I was welcomed to HP by a three day old hubber

Jump to Last Post 1-30 of 30 discussions (72 posts)
  1. darkside profile image67
    darksideposted 14 years ago

"Welcome to the Hubpages! I'm looking forward to reading more of your material!"

And they seem to be on a famming run using that same message for each person they've fanned.

1. emievil profile image68
      emievilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Same here. I wanted to fan them back and give the same message, but they might think I'm a copycat big_smile.

2. GeneralHowitzer profile image68
      GeneralHowitzerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ROFL hehehe growing up mistake nyahahaha, welcoming a hardcore Hubber is an understatement...

I stopped from fanning already hehehe, I only fan when they fan me...

3. profile image0
      Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I got the same thing.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Me too smile

5. Hope Wilbanks profile image66
      Hope Wilbanksposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep, I've been hit. wink

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
        Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Me too.  I'm waiting for the thread asking "why is my Hubscore so low?"

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
          rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. darkside profile image67
          darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Or "what happened to all my hubs?"

I think they had about 7. They're gone now.

6. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
      Zsuzsy Beeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think I met the same hubber Darkside. It kind of looks odd doesn't it. I denied the fanmail as her one and only hub was not much more then spam....

7. profile image0
      ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I got the very same one. LOL

8. mandybeau1 profile image60
      mandybeau1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nice of them to fan you... Appreciate it. They may have been genuine.

9. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't take this fan stuff very seriously.  I mean, it is nice to have fans and all...and I enjoy many of my fans work, etc.  But I don't much care if someone is out for a fan spam or what have you. 

Also, if someone becomes my fan, I'm likely to fan them back, just as a welcome or to be polite.

1. mandybeau1 profile image60

I think that this is the normal thing to do. You are really just welcoming them. I doubt anyone cares about seniority when they fan. Personally I never look at how long just, How good. So I am with u Lita.

2. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

I wish I would have thought of that. too late now. lol
    Its nice to be welcomed tho? isnt it? I have one message that says something like...your hubs are very useful, informative...and all that..so I know he never read them, because there isnt a single usefull word in any of them!!!

1. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol
      It happens all the time !

3. Black Lilly profile image60
    Black Lillyposted 14 years ago

By the way, is there a way to delete such "fans"?
    Somehow I only want genuine ones..

Unfortunately, no.

1. lorlie6 profile image72
        lorlie6posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Rats!  I have a couple already, and I only joined up a couple of months ago.

4. Whitney05 profile image81
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

Me too! Same fan mail.

"Welcome to the Hubpages! I'm looking forward to reading more of your material!"

I started a thread a good while back because another new hubber welcomed me to HubPages, and I've been looking for it so that I didn't have to start a new thread. Gave up, then found yours Darkside. Ha

By the looks of it 'she' has done a run of 100+ fan club joins.

2. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Whitney, I got the "welcome" e.mail when you did.  Apparently, more people are welcoming existing Hubbers.  lol  (Maybe it's kind of like those reverse 911 calls police departments make - or something like that.  lol )

5. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

yes, I woke up and saw the same mail. and by her name, it looks like she's selling something.

I was thinking that too.

Had a closer look at a hub. Must be the work of an online translator:

"Annemarie Eilfeld has strong have. Four kilos, and yet it seems lost her still not the right man encountered. Perhaps there is hope if more soon your shooting at GZSZ begins."

1. rmcrayne profile image91
        rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow sounds like the commercial of the mom who doesn't know how to talk to her teen about drugs.  It would make a good example of aphasia after stroke.

2. rebekahELLE profile image84

hmm

1. Stimp profile image61
          Stimpposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You don't understand that?  What is wrong with YOU??  smile

2. Betty Reid profile image60
          Betty Reidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nice emoticon.

6. The Rope profile image60
    The Ropeposted 14 years ago

Of course, then there are the ones who give you a one liner of "welcome to HP" and then immediately jump into a link to one of their own hubs.  I don't read those and don't fan the hubber.  I appreciate everyone's comments and recommendations when they are genuine.

7. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I still don't understand how some of this writing gets published.
    I've read so many articles with major spelling errors throughout the article, with broken sentences, or they don't make sense.

and they think they're going to make instant money. hmm

it appears that a high percentage do not read the guidelines before publishing.

8. Whitney05 profile image81
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

I'd like to know why the user welcomed older hubbers. Probably just badly translated phrase.

In a way, I wish HubPages would un-publish hubs with poor translations. I know there have been a few times, I've gotten excited about a hub I thought was going to be really good and interesting, and then open it to barely be able to figure it out.

