Pit Bulls...

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (30 posts)
  1. gamergirl profile image85
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

Whitney, do you have a hub about the REAL behavior of pit bulls?  If not, now may be the time to write one, since someone out there is writing horrible lies about APBTs on Hubpages.

2. profile image0
    Marye Audetposted 15 years ago

I would like to see a hub about the idiots that breed them..
    NOT the responsible breeders but the people like my next door neighbor who breed numerous bitches every season..and sell the pups ..for you know...

I have watched him *work* with his dogs and it is obvious what he uses them for.
    The farm next to hom raises "gaming chickens"
    SO saturday nights we have a big party between the cock fighting and the  pit bull fighting.

The local authoriities are *unable to prove what they are doing*

GRRR

Pitties are sweet, protective animals...except witht he amount of odd breeding being done many are not dependable temperment wise.
    Whitney, you really should write a hub on it.

3. Whitney05 profile image84
    Whitney05posted 15 years ago

More pit bull bashers who only post the bad and never the good? I've seen a number of hubs by one particular hubber.

Here's what I've got on them so far:
    Dog Fighting
    BSL and American Pit Bull Terriers
    Pit Bull Rehabilitation
    A Demon Sleeps In My Bed
    American Pit Bull Terrier

And the latest:
    Severe Dog Attacks and Pit Bull- Type Dogs
    The Truth About American Pit Bull Terriers

Edit- I think I just found the hub in question. Same person. Ha. He deletes all my comments now because they're against what he's trying to portray.

Edit again- I think I have a mental disorder... At least that what I read.

By the way I think my severe dog attacks one was what started his hub because he wasn't fond of what it said.

4. embitca profile image83
    embitcaposted 15 years ago

I love how he deletes your comments, but then actually responds to them like they are still there. Bizarre.

His statistics are wrong because many dog attacks are misreported as pit bull attacks when the dog wasn't even a pit bull, particularly in the media, and then never corrected. But there is no point in arguing with some people because they have no interest in listening. He obviously doesn't.

5. Hoodala profile image56
    Hoodalaposted 15 years ago

I assure you that I have never read the dog attack hub that you wrote and it had nothing to do with the hub in question.

The only time I deleted your replies was when they were redundant, otherwise I am fine with an argument and opposing viewpoints.

The really funny thing is that I was laughing the entire time I wrote that crazy hub, and knew that there was no way that anyone could take it completely serious.  But I should have known better.  You know as well as I do that the truth lies somewhere in the middle of a complete pit bull apologist and the other side of the coin.  Of course I expected Ralph Deeds to chime in with support but I certainly didn't expect the first 5 comments to be supportive of an otherwise absurd hub. roll

The real question is how can we rid ourselves of the threat and make everyone happy.

6. XSive2x profile image61
    XSive2xposted 15 years ago

big_smile Hi there all. Just cuzd in to see wahtz up! Looks good. Always looking for good stuff about building bikes.

X

7. Hoodala profile image56

embitca you obviously have no clue what hub is in question.  NUFF said

1. embitca profile image83
      embitcaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You have more than one hub on the topic of pit bulls. In one of them, you have two comments that are obviously addressing a previous comment that has been deleted. One of your comments addresses Whitney by name even though there is no corresponding comment from her visible and I'd be willing to bet that the other invisible comment is by her as well.

8. XSive2x profile image61
    XSive2xposted 15 years ago

I own a pitty. There is a bad nick name. Actualy there no such breed but............I have found that if you treat any thing, anima,l bad, it will bit your but. I notice people don't keep Killer Whales , there cool!!!!!!!!!, training one to attack will cost you an arm or more I bet so no one gets one.
    Stafashire Bull Terriers are bred to be family oriented creatures. Protect the family. Fearcly loyal.
    Breeders are bad. That is the need to be stopped if there doing it for the wrong resons.
    These wonderfull dogs are the best.

When I brout hime home every one was intimidated by his pressence until they watched him for a while.... he blubbers for attention, rolls over at the sight of some one offering to rub his tummy, and every well treated dog I have ever met is a great companion. Kelsy was an abbandoned dog. He had many scares so we knew what he was used for. But gess what! He is the best. Introverted but he is learning he won't be hit for any thing.
    Quick to addopt our demener, we are retired at 60 so we are slow and he is energetic!
    Nerotic owner = nerotic dog%@%#^*!@#&($*#% A law that says if your nerotic = no animals PERIOD. GANG - SAME
    Shoot the illegal trainers I say

Z

9. Whitney05 profile image84

Hoodala, I assure you that you have seen it as you've posted 2 comments towards it. You may not have read it, but you've come across it. Thought it was hilarious that I brought up the GSD in the hub.

You've deleted comments that I've made towards other people. And comments with real statistics and data, even when mine was the first comment. It's not redundant if it hasn't been mentioned yet.

Embitca is right, you delete my comments but leave your own in response to mine. You've told me to take my blinders off for seeing both sides when you only report one.

