What is faith in God and how is it different from trust in God?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (30 posts)
  1. rocketjsqu profile image75
    rocketjsquposted 14 years ago

Faith and trust in God are like the two elements of water - hydrogen  and oxygen - you can't have water without both of them together.  You can't be a Christian without having faith and trust together.  Many people say they have faith in God, but then when life gets tough they lose their faith through worry and anxiety.  A mature Christian who sincerely trusts God will be at peace no matter what the circumstances and will demonstrate there faith in calm reassuring behavior.

1. TimTurner profile image71
      TimTurnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In the words of Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails, "I put my faith in God and my trust in you now there's nothing more f*cked up I could do."

That pretty much sums up my feelings smile

1. samsbr profile image41
        samsbrposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I belive my self

2. carolegalassi profile image61
      carolegalassiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Spiritually faith and trust are very close in meaning.  If we talk about religion I think faith is the unquestionable belief in God, one could have faith in a religion.  Trust, on the other hand is firm belief in the honesty and reliability of God.  The word that ties the two together is belief.

3. mohitmisra profile image59
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Is faith and trust in god applicable to only the followers of the prophet Jesus ?

"When I know something is right,
      Then with prayer and faith I must fight,
      God is behind me with all his might."

I am not a Christian. smile  Yet I love Jesus and his philosophy smile
      I love all the prophets equally. smile

4. seyiari profile image60
      seyiariposted 14 years agoin reply to this

•    Faith is not a philosophical fact neither is it a psychological fact. It is a spiritual force. It is a living force drawn from a living word to produce a living proof
      •    Faith is not cheap talk, faith is hard work. Faith is an act. It  goes beyond just talking , it has to do with action. Faith is not just believing     God , it is also behaving the word of God.

faith and trust are like two side of a coin that can't be spent alone. so you need the two in your christian walk.

5. optimus grimlock profile image60
      optimus grimlockposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't agree more.

6. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi friends

Why have trust or faith blindly? Trust and faith should be with rational reason and brilliant arguments. Blind faith is no faith; it is a dead faith. Bible neither mention claims to its creeds nor its arguments. Please make you faith research oriented.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

2. profile image0
    TMinutposted 14 years ago

There is no difference that I can see, having faith in someone means you trust them. You don't know what they'll do in the future but you trust them because of their past record. Or by your intuition.

rocketjsquposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Faith is synonymous with belief.  When it is used in that context, trust and faith are very different.  You can believe that God exists but not trust Him at all.  Many Christians say they have faith in God, yet they don't trust him to keep his promises.

1. profile image0
        TMinutposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Part of me thinks that's right BUT if God isn't trustworthy, I don't believe he exists because that's one of the things about him. Nope, I don't believe what I just wrote! Good grief. Even if he started being horrible and not doing the good he promises, I still know he's there.

1. profile image0
          Twenty One Daysposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you don't trust in Him or believe in Him, than can I ask what the #&%!@#$ are you posting a comment for in this forum for?

3. kess profile image61
    kessposted 14 years ago

I had once believed that faith and hope was one and the same.
    Now I realize that we may trust in hope and we can trust in faith.

Hope may or maynot have results.

But when you trust with faith, there  will be results for faith is one's perception and awareness of a particular truth.

Any with this faith will never fail for truth never fails.

4. Danny R Hand profile image59
    Danny R Handposted 14 years ago

Faith is an unshakable inner assurance of a truth. Also, faith grows from experiances. Trust, is a choice. We can choose to trust or, not to trust. But when we choose to trust, and our trust is rewarded with a positive outcome, then faith grows.

I like the concept that when we choose to trust and it is rewarded with a positive outcome, it helps our faith to grow.  The stronger our faith the easier it is to trust.

5. profile image0
    Ken R. Abellposted 14 years ago

Not sure if this is legal to do, but....

I published a Hub this morning that addresses this question entitled What's Up With Faith?

http://hubpages.com/hub/Whats-Up-With-Faith

6. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

If you have faith in what I say; when I say that the ice on the lake is too thin to walk on. You won't go out on it.
       If you trust in my understand and I tell ya that the ice on the lake is too thin to walk on, ya won't go out there.

There fore for all practical purposes Faith and trust are the same thing.

7. karatekidjmt profile image52
    karatekidjmtposted 14 years ago

Faith is the ability to rejoice despite bad circumstances. It is complete trust in our Creator and his love and ability to work all bad for our own good. Remember, "without faith it is impossible to please God"

8. lctodd1947 profile image78
    lctodd1947posted 14 years ago

"Faith is the substance of things hoped for; the evidence of things not seen".  Hebrews 11:11.

Faith is what you know is going to happen even though you can't see it. Seeing is not believing it, in the circumstances of faith.  You know it, you feel it and you have assurance that whatever it is, is there for you. For instance when the Centurion met Jesus and wanted healing for his servant, this is what it says: Matthew 8:6-8 (The Centurion met Jesus and said) "And saying Lord, my servant lieth at home sick of the palsy, grievously tormented. And Jesus saith unto him, I will come and heal him.  The centurion answered and said, Lord, I am not worthy that thou shouldest come under my roof; but speak the word only, and my servant shall be healed". Verse 9, 10 carries the story further and Jesus marvelled and said to them that followed, "Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel".

