Does anyone actually make money on their hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-35 of 35 discussions (57 posts)
  1. HrtsMakeFamilies profile image60
    HrtsMakeFamiliesposted 14 years ago

I'm curious if anyone actually makes money on their hubs.  How long did it take for you to make some?  Is it a good side income?

1. LiamBean profile image79
      LiamBeanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Misha's clowning. The answer is "yes", but it's nothing to write home about. There are two primary revenue streams. One from HubPages itself and others from Google Adsense/Amazon/eBay*/Kontera.

*eBay seems to be cutting us all loose due to "changes to end user agreements." *COUGH (and a loud one at that)*

Check out this link;

http://hubpages.com/tour/affiliate/

and this one

http://hubpages.com/hub/Making-Money-Wi … ages-Myths

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not quite right - HubPages doesn't pay us anything.  ALL our income comes from Adsense, Amazon, eBay and Kontera, depending on which ones you're signed up with.

eBay changed its rules recently.  Under the new rules, sites like HubPages aren't supposed to be able to participate.  HP spoke to eBay and got approval to continue.  Existing eBay affiliates haven't had problems, but there seems to be some confusion in getting new members enrolled and I believe HP is talking to eBay about that.

Considering their draconian email regarding an affiliate program I think eBay should stick where the moon don't shine.

Now, now. eBay's rules for becoming an affiliate are very clear.  Most people who get that email have been stupid enough not to read them before applying, and deserve to get it!

The new rule is that you can ONLY put your eBay ads on your own website or blog. If you don't own it, you can't be an eBay affiliate. Period.  EXCEPT on HubPages and Squidoo.

As it's an exception, I suspect the plebs in eBay Customer Service haven't caught up with it, and the rejections are just a mistake - but I could be wrong.  I know Fawntia said that HP was talking to eBay and not to bother trying to sign up till they've got it resolved - not sure whether that still stands.

2. elisabethkcmo profile image77
      elisabethkcmoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

as today, my total money made is $5.37 which will buy me a double shot latte plus a tip.... sounds good to me!

3. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I had my own website and was signed up with Google and Amazon a few years before I started here, so I got my first payments right off the bat as the combined earnings from multiple sites was enough to make payouts.

It's not my side income, it's a good chunk of my main income. (my day job is my web writing)

4. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes. big_smile  I have actually been on hubpages for two years during that time I learned and I utilized everything that Misha had taught me when I finally put it all together... the next day I actually started to make money.

Within a month I reached my threshold and my earnings have steadily increased every month. big_smile

2. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Nobody. Don't trust them if they say they are lol

1. HrtsMakeFamilies profile image60
      HrtsMakeFamiliesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL I don't know if I should take that seriously or not.

1. lrohner profile image68
        lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No. Don't take that seriously. It's just Misha being Misha!

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

Search the forums, this question has been answered many times.

It takes a few months for income to start trickling in, but it does improve quickly after that, if you've written the right stuff.  If you really want to make money here, you need to do your research on how to write for the internet.  It's not money for jam.

4. wrenfrost56 profile image56
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

What marisa said but without the jam. smile I have made a little, some here have made a lot, I am still pretty new and from what I have heard, it just takes time.

5. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

If you write the right kind of Hubs you're more likely to make better money.  The right key words and well worded titles will help any Hub get more traffic.  Some people, more than others, just write "whatever" (without thinking about keywords, etc.) and "see what happens" (which is sometimes not much).  Some approach it like business writing.  I'm sort of a half-and-half-er", myself, but I've been paid every month for more than a year now. 

As Marissa said, it can take a little time, but after a while it can start to increase.   (I don't know what the "jam" comment means - a couple of dollars for a jar of Smuckers?  or is "jam" something else?   lol  Must be a regional thing.  lol)

6. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

pretty soon i will be able to get that Ferrari i've been wanting...(just kidding).

i think once i get the hang of it...when something just clicks in just the right way, i will be earning some ducats.

7. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

Some make into 4 figures a month with there hubs, if not more now.

~thranax~

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That I have to see. As for me I think there is very little money in just hubbing, you need something else.

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There are people making 4 figures per month with their hubs..... but a lot lot closer to $1000 than $9999 wink

I know of two people that take quite a bit over $1000, but this includes a lot of very focused Amazon and Ebay sales pages.... I guess that you need to draw on all 3 affiliates to achieve that.