It seems it would only benefit HP as a company now in the top 100 web sites to somehow filter major errors and put a hold on publishing until edited more carefully, and if the hubs didn't meet the mark, they don't get published.

I realize we all may have a few editing errors we need to correct, but the above sentence that darkside included makes no sense at all. it could have been an online translator gone awry.

9. Luciendasky profile image60
    Luciendaskyposted 14 years ago

I think I was fanned too... hmmmmm... interesting...

10. Stimp profile image61
    Stimpposted 14 years ago

I was fanned by a guy who fans all new comers WITH THE SAME MESSAGE.  I believe it is just for the sole purpose of getting people to go over and become his fan as a way of increasing his "traffic".  If you feel someone is doing this, let them become you're fan (good for you!) and ignore them.

11. spartanking1978 profile image60
    spartanking1978posted 14 years ago

Fanning...that is a new term for me. I see where you are coming from though. The more I hang out here the more I appreciate the professional environment that most old-timers wish to create here. Personally, I do not become a fan unless I wish to subscribe to that individuals content. Probably why I do not have many fans, it seems to be a reciprocating process.

1. rmcrayne profile image91
      rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

True for some, but not for a lot of us.  I have fans who fanned me specifically for interest in one of my hubs or niche topics.  I also have hubbers who have fanned me because of something I said in the forums.  I look at my fans and will reciprocate for these reasons. 

The fanning spree fans, I may or may not look at their hubs.  I have recently developed a mild curiosity and look at their Hubtivity.  Some of these spree fanners have 10, 20 or more pages of Hubtivity with nothing but fanning, and about a 1/3 rate of being fanned in return.  I certainly don't feel complimented by this kind of fan, and I don't fan them in return.

2. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm with you, spartanking.  I have a lot of fans and I suspect a huge percentage of them joined in the hope that I'd fan them back.  Which I didn't, because I only fan people whose work I really like. 

I've become very "ho hum" about the whole business of fanning, except when (as happened recently) a really top-class Hubber signs up to my fan club - then I'm chuffed to bits.

1. mandybeau1 profile image60

Well I look at it entirely differently and fan anyone that fans me, except spammers etc., because frankly no one and I mean no one writes all top notch stuff all the time. Some people I would fan for one story, and yet roll my eyes with disdain at the majority of their stuff. Does it really matter. It does at least show that the articles are being looked at I guess.

1. mega1 profile image78
          mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'magonna fan you rightaway quick - and I expect now you'll fanmeback - pleasethankyou - love, your fan

2. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Same here (apart from the "lot of fans" bit LOL).  I just don't get the whole reciprocal fanning thing; it completely devalues the idea of fanning.  Why doesn't Hub Pages just abolish fanning altogether?   If you really like someone's work, you can always add their profile to your browser's favourites menu or subscribe to their RSS feed.

3. profile image0
        Hovalisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I, too, only fan back people where I like their writing. I also only fan people for the same reason. When I fan I don't expect reciprocal fanning. I've spent too many years on different sites where this fanning business was the mode of operation, and I got over it really fast. I'm flattered for the people who've fanned me because they like my work...as for the rest, we they are there, but that's about it.

And I have no hesitation about declining purely promotional comments. That may make me old and crusty, but as far as I'm concerned it's spam.

1. lorlie6 profile image72
          lorlie6posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree wholeheartedly.  Why just the other day I was almost fanned by someone who said, "Let's lose weight together!"  Now I may need to lose a couple of pounds, but nothing in my hubs indicates such a thing, so a denial was issued.

12. wyanjen profile image70
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

Geez.
    I didn't get it.
    Am I happy or sad about that tongue
    lol

1. profile image0
      Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'll send you one. Oh, no wait, I already did. lol

1. wyanjen profile image70
        wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But you didn't  say that you are looking forward to reading more of my material....
        sad

2. profile image0
      Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Be happy! lol

3. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe you have to be here a couple of years before strangers start welcoming you?  smile  I was welcomed a couple of months ago.  smile

13. profile image0
    Pacal Votanposted 14 years ago

"You have very inspiring, informative, well articulated and highly detailed hubs. I congratulate you for a good work well done. To this end, am glad to be your fan. I also invite you to join my fan's club"

14. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 14 years ago

Yep, I got it too.  I haven't been around a long time, but slightly longer than three days!

