SoCal's Best Tourist Attractions

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Courtney_CollinsD profile image60
    Courtney_CollinsDposted 15 years ago

In my opinion here in Southern California, the best tourist attraction they have is Knott's. Could be because its somewhat of a hidden gem here. I know a lot of people would say disneyland, so what's everyone else's opinion that has been to SoCal or plans on visiting?

1. leftquark profile image60
      leftquarkposted 15 years agoin reply to this

My favorite places are the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Wild Animal Park.  You can easily spend the whole day at the Zoo.  Both places are less crowded and the food is much better than Disneyland (yuk!).

2. gamergirl profile image83
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

Man I miss my yearly trips to Knott's with my family.  I moved away from San Diego when I was just 12 years old, and honestly I'm kind of surprised the place is still around!

3. Courtney_CollinsD profile image60

It's actually doing pretty good now adays with all the new rides being put in, that and Haunt is pretty much keeping the park on its feet just by running in October. tongue

4. Courtney_CollinsD profile image60

Yea the San Diego Zoo is nice. Sadly its been over two years since I was last there.

D-Land, I feel, is just not worth it really. You get there, get crappy customer service and crappy everything else and on top of it all everything is too damn overpriced. Plus the lines... even with a fast pass you're waiting at least an hour or two depending on the rides popularity.

1. thranax profile image73
      thranaxposted 15 years agoin reply to this

San Diego Zoo is a nice place, and D-Land sounds horrible, o the cartoon horror!

1. profile image0
        Pam Poundsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Catalina Island is the best!  23 miles off the coast of Los Angeles.  Catalina Express runs boats back and forth pretty much all day from several points on the mainland.  It's another world over there - you'll love it! 

<---- My profile pic is Avalon Bay, Catalina

1. thranax profile image73
          thranaxposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Interesting smile

2. leftquark profile image60
          leftquarkposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Catalina.  It's a great place to visit.  I would go more often except that the Express is a little pricey, but then that helps keep the number of people down and gives Avalon it's island charm.

5. Courtney_CollinsD profile image60

Queen Mary is another good one. Haven't been there but I'd loved to see it.

1. profile image0
      Pam Poundsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I've been there.  Went to see a special exhibit on artifacts recovered from the Titanic.  Interesting, but I wouldn't make a special trip just to tour the ship.  Knott's is better, and Catalina is WAY better.....but then, you know I'm a little prejudiced toward Catalina.  smile

6. Lady Luthi profile image59
    Lady Luthiposted 15 years ago

I love Olvera Street in Los Angeles right near Union Station. The culture is so rich and the people there are just wonderful. There is so much history on Olvera Street. Great place.

7. Nicki B profile image59
    Nicki Bposted 15 years ago

I love Olvera Street.... well, mostly I love the food on Olvera Street! smile

I actually have written a couple pieces, and am still working on an entire series of guides to "The Real O.C." (you can see them on nickib.tumblr.com)...

But, hands down, I love Knott's. It has every element one could need for a great day out (fun rides, great atmosphere, interesting attractions/shows, good foods - especially funnel cakes and chicken dinners).

1. Courtney_CollinsD profile image60
      Courtney_CollinsDposted 15 years agoin reply to this

God the funnel cakes... thats one reason I visit Knott's whenever I can... that and the chili cheese fries, then again my husband is working there again and all it takes is two bucks for those.

8. profile image0
    Pam Poundsposted 15 years ago

Everyone's comments are right on!  Olvera Street and Knott's are great.  Also, about three hours north of LA is Solvang, which is a neat place if you like Danish-type things.  Pink's for hot dogs in LA is for celebrity watchers!  The Block in Orange.  Little Tokyo and Chinatown in downtown LA.  Annual Sawdust Festival in Laguna Beach.  Old Town San Diego...There are SO many places!

9. profile image0
    Popular Wealthposted 15 years ago

Knotts is doing well however the wax museum next door folded.

While you're in Buena Vista you HAVE TO check out both the "Medieval Times Dinner and Tournament" - and - "The Pirate Adventure Dinner".

I've been to both and they are extremely entertaining for the whole family.

Long Beach also has a great attraction, the Titanic sister ship the Queen Mary. They host late night spooky tours and fun events all the time. There is also a Russian Submarine parked right next to it that you can go inside of.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)