are killing fighters then they are just doing there job. preventing civilian death is the goal

how about their families and children being left behind

we all know exactly what we got our selves into.... we join the military during a time of war. what do you expect. i expected to get in on it. i may not believe in the reasoning but ill have a good time figuring it out. sounds very ignorant i know but hey i am who i am. a grunt marine

And that is why we pay you to do it.  The reasons are immaterial to that cause.  However if you apply that reasoning for waging war you will not get a whole lot of support from the civilized world.

3. cmlindblom profile image71
    cmlindblomposted 14 years ago

war in invetitable because it always comes down to human nature. People are always striving to be the best and when you do so you are in a constant competition against people and you may not even know it. War yes is a kind of primative way of settling things but people have been doing it since the down of time. These days though most of the wars going on are power and religion based that other countries tangle in due to allies and "big brother" countries like the usa. People say  its not our war but if we dont clean up the worlds mess as the superpower who will....

4. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

Maybe not logical, but then humans don't live by logic alone, nor do any animals.

HI there all, Hi POPPA

5. profile image0
    zampanoposted 14 years ago

It can be biological

LOL< hmmmmm...

2. profile image0
      Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

6. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

War is a necessary evil, unfortunately. If someone invades your homeland and wants to rule over you what do you do? Sit there and take it? No, you fight back. Or live like some crawling worm, which is not an option.

1. profile image0
      zampanoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe we should leave war for politics, generals and big corporations.
      Afterall it's because of them that war is going on.

1. profile image0
        Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That sounds great - if they didn't drag us into it.

7. profile image0
    zampanoposted 14 years ago

But they always do and their business prosper.
    And they do drag us into it.

Tomorrow, the 11th is a holyday in France, Belgium and Canada.
    We celebrate the armistice that put an end to the 1st world war.
    40 000 000 dead.
    fourty million people died between 1914 and 1918.

1. ledefensetech profile image68
      ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Europeans did that to themselves.  Not to mention the fact that they screwed up the peace and a generation later we had to clean up the mess. 50-70 million dead in that one.  By the way there were 16 million dead in WW I, 21 million wounded.  That's how you get the 38 million causalities.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
        Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We? LOLOLOLOLOLO

Sure - you sold sum guns.......

LOLOLOL

Rothschild anyone?

They? lol

Lets do it again..............

2. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image72
      EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 14 years agoin reply to this

2,738 (out of 10,944 total casualties) died between 5 AM, when the armistice was actually agreed upon and 11 AM when the date and time looked really cool.

8. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

Yes, we celebrate it too. It's called Veterans Day in America

1. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wonder what it would be called if America hadn't got involved? "The day all of Europe started to speak German"

1. profile image0
        zampanoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Right !

9. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

War is the last resort not to be delayed or used as a quick solution. We have to be firm with the use of force and no waffling. We have some of the best most talented kids on this planet and if we ask them to fight we must do it without terms of engagement. It's their lives and they are so brave to make that sacrifice for us we have to give them a chance to successfully complete their mission, without political interference.

LOLOLOL

Yeah - right.

No politics = no war.

What planet are you from? Oh yeah - religiosity. Beat any drunk people up? Oh yeah. Religionist.

Firm with the use of force? LOLOLOLOLOLOLO

You my new hero. sad

1. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Still haven't pulled your head out have you?

<snipped - no personal attacks>

1. profile image0

Oh, you say it's stuck? well what ever you do don't fart you'll blow your brains out!

2. profile image0

Still the most boring poster there is! lollollollollollol

Quick, say something else about Christians! lollollollol

Texans? Sure................. lol

1. profile image0

Well, waiting,nothing? Look a bright shiny object! lollollollol

2. profile image0

Oh, try reading his new sock puppet - evolution guy

And whose sock puppet are you?

2. profile image0

Gonna have to pass I can only be bored for a little while.

Translation = short attentio.....

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
                Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

http://hollywoodjesus.com/media/Bambi.gif

1. profile image0

And there's Ron, who can always be counted on to post a picture or utter "Oy" At least you entertain me occasionally!

Thank you Bambi-Tex smile

10. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

someone once said, 'war is a drug'

it's addicting
    and it makes money

1. profile image0

Ah, there-in lies the crux . . .

11. profile image0

C'mon peaches I'll be your Huckleberry!(I'm referring to you mark, you want some?)

Yeah, we all wnat some!

1. profile image0

Is it time again for the gay pride parade? I know you two will dress as yourselves.

LOLOL
          You really are a big girl's blouse.....

Really _ i am totally 100% impressed that u dun hit that drunk guy and all, but.. lol lol

Sheesh. What do you want? 3, 3 minute cyber rounds...........

1. profile image0

You two are funny boys but I have an appointment to git to! I already knew I was dealing with cowards! I know you would never say that crap to me personally but we'll say you two are "Badass" anyway! There, now go pick on some women and kids.

Coward?

Now I know I am online.

Yup - Jeebus be dun prowd o ya callin me coward. See in I cain't take yo down online...............

Tuff. 'spect.

Oh yeah - yo tuff. Tuffer n jeebus tuf. lol

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60

Gynocological?

JUvenile Gynocological?

Either way - he is tuff. FORD tuff. lol

12. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

a war can never be logical never

1. profile image0

Take a logic course - then we'll talk

13. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/brainiac/gerald-ford-picture.jpg

You're darn tootin'

1. profile image0

Didn't he play for Michigan?

Yup, and he was tuff.

14. profile image0

I'm back ladies!

15. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 14 years ago

yes and no.  it really depends on you ask to be honest.  however, i will refer back to an old saying that a wise man once told me, "in war there are no winners...only losers."  you can take that however you like, with a grain of salt, but thats my two cents.

16. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image59
    VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 14 years ago

War should be used as a treatment for longstanding unsolvable disputes. It is not a must. But when there is pre-motivated and ruthless suppression of its people by a ruler, the only way out is war.

When Bengali civilians voted for Bangla National Party of late Mujibur Rahman, the Pakistan govt. suppressed the Bengalis by sending army, fully armed with tanks and machine guns. Millions were uprooted and sent into India, resulting in a huge burden on our economy. Half a million were killed by the army. Almost all countries showed sympathy for the Bengalis, but none acted. India, unable to bear the burdens, went to war and created Bangla Desh. This is a clear case of necessity for war.

For some ailments, we can apply some ointments; for some, we should take pills; for some, we should get injection; for some, we need operation, which gives instant remedy from the ailments. War is like an operation.

17. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image59
    VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 14 years ago

US' war in Afganistan and Iraq may be regrettable for Americans; but it is fully justified. Every American should place themselves in Mr.Bush's place and imagine what they would have done when the twin towers were brought down and the perpetrators' trail was  established. It was Pakistan which came first on the screen. But later it was established that they crossed over to Afganistan and so, an enraged American President could do nothing more than declaring war.

To all Americans: the attack on the twin towers was the first enemy attack on American soil.

Iraq on its part, used every opportunity to attack Israel even if they kept quiet. So, to avoid and preempt the anti-Israeli initiative expected from Iraq, and to finish the unfinished task of his father in 1991, Jr.Bush may have gone into Iraq.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)