Alcoholic husband

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (16 posts)
  1. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Does he have a problem due to his drinking? Or do you have a problem with his drinking?

2. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

I have alot to say on this topic, I think I will email you though..if you read through many things I have talked about..well, you will understand..
    I know what it is like, I even have been at the wrong end of abuse due to alcoholism....

There is a reason why my husband is one and I married one time, for better and for worse...
    talk to your husband when he is sober, try and get him to see his ways, it is not an overnight process and it is not an easy one..it may take awhile..

once he realizes what he is doing, if he is a good person, ( mine was not like this untill his mother died of cancer they claimed she was in remission from and some other outside issues recently) he will seek help for himself to be the man he used to be..

only time will tell

3. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

My girlfriend dealt with that situation for years, and she really didn't want to separate from her husband; because she knew he had a problem and was otherwise a very good guy.  After a while, though, he got so he was drunk and difficult so often she didn't want her kids having to deal with it, and see it.  She said his drinking had gone from not really being all that big of a problem for everyone in the house, to being a very big one.

The last time I talked to her she said she'd be glad to take him back if he got help for his drinking problem, but he hadn't.  He was "safely" living with his parents, though, so she knew he wasn't out on the street or anything like that.  I think sometimes people can feel they have no choice.  Having not lived with the situation I'd be very reluctant to say what I think I'd do (because we usually learn that unless we're in a situation we don't really know what we'd do).  I think, though, I'd probably do similarly to what my friend did.

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 14 years ago

I've been through this. How about a compromise, like drinking only on the weekends? Does he drink beer or liquor?

1. Black Lilly profile image60
        Black Lillyposted 14 years ago

When someone is an alcoholic, everyone around him has problems. Including himself.

2. profile image0
        poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

tough love is required, hard but the only way to save him

3. prettydarkhorse profile image62
        prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

it will be difficult and devastating to you and your family, specially if you have children, the only thing I can say is for the wife to support get him counseling, and serving like a police to him, as much as possible avoid the ways in which he will drink again, this is very difficult for you, you need all the strenth of mind and emotions..

4. profile image0
        lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago
        1. profile image0
          poetlorraineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i found alanon so helpful when my sister was fading away due to alcoholism, it so helped me understand the illness and stopped me being judgemental.  I was able to cry amongst people that understood, it was a safe place for me at their meetings.... my poor sister, so sad this condition takes young lives

1. profile image0
            lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Being a recovering heroin and cocaine addict myself, now in recovery i see the pain this disease causes the ones around us who love us most and feel helpless.  Alanon is a good program and I am so glad it helped you, I really do understand the pain, I too have active addicted family members. Bless, Kimberly

5. Jerami profile image59
        Jeramiposted 14 years ago

How old are the two of you?
          How much time is invested in your relationship?
          Are there children involved
          How long has this been a problem?
          These questions should be dominate in your decision making process.  What worked for other people may not work in your situation.
          Anything that you do will have its consequences.
        The first thing that you should do is to really get into your own head and decide what you can live with or without.
          Do not threaten divorce unless it is a real ultimatum.
          I've been on both sides of that fence
          I don't think that he will ever quit until he understands that the drinking is not "THE" problem. Another issue or issues are driving the drinking.
           He must also recognize the amount of damage it is inflicting upon the family, he will have to recognize this for himself.   

Once the stinkin thinkin sets in, everything becomes an excuse for that first drink. He feels that drinking is not the problem, it is a cure.
            He is avoiding a problem that he can't or does not want to deal with. He may not even recognize what the core of his problem is any more. Good luck and many blessings to ya

6. alexandriaruthk profile image69
        alexandriaruthkposted 14 years ago

alanon is good like lyricsngray suggested

1. Jerami profile image59
          Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

alexandria and lyricngray may be correct but I must add that
          I've known two  people that went to alanon and they didn't like it. Alanon made them look at themselves as a contributing factor to his drinking.
             When my wife had this problem I found suport from a friend that was going to AA.  Ya might want to hear from both sides of the issue

1. profile image0
            lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Certainly we could not assume 12 step programs work for everyone besides those who do attend only 3% will live in the solution of recovery and die that way.  The remainder go back whether alcoholic or co dependent family members who suffer their disease from the outside.

You cannot however blame the program of Alanon for that woman, you get what you give and take in any program.  Her issues, like denial are powerful, baffling, cunning and causes as much sickness as the alcoholic or addict.

www.alanon.com
            www.alateen.com
            www.aa.org
            www.na.org
            www.ca.org
            www.dearaddict.ca

should anyone need info or help.  You don't have to be alone.

7. Jerami profile image59
        Jeramiposted 14 years ago

I did not intend to put down alanon. And I apologize if it came out that way. Alanon is a great program.
        I was just sudjesting that  it may  help to hear all of the advice avaliable.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
      Necessary
      HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
      LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
      Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
      AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
      Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
      CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
      Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
      Features
      Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
      Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
      Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
      Marketing
      Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
      Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
      Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
      Statistics
      Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
      ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
      ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)