10. Hoodala profile image56

Well I take it back Just went and looked at your hub and I have already read it, but it doesn't have anything to do with the hub I wrote whatsoever. 

One of these days I will tell you what my real motivation is for writing those hubs.  I am sure you don't care but it will be fun to share with you when the time is right.

Alan

11. Hoodala profile image56

Whitney,  My mistake I have never closed the comments on one of my hubs before, (There were many reasons to close the comments on some of those hubs I am sure you get more than a few wacko comments also) and I could still see them.  Anyway I just forgot to approve them, which I just did.  All of your comment should show up now

12. Whitney05 profile image84

No, Hoodala, those comments appeared as soon as I submitted them. But a few minutes later they were shown in my hubtivity as unapproved, whereas prior to that they were seen as approved. I had a few comments where you replied to them, I replied back to you, and you deleted the reply, so I submitted it again, and that was deleted. and then I go back and my initial comment was gone.

I, also, never said that the two were related, but that it could be the cause of you writing the hub. Being perturbed by mine, go and write your own that depicted your opinions, where mine depicts facts.

13. Hoodala profile image56

Statistics for 1982-2006

Pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios, and their mixes:
    Attacks doing bodily harm total number  1638 (74% of all attacks)
    Adults 776 (68% of all attacks)
    Children 537 (82% of all attacks)
    Fatalities 172 (65% of all attacks)
    Maimings 893 (68% of all attacks)

I wonder what percentage of all of the dogs in the US are pits or rotts I would guess somewhere south of 5%.  Yet they cause 65% of all fatalities and 74% of all of the attacks. 

But there is nothing wrong with these dogs or their owners.........LIVING IN DENIAL

14. embitca profile image83
    embitcaposted 15 years ago

I can't believe you are quoting dogbitelaw.com for your statistics. The only source of statistics on that site is the press. And the press has been shown over and over again to inaccurately report the breeds of dogs involved in bites and to also severely under-report. In other words, they basically only report if their favorite "bad breeds" are involved -- pit bulls, rotties, and the like. There is nothing even remotely scientific about that website's stats.

Both the Centers for Disease Control and the American Veterinary Medical Association dismiss the accurancy and relevance of dog bite statistics

http://www.avma.org/public_health/dogbite/dogbite.pdf (Pdf file)

15. gamergirl profile image85

Come now, statistics?  Didn't you know 43% of statistics are made up?  (a very common kind of saying, the percentage number changes all the time.)

http://forloveofunderdogs.com/ArePitsDangerous.html

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j196/blueyeszz/Truebullytemperament.jpg

16. profile image0
    helenathegreatposted 15 years ago

gamergirl, I LOVE pictures like that!  Little children cuddling with their "fierce" dogs is the cutest thing ever.

I, too, wrote a hub about pit bull type dogs in response to a hub here, though not in response to one written by Hoodala.  If you haven't seen it before but are interested in that type of thing, you can check it out at http://hubpages.com/hub/BadDog .  It seems like all of these types of hubs generate a lot of discussion here on HubPages.  And, as in almost every case, the side that knows less about the subject is the one that will not listen to any logic.

17. Angela Harris profile image66
    Angela Harrisposted 15 years ago

Gamergirl, that picture is adorable. It reminds me of a website (I wish I could remember it) that showed literally hundreds of pictures of Pit Bulls that had been killed (in California, I believe) because of breed ban laws. There were no exceptions to the rule. There were photos of Pit Bulls that were therapy dogs, pictures like you showed with children sleeping with them, elderly people with their beloved pitties. It was heartbreaking.

18. gamergirl profile image85

I have dozens of pictures of children sleeping with APBTs in their laps, under them, next to them.  There is a picture I have of a baby - less than a year old - pulling on an APBT's lips and it just licked the baby's hand.  We all know how baby's can pull, so that right there is amazing.

The point is - if you want to write about Pit bulls, fine.

Don't insult the owners who strive to raise this breed above the stigmata of aggression.

Don't insult the breed because of the poor habits of bad owners.

I don't care if you are writing a series of hubs for the express purpose of writing one final hub stating that each of the previous ones was to draw attention to the REAL facts.  Represent things truthfully, even if from your own bias, but incorporate complete facts and details. 

I'm going to be adopting a pit next, come to think of it.

19. Bonnie Ramsey profile image68
    Bonnie Ramseyposted 15 years ago

I agree, Charlotte! I get riled enough when people attack my two grand-dogs but when the insult my daughter, that is a whole new ring of fire! Especially since they got their first APBT from someone who was beating, starving and otherwise abusing her simply because she refused to fight! This is just one subject that turns my stomach to read some of the biased posts that people write just because they are too influenced to do research and have a mind of their own! I know you will enjoy your new baby. Be sure to do a hub with pics when you get it!

Bonnie

20. gamergirl profile image85

I'm going to check craigslist and a few other places for pits, and I will most definitely post pictures, you know I won't be able to resist.  Fun pictures to come of my fiance and I holding Sierra up in one arm.  (first I took a picture of my fiance holding her, then he took one of me holding her.)

