caring for an alzheimers parent

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)
  1. profile image52
    ladybug-850posted 14 years ago

Mother was diagnosed with alzheimers a little over one year ago.  She is 80 years old.
      My brothers and sister along with myself noticed on our long distance phone calls that she was confused and unable to remember our phone numbers yet alone who she was talking to.
      Our father called me and asked if i would consider taking mom because he was unable to give the attention and care she needed. My husband and i decided along with my family that i was the one best suited to take care of her.  I do not work and all of our children have moved out, so i was the one.   
      My husband and i drove from Florida to Massachusetts in early September and lost the air conditioner in our car in 90 plus degree weather.  Three days later we were seeing my parents for the first time in eight years.  Wow, i was shocked at the distance look in her eyes ,and not realizing it was me.  My mother only remembers me from the day i picked her up, not birth, not early childhood, not graduating High School, not getting married, not having her grand children.  My mom, in her mind did not know me...that day i picked her up we met.

2. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Needless to say, it's always of heart-wrenching to hear that someone is watching a family member with this.  My friend's mother had it; and no doubt about it, it's awful and it's super, super, difficult to deal with.  I hope you find people who know just what you're going through as support.  Someone has probably already mentioned this (and maybe you just already know it anyway), but sometimes it can be a little helpful to make sure there are things like calendars, clocks, and other things (even if you have to talk about them to her) that can help someone feel a little more "grounded" in day-to-day life when some of the more "grounding" aspects of memory (and other things associated with the situation) can erode at that sense of "grounding".

3. ggirlz profile image59
    ggirlzposted 14 years ago

My mother was just diagnosed with Alzheimers too, though she is not showing many of the signs yet.  She has always been forgetful, just a little bit more now (forgetting keys, her purse, etc)

I have discovered a great new website to help me learn more about Alzheimers and other issues in elder care.  It's called icarevillage.com and their tagline is Everything Eldercare.

I created a hub for them at
    http://hubpages.com/hub/caring_for_alzh … d_dementia

But you can see the site directly at http://www.icarevillage.com and see many videos by experts in the health field.

4. h.a.borcich profile image61
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

My heart goes out to you. It is a tough situation. Build a support network - you must be healthy and take care of yourself to be able to care for her. Holly

5. SimeyC profile image87
    SimeyCposted 14 years ago

My wife's father went through this, and my wife's mother had senility - it was very difficult to see them slip away from us - almost like a death.

My father-in-law thought he was a lot younger and went back to his days of working in a stock broker - he used to talk to me as if he was my mentor - rather than correct him, I just nodded and agreed.

One thing we noticed was that he was happy - even though he wasn't in the present - he was reliving a past memory (the long term memory doesn't suffer as much as the short term intially).

We also realize that it was the care giver who was hit hardest - while my father-in-law was sometimes confused he didn't really understand what was happening so it wasn't so bad on him...it was the people around him that were the ones who saw the change and felt the pain.

My advice is to find a support group - you'd be amazed how many people are going through the same and just being able to talk about to someone who understands the pain really helps.

Also take time for yourself - make sure you are healthy and happy...it may be a really difficult decision but there may be a time where it would be better to find a 'nursing home' for your mother - especially if you find yourself becoming ill....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)