Wanna see my pityfull adsense earnings :)

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (36 posts)
  1. thecounterpunch profile image60
    thecounterpunchposted 16 years ago

http://hubpages.com/u/130876_f520.jpg

The chart above (made easily with Excel: check the tools menu / analysis) gives the distribution of daily earnings. Most of days daily earnings is about 0.45.

As you can see, it doesn't follow the famous Normal Law in probability ... which is normal : normal law is not obligatory in the real world smile

2. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 16 years ago

Don't quit your day job. smile

thecounterpunchposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Just not yet ! But one day as I envision myself to become the greatest webmarketer of the World (just don't ask me when) smile

3. Paraglider profile image89
    Paragliderposted 16 years ago

Hey - be positive - it has never gone negative yet - Google won't be billing you!

- D

For people who are newcomer, don't worry some people make very good money unlike me big_smile
      I'm an author, not a writer: I don't write to entertain, should I ? No, that's not my purpose on my hub.

4. Paraglider profile image89
    Paragliderposted 16 years ago

ni moi non plus

I get paid for engineering. When that dries up, maybe I'll write for a pension. Or maybe I'll just sleep on my homebrew . . .

5. Marisa Wright profile image84
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 years ago

Counterpunch

I think I'm with you.  I started writing on the internet to while away some otherwise unproductive time in an enjoyable fashion, then got sucked in by the prospect of earnings.  I thought online writing might form part of my future career plan, which I see as a mixture of various income streams. 

I started out at Helium (10 cents per article per month), had a stopover at Thisisbyus (even less), and washed up at HubPages in expectations that earnings would be better.  It's early days and I know there are some Hubbers who are earning good money - but already, I'm beginning to think I won't be one of them.

To earn money online, you must be willing to write on hot topics or niche topics, and to write your articles with one eye on SEO.  I want to write on topics that interest me, and I want to write naturally, rather than torturing my prose to please a search engine.  I suppose it is an almighty cheek, expecting to earn money for something I enjoy, rather than being willing to work for it! 

The good thing is that on HubPages, I enjoy making the Hubs for their own sake.  The extra dimension of adding videos and pictures and being able to design the layout, even in a limited way, really attracts me.

I'm pretty sure you will do great with time because your subjects can interest a lot of people and you do it wholeheartly.

6. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 16 years ago

Yes got to say  I am currently looking a stunning $1.03 from hub pages adsense since mid-Oct! My impression is that no one has ever made a sale from Amazon or Ebay? I'm hoping by writing Flagship hubs I will get better revenue long term (and to be fair over 90% of my adsense revenue to date is from flagship hubs!)
    Its so frustrating - the longer I stay out of work in the real world the less  I want to go back!  I really want to make an online business make a living ($500pw would be fantastic) but I am beginning to think its not possible unless you started about 7 years ago and got in at the beginning

1. Paraglider profile image89
      Paragliderposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Over 90% of $1.03? That's nearly a dollar wink

But look on the bright side - these days, nobody wants dollars anyway.

2. Stacie Naczelnik profile image67
      Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I haven't made anything from Ebay, but I have from Amazon.  It took awhile, but it is steadily (slowly) increasing.  Maddie Ruud and jimmythejock have both posted that they get sales too.  I think it is a combination of time and making sure you have appropriate items offered on your hubs.  (For example, someone bought a crockpot on one of my hubs with a crockpot recipe.)

Also, it has taken awhile for my adsense to build up, but it has also steadily increased.  I went from $.03--$.40 a day if I was lucky to multiple dollars a day now.

3. thecounterpunch profile image60

$500pw would be fantastic ? Well I live in France, the Dollar is now 50% of Euro value, this would mean 250 euros for me smile. A little appartment in Paris is about 1000 euros / month and in France you cannot have your own job without paying huge upfront cost to gov even if you don't make a dime. And when you make some dime the tax are huge. That's why entrepreneurs in France are mostly either people who can't make a real living forced to create their own job because of unemployment or sons of rich people who have the money to pay the right to do business.

