financially stable

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (37 posts)
  1. first million profile image60
    first millionposted 15 years ago

is anyone able save money?

1. Loni L Ice profile image67
      Loni L Iceposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yup, through creative thrift.  We don't go to fast food, we don't go out to eat without major occasion, we garden, can, freeze, and do crafts.  We learned to stop and ask  "Do we really need this?"  If no, the second question is "Do we really want this?" If yes, "Can we get it cheaper?" 

It took a while to learn the whole thought process, but it cut down on impulse spending wonderfully.

In addition, we've found that we don't require cable tv, multiple cars, etc.  I and my husband have hobbies that either don't cost much or actually serve to make us money, like sewing, gardening, and gourmet cooking.  I'm a member of the International Costumer's Guild, so some of my sewing is the really fun and elaborate variety, but I can whip out a pair of summer shorts in about two hours. Our garden provides a year's worth of fruits and vegetables at a time, cutting down on our grocery bill.  As a family of five, we eat wonderfully well for about 240 per month, and that includes non-food items like household cleaners etc. Contrary to popular belief, gourmet cooking is about attention to detail, not exotic ingredients. I can't afford exotic ingredients, but I can afford to spend a bit more time making a puff pastry chicken and mushroom friand.

The biggest point about saving money is to change one's attitude.  I've worked very hard for a few years to change from feeling deprived to proud when I don't get impulse purchases. Instead of "Oh, I can't afford that" it's changed to "I'm taking charge of my own life."  That attitude plus creativity are essential to living a life of reasonable thrift instead of deprivation.

1. thranax profile image72
        thranaxposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Very nice, that must have took some time to work out to get such a good system smile Yeah, I have to say myself i'm not ready to give up luxuries like tv =\ Sigh...all the things do add up rather quickly indeed now I think of it.

Oh well, I have my own look on it, the more things costs and the more wants the more money one must make, making and spending money is limitless-its just more work to make it ^_^

1. Loni L Ice profile image67
          Loni L Iceposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It did take time, and it certainly didn't happen overnight.  However, the big thing for us is "what provides value for the money?"  If TV were valuable to us (like if Babylon 5 were still on the air) then we would pay for it.  Gardening doesn't save us THAT much money, but it's a hobby I like doing. 

While yes, the more things cost and the more wants one has the more money one must make.  My goal wasn't to stop wanting things, it was to quit buying things I didn't really want.  Many people waste a hideous amount of income on impulse buys that don't serve them in the long run.  How many clothes, toys, video games, tools, etc have I bought in my lifetime that I got absolutely no use from?  More than I care to admit.

True

2. leftquark profile image60
      leftquarkposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you just have to pay yourself first.  Even people who make lots of money have a hard time saving the appropriate amount because most people spend what they make.  Have money taken out of your check and sent directly to a ROTH IRA and never charge what you cannot afford.  If you can't afford to save, you can't afford to make interest payments on your credit card either. 

It may not be easy, but it's just something that we have to do.  All of the money people right now pay as interest on their credit cards could be going to their retirement if they just didn't charge for items.

2. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 15 years ago

yes.

3. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 15 years ago

ya.

4. lady luck profile image69
    lady luckposted 15 years ago

no :*(

5. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

I save money, but my lifestyle might be boring to some.  Instead of going out and spending money, I stay home to read, draw, go for walks after work, and hang out on hubpages.

6. Nickel profile image60
    Nickelposted 15 years ago

yes, I find it best to save through my Cafeteria Plan for things that need to be paid for, Christmas, Bill Expenses.

Also, 'keep the change' through Bank of America is a great way to utilize savings, just don't touch it!

I sometimes find it hard to save money when I get an increase in pay. It seems something is always coming up that drains my income. Baby showers, Birthday parties, I believe after my son's 5th birthday I will be back on top.

@Sweetie Pie:

It's not boring, just practical.  I do the same thing and find it very satisfying; who cares what other people think. ha!

7. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image61
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 15 years ago

Yes, this is what Robert suggests in Rich dad poor dad.
    Just u have to change ur habits. People think India a poor or developing nation but Indians save more than 23 percent they earn where as rich Americans' saving rate tends to 0.
    Jyoti Kothari

8. profile image0
    oberbrecklingposted 15 years ago

yeah well if they took all your credit cards away Ill bet all of you who said you were saving money wouldnt be saving anymore so are you really saving money

I don't understand, removing credit cards it the best thing one can do. It's money you must pay to use, and then the money amount has a tax called interest on it. If you overspend with a credit card and can't catch up with the payments it will reach a point you will never catch it. A good rule of being stable is to not have a credit card at all. If you need a credit card, it isn't advised to have one at all, but you should use a pay as you go one.

9. profile image0

If you had to pull out of your poket cash to pay for your high price of gas or pull cash out of your pocket to buy high price food or high price for all that you need pull that cash out of your poket everytime you wont be saving money for long now you get what ever you need when ever you need it because you pay with a credit card awww I pay later and have now

Paying with cash for things you NEED is better then paying with credit cards. Saving money can be that extra you save by not using a credit card.

