Do you think this site has deteriorated?

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (73 posts)
  1. Eldritch Elegy profile image61
    Eldritch Elegyposted 14 years ago

It was great when I joined, but now it's much slower (seems to be a lot less activity) and it seems there are a lot more small-minded big-mouthed kids here.

Some of my favorite hubbers still seem to be here, but that's pretty much the only reason I visit anymore.

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Aw really? You mean no one wants to listen to you preaching?

In that case - sure..........

1. John Kounoupis profile image60
        John Kounoupisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Heehee.... You took the words right out of my mouth.

1. profile image0
          lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

mine too big_smile

1. tantrum profile image60
            tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

and mine as well! but Mark always does ! lol
            nice pic, lyrics !! smile

2. tantrum profile image60

Good bye !! big_smile

3. profile image0
      pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's only a general impression and very subjective, but I think the internet has changed since I first joined HP. When I first came here, it wasn't that hard to get freelance work and everyone here seemed pretty friendly. I don't remember any trolls. (Maybe they were here but I just don't remember.)

Now, it seems like everybody and their mother is trying to make a buck online and trying to sell you something so you can too, plus, HP has several resident trolls. By trolls I mean people who rarely write hubs and just lurk around the forums and the hubs of people they dislike to snark and snipe and generally degrade the atmosphere and make it a drag for everyone.

But I don't know that that is unique to Hub Pages. I think it happens to all popular web sites after awhile. That's my perception anyway, for what it's worth.

4. profile image0

It's a shame you feel that way - do you know everyone on the site?

5. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Having looked at your hubs, you dont seem like you could be happy with anything. It is hard to cater for everybody, especially emos. If somebody wants to believe that everything is deteriorating then nobody can change their perception, just dont let yourself stay on that downward spiral for too long.

6. Himitsu Shugisha profile image73
      Himitsu Shugishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I just joined a couple of weeks ago, but I find that the interaction and feedback has been great. I'd be interested to read how some of the vets feel about what you wrote.

7. profile image0
      Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"seems there are a lot more small-minded big-mouthed kids here"

Wow that is harsh! Find another website then if you don't like this one anymore.

1. profile image0
        blatvaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree. That seems to be a vague insult to anyone who hasn't been on here as long as you. And yet, I almost have as many hubs as you!
        There's really no reason to get huffy. If you don't like their work, Then don't read it.

Kinda solves your problem.

8. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm assuming you mean the forums, rather than the whole site?

When I first joined, pretty much the only people on the HubPages forums were Hubbers.  For some reason, recently there's been an influx of people with no interest in Hubbing, who are just here for the forums.  On some threads, they seem to have taken over from the Hubbers!  I don't understand why that's the case and I think it's a shame, because it dilutes the writers' community. And all the nastiness means that Hubbers are more likely to stay away and get on with the job instead.

9. profile image0
      Pacal Votanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't worry about what people said here. I think that some of them have misunderstood your post.

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

I'm sorry you feel that way. sad

Well, she looks angry, doesn't she ?
      lol

1. profile image0

or constipated

lol lol lol

2. Bovine Currency profile image60
          Bovine Currencyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would be angry when constipated.  Hasn't been a problem for me lately tongue

3. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

Well it is certainly not slower, I have just achieved a record number of page views for the past 24 hours... over 5000. Hubpages traffic has constantly grown. You only have 23 hubs though, in 9 months, so you will be falling behind.... the web grows and grows, hubpages grows and grows, something like 100,000 new hubs in 2 months..... that represented 20% growth.... are you writing quick enough to retain your share of the traffic?

Not sure who you refer to with your other comments, but the forum is nothing but a small part of this site; so many hubbers publish but do not participate in the forums - much like you.

1. GeneralHowitzer profile image67
      GeneralHowitzerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow ryan you are really doing your homework 5,000 views in a day is great... I posted consistent views either and have some increase... smile

Hi Craz, How is it going...

1. profile image0

heya General! been a while since we've chatted lol going good for me...how about yourself?

1. GeneralHowitzer profile image67
          GeneralHowitzerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah it is, thats good you're doing fine... I'm doin well too...

I just  made a hub that is a tribute to your Dad feel free to read it if you have time.. i'll post the link to one of your hub... big_smile

4. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 14 years ago

I'm sure I'M not the problem! http://www.smiley-faces.org/smiley-faces/smiley-face-angel-006.gif

5. Laura du Toit profile image74
    Laura du Toitposted 14 years ago

Anything in life is what you put in and what you make of what is available. If you don't give much you can hardly expect much in return. I find I only get out of Hubpages, or any other site, the same amount as what I am prepared to put in. smile

6. Eldritch Elegy profile image61
    Eldritch Elegyposted 14 years ago

... hmm. This topic seems to have proven my point.

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cagsil, I think you are proving her point - the original poster didn't say anything rude or nasty, she merely expressed her opinion.  To be disparaging in return is completely uncalled for.

2. profile image0

You had a point? really? I didn't see one expcet for you complaining about the people on here. Like someone else said start your own topic and see if anyone wants to join you. Of course after a remark like the one you made I doubt it.

1. drej2522 profile image67
        drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like it!

3. profile image0

Oh she did Pacal when she came back and wrote this.

7. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

just remember, small minds discuss people.

8. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Seems to me if you are unhappy with the level of conversation on a forum then you should start a conversation that will live up to your standards.

1. profile image0
      Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Amen.

2. profile image0

She wasn't talking about the forum.

1. profile image0

Actually Pacal she is talking about the forums

1. profile image0

How do you know? I thought that someone who has 30 or so forum posts in 9 months might not know so much about the forums.

9. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

Thank God for small miracles....big_smile

10. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

I think some of the replies are kind of harsh. Not everyone knows what they want from this site. It does have its ups and downs. And it does change. For example I've noticed in recent months more product-oriented hubs. I don't see that as good or bad, just different when compared to two years ago. So some people, they come here and like it, then things change, they don't like it anymore.

The internet is like that, not just Hub Pages. Sometimes I like it. Other times it gets on my nerves. I think it's normal to have those changing feelings about it. Tis site takes a lot of energy and effort and the payoff is not always obvious. You have to have a certain drive independent of what you get out of it in order to keep writing here.

11. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I do admit that I am annoyed that every thread on the religious forum ends up in the same arguments. No matter what the topic, it always ends up arguing about evolution or homosexuality.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

not only do they end up arguing, they end up hi-jacked. if someone wants to discuss something, let them discuss. if people aren't interested, then don't go in. why is that so hard to get?
      attention seeking... hmm

2. profile image0
      pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That gets to me too. I only pop in here sporadically and it never lasts very long.

On the other hand, when things got very ugly here in September and October the HP staff did crack down on some of the most aggressive offenders. Lots of wailing about it, but at least they did try to get people to be a little more decent to each other.

12. profile image0

Exciting isn't it? Ugh. I couldn't get up enough enthusiasm to pull that one off, sorry. big_smile

13. Bovine Currency profile image60
    Bovine Currencyposted 14 years ago

its getting like the Irish in there at the moment.

14. profile image0

They're using cutlery now?

15. profile image0

Hi Y'all! big_smile

1. profile image0

Denno? Is that really you? no sheep but you?

1. profile image0

Yeah, that's the real me. big_smile

damnit! I miss the sheep!

1. profile image0

Well, I'm glad for your sake lol

2. profile image0

wow Denno. Nice pic

1. wyanjen profile image71
            wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ditto.

Crazd, do we need to start a new fan club?
            (lol)

1. profile image0

that's all you jen that's all you lol tongue wink

2. profile image0

Hmm, nice mug big_smile

1. wyanjen profile image71

Well, I added the mistletoe just today.

lol

1. profile image0

I am soooo inclined to do the holiday festive thingy big_smile

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
                    mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Love your new image Denno, very cute wink

2. wyanjen profile image71

Mistletoe is one of the few holiday traditions I hold sacred.

I also participate in the office XMas party every year.
                    Can't get away from it.

lol

16. Colebabie profile image61
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Nope, cuz dre is still here!

(Just sendin' the love back your way smile )

awww...(touched)

17. h.a.borcich profile image60
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

The forums here are...intense. The religion forum threads do get hijacked and usually end up with the same few having the same perpetual arguments.

And other topics tend to be high emotion threads. They can quickly get very rough. Many opinions and diversity makes quite a stew.

There also is a bully type presence from time to time. If one of the "group" dislikes you, they will taunt ruthlessly. I have seen it play out repeatedly. They can be friendly when they want to, but very mean when they choose to be. Take it in stride. I do.

Those are just how the forum is now. Maybe it will change, maybe it won't. Just keep writing, I think you have good hubs:)

18. beth811 profile image78
    beth811posted 14 years ago

So simple! If you don't like here anymore, have a graceful exit. Just don't make fuss about this site and hubbers here whom you labeled  degradingly.

19. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I  don't know about some of these posters anymore. This is  almost like home to me now. Family like with all the fuss and drama too. Where else could one find such beautiful people? hubbers are the bestest! big_smile

1. profile image0

We do our best to achieve the least! big_smile

2. h.a.borcich profile image60
      h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

There really are a good bunch of writers and hubs. I been dragging getting more hubs published...is it bad to publish like 4 or more in a day?

3. profile image0
      Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

Okay denno spill it! About your pic....are you looking over your shoulder because someone is sneaking up on ya or are you just up to no good? big_smile

1. profile image0

Always up to no good. lol

1. profile image0

Yep I nailed it! lol

4. profile image0

I scare myself sometimes big_smile

5. Mighty Mom profile image77
      Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

Holiday festive thingy?
      I want a holiday festive thingy! big_smile

6. profile image0

You did General? aa how sweet I'll have to read it and you might want to change dad to grandpa though...Papa means grandpa to me lol

7. profile image0

"and it seems there are a lot more small-minded big-mouthed kids here."
      That is what tipped me off that she is talking about the forums.

1. profile image0

I thought she was talking about new hubbers hubs. But you may be right. Hope she comes back to clarify.

8. Eaglekiwi profile image75
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Ouch @small minded...

Gosh Ive never met/chatted to you before ,so I reckon you dont know me either smile

Please dont judge, but if ya want to- write a hub about it, and ya can bitch n whine about how mean ,small minded people are ,cuz Ive read a couple of those types of hubs and it seems to be cheaper than therapy...why I might even write one if I could just pull myself away from one of those other deterioting sites  lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)