Also, $1000 only equates to $32.26 per 24 hour period. This is a 24 hour a day, 7 day a week, income....... If I am on $2 per day already, then I am already 6.2% there.  If I have been here for 3 months, then I could be expecting to earn 49.6% of this within 2 years (6.2% x 8 quarters). So at my current growth in earnings, with my current work rate, I should be earning $500 a month by the end of my 2nd year.

Just goes to show that it can be done with hard work big_smile

2. profile image0

I can assure you that nobody is making 5 figures per month with their hubs thranax, in 10 years time if adsense still exists then maybe there could be one or two....

8. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

hey, you're at 100. awesome!

Ya. I think somethings wrong. I think I'm stuck or something.

9. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

I am making a small, but passive income each month between Adsense and Amazon sales (a great majority is from Adsense...) But, I do lots of keyword research and only write articles for the sole purpose of earning a passive income. My goal was to reach payout for Adsense every month ($100/month) and that goal has been attained. smile It's pretty cool to have money coming in for work that I've already done, month after month.

My goal here is to earn money, so I've always approached my research very seriously. Of course, I write about topics that I'm interested in and know a lot about too, which is definitely a necessity. smile Otherwise, I'd be really bored just writing about random topics to earn money. No matter your interests, I believe there is almost ALWAYS something profitable you can write about online.

If you do want to earn money, I wouldn't waste time writing hubs until you know how to do keyword research and find profitable topics to write about. There are TONS of hubs on this with valuable information. I would spend a considerable amount of time researching and THEN begin writing based upon what you've learned. smile

GirlyGirl has good advice.

Go here;

https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

And type in the word or phrase you want to research. Be sure to type in the CAPTCHA and hit the "get keyword ideas" at the bottom.

Leaving "use synonyms" checked will help a bit too.

Once there click on "show hide" columns and select "show all" to see everything, including dollar amounts, paid for those keywords. There's no guarantee this will get you income; people have to find and read your hubs first, but if they do and adsense associates those phrases in your article with the inserted adsense ads, you'll start generating income from Google.

Ahem! You also need to sign up for adsense.

10. Dale Mazurek profile image61
    Dale Mazurekposted 14 years ago

Hubpages is in my opinion one of the best tools out there for any marketer.

Do I make money off HubPages?  Well directly from Hubpages no, but indirectly I do very well as a result of the work I do through HubPages.

Adsense is a very small part of the resulting income.  If done properly (no spamming and other low down tactics) You can make a great amount of money as a result of what you do here on HubPages

11. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

It took me 10 months to hit my first payout, but only 2 months to hit my second.  I'm hoping to hit a monthly payout next month.

12. torimari profile image68
    torimariposted 14 years ago

Hahah, I earned my first $ today...6 cents. xD

13. mymagicview profile image63
    mymagicviewposted 14 years ago

From past 30 days I am making some 10 to 20 cents every day. This is very less but better than big 0 in past. This is just the beginning and I think more hubs will help me to earn more. My aim is to earn 500 dollars every month. This month I have earned just 4 dollars. So very long way to go.

There must be around 100 pageviews/day to earn something everyday, considering CPM around $2.50.

14. karmen88 profile image60
    karmen88posted 14 years ago

Sorry for the new hubber/broke college student question but you can really make money from your hubs? Is it from the ads that show up?

15. SunSeven profile image62
    SunSevenposted 14 years ago

I get pay out from the affiliate programs every month smile
    Best Regards

16. visitmaniac profile image60
    visitmaniacposted 14 years ago

You can make money and yes it comes from the ads you see around. You will need to get yourself affiliate accounts and adsense accounts in order to tap into that revenue. Also your going to want to learn some basic seo skills so you know what your doing to get traffic to your hub your in high competition with many other hubbers all set out on the same goal.

1. Robin Layne profile image72
      Robin Layneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What is a seo skill?

17. Roffi Grandiosa profile image59
    Roffi Grandiosaposted 14 years ago

I made 30 cents since i joined hubpages 2 weeks ago. I'm still too far from the honeypot!

18. Robin Layne profile image72
    Robin Layneposted 14 years ago

I read toward the beginning of this thread that it takes a few months if you write the right things. But I've found that one advertiser, eBay, doesn't give you that chance. They canceled my account as "inactive," though I wrote 13 Hubs over the span of 11 months. According to the records of one advertiser (I forget which one) I earned all of 7 cents. And they don't pay out unless you've earned $100. I am poor, so any payment of $100, especially for writing, would not be a trickle.