When we are saved, we are saved by faith. Faith that our sins are forgiven and faith that the word of God is true.
    Man, this is real good stuff, I am so glad that I have joined Hubpages and these articles. God Bless!

9. lctodd1947 profile image78
    lctodd1947posted 14 years ago

I forgot to mention "Trust".  I believe that trust and faith work hand in hand because the dictionary explanation for trust equals....confidence in the truth of anything, faith-confident expectations. 

We have faith that Jesus rose from the dead, because the Word says He did.  We have faith that there is a Heaven and we know from all accounts there is a hell. AND we trust in Jesus words that "if" we live the way He has outlined in the scriptures, we will go to Heaven and not downstairs.

Trust is faith and faith is trust, don't you think?  If you break this down to people it is simply that if we loose faith in someone by a horrible thing they did, we never trust them again....usually.  Right?

10. heart4theword profile image61
    heart4thewordposted 14 years ago

I think Trust is a path building process.  There has been building blocks already layed out for us in the area of trust.  Through history that has been recorded and Spiritual Life Encounters that have proof that there is something much bigger than you and I.  The very breathe of Life provided seems to be enough to build trust.   

Faith is stepping out.  It does seem that if there was no path, or bridge built prior to a decision of faith.  There would be no faith. 

That trigures the verse in the Bible that says:  "Faith without works is dead."

11. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 14 years ago

faith and trust work together but are not entirely the same.

faith is the perspective, character, energy of what we desire to see come into being plus the words, actions we take to insure that thing will happen and the proof of that desire, our harvest.

trust is waiting patiently for the proof of our harvest. trust is to meditate, ponder and wonder about the harvest and the One who makes it all possible.

smile

1. Shamonj profile image60
      Shamonjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The word faith in the greek is pistis and it means total reliance and total trust in the Lord God.

12. melpor profile image92
    melporposted 14 years ago

Faith and trust are two entirely different concepts in life. Religion have nothing to do with these words. They are only use in the biblical context as any other word in our multilingual world. Faith simply means you believe in the outcome of some event or action based on no physical evidence. Trust mean you believe in someone or something based on prior knowledge or experience with them. Usually that experience or knowledge must have ended with a good or a beneficial result to gain that trust.

Faith is a word that is frequently used superficially similar to love.  If you say: "I love peanut butter", you're not really in love with peanut butter, you just really like it a lot.  If you say you have faith in your spouses driving abilities and then criticize there every move, then you don't really trust them to keep you safe.  In order to really exemplify faith, you need to trust in the performance of the person or thing you believe in.  Therefore, you my be able to increase your trust through successful performance, however you can't really have sincere faith without an equal measure of trust simultaneously.

13. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 14 years ago

Okay, let me be a non-coward, non-conformist, non-traditionalist and tell you this:

Faith is the ever constant heart, thought and physical action of UNDERSTANDING that the Fullness that fills everything is ever present and willing to bring our needs into being should we decide once and for all that ANY need is possible. Trust is the post-action of that understanding. Faith is understanding the need, turning the soil, planting the seed all the while seeing the fullness of the harvest of our need, even before it is visible.

Trust is the action of allowing the universe / the Creator to do what it/He does to bring that need into being.

If you cannot understand the harvest or see it before you plant it, then you are not living in faith or trusting by any means or reason.

14. profile image0
    TMinutposted 14 years ago

Still hard to see much of a difference. In Christianity, faith is usually considered as believing with no proof or evidence. Saying one believes with no physical proof or evidence is different than no proof or evidence at all. It's simply not a physical thing. In that way, trust and faith in someone is the same but the Bible says our faith is given by God in the first place so it may be different from trust. Trust is believing that God or the person you trust is not going to try to harm you, that he will work things out for your good as he said he would do. Faith maybe is just believing God, whom we can't physically see, exists.

I think it's all semantics. I can't imagine having one without the other because the God I know IS good and trustworthy.

15. profile image0
    SirDentposted 14 years ago

Faith itself is actually based on evidence. When evidence is gathered it is gathered to find out what happened or how something happened. Though you cannot see wehat really happened, you will find out from the evidence. That is provided the evidence is true and real.

Trust requires time. It isn't earned over night. It must be built with a relatioship.

16. profile image0
    Tracey Dockreeposted 14 years ago

I guess it all boils down to our own perception of what the two words mean. I have come to equate faith with trust. I have faith in God and trust Him implicitly (even when I don't like what's going on). Yet others seem to think of faith as being our belief. They do not attach any meaning of trust to it. I choose to trust God but it is something that I have learnt to do over time (something that God Himself has taught me to do). Now it is almost an intrinsic part of my faith. Here's another tangent for you though - I believe faith is something that God Himself gives us and grows in us as He reveals Himself to us. I guess faith to me also equates to my understanding of just how awesome God is and who our Father God,  Jesus and the Holy Spirit really are - Creator, Provider, Teacher, Comforter, miracle maker!, the irrepressible (is that spelt right?) source of all that is good, which cannot be stopped.

17. SpanStar profile image59
    SpanStarposted 13 years ago

If you come to 2 cliffs and it is clear you wonder if you really can make such a jump.  Do you jump because you have faith that you will make it?  Or do you jump because you trust you can make?

I don't see the different.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)