Addiction Recovery

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (26 posts)
  1. GreatGoji profile image60
    GreatGojiposted 15 years ago

I do agree with what you say... Addicts of Drugs and Alcohol is not only useless but they could also be a menace to our society...No offense. Anyways, it would be best to all that they go to rehab to be given a second chance at a content and happy life they never had or so that they society would be better with them as functioning members. They could also help other addicts to be better.

1. VioletSun profile image76
      VioletSunposted 15 years agoin reply to this

a content and happy life they never had or so that they society would be better with them as functioning members. They could also help other addicts to be better.>>>

My ex is a  functional alcoholic who works for a major TV newsreporter, and worked for years as a stockbroker in Wall Street before he took his current job, so not all addicts are non functional. I do wish he could have overcome his alcohol addiction as it drains the mind, body and spirit.

2. TheCapn profile image59
      TheCapnposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Some of the greatest thinkers of our time have been functional alcoholics. FDR and Winston Churchill seemed to handle World War II alright, both were heavy drinkers.

I think alcoholism as a term should apply to those who know that drinking severely decreases the quality of their lives and still willingly get drunk.

As for the rest, perhaps this quote from James Crumley can explain, "never trust a man who doesn't drink because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl."

3. dana825 profile image60
      dana825posted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is not something that you can just say "no offense" to. Addicts are menaces to society? A problem with rehab is that it doesn't help unless you are willing to do the work and until YOU want to do the work for yourself, it won't do anything. It's cruel to call all addicts menaces to society.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

Great quote Cap'n smile

3. Bonnie Ramsey profile image69
    Bonnie Ramseyposted 15 years ago

never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent.

LOL! I drink but don't get drunk. Not because I am afraid of myself but rather the "hugging the toilet bowl" aspect of it! I have learned many years ago that it just wasn't worth "the morning after". Not to mention the headache! lol

Bonnie

4. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Agree to you Bonnie smile
    The quote is not that brilliant, for sure .

5. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

'And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk.' I am one of these. Beware. I simply enjoy a clarity of mind, and cannot stand the confused state of drunkeness. As to those other quotes, I agree.

1. TheCapn profile image59
      TheCapnposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Fair enough, but "drunkeness" is a fairly loaded term. It can be anything from having a few inhibitions loosened from a couple drinks to being a blacked out maniac who retains no memory of his exploits. When you all say that you don't get drunk, are you saying that none of you indulge in the slightest of so called "buzzing" effects of alcohol?

6. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

LOL we do enjoy those effects. But during our relatively long drinking lives we learned to stay within acceptable boundaries and not go to extremes smile

Sorry for using "we" but I thought it was pretty safe to assume Bonnie and Knol think similar smile

7. knolyourself profile image59

Mostly I drink just one beer before bed. Slows me down and knocks me out. That's a really strong Irish style stout that can only be gotten at Trader Joe's. Just went up a buck per six pack. Might have one for pain now and then, but that's very seldom fortunately.

8. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

How else do people get to sleep?

9. DJ Funktual profile image75
    DJ Funktualposted 15 years ago

Mary Jane my friends.  It is a valid alternative.   
    For sleep.  And no hangovers.   

There's only one hangover for potheads and that's the day they realize they have wasted their lives!   Hopefully most turn back before it comes.   

The wife and I are talking about making a baby for the first time in our 11 years together.
    We are quitting the wacky once and for all.   Stay tuned for DJ Funktual blog on Jonesing.. j/k

I thought The Cap'n quotes were right on!   The only problem is the semantics of generalization is called on with a spotlight sometimes.

10. knolyourself profile image59

Mary Jane for me my friend is like having a couple of dozen cups of coffee. In fact it is so psychedelic that I don't do it.

11. DJ Funktual profile image75

The problem with my addiction is same with any drug addicts. 

We are chasing a high that doesn't exist anymore.   When you first try a drug it kicks your ass and you want it again and again but of course each time it gets more diluted as well. 

The reason why the relapse rate is so high is because the addict knows that THE FIRST time is gonna be great!!!!!!!!   But the remorse they feel.  Sheesh.   It's like they've locked themselves in their own jail on purpose just to see what would happen.

For more about my life on drugs check out   http://hubpages.com/hub/My-Life-Story-i … 10-Minutes

12. knolyourself profile image59

'We are chasing a high that doesn't exist anymore.   When you first try a drug it kicks your ass and you want it again and again but of course each time it gets more diluted as well.' First heard that on an HBO produced
    'The Corner', in reference to 'crack', the predecessor to 'The Wire', all about drugs, the best series ever produced in american - my opinion. However your experience is not my experience. I think one has to account for differing body chemistries and psychology.

13. DJ Funktual profile image75

These were not my experiences.  It's the things I heard at NA meetings.  I had to go to get a Pot ticket off my record.

14. knolyourself profile image59

Ah - my mistake.

15. DJ Funktual profile image75

Ba!   big_smile

16. Cassandra Senior profile image60
    Cassandra Seniorposted 15 years ago

I'm a newly recovering heroin addict.  It has ruined my life in only 8 months.  I have no job, no money, dropped out of college, went to jail and have a felony on my record.  I've gone to quite a few different types of rehab quite a few times and hope that the last was really the last.  I mov into a halfway house at the end of next month hopefully.

17. DJ Funktual profile image75

Good Luck Cassandra.   I'll be thinkin of you and if you need to vent I'm here.

1. Cassandra Senior profile image60
      Cassandra Seniorposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thank you very much. I really do appreciate it.

18. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

LOL
    If anyone is looking for a reason NOT to outsource their social networking to Nigeria - this is it big_smile

19. profile image0
    oberbrecklingposted 15 years ago

I've smoked the gong for years and DJ's right, The only real turn off is one day you realize you wasted your life which from my experience is just what I have done. For some they stop because something traggic happens or other reasons, for me I just got tiered of doing the crap. I gave it up 8 yaers ago. I was the kind that would smoke at least 12 joints a day,"not proud of it." I have been completely down that road. Now I sit around with a bunch of health problems.

20. GreatGoji profile image60
    GreatGojiposted 15 years ago

If one wants to relieve or cure their addictions, one must know how it started, what causes it and why addicts do it. A friend once told me that "All addictions are painkillers." Well, I agreed with him while I was putting myself in an addicts mind. I mean why would anyone do it if they know that it would probably harm them. Thinking of this, I figured that I myself have done some things that what others call "Foolish Trade." While I was reading some of their stories, I came to think that I probably would have done the same or probably worse things if I was in their places. And I also think that there are more addictions other than physical addictions, and what's worse is that we don't know much about it...

21. josephdiego profile image60
    josephdiegoposted 15 years ago

Hello To all, JosephDiego here,
    Lets get to know one another, Fairly new to Hubbin, Looking to get to know you. Please Visit my page http://hubpages.com/hub/I-Recovered-Me-Through-Recovery The best way to keep it, is to give it away...I have plenty to give.  Live Clean and Sober, Life will get better everyday,one day at a time.
    Peace, Love, Health, Happiness and Massive Success..
    wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)