Help With Where To Open An Online Store

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (15 posts)
  1. retail shopping profile image60
    retail shoppingposted 14 years ago

Hi Guys,

I have an Ebay store and blog but I'm looking to open an online store since I don't want to have my eggs all in one basket.

I know very little about this computer stuff so I'm looking for somewhere that is affordable and where it has everything I will need and understand how to do including a shopping cart.

There are so many choices out there that I just don't know where to start.

I sell mainly new family clothing, shoes, accessories, household items and toys if that makes a difference.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks A Bunch,
    Peg

1. Ralph01 profile image60
      Ralph01posted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is better to create your own dot-com today. There are several hosting companies to get your business started.

Try FatCow.com 

I have a site developed on this hosting service works well and very cost effective.

2. visitmaniac profile image60
    visitmaniacposted 14 years ago

Hi Peg,

This goes based on what you told me so far but there are many different ways to go about it would just need some more information.

http://prestashop.com/

You may want to look into that.

Otherwise you could create your own site, add a shopping cart feature to it and then pick your payment options. I would recommend getting a merchant account. Don't just go with paypal.

3. profile image0
    staciesgiftsposted 14 years ago

If you are still doing the research, look into either Yahoo! Stores or www.homestead.com.  Both companies are great for your very own "starter" website.  They are both reasonably priced, and have ample technical support.  Each site features online storefronts with a myriad of design templates and a shopping cart feature. 

Before creating a website, plan ahead.  The initial setup can be time consuming.  Get creative, and have fun with it!

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The trouble with using sites like this is that if you decide you want to go somewhere else, you can't take your store design with you.  You'll have to start from scratch all over again somewhere else. 

Plus I think homestead.com is over-priced.  People join up for sites like this because they offer "easy website design" etc, when in reality your own Wordpress site is just as easy if not easier.  And they have plugins to creat your shopfront.

4. TimTurner profile image70
    TimTurnerposted 14 years ago

GoDaddy.com is the largest internet hosting and URL site.  They also have countless merchant options.

I would make sure that you don't go for the cheapest service in any area as you will encounter several hosting issues once your site is up.  I have encountered a ton of problems by going with companies that had "cheap" services.

For your online business, never settle for cheap.  Don't always go for the most expensive, either.

I would read online reviews at places like Epinions.com or Google others and find the best hosting company with great merchant services.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A lot of people have had a lot of trouble with GoDaddy. Buy a domain name off them,sure, but don't use them for anything else.

1. Madison22 profile image60
        Madison22posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree, My domain is from godaddy and my hosting fatcow which I am very pleased with. Good Luck:)

5. thranax profile image71
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

I suggest opening it online, but thats only me.

~thranax~

6. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

Hands down your best option is vendio,

http://howtomakemoneyfromyourart.blogsp … store.html

Im a Powerseller and I use the service, I prefer it over the other alternatives

I do also have a hub about it, just happened to have the above article in my immediate bookmarks

7. MikeNV profile image68
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

If you don't want to market yourself then you should choose to find places that people already know about and visit like eBay which you are already using and Amazon.

Another alternative is to select your own shopping cart software then find an online affiliate network like Shareasale and let affiliates do your marketing for you.

8. profile image0
    Go Writerposted 14 years ago

I think the easiest thing to do is capture the traffic you're getting from eBay already, so you don't have to do so much promotion online.

What I mean is that you advertise your blog or web store and put it on your eBay profile. A good exampe of how some people do this are the people who flip lenses. Look under eBay for "websites for sale" and see how to web masters promote there full-time business.

You can do something similar with your blog/web store.

I also recommend you get an autoresponder and put the optin form on your blog that gives people heads up about upcoming specials from your webtore etc. That was you capture a list of propsective buyers and nurture that list.

Don't bombard them every day with promotionals, but when you build a list of customers, you're more likely to make money with them.

Case in point: I'm in the mailing list of a lady who is a ghost writer. She had so many demands for PLR articles that needed to be written that she made her own "webstore" if you will. She sold other products, too, that's how I came to learn about her PLR store. Then she sends an email telling me what new niche articles she's created and posted for sale. Brilliant concept.

I think you should do something similar.

9. yenajeon profile image71
    yenajeonposted 14 years ago

1. Put together a business plan. What are you marketing, who are you targeting, how much do you have to spend? etc.
    2. Sounds like you want an e-commerce website. Go to namecheap.com and get a url (sitename) relevant to your products.
    3. Design a website, or have a graphic artist design one in photoshop and use dreamweaver to 'convert it'
    4. Find a web host. They will host your site, fix problems, help you integrate an interactive shopping cart, etc.
    5. You need a shopping cart that is relatively easy to integrate into the site unless you know html/css
    6. After your inventory is ready, you need a payment gateway company who will safely process credit cards online. If you also want paypal, you can install that too.
    7. After your website is up, its all about SEO which takes a LOT of time and effort! It can become a pain but this is the most important part as it is what gets people to your site. What I am talking about is building links, blogs, social networking, advertising with google adwords (pricey) search engine submissions just to name the very basic.

Hope that helps a little and good luck!
    PS I have an e-commerce website selling fashion merchandise and it was a very long and arduous journey but now that its done I'm so so happy smile

10. kaizan28 profile image83
    kaizan28posted 13 years ago

Your totally right about not putting all your eggs in one basket, also use these alternatives to ebay as well, its a good idea to have a number of auction sites that you use, and then with you website store, you can direct everybody to there. Basically consider auction site selling as direct marketing. Turn your customers into repeat customers on you main website.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Ebay-alternative-selling-sites

11. profile image52
    gauravsaini03posted 12 years ago

Hello,

If you’re planning to put up a website for your products or services, one of the first things you have to consider is finding the best e-commerce Platform, which will easily give you good storefront. The most important thing is making online transactions work, if customers have problem with your transactions they will not be satisfied might not visit your site next time. Content Management is also a feature which should be there. And as far as my choice is concern i recommend you vplanetcommerce which i think is the best ecommerce platform with best SEO which will attract more customers to your store. You can check there site for more info : www.vplanetcommerce.com

Thanks

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)