France hates entrepreneurs though the term has been invented by them. That's why I'm a salaried today. If I was an entrepreneur I would have to earn about 8000 euros per month to pay all the taxes and get the equivalent of my net salary. This would mean 16000 equivalent dollars well nothing impossible of course but ... smile

7. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 16 years ago

I make both Amazon and eBay sales via my Hubs.  In fact, last month was the best month so far for my Hubs.

The best advice I can give for making a successful Hub is you have to write about things you know that other people want to know about too.

Relache I admire you and yes I write on subjects I know but it is clear that the subjects I tackle are a bit too serious for most of the hubpagers population. Still I'm happy with having some fans and that some people stumbleon my hubs spontaneously as I don't even know how to do that correctly without being accused of self-promotion.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
        Marisa Wrightposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Counterpunch, on the internet there's such a thing as having too much integrity!

Sites like Digg and Stumbleupon have terms and conditions which specifically prohibit self-promotion.  So strictly speaking, you're not allowed to Digg or Stumble your own work.

In practice, read any article or course about writing online, and they'll tell you to Digg/Stumble your own stuff. The secret is to hide your own material amongst a large number of Diggs/Stumbles for other sites, so they don't catch you. 

Personally, I have a problem with sites like Helium encouraging people to Digg their own articles.  I'm sure they'd be outraged if someone was encouraging people to break Helium's rules, even if it was in a small way.  After all, there are thousands - if not millions - of people writing online.  If they each Digg or Stumble only a handful of their own material, think how large that number would be.

So I, like you, haven't quite been able to bring myself to do it.

1. Lissie profile image75
          Lissieposted 16 years agoin reply to this

A new site has launched to get around this issue bloggingzoom.com - they encourage you to submit your own work - but they wont accept hubpages - just blogs :-( If anyone finds it a useful site please zoom some of my submissions - I'm lissie there too

8. MrMarmalade profile image70
    MrMarmaladeposted 16 years ago

no I gleaned enough...
    you have put me off making the money. I will stick to the fun of it.
    in the meantime look for another to punch up big.
    I have have very large selections of careers.
    Main thing is don't give up the hope.

9. AspireNow profile image39
    AspireNowposted 16 years ago

Thanks for sharing! I think the idea of posting more Amazon ads, Ebay ads, and also other links back into other products on my site makes more sense than worrying about whatever revenue HubPages is paying me. The reason I started posting to HubPages was simply because I noticed that on some occasions it helped boost my blog articles rank in Google. That was my sole objective. Re: monetizing through HubPages, it might be possible, but I'm not counting on it. I think people here at HubPages often forget that articles posted here are MORE for HubPages benefit than the Hubbers. But, for some Hubbers, it is an opportunity to get their voice out, and a great way to start.

If you're looking to make more serious bank, you might look into blogging on your own blog, and on others' blogs. I'm launching a course to help beginners get started at: <snip> No promotional links</snip>(still working out the payment links, so bear with me...). Thanks and Happy Hubbing! - Scott

Scott,

Thanks but no thanks!  I've tried the blogging thing.  Once again, you need to be willing to write about a "hot" or "niche" topic. If you're lucky enough to be interested in such a topic, you're lucky.  If not, it's a chore.  Then you have to find new material to post, day after day or at least week after week.  Even if you do a good job, the ONLY person promoting your blog is you. 

I have yet to come across anyone making serious money from a blog - the exception are people who blog about making money from blogging!!!!  The only people I know making money they can live on, have websites.  They may have a blog as a way of improving traffic to their website, but it's the website that does the hard yards.

2. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I am wondering what you mean by "serious bank?"
      And at $250 for the course, it will only take thecounterpunch about 18 months to pay for it. big_smile
      I'm thinking the only people making serious bank are the guys selling a course on how to make money blogging smile

10. MM Del Rosario profile image84
    MM Del Rosarioposted 16 years ago

I started blogging in early 2006 but I don't know anything about blog promotion , so I did not go very far, so for the whole year my adsense did not even pass $10.00 but when I joined Hubpages, at least there is something coming everyday.

I still haven't recieved any pay yet but I hope in the next few months.   Gee it is hard to make money online. I think I have to apply to make Flagships Hubs.

