The Shack

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (35 posts)
  1. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Has anyone here read The Shack? A friend was telling me about it last night, and it sounds fascinating.

1. profile image53
      Gillian Tynanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I read it last year, poorly written, but engaging. I suppose it meets the need of those eager to hear directly what God has to say.

2. profile image0
      thetruthhurts2009posted 14 years agoin reply to this
      1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL
        I bet that's a parody of another thread; Now that's funny, I don' care who ya are!

3. profile image0

I haven't read it,  but a friend of mine whose opinion I trust says it veers away from what the Bible says, and is very misleading.

1. megs78 profile image61
        megs78posted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Bible is misleading...in my opinion

1. profile image0

How so?

Well, when you look at the 10 commandments, almost all of them are broken in the Bible, and they are broken by men appointed by God as 'blessed'.  The Old Testament is full of discrimination, incest, murder, angels having sex with humans...etc, etc, etc. Have you tried to read the Old Testament?  Most people skip right to the New Testament and start with Psalms with all its poetic verse. 

The Bible is misleading because it is so full of contradictions.  One cant forget that this is a story written by humans.

Having said that, the Bible is also full of amazing stories that inspire and can make you feel happy and full of life.  But we shouldn't take it literally because when that happens, we get a lot of bigotry and war.  Just wait, I'm going to post something funny, but I gotta find it first.

1. profile image0

Where are these contradiction you speak of? Please point out 1 in context historical and biblical.

The 10 commandments are a mirror to show us we all fall short. And need a Saviour, Jesus Christ.

I find it funny that you bring up the fact that the writers(inspired by God) admitted there shortcomings no matter how embarrassing, that's a testimony to it's authenticity. The old Testament shows that God does not tolerate sin, Sin=death. Jesus is Lord the final sacrifice for the sins of men that's why Jews don't even sacrifice, even though they deny Jesus.

I write for misinformed people like yourself who continue to perpetuate this convoluted defamation of God's Word.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rssTt9aavuM

http://hubpages.com/hub/Answers-for-tho … ont-get-it

http://hubpages.com/hub/Can-You-Handle- … uth-of-God

Hey, whoa!  Calm down!  I'm not looking for a fight.  Go find someone else to yell at.

1. profile image0

Whose yelling? You're spreading a falsehood as truth, I'm clearing it up. No worries, I hate no one.

1. profile image0
                    Scott.Lifeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But did you like the book, I think that was the question oh crusader for truth.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60
                Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Avoid ye the false prophet trolls!

4. profile image0
      loriamooreposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Habee,

Yes, I read The Shack last year on the flight home from a mission trip to Kenya.  I had already heard the scuttlebutt about it not being biblically correct, but I knew it was written as fiction and to not take it too literally.

I honestly couldn't put it down once I started reading it.  I was eager to find out how it was going to end.

And, as a Christian, even though it was fiction, it did help me with some understanding of some things --- particularly about how The Trinity works.

Lori

2. gracenotes profile image89
    gracenotesposted 14 years ago

From what I've heard, it's really poorly written.  For that reason, I don't want to waste my time on it.

However, the backstory of the author, and his reasons for writing the book, are interesting.  The author was featured in a recent issue of Guideposts that my mom had on her coffee table when I last visited her.

3. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

Read about half of it; right up to the point that God appears to the protagonist as Aunt Jemimah. 

Very poorly written.

1. blue dog profile image60
      blue dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ditto.

4. megs78 profile image61
    megs78posted 14 years ago

I didn't find it that poorly written myself.  It was a difficult read and hurt the heart immensely, but it was good to read.  It felt good to read it.  It's every parents nightmare, and the way he gets through it is extraordinary.  Sometimes its difficult to follow whats really going on, but as I recall, the Foreword explains the reason for that so I was prepared.  Apparently, he had a hard time putting his thoughts into words at times.

I recommend it.  Read it and see for yourself.  Its short and won't take too up too much of your life if you don't like it.

5. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

i read it and didn't like it. the trinity thing was almost silly, IMO. there were some good parts though but i still didn't get my questions answered about why God permits evil...

1. DogSiDaed profile image59
      DogSiDaedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I could answer that... in four words.

1. DogSiDaed profile image59
        DogSiDaedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In fact to be completely exact, make it six.

6. profile image0
    Scott.Lifeposted 14 years ago

I read it and thought it was entertaining. Of course I wasn't reading it as a literary critic though so I guess my view is skewed. It's an interesting version of an old belief system and a good story in the end. I read it in one sitting and still have it on the shelf.Funny thing is for all those I see on hubpages running it down it still manages to be a best seller go figure.

It's a story, not an explanation of faith and the Bible. The attitude you have going in will effect how you feel about it. Look at it as a short little piece of fiction and you will read it fast.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

McDonald's sells lots of burgers.  Same phenomenon.

7. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I've seen it, I've heard about it, but no never read it smile

8. mistywild profile image61
    mistywildposted 14 years ago

it's amazing, I did a review on it.

1. Haunty profile image74
      Hauntyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Did you do it on hp?

1. mistywild profile image61
        mistywildposted 14 years agoin reply to this

sure did

1. Haunty profile image74
          Hauntyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Grrr... ok. No need to mention the title. Really. I can find it. wink

9. megs78 profile image61
    megs78posted 14 years ago

Read this, its pretty funny and just goes to show why taking the Bible literally could be a big mistake:

Dr. Laura Schlessinger is a US radio personality who dispenses advice to
    people who call in to her radio show.  Recently, she said that, as an
    observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to
    Leviticus 18:22, and cannot be condoned under any circumstance. The 
    following is an open letter to Dr. Laura penned by a US resident, Jim, which 
    was posted on the Internet. It's funny, as well as informative:

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have
    learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as
    many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle,
    for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to
    be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however,
    regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them.

1. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a
    pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev.1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They
    claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus
    21:7.  In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her
    period of menstrual cleanliness (Lev.15:19-24). The problem is, how do I
    tell?  I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female,
    provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine
    claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify?
    Why can't I own Canadians?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath.  Exodus clearly
    states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an
    abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality.  I
    don't agree. Can you settle this?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a
    defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my
    vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around
    their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.19:27. How
    should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me
    unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different
    crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two
    different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse
    and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of
    getting the whole town together to stone them?  (Lev.24:10-16). Couldn't we
    just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people
    who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can
    help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and
    unchanging.

Your devoted fan,
    Jim

1. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hahahahaha!

Its pretty good right?  smile

10. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Wow, I appreciate all the responses to my query. Since it's a short read, I think I'll give it a try.

1. mistywild profile image61
      mistywildposted 14 years agoin reply to this

grab a hanky!! did you read my review?

11. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Come on guys - it's just a book (one that I've read) and as a piece of fiction, it does it's job. It's got a beginning, a middle and an end and worth the read.

Just because it's related to religion doesn't mean this has to descend into a 'Well God said so and so' and 'Ohhhh no he didn't'.

Habee simply asked for an opinion, not a literary review of the contents. A simple 'yes, it's quite good/great/interesting or no it's rubbish/boring/dreadful would have sufficed.

Habee, if you haven't already started on it, do so. You can then decide on whether you'd pass it onto another smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)