Do Mac freeze like Windows?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (29 posts)
  1. dentist83 profile image61
    dentist83posted 14 years ago

Ok.   I buy the mac because people told me the did not freeze like windows, less concern about virus, etc.  I buy a mac.  I like it pretty much, but few times the SAFARI program had stop responding.  However is not an everyday issue.  Is that normal for mac or is just that i have the bad luck of getting one with defects.

1. ediggity profile image61
      ediggityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not all sites made by their creators are compatible with Safari.  Download Firefox and you should be ok.

dentist83posted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's safe using firefox in mac?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
          Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Personally I would recommend using Firefox with Mac-- I am no expert, far from it, but I think Firefox works much better.
          I still have Safari installed-- and sometimes use both, but Firefox is my preference-- especially for HubPages.
          And I have only used Mac for years and years and.. years...

(and what does "freeze" mean?  smile)

1. profile image0
            Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have a Mac G3 and a G4. I still have Safari but Firefox is what I use. I never have problems. I hate Windows

2. profile image0
        Duchess OBluntposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree, use Firefox with your Mac.

2. profile image0
      directsaurabhposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm. Every electronic item can freeze at any time. Whenever you buy a electronic hardware always ask for 2-3 years warranty period, if you can. I have read blogs regarding mac earlier related this problem. There are only 8-9% users of mac worldwide (source wiki) and most are windows users. Better read blogs before going for future purchase. About my laptop-every 6 month I need to replace DVD combo of my IBM R51 thinkpad. I have replaced TFT-LCD 2 times in last 4 years and motherboard one time. What can I say you? God bless.

3. endeliz profile image41
      endelizposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you must be running xp or vista ..the new windows 7 DOES NOT HAS NOT IN OVER 8 MONTHS OF USING IT EVER FROZE ! check out my page for pre-views of the software and trial download Yes we are all saying WOW !

http://ca354310.qvvo.com

4. Andrew.C.Lam profile image61
      Andrew.C.Lamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well every operating system freezes from time to time, Mac is no exception. The Safari browser is problematic on both PC and Mac due to its surprising hacker-friendly built(Easiest to hack every year on Pawn2Own contests). With that said, MacOS overall still freezes less often compare to WindowsOS because of one simple fact. WindowsOS has to be compatiable with virtually everything while MacOS just has to be compatiable with legacy software/hardware. (MacOS is not un-freeze-able, people! Get evidence yourself on YouTube)

So to answer your question, the one thing I should have done without that bunch of stuff, It is normal for Mac to freeze.

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Junk food is always like that lol

1. profile image0
      ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Misha, wink

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They all are so disgustingly serious, Charlie wink

3. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

Personally, I am not a Mac person at all. Use Firefox with your Mac. Im sure of it. Yes its safe. Macs are safe for everything virtually. There are a few viruses they can get but they are a few.

~thranax~

4. wyanjen profile image70
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

Hello Dentist83
    Your Mac is not defective. Without details, it sounds like a performance issue. Take note of what you are doing when Safari hangs up on you. Are you visiting the same site each time it happens, for instance. Once you find a pattern, you can search for help. I often solve problems simply by putting the error code in Google.
    Macs do not "freeze" like Windows does because of what is called protected memory. As you launch multiple applications, the Mac divides its resources. If one application crashes, the other active applications continue to run free. They operate independently.
    I use several Macs at home and at my job. I scan for viruses from time to time. There will be a day when hackers set their sights on OS X, we won't be virus free forever. The most recent Mac virus I have personally seen was called the Hong Kong Worm. That was in 1997.
    Welcome to the Mac world :-)
    PS I have Firefox installed on two of my Macs, but I am a Safari girl. I've not had problems with it. Try them both & use your favorite!

dentist83posted 14 years agoin reply to this

How you scan for viruses? do you buy an antivirus? or may be I have an application in my mac already?

1. Daniel Carter profile image62
        Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Safari works like a new vacuum on Macs. (It totally sucks.) Firefox is probably best. No troubles with it at all. Another one is camino, but I haven't done much with that one yet to know if it's stable.