11. SunSeven profile image62
    SunSevenposted 16 years ago

Don't feel disheartened. Stay on course. Money will come your way. Remember, there are no shortcuts to riches, unless you are planning a crime!
    Best Regards  smile

12. Lowrychris profile image59
    Lowrychrisposted 16 years ago

I think writing with an eye to making money on hubpages may not be the right thing to do.  Sure it would be great to make a living just posting articles here and there, but that's leaving too much to chance.  Write what you know, write what you like, be fun, funny and interesting, and guess what, people will read you.

If you happen to write about a hot topic, then people from outside of hubpages may find you via a search engine, and in reading your work, end up offering you work.  That's what happened to me.  Sure, just once so far, but I made more for one weeks worth of work than two or three months of ad sense.

I think the people who make the most money via this site, or even their own post consistantly, creatively and diligently.  I would also bet they didn't post a few times and expect to make their annual income in only one month.

Is there money to be made here?  Sure there is.

The question isn't how much, but how will you?

If you write articles about topics you like, and they are good, entertaining pieces of work, people will read you.  Now take what you've written and add to it.  Write more and more on your topic, until everyone considers you an expert.  Don't write to make money, at least not here, not yet.  Just be fun and be spectacular, and repeat.  The money will come soon enough.

The worst thing you can do is write without a plan.  Why are you writing here?  Who are you writing for?  Once you figure that out, then you can make a plan to make money here.

13. profile image0
    Marye Audetposted 16 years ago

I blog for  a couple of networks as well as writing here, and  havign my own blogs. Blogging for a network can be very lucrative if it is the right network. About.com for example pays upwards of 700.00 a month plus ad revenue percents.  Surprisingly even if you base on a network blog is only 100-200 a month the ad revenues add up. If you do more than one blog, as most of the people i know do you can easily make enough to live on.
    But it is a job and a full time job at that. It takes time ot build your readers into friends that not only return but tell others about you. It takes tme to check out other blogs and leave comments. It takes time to research you subject, take quality images, and hone your skills. It takes me approximately 4-6 hours a day to blog.
    Most of my blogs are food related. My images are very, very good because I constantly strive to be more creative in my photography. I do alot of online competitions, round-ups, and that type of thing. One of my posts ended up on page one of Digg for several days and that built my blog up even more.
    People want to feel that they know you. They want to read your personality in your words and build up relationship and trust. I notice that there is a big difference between successful writers and successful bloggers that not all people can bridge one to another.

1. profile image0
      Terri Paajanenposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I wrote for About for many years, and they are great, though it's tough job getting hired. Yes, they pay great and you can make a good living from them alone. But they don't pay ad revenue percentages. Part of your rate per page view is determined by your ad successes, but that's about it. Not quite the same thing. Just wanted to clarify. And flaunt my own ex-About status while I was at it.

smile

14. profile image0
    Marye Audetposted 16 years ago

I think that has changed Terri, I prepped for them last month and it did include ad percentages. I didn't get the job (which is probably a good thing) ...

15. len7288 profile image57
    len7288posted 16 years ago

I just wrote an article about this topic now, at first i want to place it here, but its already too long so I decided to just write an article about it. Below it the link... i hope you can check it
    http://hubpages.com/hub/How-I-Made-Money-On-Hubpages

16. thecounterpunch profile image60
    thecounterpunchposted 16 years ago

Thanks everybody for all your interesting testimonies. Don't worry for me I have never intended to make money online (as I have a regular good job already) - I was just curious to see how it was to try to do it: well it's hard if you don't have the necessary talent / time to do so smile . I use hubpages more as a reminder of stuffs for myself than really writing to get an audience.

I'm very pleased for those who can do much better than me as they deserve to with genuine and mindfull articles though it's not often in my scope of interest. I regret that there are not so many people getting interested to write in the same field as me. I don't want to write on political blogs as people are often completely crazy about trying to catalog and flame you so I prefer hubpages.

And I find hubpages unique as the creators are always around and interacting with their users, I've never seen that anywhere else.

17. profile image49
    bjthelabmonkeyposted 16 years ago

I have several blogs on the net all about things I'm interested in and I make decent money from them.  It's all about how you promote you blog and if you have other streams of revenue on you blog. I always have some type of banner or ad linking to different affiliate banners that relate to the subject I'm writing about.

