Apparently I am a liberal? Some people...

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Bovine Currency profile image60
    Bovine Currencyposted 14 years ago

Recently, more than once or twice, I have been accused of being a liberal.  I say accused because the term has been used in such a term to indicate it as a term of ridicule.  I really am not sure how this assumption has been made.

What are the opinions on liberalism?

Anyone?

I am not a liberal.  I challenge anyone to prove that statement wrong.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Bovine, when I came to Australia (a very long time ago), I was mightily amused to find that the right-wing Conservative party was called the Liberal Party.  Everywhere else in the world, being a liberal (with a small l) means quite the opposite.  Here's the dictionary definition:

a.  Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.

b. Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.

Anyone less liberal than the Australian Liberal Party, I find hard to imagine! 

Does that make you feel less insulted?

Bovine Currencyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL!

I have often considered that fact re: the ALP.

But no, it doesn't make me feel less insulted.  I know full well about both political liberal manifestations.  I am not liberal(.)

I am not any of those things, liberal, conservative, whatever.  I will probably get a fine soon enough because I am now refusing to vote and I do that for several reasons.  One is it should be my right NOT to vote and two, that I feel my civil liberties are further undermined by the electrol roll system whereby any citizen can access my details by walking into the electoral office.  I like my anonymity as it is and I will not be assimilated into any crazy politics.  They are all mugs.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
          Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Bovine, the point I was trying to make (which is clear in the definition) is that liberal with a small l doesn't have to be anything to do with politics. It's an attitude.

ok, I get that.  I could go both ways in response.  I see the point you are trying to make.  Interesting and intelligent response Marisa.

When I say both ways, I mean to say I could go further but you have made your point and it is perfectly valid. 

I am rather hot and bothered at the moment.   Warm here in perth today.

Errr.  Guess I am not in a laughing mood right now! But you have got me smiling smile

2. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Well what do you want to be called? Anti-religion kinda puts you in with the liberal crowd. But if you are saying "liberal" isn't the correct classification, I agree! Anachist is more correct but I think liberal sounds nicer.

3. Bovine Currency profile image60

Life without labels is a fantasy to you sneako?

lol

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I said pick one or if you would rather declare your position on an issue and we can go from there.

4. Bovine Currency profile image60

I have constantly declared my position.  Holding a position does not require me to submit to your generalist views on humanity and reality ad finitum.

5. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

I'm generally tagged a conservative on HP--probably with cause.  But I'm also pro-choice on abortion, follow a non-Christian faith, and remember standing up against racial prejudice against multiple adult opponents by the time I was ten. 

Life without labels would be pretty cool, but most homo sapiens seem to have automatic label makers hardwired into their psyches.

You are a rare entity Ghost.  I like that.

6. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

There is no way for one individual to prove you wrong.

Your individual ideology, beliefs and knowledge, are different from everyone else. How ever, our society loves to label people, so as to separate them from others. This happens mostly with religious people.

The righteous, again mostly, religious indoctrinated people, come from all directions to either complain or place blame, and do whatever they can to discredit you and what you stand for.

Especially, if it's a stance against "GOD", their mystical supreme entity. When you attack "GOD" or speak badly about him, as though, he is a real person, then they descend from the crawl spaces and wood work, just to strike out, because they feel wounded somehow? Like you attack a little child and you were a meanie and had to be dealt with.

Please, anything anyone has to say about it- is subjective, at best, and biased based on their own sense of morality and views.

Well said.

7. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

Thanks, Bovine.  The appreciation is appreciated.  big_smile

8. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

I have been told that as well Bovine. I am not sure what people mean by it either. Or by claiming liberals are destroying the world. I know I am a good person, and by no means am a negative force on this planet. But yes, many people here (and in general) love to categorize, label, generalize and then attack. I think it gives them a false sense of security, that if they have everyone labeled they can focus their negativity better?

It is a false sense, yes.  It is easier to defend a position if you are part of a mob (or so is the delusion).  It is lazy in my eyes, a defense against personal responsibility.  These labelists or generalists, it is more about power than ethics, they refuse to look at anything particular with any depth and the thinking person is the enemy.

9. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Yes and it is a constant battle of hypocrisy as well. Meaning one says "Everyone has the right to their belief and opinion" but then "You are wrong and I hope you realize it". Because they don't look at the whole person. They put them into little boxes and then make assumptions.

10. Bovine Currency profile image60

Not suprising, the single hubber that stands out for me is also the first to reply to this thread.

You can't beat them colebabie, I have reached an acceptance of that.

1. Colebabie profile image60
      Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I haven't yet. And for me it isn't a matter of beating them, but rather a matter of understanding. Which I have failed to do so far, despite great effort smile It doesn't bother me the labeling so much, but how I am disregarding as a person because of it. Like my opinion, my existence, doesn't matter (or shouldn't).

I get what you are saying.  For me I accepted that their opinion was that mine does not matter.  I can accept that.  I don't have to like it but I can accept it.  Other peoples opinion of me is none of my business.

11. wyanjen profile image70
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

I'm a liberal.
    Slap away at me, hit me with that label.

I used to call myself a moderate until I realized that even though I carefully analyze the candidates and issues, I vote far left, every damn time.

Lefty, lefty, liberal. tongue

1. tksensei profile image61
      tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I respect your honesty.

1. wyanjen profile image70
        wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm OUT of the closet.
        You should see how much peanut butter I put on my toast. I spread it liberally

1. Cagsil profile image71
          Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol

Hey Jen,

How are you today? big_smile

12. Bovine Currency profile image60

LOL!

Good on you wyanjen, be as liberal as you like smile

I have catholic friends, muslim friends, jewish friends, pentacostal friends, buddhist friends, athiest friends, liberal friends and all sorts in between.  Just don't like those who make it their business to decide my beliefs.  The word sociopath comes to mind.

And now you even have a neo-hippie friend smile

Lovely big_smile

You now have me, a friend(.) lol

moo-cow. yay smile

13. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 14 years ago

Liberalism is the backbone of capitalism- free individuals pursuing their interests. Conservatives react against the unpleasant social changes that capitalism inevitably produces. People on the left think it is possible to harness the power of capitalism to do good for everyone.

I reckon anyone who is sane, is a liberal a conservative and a leftist sometime in the average day, often in the same moment.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)