Workstation upgrade

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (40 posts)
  1. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

I have a pretty good workstation that I built way back in 2004. I am tired of RMAing motherboards though. I wanna upgrade already - but I kinda lost a feel of what is going on on this market. If anybody cares to advise, I am open for your advice.

I need sort of top of the line with a potential for further upgrades, so I don't have to pull my hairs a year or two down the road. Currently I have ASUS NCT-D, which is dual Xeon 800 MHz FSB. Thanks smile

2. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 15 years ago

I think that my next upgrade will be to an Apple Mac.

I find I can't ignore or bag them any more, and I'm sick and tired of trying to keep track of all the PC related stuff like I have been for years.
    I've deliberately not kept up to date with the PC hardware world recently, so I don't feel I can advise you on your PC upgrade Misha.

I want something simpler, that works. And by all accounts, and from what I have heard from friends who have bought them - the new Macs do everything that PC's do only better, faster, and with no hassles.

3. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Thanks Eric smile

Not for me though, I am a PC guy since mid 80s, I know them inside out - and I am kind of lazy to learn new techy stuff if I don't have to. smile

I don't know how things turn out in future, but for this upgrade I am definitely staying with PC.

4. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

I switched to a mac after years on a PC

I am never going back big_smile

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

LOL Mark, those were different years I guess. You spent those years using PCs, and I was gutting and troubleshooting them. smile If something happens, I don't go to repair shop, I fix it myself. That's why I don't want to switch to a different base - I will have either to pay fpr repairs, or to learn how to deal with Macs myself - and I don't want to smile

1. Eric Graudins profile image60
        Eric Graudinsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Exactly the thoughts of the horse carriage makers when cars started coming on the scene.
        And we all know what happened to the ones that didn't want to move with the times lol

(And I'm eagerly awaiting a HUGE rant from you now Misha about flawed analogies. Please don't disappoint me lol )

1. Misha profile image63

LOL I will. No HUGE rant, but your analogy is definitely flawed cause you should talk about carriage *rider* who just happen to make carriages for himself. smile

No Misha - nice try, but no cigar.
            Have a look at your first post, where you state that you BUILD your workstations.

So - I assume that you buy the parts, and put them together.
            Just like the carriage makers did  with axles, wheels, timber, canvas, springs, etc. and add their own coachwork.

I'll concede that you probably don't perform their equivalent task of hand beating your own PC cabinets, but I still think it's reasonable to compare you with a carriage builder.

But no doubt these carriage makers also used their carriages themselves, and also became "riders".
            And probably bought cars themselves when they saw the advantages lol

So - let's assume you're a carriage rider. When you see all these horseless carriages zooming past you, I reckon you'd take a look at them lol

Which neatly brings us back to the original point of the discussion.

Now, lets go and have a beer. smile

2. Mark Knowles profile image59
        Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I spent years gutting and troubleshooting the damn things too. Then one day I decided to buy one I wouldn't need to take apart every five minutes. I have only ever once had to take my macbook to pieces.

Now I spend my time doing keyword research, networking and promoting my work instead of taking computers to bits big_smile

1. vietnamese profile image66
          vietnameseposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I did the same thing.... No more messing with the computer. It's cheaper to buy than playing with all the parts.... I don't even have enough time to be on HP to begin with.

5. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 15 years ago

Mark,
    r u so rigid? No body knows what technological change will come tomorrow.

misha,
    It always depend on your requirements and ur technical skill. I know a very high grade author,
    (Published more than 35000 pages in print medea) who still uses his very ...old... PC 386.
    Jyoti Kothari

1. Misha profile image63

Thank you, I am aware of this. Thanks for the praise, and I'm not sure why you decided I am using 386 currently.

2. Eric Graudins profile image60

And for those purposes a 386 (or even a 286)  is entirely adequate.

But how does your author friend cope with having multiple browsers open on social networking sites, while looking at streaming video, editing photographs, and all the things that the majority of people do on the internet these days?

I'm guessing that his old 386 would not do very well.
      Or if he does all this effectively with a 386, perhaps you could publish a hub that tells the rest of us idiots with overpowered computers  how to do it.

3. Misha profile image63

LOL I guess I misread this. It obviously does not refer to me big_smile

6. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Or, better, red wine smile

I'll open a lovely bottle of Tasmanian Merlot tonight in your honour.
      We make some of the best wines in the world here :-)

1. Misha profile image63

Thank you! smile
        I actually never tried Tasmanian ones, but Australian yellow tail are in the list of my favorites smile

7. oryzana profile image61
    oryzanaposted 15 years ago

upgrading or replacing? I think buying a new pc or laptop is easier. smile

8. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

LOL Mark, I was doing that for a living, not for myself big_smile
    I got paid for doing that smile

9. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 15 years ago

The wine was lovely.

Sorry that you haven't received a sensible answer to your question about a PC upgrade.

But on second thoughts you did.

Get a Mac lol

1. Mark Knowles profile image59

What he said smile

I would rather eat sh** than buy a PC ever again.

10. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

I hear you guys smile

I am too conservative/lazy to make this switch, though tongue

I was actually hoping people wouldn't try to push their religion on me wink

If anybody can advice still on a good high-end workstation motherboard, I am all ears smile

11. drummer boy profile image60
    drummer boyposted 15 years ago

Hi Misha
    I have a friend that would like to join hubpages, can you tell me how I can send her a link that would also give me credit for her signing up?  I read somewhere where you can do this, but forgot where to find my link.  Thanks

12. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Can she advise on the motherboard? wink

It's here: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/5589

1. drummer boy profile image60
      drummer boyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

thanks, not sure if she knows much about mother boards though, If I hear of anything that will help you, I will definitely pass it on to you.

13. WeddingConsultant profile image66
    WeddingConsultantposted 15 years ago

Misha- here's my 2 cents worth.

If you're looking for a motherboard that won't have you upgrading all the time, get one with dual PCI-E slots so you can host two graphics cards.

Of course you want your FSB (front-side bus) to be lightning fast and a motherboard that supports latest DDR ram, but as far as graphics, the PCI-Express slot is the latest and having TWO of them on a motherboard is pretty new as well.

Wish I could advise on a model number for you, but I haven't been in the market for a couple years.  I'm running an ASUS- they make great motherboards...just don't go with the cheap imitation/knock off of an ASUS board.

And as far as processors, I'm an AMD kinda guy, although recently Pentium came out with some technology that AMD has yet to catch up on.  What that is, I cannot remember, but if I were to buy a computer tomorrow I'd go AMD- they've got competitive prices and they've got just as much experience as their competitor, Pentium (a much larger-sized company).

Ram- it depends on your OS (operating system).  DDR 4 is the latest (I believe), but Windows Vista is the only OS that recognizes it.  SO, if you're like me and you hate Vista and are going XP, then buy DDR 3 as that is the best stuff recognized by XP.

Um....I'm sure there's more, but that's what I can think of off the top of my head.

14. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Thanks Pete smile

You are the first who does not try to convert me into your religion big_smile

Thanks for the two PCIe slots idea! I currently am fine with two 19" monitors running from one card, but I believe they pretty much max out its capacity. If I want to upgrade to bigger monitors down the road, using two video cards may be the only solution.

Overall I am an Intel guy, though, so I am thinking about dual quad-core Xeons, and there is a nice ASUS board for them - but it kinda gets mixed reviews, so I am still researching my options smile

15. WeddingConsultant profile image66

Oh I didn't know you did the dual monitors thing.  Yeah dual PCI-E cards will run two monitors with ease (if you get decent video cards), but gosh you could even run 4 monitors if you really wanted to!

Yeah I don't bash Intel as they do make great processors.  I just stay away from them (for the most part) simply because of their cost vs. quality ratio in the past.  Great product, but costs tend to be higher.

Like your two quad core Xeons- those will run you a pretty penny.  But like you said, that won't have you hurting in a few years for a newer computer...that will stay current for some time.

1. Misha profile image63

Actually they probably won't. Yeah, sure I can pick E5472 for thousand bucks each, but I can start with, say, one E5410 wich will be just in the area of $300 and with its 1600MHz FSB and quad core still pretty good for today - and will have a good potential for upgrade when I have spare money smile

16. Mark Knowles profile image59

Misha-

Suck it up :

Two 2.8 GHz Quad-core Intel Xeon processors, ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT Graphics which will easily run two 30" monitors -$2700

The Intel architecture will even run * spits* windows big_smile

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/s … co=MTE3MDQ

It even comes put together lol

17. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

LOL Mark, as a genuine zealot you keep ignoring my question and shoving down my throat your solution to non-existent problem. Try again. big_smile

I don't need a new computer. I am pretty satisfied with everything I have but motherboard/processors/memory bundle and only need an idea/review on what motherboard to use.

I always was joking that Mac is a religion, but I never before saw such striking similarities with Christianity big_smile

18. Mark Knowles profile image59

Misha, if you just trust and believe, all your wishes will come true and your motherboard problems will vanish like a bad dream.

Macs are THE WAY, THE TRUTH and THE LIGHT.

Amen.

1. profile image0
      RFoxposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Amen! big_smile

19. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

LOL!

20. profile image0
    RFoxposted 15 years ago

Yes, I am a born again Mac believer too. (Yet another thing I am agreeing with Mark on. Lol)

Once you go Mac, you never go back. Lol.wink

I am sick today and hating feeling sick sad, this thread is making me chuckle......Thanks!

21. Mark Knowles profile image59

Sorry you are feeling unwell.

Glad we could brighten your day big_smile

Misha will eventually see the LIGHT lol

22. WeddingConsultant profile image66

hahaha you guys make me laugh

23. WeddingConsultant profile image66

oh and I don't believe in Vista or Macs so what does that make me?

1. Mark Knowles profile image59

Intelligent? There is no evidence to support the existence of either of them. Who in their right mind believes in something that there is no evidence for?  big_smile

1. WeddingConsultant profile image66
        WeddingConsultantposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Well, mind you, I firmly believe in the existence of XP and although evidence for XP is seemingly imperfect, I assure you, it does exist!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)