2. ediggity profile image61

Don't scan for viruses.  The anti virus software for a mac will do more harm than good.  The simple way to keep your mac going strong is create a user account, and use that for day to day operation.  That way the admin account has a seperate password.  Next, make sure your firewall is on, and use internet behind a router.  Finally, when you download something, make sure you know what it is and don't type in your password if you don't.  The virus situation on macs has been debated Ad nauseum, but if you follow the steps above you should be ok.  Read up here to get familiar with all things MAC.  Use the search function.  Just about any question you can think of has been asked before.

http://forums.macosxhints.com/

1. wyanjen profile image70
          wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yikes! Why bad to scan for viruses? I haven't heard this before. Why would Apple distribute a scanner if it's not good for the OS?

Who said anything about apple distributing a scanner?  Like I said the virus/no virus Mac thing is a never ending argument.  If you want insight on CLAMX AV or any other anti virus software for MAC do some research on that forum link and draw your own conclusions.  The information provided there is from some really solid experienced users.  My conclusion is that the actual anti virus software for the MAC causes more problems than it's worth.  However, some people may do work that requires an anti virus software program on their computer, so they have no choice.

1. wyanjen profile image70
              wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I said it - let me rephrase it-
              Why would they provide the link
              I'm in a high risk environment. I download from several FTP servers and I receive dozens of files a day through Mail.  I'm not overly concerned but I do periodically scan.  This is the first time I've heard of this issue...

I'm sorry, I still don't follow you.  Are you saying why would apple provide a link?  If that is what you are asking.  I can say I don't know.  However, I would go out on a limb and say probably because they pay Apple to advertise their software.  Additionally, on the downloads page of the apple website there is plenty of software there that Apple doesn't necessarily endorse.  All I am saying is the MAC was originally designed to be fine without it, and to do a little research on the forum with experienced MAC users.

5. wyanjen profile image70
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

I use ClamXav for virus scanning. Download from Apple.com's Downloads page. It is freeware.

Firefox people are firm believers! Maybe I'll start to dabble with it myself.

What do you guys think about Snow Leopard? I haven't upgraded yet...

6. wavegirl22 profile image48
    wavegirl22posted 14 years ago

like anything a Mac can get "looped" . . the best thing to get out of the little ball spinning when and if a program does not respond (or seems to be going no where) is to do what is called "Force Quit" . .get to your desktop and go up to the apple icon in the left corner on the top bar  .. about the 8th choice when you pull it down will be the "Force Quit" . .when the new window opens you will see all the programs that are open. . chances are the program you are having the issue with will say in red "Not Responding". .. ask it to quit . . and then you can reopen the program . . .usually this will take care of the issue. It is kinda like what windows does with "Control, Alt, Delete"

7. BritFun profile image60
    BritFunposted 14 years ago

Firefox is Ok - not perfect, but I normally use it.

I'm really looking forward to a Mac version of Google Chrome - that looks awesome.  As a switcher from PCs, I do like the Mac - but it's SO frustrating that it can take months or years before apps like Chrome make it to the Mac.

Snow Leopard?  It's not a huge change to be honest (well it IS a huge change, but mainly behind the scenes) - it's an enabling technology which will make apps written to take advantage of its capabilities a lot more powerful.  In the meantime, I like the UI tweaks - and it was quite an inexpensive upgrade.

1. profile image57
      jlspartzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You can download it.  It's still in Beta for Mac, but you can get it.  I run Safari, Firefox, and Opera currently on OSX, but am awaiting the Chrome release version.  I use Chrome always on Windows.

8. awirelessbusiness profile image60
    awirelessbusinessposted 14 years ago

I haven't had issues with Safari running it on Windows from time to time. It is a myth that there are no malwares for the Macs. There are many. And now there are some for iPhone, Blackberries and all kinds of electronic equipment. Same goes for Linux. There are even pretty little new virii for your hardware firmware that is upgradable by reprogramming. Do a search on Mac problems and you'll be surprised. The latest Leopard operating system has some serious issues the manufacturer is working through right now. No, I don't work for Microsoft! LOL

1. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've been using a Mac for about 15 years. I've never had a problem with a virus. If it's a myth my computers think it's real.
      If a browser is crashing it needs to have the latest version
      Make sure your protocols are checked in your browser preferences

9. motricio profile image68
    motricioposted 14 years ago

Hi dentist83
    Regarding to Mac's Safari browser i recommend you to use Firefox, made by hackers all over the world; what could be better than that?
    And for Windows crashes... Any operative system crashes.
    OS is not the problem, it is and always has been a matter of users and missuses. smile

10. macfanboys profile image60
    macfanboysposted 14 years ago

yep, every operating system crashes (if its made by microsoft) i would check to see if your problem only happens on certain sites, or if it continues with firefox.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)