Lines of Gratitude

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (80 posts)
  1. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 15 years ago

You lead us gently, always gently, where
    you will. Your voice is quiet and sublime.
    You let us rest along the way, and there
    you help us find delights in our own time.
    You do not shield us from the anguished soul,
    but show us how to pity and forgive
    and through our pity to become more whole
    in spirit, as you teach us how to live
    in all our diverse ways. You understate
    the passion in your being, yet we discern
    how deeply you desire that soon or late
    in our discipleship we each shall learn
    the simplest truth that nature can impart -
    that we have all of us one human heart.

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

beautiful paraglider.  smile  Especially the last line.  smile

Paragliderposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Sandra. And well done for spotting the quality of the last line - That line is by Wordsworth, from a long blank verse poem called Michael. I used it as the seed for this sonnet, which I meant both as a tribute to Wordsworth and as a universal prayer.

1. profile image0

Well than cheers to Wordsworth as well!  smile

2. ripplemaker profile image77
      ripplemakerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Beautifully said.  I am inspired. big_smile

3. Andrew0208 profile image58
      Andrew0208posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Sounds good. I'm keen about a word in the thread "Gratitude" It calls for appreciation and celebration of each other not just being religious about it.

Thanks Andrew. Yes, the title of the poem as well as its general direction are intended to say that whether or not we 'believe' in any conventional sense, we should nurture a grateful spirit through life, for none of us lives in isolation from others, from nature, from the universe. Wordsworth was well aware of that.

2. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

Now that is a poem. big_smile

3. gamergirl profile image83
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

*snaps fingers and grins*

4. Paraglider profile image88

Thanks all smile

5. Peter M. Lopez profile image72
    Peter M. Lopezposted 15 years ago

True poetry, Paraglider!!!

6. Paraglider profile image88

Peter & RippleMaker - thank you for your appreciation. It means a lot.

- Dave

1. mohitmisra profile image59
      mohitmisraposted 15 years agoin reply to this

How can you plagiarise someone elses lines and add it to your lines?

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
        Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

For an "enlightened" being, you sure do pick a lot of fights..........

2. Paraglider profile image88

I am not ashamed to stand on the shoulders of giants, my friend.

My poem was a homage to a great poet. That is why I picked one of his lines to conclude my sonnet. I would expect many of my readers to recognise the quote. But you might notice that when Sandra picked out the Wordsworth line and praised me for it, I immediately responded by saying it was not mine, but William Wordsworth's.

Maybe some day I'll feel inclined to quote you:
        Don’t read in bad light, it is not something you can reset.
        But hey, it's not quite got the ring of
        That we have all of us one human heart
        or am I missing something, Maestro??

Please be more careful in future not to enclose your meanderings in my quote-box.

Thank you for telling me line 13 is great.

Line 14 is by Wordsworth.

I'm sorry you didn't like lines 1 to 12.

You have the grace of a slug.

good night smile

I still feel this is blatant  plagiariseing from some other poets work.If someone  copied from my poems and said its their poem that would be called cheating or fraud.

7. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

I still feel this is blatant  plagiariseing from some other poets work. Mine Mine all Mine. If someone copied from my poems and said its their poem that would be called cheating or fraud. Mine Mine all Mine - something u won't have 2 worry abut.

8. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 15 years ago

If I recall correctly, it was Hemmingway who said that art is taking something that already exist and making it better. Or making it yours.

I don't see how this is plagerism.  Many people have come to the conclusion that "we have, all of us, one heart". 

These aren't words that souly rest on  Kenny, but the art of poetry here was that Pariglider took something he found beautiful, and made it better.  I loved it, I loved even better than not just one person I admire wrote it, but two people I admire wrote it together and that says a lot about the hub community and them as well. 

Beautiful things are meant to be shared. 

Who could paint if the one who invented painting decided it was only good enough for himself?
    Instead they took a few colors and made so many colors I couldn't even begin to know them all.  I say, that is a lot better!

That is the beauty of art, it is meant to be shared.  smile

Art is co creating with the universe and not using someone elses work.Poetry is original no one ese has written those lines before.Some of you are very blind.

1. profile image0

If that is the way that you feel, then none of your poetry is original, all of it is plagerized.  Find me one line in your poetry that I can not find somewhere else then maybe I will change my mind, but there isn't any one line that you use in any of your sonnets or poetry or art that is original.

You are very blind. have put up poems like Death and Religions on this forum which are unique no man has written those lines before and again I repeat you are very blind .Wordswoth did not copy that line from some one else and say by doing so it was poetry.

1. profile image0

thanks!  I guess you can't do it can you?

Do what incorporate  a masters lines in mine no way its against my principles and I have no need to.The universe reveals the lines to me.

1. profile image0

I guess you don't understand the question so how can you answer it for you have no knowledge of the question at hand.  oops, I think I just plagerized.  That is a quote from you.

I figure you aren't going to answer the question because Heaven forbid you eat your own words. 

But I will wait insult after insult for you to answer the question.  Incase you forgot, the question was, give me one line in your art that I can not find from someone else previously written and I will change my mind.

Stick to the question please.

Well read the poem Religions that I have posted on this forumand you will get more than just one line.

9. Paraglider profile image88

No-one in the established poetry community would regard this as plagiarism. There is a well established tradition of taking a small quote from a famous writer and building a new work around it. Exactly the same thing is done in music - variations on a theme, etc. The quote here is well known and I am not trying to pass it off as my own. The sonnet is a homage to William Wordsworth (not Kenny Wordsmith, Sandra wink ) as well as being a poem in its own right.

Mohit has much to learn, and not only about poetry, but I can't help that.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Paraglider is absolutely right.  There are several examples of this in poetry over the centuries.  And in fact it is even more common in music. 