It's hard work and the lack of sleep can get old since right now it's 4:00AM, but it's worth it.  Keep working hard and smart.  Think about how much each page can make you and set a minimum for what you want that page to earn.  You may want to have a blog that just has the RSS feeds from your other blogs and Hub pages listed to increase interest in what you are writing about.

18. William F. Torpey profile image69
    William F. Torpeyposted 16 years ago

This is a very interesting forum topic. I did not join hubpages to make money (a good thing, too.) I joined because I have something to say, and I'd like as many people as possible to read my scribblings because I feel strongly about them. But I'm not computer saavy, so the only ones who read my hubs are other hubbers and a few friends. I signed up with stumbleupon and Digg, but I know less about them than I do about hubpages. I, too, have no knowledge about how to increase the readership of my hubs when you are not allowed to tell anyone that your hubs exist (that's self-promotion.) Nevertheless, I appreciate the opportunity hubpages provides to put my opinions "out there," and the other hubbers I've made contact with are fantastic. Who cares about money anyway!

I do ... but not in the usual sense :
      http://hubpages.com/hub/Federal_Reserve_Act
      It's not about making money online, it's about how the money would be more fairly distributed if the FED system wasn't a private banking cartel smile

19. Ralph Deeds profile image65
    Ralph Deedsposted 16 years ago

"Not allowed to tell anyone that your hubs exist?" I'm not aware of any such restriction. I email mine to people who I think might be interested in them, and I link them to other websites such as Wikipedia. Some wikipedia entries delete my links but quite a few have stuck, and they produce significant traffic.

20. Rudra profile image67
    Rudraposted 16 years ago

It is really a uphill struggle but but of money will flow in eventually.

21. acopson profile image55
    acopsonposted 16 years ago

I only started using hubpages a few weeks ago, but have been blogging for about 4 months now and make only $5 a week, but that's cool, it's five dollars i never had before and it will increase over time as search engines rank my blogs and traffic increases.

I think to earn online you just need to stick in there, I use a few other blogging services and make $15-20 a month from just 10 blogs on one of them, but that's how the cookie crumbles, some people make hundreds and even thousands from one, but they are the most experienced veterans, I believe if we are patient our blogs will increase our wealth eventually, it's a bit of a waiting game i suppose.

My adsense account is only $1.43 after 4 months, but hopefully hubpages will improve that, I would be happy with $50 a week, that would pay a bill or two.

If you need to increase your earnings with your blogs quicker then maybe you should think about putting a third of what you make back into advertising them to increase readership and traffic and if are into earning online then look into other revenues of income online other than blogs and websites.

I make $100 dollars a month from all my online activity and this is a real help financially, my first month i struggled to make $5, so by month 12 I should be making a half decent amount hopefully.

Stay with it, most people that are making big bucks have been doing it for years.

...yes but have you ever met any of them?  I've spent the last year researching online earning opportunities.  You'll find my conclusions on a couple of my Hubs! 

Yes, there are people making big money blogging, but funnily enough they're all blogging about making money blogging.  Or trying to sell you a course about it (or affiliate marketing, or some other "guaranteed" money-spinner).  I ask you, if their system was so successful, why wouldn't they just be doing it instead of having to sell it to you?

The other group which seems to be making enough to live on (though not a fortune) are the people who have good websites (a good example is Retireyoung, who's a member here).  Even then, they spent months or even years burning the midnight oil before they earned enough to give up their day job.  These people run blogs to drive traffic to their websites, but they usually don't create much revenue in their own right.

I'm interested in Marye's comment about blogging "on a network" as opposed to a standalone blog.  I don't even know what that means - Marye, please explain (maybe there's a Hub in it?).  Actually, I wouldn't call About.com a blog site, it's more like an article website, so perhaps my argument still stands.

22. Apae profile image61
    Apaeposted 16 years ago

Why leave About if it was so good? I've known About for having quite good quality articles, so no wonder getting hired is hard.

And about those AdSense earnings: mine are even more terrible. With any luck things will pick up soon, for both you and I.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)