^ Sorry to say it but your paying for the right to pay later and have now, you know that right?

10. profile image0

well I would like to bring this in a different angle when your a family of 5 or 7 and your pulling out of your pocket anytime you need gas for two cars,food for that size family,anytime the kids scream I want,anytime the school screams i want,all these things that a credit card pays for I even seen people pay for there wendys or Mcdonalds lunch with a credit card 5.00 dollars omg just to run on for a week for a family of 7by the time you get done its 500.00 a week just to make it thats not including monthly bills if we all hadto pay out of the pocket we would see what kinda finacial mess the world is in

Yeah, I know the world is in a mess. But the basic fact is that if you spend that much with a credit card it piles on top of that and how the heck do you pay for the credit card bill if you can't even pay the $500 cash for what you need a week? Delaying it only adds more money to have to pay back. So no amount of work with normal jobs will ever catch that amount if you let it go so high. Now if you pay for the gas food school and stuff with cash you know your not in debt. It means you need to cut back on what you do. Credit cards are the worst thing invented for people, business it is different because they need to have time to sell things to make a profit and to repay the extra fee to use it. I'm not saying people don't live on credit cards, really personally I know, but getting rid of them is the first step to being financially stable. So really, if you think you need to spend $500 a week, go to the bank, get $500 out and use that. Because that $500 if you use it on a credit card and don't pay it back by the end of the month, say you had an 8% interest fee, that would mean you need to pay back $540. Also, don't forget with some cards even if you pay full every time you still need to pay an annual fee. Thats why credit cards are bad, say you spend that $500 a week for a month, thats $2000. Now if you can only pay $500 of that this month then next month you have $1500 left to pay+ an interest fee of $120 to pay. So that 2nd month you must put down $1620.

11. profile image0

you are not gonna let me win this lol allright I see your point and I guess that statement I made before isnt gonna hold water I take it back! I guess I dont have anything too add to this forum except NO IM NOT SAVING ANY MONEY!

Had a fun discussion with ya ober ^_^ just because currently you aren't saving money doesn't mean you can't, i'm sure you will find a way smile

12. VioletSun profile image80
    VioletSunposted 15 years ago

Unfortunately, I never learned to pay myself first, would spend and the more I made, the more I spent, but finally (better late than never) I have learned to save.

13. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 15 years ago

I save money, but it's a lot harder lately.  The cost of all the most basic items is going up so rapidly, it's daunting. I have 20% of my paycheck put in my 401K, and then I have a regular savings account that I build up, then something goes wrong and it gets wiped out, then I build it up again, and so on and so forth. I feel more and more like I'm treading water.

Remember pgrundy, its better to tread then to sink smile Just keep ya head up and you will find a way!

1. profile image0
        pgrundyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Good point! smile

smile

14. profile image53
    raketeer_momposted 15 years ago

I am still about to start.. smile

1. Mark Bennett profile image61
      Mark Bennettposted 15 years agoin reply to this

34% of people have that carved on their tombstones, you know ... smile

So true, so so true smile

If you think about it with a normal job, once you have everything down it isn't hard to save money, its just people would rather spend it. It has little to do with the money at all, its peoples attitudes that must change.

15. profile image55
    Daniel.Brownposted 15 years ago

ya i have save money for future purpose, all would have saving, it's beneficial for our future.

16. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 15 years ago

It never ceases to amaze me how the most useless posts can develop a life of their own.

Take this one.
    It started off as a meaningless question by someone as his first post, to which I gave an equally vacuous reply.

And it's developed into quite a good discussion.

Shame that Mr. "first million" hasn't even  bothered even to check out the results of his lobbed hand grenade, and come back to post again.

Eric G.

I know really smile I hate Hubbers that think they can write 2 articles, leave a post and not check back till next month ya know?

17. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image61

It is true that saving money is easy if u have an attitude towards it. It is really difficult if you have a philosophy "Eat drink and be mary".
    So attitude is everything. If one does not have it , one should learn and practice.

Attitude is everything, and a better example of that is:

Live it up, and drink it down. smile

18. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image61

Yes, I agree.

19. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 15 years ago

smile

20. Reealjrd profile image61
    Reealjrdposted 15 years ago

Hello Friends,

I have read the threads posted here. All the threads are different and good. I have been linked with forex since 5 years. And started trading from2004. But due to some family reasons i had stopped trading and willing to start it again. I mainly trade in currencies and commodities. When i started trading i first used the demo accounts of all the trades and improved my trading skills.

In the mean time i also searched for a suitable forex broker so that i am satisfied with him for trading. I mainly prefer for online trading at home. And that i got from AVAFX. Six months back i searched and i saw that my previous broker has developed a lot with its trading platforms, its deposit, leverage, commissions, fees etc...... Providing some nice news and tips. I developed my trading strategies with this broker.

Thanks

21. Reealjrd profile image61
    Reealjrdposted 15 years ago

One should have a habit to save money. As money earning is to hard then spending. For spending your money you can spend it is few hour but to earn that money it might take yers.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)