15. Rochelle Frank profile image92
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

I got one today like this:

"hi dear how are u?

very nice article on My Wild Pet Pocket Mouse85. Please keep it up.. and also visit my website

______________________.com"

Personalized spam with the title of one of my hubs (and the hubscore at the time)
    Checking around I saw that others had the same type of comment from this person. It was bad enough that I was called "dear", (I don't know you!) but other ladies seem to be getting the same salutation.

I don't think I have ever denied a comment before-- but this was just being used to promote a website.

I had a comment today from the internet with a link sig and a link in the comment... I denied it.

16. Nell Rose profile image91
    Nell Roseposted 14 years ago

Hi, just to say that if you want to get rid of a fan, just go to MY Account and click on hubber fan club, then you can delete the fan that's getting on your nerve's! okay? Nell

17. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years ago

I was fanned by this person also, automatically I fanned them back, but since reading this thread I have removed myself from their fan club in protest.

18. Len Cannon profile image87
    Len Cannonposted 14 years ago

Honestly, I am just very bad about fanning people in general.  Even when someone whose work I admire joins my fan club, I usually forget about returning the favor for quite sometime.  Probably rude, but I'm slow with things like that.

19. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I got the welcome to hubpages too, I checked the profile, she has no hubs LOL, DELETE!

20. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

That's precisely the sort of fan mail that I decline.  (And without hesitation too)

21. thranax profile image71
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

Why does it matter? They are trying to get fans like on twitter. I can't get people no matter how hard I try because apparently I am doing it wrong. But there is a theory, if you add others they will see it and might add you back thinking your like them.

~thranax~

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I started to get a lot of fans a) once the feature was actually invented [fan clubs didn't exist in HubPages Year One] and b) when I made Hubs that offered advice to people on making Hubs.

2. mandybeau1 profile image60

Some people just want to moan!!!!!!!!!!!!!It doesn't matter, it is trivial.

22. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

its always nice to get hello, unless there are other reasons behind it....

23. Bovine Currency profile image62
    Bovine Currencyposted 14 years ago

There is a difference between spam and networking.  The fan clubs exist to produce profit for hubpages.com.  There is no need for a high society here, if that is your thing fine but obviously hubpages being advertised as an revenue source will attractive both sorts of people.  I can't stand the lifted eyebrow.

24. darkside profile image67

Oh look, here's one of my latest "genuine" fan mail messages:

Yes, and others have got it too.

I wish there were a spam button for spammy fan mails.

1. wyanjen profile image70
      wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I got that one too.
      I went to my account, under INTERACTION, hit Fan Mail, and denied it.
      I just stumbled on that. While I was there, I kicked off a few others...
      smile

25. darkside profile image67

When it just screams copy and paste I click through to see who else they've fanned and if the same message has been posted.

It's about as genuine and believable as a person posting the comment "Really good hub" on one of their own sockpuppet accounts.

26. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Eh, I honestly don't give it that much thought.  Lots of these people are beginning writers, etc., why not encourage them by offering 'fanship?'  Maybe that's what I'm thinking.

Is it supposed to be like winning an award or something, or getting paid?  It's just not serious, so I don't take anything about it that seriously...

It's along the same lines of people in pursuit of thousands of fans, friends or followers on Twitter, Myspace, Facebook and similar sites.

They think they're doing something of benefit, or to fulfill some sense of popularity, but it's just a waste of time.

1. mega1 profile image78

oh. sorry. fanned you by mistake. but come see me anyway. yes, eh. more the merrier.  you like my hub? you might. more people see it and read, more people make happy.  My idea. make happy.

27. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 14 years ago

also - am thinking, seriously now, that when I become someone's fan then I can easily see what their writing - I get reminded of it - and then I can go down the list of the people I fan and read selectively - so I'm fanning all you smarties that sound like you'll write things I like based on what you say in forums.  Now isn't that smart!  it is reminding me a little of those notes we passed across our desks in 3rd grade - I like you! Do you like me?  (my first use of exclamation mark)

28. wyanjen profile image70

I used to put little boxes too:
    Do you like me?
    Check YES or NO smile

1. mega1 profile image78

lol  I think I got one of those notes from you!

29. wyanjen profile image70

Really? The one I just passed over to you 15 minutes ago?
    which one did you check, which one, which one...
    lol

What you said before about fanning people you read in the forums: that's a great way to learn. I do it a lot.

I'm real picky about fans though. I don't become one unless I have a real interest, so I don't approve those who hit me up for no reason. There so many people I want to keep track of, and having a list full of strangers with nothing to contribute is a pain to sort through.

30. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

Nothing gets under my skin quite like a serial fammer. Except the ones who then cry about their falling hubscore afterward in the forum!! hmm

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)