19. DennisBarker profile image60
    DennisBarkerposted 14 years ago

I earn enough here to buy a couple of cups of coffee now and again. My target is £500 per month within the next year.If I can't figure it out and earn that much in a year then I will move on to something else.If I can, then the next target is £1000 per onth for the following year, and so on for the next 20 years.

I'm planning to make the income here a contribution to my retirement income.

1. profile image0

Thats a lot to aim for within a year if I am honest.... $1000 per month is probably achievable after 2 years with a lot of hard work. But thats only £600-£650. I guess that you are from the UK like me. Remember that the US-UK exchange rate will improve again for us should our interest rates rise, probably back to the $2 region.... that makes your $1000 worth £500.

But surely £6000 per year would be a brilliant pension contribution? I guess it depends on your age, but I am 24. I am also writing for my pension..... and I am aiming for £3600 per year within 2 years (in todays terms) although I have been here for 3 months, not 13 months like it says.

1. profile image0
        \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ryan you are forgetting you are an ace writer,. some of us are not..... you have such a depth with everything you do..... you are born with that ability i am sure of it...... of course you have to work at it too

2. emievil profile image67
        emievilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hmmmm $1,000 after 2 years? Ryan, if I can earn $1,000 consistently every month, I won't have to work. With the current exchange here, $1,000 is like 47,000 bucks, big enough to stop working and to save money for retirement smile.

20. DennisBarker profile image60
    DennisBarkerposted 14 years ago

SEO = Search engine Optimisation

This is the keyword research you would do before you begin writing your hubs and structure your hubs around.

21. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

I published my first hub less than 3 months ago.... and I am currently making an average of about $2.00 per day....  Plenty of people make double that.

If I ever get to $7.50 per day, then hubpages is a good second income for me..... and would be going straight into my pension.

22. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

girlygirls advice should be well heeded, if your main goal is direct profits from your hubpages, you must learn how to get traffic and how to write for conversion, quality writing is better than not quality writing, but has nothing to do with your initial traffic or earnings.

Over time if your writing/knowledge is excellent than you will gain traffic and visitors through others linking and sharing your work

But in most topics simply reading into what people are searching for, how they are searching and what your competition is can ensure that you hit the ground running - the traffic and money is their, just have to tap in right.

As far as pageviews goes, I wouldnt rest until you hit 1k daily views, not 100 as previously stated in this thread

23. AEvans profile image73
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

Yes, you make money just as all explained it! Be patient, just be patient. smile

24. loveofnight profile image76
    loveofnightposted 14 years ago

patience seems to be the main keyword when it comes to making money from hubs

25. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

$1000 a month is very doable if you put in the kind of effort that Ryan has. $2/day at only 3 months in is an exceptional achievement

I can attest to having months that exceeded $1000usd only from hub traffic ..but an important distinction is that I do not only use the default aff programs

1000/month isnt good enough in my book, but its an amazing milestone

26. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I've made a little bit, it's growing.

my question, does anyone make money from amazon?? is it worth it or does it take away from google ads?

That's a very good question!  There are some top Hubbers who do OK with Amazon as well as Adsense, and don't believe they conflict with each other.  I can't quite decide.

I used to include Amazon and eBay capsules in every Hub, on the principle that they were colourful and added interest, even if no one clicked.  Then I realised that was dumb - if readers clicked on an eBay ad because of the pretty picture, I'd lost a chance of them clicking on an Adsense ad.

So now I include eBay and Amazon capsules only if I can find products directly relevant to the Hub.  I have other eBay affiliate sites so I'm earning money from them monthly anyway.  With Amazon, I've made only $35 in two years sad

1. magdielqr profile image60
        magdielqrposted 14 years agoin reply to this

With adsense is about a month?

27. magdielqr profile image60
    magdielqrposted 14 years ago

You can earn big money with adsense. How many hubs are required?

28. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

thanks for the reply, Marissa. I have wondered about it and looked closely at other top hubs to see what it there.  I am signed up for amazon, but have not placed any ads yet. I do think it must be very closely targeted to the content, as something that is mentioned in the hub. maybe I'll try a book or something people like to order online.

29. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Hi rebekahELLE,

I do think that Amazon and Ebay capsules take away from adsense earnings. So if you want to make lots of money with adsense, I would definitely design hubs that focus on great adsense keywords and leave off Amazon and Ebay.