21. Bonnie Ramsey profile image68
    Bonnie Ramseyposted 15 years ago

Cool! Will be looking forward to those, too! Good luck finding your Pit!

Bonnie

22. Angela Harris profile image66
    Angela Harrisposted 15 years ago

Can't wait for the pictures, gg. Glad to hear about the bully adoption. They are so sweet. As a matter of fact, a neighbor used to have a pit bull named Sweet that roamed loose around a neighborhood full of kids. Other than occasionally getting into a person's trash, she wasn't a problem at all.

23. Whitney05 profile image84

Hoodala, those statistics are very inaccurate. The CDC has the most accurate statistics, and even theirs are no 100% correct. Check ou the links in my dog attack hub. You'll find real information and statistics.

I'm not living in denial, and I do own an APBT. What mental issues I may have are not from my dog. I do agree with Charlotte in that it's one thing to write a series of hubs portraying the bad things abut the breed, but another to criticize and insult the people who have them as pets.

Charlotte definitely check out a Bully rescue in NC. You'll find great pups. My cousin is friends with a lady who owns a bully rescue in SC, if you want the number, I can get it for you. I have definitely tried rescues, but I was turned down because I was looking for a female pup and  1) I already have a female dog and 2) have 2 unneutered older, senior males. Most bully breed rescues that I checked out will not adopt out dogs of same sex. Finding a rescue will allow you to get a good temperament description before bringing home an older pup.

24. profile image0
    helenathegreatposted 15 years ago

You can also find a great rescue by looking for listings of pits on Petfinder.com, which is my favorite place to find dogs.  smile

25. Whitney05 profile image84

I want to share a story about these inherently vicious dogs.

Characters:
    2 women
    2 toddlers
    2 adult, male APBTs

Background history:
    Zeus- older male, brindle, laid back
    Kane- younger, white, fiesty and a major instigator in fights

Sub-Story:
    Zeus, being laid back takes a lot of crap and pushing from Kane, the more dominant of the 2. They are both neutered, but still have their fights and argument, usually when Zeus has had enough of Kane in his face. Well, the last fight called for my cousin to pulling one dog and his wife pulling the other apart. They had to be carefuly pulling the dogs apart as Zeus's tooth was through Kane's lip.

Sub-Story 2:
    Kane has attack a 4 month old APBT that weighs 50 pounds.The pup is taken care of by my cousin's best friend, and makes frequent play dates at his house. One day they got into it, leaving the pup with a huge neck wound, that is now a huge scar behind his head.

These dogs are covered in battle wounds from their own fights, and are loved family pets, living indoors, and sleeping on the bed.

Main Story:
    While he was at work, my cousin's wife invited her friend over. The friend has 2 yound children- one is aged around 2 and the other much younger.

Now, Zeus and Kane have never been around young kids before. The neighbors have young kids, but the dogs are never really in contact with them because they're inside dogs. So anyway.... Having NO socialization with younger kids, this sounds like a bad situation waiting to happen.

Zeus, being laid back, could have cared less about the kids.

Kane, being more fiesty and dominant, was terrified and didn't want anything to do with them.

End of story- both young children went home with their mother. All three with 10 toes and 10 fingers.

Meaning of the story- not all APBTs are inherently vicious and baby-killers. Remember these 2 adult, male Pit Bulls have never had real contact with young children before....

Side Note: This is what I wake up to every morning.

http://www.goreptiles.com/uploads/sleeping-girl.jpg
    http://www.goreptiles.com/uploads/MIA-and-Codie.jpg

26. profile image0
    Peter_Sobczakposted 15 years ago

I wish hoodala understood that a lot of pit bull attacks are by dogs that aren't pure pit bulls. you got people who want to create a super huge breed by mixing various large breed dogs and wind up with the garbage he has on his pit bull hub. Not only physically garbage, but genetically unstable. Pit Bulls are not huge like that naturally. The standard is between 40-60 lbs I believe, I could be off, but not by that much. As far as your page, yeah real informative. Just badly photoshopped (9th grade graphics class level) pictures of the evil breed. Just stick to your internet boobs and butts that you love so much, and don't act like you know what your talking about.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/skk_flip/IM000907.jpg
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/skk_flip/IM000904.jpg
    I'm glad my cat made it out of that alive.

27. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Was it necessary to ressurect two months old thread just to make a personal attack? Not a good start I would tell...

28. profile image0
    Peter_Sobczakposted 15 years ago

Gee sorry I'm new here and found a subject I am passionate about and responded to someone's negativity with my own comment. And for the record since I actually devoted most of my comment about the subject and left my personal comments for like the last two sentences, I think I have the right to say that.

29. Whitney05 profile image84

Yes, Peter just leave this one be... This is a never ending fight between Hoodala and myself. He has tons of Pit bashing hubs out there and refuses to listen to real facts and statistics. You just have to ignore him and he'll ignore you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)