If you could live anywhere in the US for a year (or more), where?

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (51 posts)
  1. runner2975 profile image62
    runner2975posted 14 years ago

You could split time between two places based on the season.

Summer:  Northern Minnesota...lakes, nice weather, clean air, can't beat it.

Any other time:  Savannah, Georgia.  Nice beaches, decent weather even the winter.  Good restaurants.  Excellent vibe.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

am glad am here in TX, love it during summer and winter, love to visit New York during summer

2. rhamson profile image71
      rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would and am hoping to get back to Hawaii.  Lived there for eight years before.

2. profile image49
    BadCompanyposted 14 years ago

California !

1. emievil profile image68
      emievilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ditto!

1. profile image49
        BadCompanyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yer buying the wine smile

2. kmackey32 profile image63
        kmackey32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ditto 2.

3. Black Lilly profile image60
    Black Lillyposted 14 years ago

New York, the very centre.

4. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Alaska.

1. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

My brother in law went to Alaska a while back, adn I have acousin wholives there, thats my pic for a visit. But to live...I would like Hawaii, if soemoen else is paying for it.. or Tennesse.

5. Ben Zoltak profile image82
    Ben Zoltakposted 14 years ago

For me, my birthplace, Honolulu Hawaii.  I was born there, my parents and me lived there for just under two years, and in 35 years I haven't been back.

I heard it's nice, and I've always wanted to learn to surf. I bet they have great sushi too.

Ben

6. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

oooo...I'd have to bounce around.

California a little, New York maybe, Nashville, TN (just because it's fun) But, then again, I don't know if I would really want to live anywhere other than Illinois smile

1. h.a.borcich profile image60
      h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Even with all the snow? smile

1. profile image0
        Janettaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oh yeah, I can't do winter without snow!! LOL

1. h.a.borcich profile image60
          h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wish I had your winter enthusiasm smile And enjoy the blizzard today LOL

1. profile image0
            Janettaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

haha Just rain today sad and all week it looks like... no snowmen for me. Guess I'll have to make a very cold mud man lol

2. Rochelle Frank profile image91
          Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Interesting that a lot of people want to be in California, but then I AM in California and don't want to be elsewhere. We had about 5 inches of snow yesterday. This morning is sunny, but about 20c degrees, up from 15c this morning. Unusually cold, but very pretty.

7. h.a.borcich profile image60
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

I like the midwest in summer...which is apparently only July smile
    But I would be in TN for the winters if I had a choice. Holly

8. tony0724 profile image61
    tony0724posted 14 years ago

I am one of the luckiest guys on the planet. I love where I live . San Diego pretty much has it all. I would like to try Manhattan for awhile though,just for the experience.

9. visitmaniac profile image60
    visitmaniacposted 14 years ago

That's an easy one! Hawaii!! God I miss the warm weather already we got snow here and a snowman outside looking in the window lol

1. Himitsu Shugisha profile image73
      Himitsu Shugishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep, no questions about it. Hawaii!!

10. Chloe Comfort profile image60
    Chloe Comfortposted 14 years ago

Already where I'd want to be - New York.

11. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 14 years ago

I was passing by New York, NY 4 years ago or smth. I saw bars on windows and doors in a residential area, I was so surprised thinking : How on earth people could live like that? What kind of place is this? I still don't get it. I still sleep with open doors and windows in my apartment(probably should not do that, just don't tell anybody)at night very often and I live on the first floor, very easy to get in.

12. jimmythejock profile image84
    jimmythejockposted 14 years ago

I have only ever been to florida in the us and it is my dream to move there some day, not for the tourism or mickey mouse but because i simply loved everything about the place.....jimmy

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes, there are many Brits and Europeans living in this area.

I love living in Florida, still undeveloped areas one can go and it's just lovely to smell orange blossoms in Feb, and jasmine during summer, spring, flowers in bloom all year long.

I have lived in upstate NY, and Illinois, Missouri where it is very beautiful, but winters are too long and cold....

summers are spent in my pool or the beach.  cool

13. 2patricias profile image60
    2patriciasposted 14 years ago

Boston for Pat, NYC for Tricia.

14. pddm67 profile image60
    pddm67posted 14 years ago

Salem, MA - my kinda town!!!

1. tksensei profile image60
      tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A very nice place to live.

15. dejajolie profile image59
    dejajolieposted 14 years ago

Europe/Arizona either of the two. I am currently working on living in Fla. (llived there for 4 years) 8 months out the year and NY/NJ 4 months (spring/summer) my realistic goal.

16. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

Malibu

17. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

Well I already lived in Hawaii for a year so maybe FL or Nevada or Arizona..I like it where it's warm. Already lived in Cali most of my life so can't say cali lol

18. manlypoetryman profile image82
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

Mountains!

19. Ben Zoltak profile image82

One more time, HAWAII!!! Would some wealthy soul please buy a bunch of my art so I can go back to the state I was born in! Please!

20. livelonger profile image86
    livelongerposted 14 years ago

I'd say either New York (Manhattan) or Hawaii (the Big Island).

21. runner2975 profile image62
    runner2975posted 14 years ago

It's currently 0 degrees here in Minnesota...I think I'll change my answer to anywhere but here.

1. Ben Zoltak profile image82
      Ben Zoltakposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol, lived there I know what you mean!

22. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

New Orleans.

Been there twice and loved it.

I agree, I was there the year before Katrina hit, the people, food and music/dance there are some of the best in America!!!

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes, I lived there for a year many years ago, loved it.

but I kinda love Fl.... right now, doors and windows are open, 72 degrees. blue sky, sunshine. cool

23. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

I love living on Cape Cod and spending a lot of time in Boston, but I could be enticed to spend a year in either Portland or Seattle.

24. lakeerieartists profile image63
    lakeerieartistsposted 14 years ago

Tucson Arizona

I love Arizona too, never been to Tucson though, what makes it special?

I once saw coyotes when I hiked out in the desert near Scottsdale...

25. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

Las Vegas, where else?

26. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

New York

27. profile image0
    AdviceDoctorposted 14 years ago

I'm happy with my Alabama.

But if I had to move, I'd go to Colorado.

28. AEvans profile image70
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

I would try Vermont I heard it is absolutely breathtaking that year round. You don't hear much about it but the beauty that I have seen depicts serenity and beauty.smile

29. Valerie F profile image61
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

Despite all my travels, there is a whole lot of the US that I have never seen, so I wouldn't spend my year "anywhere in the US" in one place.

30. Ben Zoltak profile image82

I think I would like to have a waterproof Ipod and listen to the theme song for Hawaii 5 0 while learning to surf in Hawaii. That would be heaven for this Midwestern boy.

31. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Hawaii... or Arizona. Somewhere that does not get snow...

32. DonnaCSmith profile image82
    DonnaCSmithposted 14 years ago

I am happy right here in North Carolina. There are lots of places I'd like to visit, but I don't think I want to be away from NC for a whole year.

I'd like to visit Alaska, and I'd like to visit upstate NY and see my cousins again. Its been about 15 years since I've been there.

33. hublim profile image68
    hublimposted 14 years ago

Hawaii for me, it's always warm there.

I'd love to spend some time with friends in South New Jersey too.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)