Have you ever got caught got in a traffic jam? The longest?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (18 posts)
  1. thirdmillenium profile image61
    thirdmilleniumposted 14 years ago

And, what did you do there?

2. tksensei profile image62
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

You know it's long enough when everyone turns off their engines, gets out and starts tailgaiting.

I got caught in a jam caused by the DC sniper a few years back. Not the longest, but one of the most tense.

1. dohn121 profile image82
      dohn121posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow.  When I lived in the Hudson Valley (near NYC) I had to commute over the Mid-Hudson Bridge everyday.  There would always be a traffic jam whenever a so called "jumper" was threatening to jump.

By the way, shouldn't such people be called "stallers" rather than "jumpers"?  I mean, cooks "cook," painters "paint," and writers "write."  Shouldn't jumpers...JUMP?

3. tksensei profile image62
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

I suppose you're right. They should at least wait to see how it turns out before granting them the title.

1. dohn121 profile image82
      dohn121posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah...Talk is cheap smile  During this time of the year, they're at their busiest.  The holidays are awful for those who don't have family or friends, unfortunately.

4. Black Lilly profile image59
    Black Lillyposted 14 years ago

4+ hours on M25 (London).
    It was dead boring, but I got to know the person whom I was stuck with very well.
    Then we took the first available exit and went for a walk.

5. samsbr profile image40
    samsbrposted 14 years ago

Yes once upon time I got caught traffic jam..gave the cop some money and wen out from there LOL smile

6. Helen Cater profile image60
    Helen Caterposted 14 years ago

About ten years ago I took my three boys to a place called Minehead for the weekend. We decided to leave early on the Sunday morning, but there had been a really bad pile up on the motorway. Ten cars involved, and deaths. They shut the motorway off for 7 hours, and me and the kids were sat right in the middle the whole time. It was a complete nightmare as we had no drink, or food, but I kept thinking about the poor families who had lost loved ones, and thanked whoever was looking down on us, that we were safe in my car. I eventually got home after 11 hours. The worst traffic jam I have ever been in.

7. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Almost daily in my city at the moment. The Government is spending big on roads, and fixing them all at once it seems! smile

8. Casper021 profile image61
    Casper021posted 14 years ago

got stuck once for 7 hours due to traffic accident, was watching dvds while waiting

9. ediggity profile image59
    ediggityposted 14 years ago

Longest was in Southern California.  I just sat in my car for 5 hours listened to music, and formulated a plan on how to fix all the traffic problems.  Then, we started moving, I remembered I was in Southern California, and realized my plan would never work.

10. NaomiR profile image76
    NaomiRposted 14 years ago

The worst I was ever in was when we went to see fireworks on July 4th near my in-laws in Westchester. We were sitting still on this side street for like an hour and a half. Ironically, the radio was playing, "Ain't Nothing Gonna Break My Stride."

11. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

4 hours,

12. Himitsu Shugisha profile image74
    Himitsu Shugishaposted 14 years ago

I live in Atlanta, GA, we're famous for our traffic jams and "rush hour" starting at 3pm and lasting until 7pm.

13. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image59
    VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 14 years ago

Due to the size of the population, we Indians cannot complain about traffic jams... it is common.

Sometimes nature plays its role in creating traffic jams. In 1994, when we were travelling from Bangalore to Chennai by road, rain was pouring like anything. All the lakes, rivers and lower areas were flooded. On the banks of a lake near Chennai, trees were uprooted and all traffic came to a halt. There were thousands of vehicles on either side awaiting clearance of the fallen trees. From that night, till next noon, we were stranded and had no way to reach our place. This is one of my memorable times... Traffic jammed by nature.

14. cashmere profile image78
    cashmereposted 14 years ago

Yeah, Traffic jams are so common place in India that its a part of life.

15. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

haha,we are free of them here. But, when I was a truck driver, believe you me I was in some horrific ones. Chicago, DC, NY, LA, Dallas and on and on. Glad to be free of them now. Woot!

16. bukan profile image60
    bukanposted 14 years ago

Yes i have experienced in "traffic Jam" - the most boring feel at that time you never get a chance to get out off their until you get your green signal. Its really fel unhealthiness.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)