Or if you want to include them, in case you have lousy adsense ads, I would create 3 or 4 paragraphs of text, then add Amazon or Ebay capsules with related text after the substantial text.

If you decide to feature Amazon or Ebay, don't expect to make lots of adsense earnings. Even with 200 odd hubs, I just make a little over $100 every month with adsense, because that's not my priority. I prefer - at this point - to focus on Amazon and Ebay - and make most of my money there.

But at some point in the future, I will try my hand at adsense hubs. Those probably will not have much if any Amazon or Ebay products.

Hope this helps.

30. marcofratelli profile image80
    marcofratelliposted 14 years ago

My mistake since I've joined HubPages is not writing enough (I think). I've done about 44 hubs in 10 months, so about one a week on average since I have a full time job. I haven't earned that much at all, given the figures thrown around on this thread, but it's a steep learning curve and requires some commitment. I'm getting more hits on HubPages than on any other site at the moment. I'm yet to reach a major milestone but at least the traffic sorts itself out for the most part.

I'm in the same boat as Marisa with Amazon. It's no longer essential that I display them, only if it adds value to the hub. I haven't signed up with eBay either (Are they still through CJ? My account was disabled twice because I didn't earn anything over a significant amount of time so i gave that up)

1. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

At least you're building a portfolio of hubs. So as time goes on, your earnings should increase. I think it's a great strategy - to have full-time job and gradually increase your web presence.

31. yoshi97 profile image57
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

There's a lot of good info here.

Myself ... I have doubled my income here monthly since I have started, and I continue to crawl up the ladder. Part of that is getting more selective with my keywords and finding out which niches pay off better and the other part is the way Hubpages interlinks your hub together, creating organic links that grow with time.

I used to think having the high paying phrase in the URL was more important than having it in the title, but discovering how Hubpages interlinks pages has changed my thoughts on this ... and I'm in the process of experimenting on that with my latest hubs.

For you see ... Each hub shows similar hubs on the right side, and at any point one of those hubs could be one of yours ... which then can get linked into Google. Now, that doesn't constitute a hit for you, but it does count as a link as far as Google is concerned ... and a natural one.

In that respect, it might be best to have the title and URL the same, but I'm banking on a new strat which I have yet to see how it will work.

Now, interestingly enough, it take several months for these links to build up, which can take a great keyword phrase to the front page of google. I have several on the front page right now, and that's without placing quotes around them ... these were done with the key phrase in the URL. I'm now reversing and trying a few in the title to see how they will go ... won't know for sure for about two months.

So ... that's why it takes about four months to see the money start to come in regularly ... and only if you are choosing your keywords well.

Of course ... dumb luck sometimes plays a role. Case in point, I have a hub with a URL that doesn't match at all, but it still gets a lot of hits. Now ... the keyword phrase IS in the title, which led me to my latest title phrase experiment. smile

My goal? First payout in five months, and it's totally reachable. And from there ... I just keep writing a few hubs each week on great keyword phrases and the dough should keep multiplying.

Something else I want to try ... extremely low search competition phrases with under 1000 hits per month. Provided I can hit #1 on Google for each phrase, it shouldn't matter if the hits are low, as I should get most of them. smile

32. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

I looked back Ryan and someone else saying 4 digests Hub profit a month isn't doable. Is it you didn't believe me? Honestly, when did I ever lie here..really I don't just say bs unless I read the bs somewhere else and thought it was authentic, on this subject, I defiantly did my research. I guess in turn, it is your answer in which is a lie.

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0908/the-cake-is-not-a-lie-light-yagami-misa-amane-l-death-note-a-demotivational-poster-1249555909.jpg

~thranax~

33. profile image0
    cathinfranceposted 14 years ago

There are two primary revenue streams. One from HubPages itself and others from Google Adsense/Amazon/eBay*/Kontera.

Liam wrote this. But I understood HubPages allows you to earn through affiliates but pays nothing directly?

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hubpages do pay for content - sometimes:

http://hubpages.com/help/flagship_hubs_more

But the affiliate programs are where you make money.

34. fishtiger58 profile image68
    fishtiger58posted 14 years ago

Buck and 92 cents lol I am on a roll.

35. Bredavies profile image63
    Bredaviesposted 14 years ago

I made 40 cents..Im goin get some candy. haha

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)