Cosmetic Surgery - would you have it?

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (38 posts)
  1. TravelMonkey profile image59
    TravelMonkeyposted 14 years ago

Would anyone one hubpages ever consider going under the knife, getting a little lift or a little taken off... or added for that matter?

It'd be nice to know your views on having enhanced body parts.
    If the answer is yes then what would you have?

1. profile image0
      Ana Louisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No.  I think that we are too cavalier about surgery in todays society.  I would love to have less wrinkles and a flater tummy, but the risks out-way the any other consideration.  Besides facelifts make a person look freaky and fake.  I much prefer the real thing.

However, reconstructive surgery to correct a disfigureing condition is a wonderful thing and I would absolutely go for that.

2. dishyum profile image57
    dishyumposted 14 years ago

I wouldn't

3. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Yup I would. But I'm good for now smile

4. Klniksta profile image61
    Klnikstaposted 14 years ago

noo, because everyone's beautiful just the way they are

5. Bob Cedar profile image58
    Bob Cedarposted 14 years ago

depends on the situation, if it was something to fix myself after a car accident or something than yeah. but for vanity, nope. i'll cut my hair a certain way, wear certain clothes. that's as far as i'll get to enhancing myself. lol

6. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

Actually, I just had some cosmetic surgery last week.  I have a disease called Ocular Myasthenia Gravis which has caused my eyelid to droop and eye to drift.  I have had the symptoms for over 14 years and was just diagnosed recently.  Since there is no cure for what I have, I can only treat the symptoms. 

Last week, I wrote a hub which briefly explained my experience.

http://hubpages.com/ produces             http://hubpages.com/hub/Ptosis-Surgery

1. profile image0
      Ana Louisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am glad that there is a surgical proceedure to help you.  I hope you are doing well.

1. livewithrichard profile image73
        livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am doing well, thank you.  Though the surgery was a success, it only treated a symptom and not the disease.  However, the symptom was a real downer on my ego and senes of worth.  I feel great about what I have done and wish I had done it sooner.

7. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

For Vanity purposes no
    Reconstructive      yes

But if anyone offered me a Makeover Id take it

yea I know contrary

8. profile image51
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

I would love a nose job but from what I hear its like hell painwise days after the operation.

1. frogdropping profile image77
      frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Someone's trying to scare you Badco. I had mine done - wasn't a straight forward op either. I honestly suffered nothing other than discomfort i.e. I simply couldn't breathe through my nose for the swelling/packing and it was a bit sore for a few days. But no agony, no pain.

And G|M?

You're after being either a cyborg whatsit or an android. That's simply not cosmetic surgery dahhhhling - that's fabrication and welding wink

1. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
        GeneriqueMediaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nuh-uh. I have a plus ten Crystal Ball in my character's sack. It says so right on the sheet. ;D

1. frogdropping profile image77
          frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In your sack?

*snickers*

big_smile

1. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
            GeneriqueMediaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're evil. ;P

I'm going to use my plus 10 helmet of impervious to perversion. *puts on cap*

There, I'm now innocent again.

G|M

9. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

I've debated this time and time again but am sort of leery because of anaesthesia. I've never been under before and I know that some people can have allergic reactions (although it is rare). I'm pretty allergic to ibuprofen (can't breathe well when I take it) and if I can't handle that, who knows if I could handle anaesthesia! I can, however handle very strong pain killers, but who knows.

ANYWAYS, (I'm rambling lol), I have never been happy with my nose or with my upper arms. Flabby arms run on BOTH sides of my family and no matter how much weight I lose and how much I hit the gym and work to target my arms, I still have lots of flab. My grandmother weighs about 95 lbs and has an insane amount of arm flab. I think it's one of those things that is only fixable via cosmetic surgery.

10. TravelMonkey profile image59
    TravelMonkeyposted 14 years ago

I think I'd opt for a free make over too but I wouldn't save up for a surgery. Most people don't hit the genetic lottery so are guided into going under the knife to fix their problems, i bet most times surgery isn't even needed.

11. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
    GeneriqueMediaposted 14 years ago

Yes.

I want a datajack so I can plug my head into a computer.
    I wouldn't mind some embeded mono filament razors in my hands...
    or cool eye set inserts with time and stuff. Just not like directly connected to the internet because I don't want to die watching a popup as I lose control of my car.

G|M

12. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 14 years ago

I would have cosmetic surgery if I were in a car accident and lost my nose, or something like that.  But as far as vanity?  Lipo/facelift/boob job/nose job just for the sake of "correcting" some perceived flaw?  Not even if you paid me.

13. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 14 years ago

I think people should correct some problems if they wish and can afford to do so - like the condition of eyelids bagging down over the eyes so one cannot open them, car crash mutilations, breast reconstruction after mastectomy, the Tree Man condition and all of the like.

But, I was disappointed when at the last Oldies Palooza in Frankenmuth MI, there was a large focus on giving away minor plastic surgery gift packages instead of the usual T-Shirts, which you could not even buy. The two morning show people kept modeling their surgery from a new sponsor and...this year there is no Palooza that I can find listed. 

I just heard it was cancelled.

14. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 14 years ago

I must add - another patient (age 40s) at my dentist's office  went for a full mouthful of large crowns (Hollywood crowns) and continued to undergo a dozen or more plastic surgeries at her husband's request and when she was done - he left her for a 19-yr-old within a few months.

If you have the elective surgeries, have them for yourself.

1. profile image49
      ladyvenusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm afraid to go under the knife. Though I want it for the sake of vanity but I'm just afraid lol.that's it.

15. Shil1978 profile image87
    Shil1978posted 14 years ago

I wouldn't, except if possibly I had a horrible accident and got disfigured. Otherwise, I think natural is fine. Of course, some people never like the way they are - even if others think they look just fine.

I've also heard of cases where it becomes a sort of an addiction. I think it has the potential to really mess you up, once you get going on that path.

The risks are real, but people just seem so certain that its 100% safe that they always look over the risks!!!

16. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

The addiction is body dismorphic disorder (BDD). It is a very real and serious disorder.

Of course there are risks with any surgery. I just think that if someone wants something changed about their body and surgery is a good option, then go for it. I know a lot of people who have gotten plastic surgery, but they were all little things to make themselves feel better. Like I said, I would, if I felt it was necessary.

My cousin has one breast that is a cup and a half smaller than the other, she has also lost 60 pounds, so she plans to have breast augmentation. My mom grew up on a farm, not wearing a bra, and then had three kids... so she had a breast lift and reduction. My friend had three C-sections and had a tummy tuck.

17. Research Analyst profile image74
    Research Analystposted 14 years ago

purely for vanity no, but if it was for health reasons yes

18. jcales profile image54
    jcalesposted 14 years ago

People in their 40's and 50's are doing it to compete with the younger generation for jobs. Just a little nip and tuck here and there.

19. Kyanisunrise profile image60
    Kyanisunriseposted 14 years ago

Not Me! If they started cutting away the ugly there may not be anything left. LOL

20. Liquid_Vitamins profile image60
    Liquid_Vitaminsposted 14 years ago

Nope.

21. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I wouldn't be above a little facial dermabrasion at some point, but that's it.  The right diet and exercise fix a lot of problems; so, to me, unless someone has some truly awful nose (or something), nobody should have plastic surgery.

22. SeSharer profile image61
    SeSharerposted 14 years ago

So far as I know, in Asia, especially in South Korea, almost all girls do it. I don't think there are any Stars not have cosmeic surgeries.

Some Chinese pop star also go to South Korea to do plastic surgery to make themselves more beautiful.

23. lumberjack profile image67
    lumberjackposted 14 years ago

i'm getting cosmetic surgery next week!!!

im gettin a tiny little piece of protruding scar tissue on my eyelid removed lolol

24. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

No, surgery always poses a risk.  I am accepting my aging gracefully.

25. ocbill profile image53
    ocbillposted 14 years ago

I think your answers will vary from people who are 20 to 35 years old as they are "more likely" to be more fit and active than someone who is 40 years old or more.

I know as as I used to be more active and play competitive sports but not much time as you get older and enjoy other things. So, taking off 10 or 20 lbs during your lunchbreak by smart lipo seems like a good deal. And with the crappy fat producing food sold in average grocery stores you are likely to become overweight and want to get back to your normal weight standard. My hubs feature some interesting techniques.

As far as going under the knife for cosmetic reasons to rid yourself of wrinkles or self-proclaimed defects that is a different story and to each his/her own. My short answer is yes. I would for skin rejuvenation, to remove a scar, make skin better or maybe a smaller nose.

26. rose0208 profile image61
    rose0208posted 14 years ago

i would. just do your research on doctor that is going to do your surgery and the anesthesiologist. there is nothing wrong with plastic surgery i had it done and i love it. people that say you are pretty as you are but trust me if they had a chance and or finance they would do it. In my opinion to get plastic is nothing wrong just dont go over board go ahead you will enjoy it

27. HealthCare Basics profile image61
    HealthCare Basicsposted 14 years ago

I don't know about the cosmetic procedures because friends of mine went to the extreme with total lifts of the face and it  makes them look as if they are facing a wind tunnel. Yet, plastic surgeons have told me it is better to go at it in small procedures by lid lifting or minor face lifting.

As for anesthesia, I work in the medical field and was always leary of going under, but I had an inguinal hernia the size of a small alien on my abdomen. I finally convinced myself to have surgery and had no problems during or after recovery. Pain, yes, but nothing the pain pills couldn't  handle at home.

Oh, I had a friend who opted for the acid peel on her face and she looks wonderful. One week after the procedure her face looked ten years younger and no scars.

28. RoyG profile image60
    RoyGposted 14 years ago

No. Plastic surgery is a fix to boost the ego. My friend had plastic surgery and regretted it. The problem of feeling better about yourself cannot be remedied with a knife. Exceptions do exist. Deformity resulting from an accident or at birth may be the exception to the rule. However, if you feel strongly enough to get it don't let me stop you.

1. dishyum profile image57
      dishyumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Is it?

29. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I would like to put in a word for the plastic surgeons who do cancer and other plastic repairs where radical surgery is involved. Some jobs I have seen are masterpieces! smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)