If Paraglider had wanted to be pedantic, he could have included the last line in quotes, to make it clear it was someone else's words - but as it's such a small part of the poem, and recognisable to many people anyway, it's not really necessary.

Lovely poem, BTW

Music would lose so much without it, in fact. The Enigma Variations, Most of Vaughan Williams output, the whole of Flamenco . . .

Thanks Marisa smile

2. mohitmisra profile image59

You cannot pay homage to a master by mixing his words in yours ,you are paying homage to yourself and not him,you are insulting him.Your poem would be useless without his last line.

3. weblog profile image56
      weblogposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely right smile

So Shakespeare and other greats used other poets words and built around them.ha!

1. weblog profile image56

My message was for Paraglider...Well, Uninvited Writer answered it well.

Quoting something is not copying, I don't think that is Plagiarism. I don't know Shakespeare much, but in Indian(languages') literature such quotings are there smile

When you quote you need to mentionthe source and must be seperate by itself.

1. weblog profile image56

That's just your opinion, not a Rule smile

Its a rule and not just my opinion.

2. Paraglider profile image88

Weblog - thanks wink

10. Mark Knowles profile image59

Paraglider - The third worst poet in the universe was just looking for a fight. I have yet to see him say anything that was worth listening to.

The best word I can come up with is "hubris."

It works, in context!

However, the word has been used before. Are you sure you have permission to recycle it this way?

How about if I spell it differently? Hewbris? big_smile

11. Paraglider profile image88

kewl

12. Mark Knowles profile image59

Here is a thought. We have a system in place to measure the calibre of hubbers right now.

In the bottom right-hand corner of everyone's avatar is a little white box with a number in it. Red numbers. 100 is the best. The higher the number, the better the hubber.

Some of us that are concerned with rankings should take note of this. big_smile

13. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

Actually...Shakespeare got most of his ideas from other works...

Shakespeare is controversial I Agree ,what about Kabir,Guru Nanak etc.
      Poetry comes from the source,its an expression of the soul and is very deep and original.The essence will be the same and not the words.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism
      Plagiarism is the unauthorized use or close imitation of the language and thoughts of another author and the representation of them as one's own original work

Within academia, plagiarism by students, professors, or researchers is considered academic dishonesty or academic fraud and offenders are subject to academic censure. In journalism, plagiarism is considered a breach of journalistic ethics, and reporters caught plagiarizing typically face disciplinary measures ranging from suspension to termination. Some individuals caught plagiarizing in academic or journalistic contexts claim that they plagiarized unintentionally, by failing to include quotations or give the appropriate citation. While plagiarism in scholarship and journalism has a centuries-old history, the development of the Internet, where articles appear as electronic text, has made the physical act of copying the work of others much easier, simply by copying and pasting text from one web page to another.

Plagiarism is not copyright infringement. While both terms may apply to a particular act, they are different transgressions. Copyright infringement is a violation of the rights of a copyright holder, when material protected by copyright is used without consent. On the other hand, plagiarism is concerned with the unearned increment to the plagiarizing author's reputation that is achieved through false claims of authorship.

is considered academic dishonesty or academic fraud

14. profile image0

Oh for sh*ts and giggles, I thought I may include...

Acts 4:32 " Now the multitude of those who believed were of one heart and soul, and no one said that any of his posessions was his own, but instead they held everything in common."

tongue

15. Paraglider profile image88

Mohit -

Thank you for repeatedly bumping my thread to the top of the board through your fatuous comments. All publicity is good publicity.

But I am intrigued. Why is it so important to you to discredit me? Even if I accepted your idiosyncratic definition of plagiarism, what do you want me to do? Apologise to you? To Wordsworth?

It seems to me that you feel threatened. But there's no need, my friend. I threaten no-one. I don't aspire to your mantle of highest ranked Doo-dah. Be what you like. Do what you like. Believe what you like.

Unlike you, I don't try to profit from my writing. It's just something I like to do and try to do well. But I am happy to make you this promise - if some mysterious benefactor throws loads of money at my Wordsworth tribute, I will send one fourteenth of the total to the Wordsworth museum in the Lake District, in recognition of his excellent line.

The remaining thirteen fourteenths I'll probably blow on booze, fast cars, fast women, and the rest I'll just squander.

The last 13 words are of course plagiarised from Georgie Best, but I doubt if you've ever heard of him.

Good night, Sirrah Jack ho! (plagiarised from 'Falstaff')

What you are dong is not correct and its simple truth.You will never be able to make profit form your writing as no one will pay for it.You dont have to apologise to me just take out that last line and insert  your own. Stop plagiarising someone elses words,they are his and not yours,you cannot take the credit for that.What you are doing is on the world wide web and not in your personal diary or as school work.

16. Uninvited Writer profile image79

No point in arguing, Paraglider...he is always right smile

This is common knowledge and not just my opinion.

17. knolyourself profile image59

When I was a kid the good guys always talked their way out of sure fire castrophe, from the bad guys. Then I saw my first movie, where the killer was unknown and came out of nowhere. No one got a chance to talk there way out of that. Was something of a shock to me, a no rational force.

Play your games wth someone else, I dislike fraud I stand for truth and will protect the masters.

Sir Isaac Newton discovered gravity and was correctly credited with it.So many saw an apple fall on the ground which was common knowldge but the do not get credited for discovering gravity.
      Next you will take a Van Gogh add some paint on to it and say it is your painting ha! Copying is so simple and does not take any effort or energy. It is not true art or poetry which is divinity.The poet becomes an empty vehicle and god speaks through him.

Interestingly shallow view, Mohit. Kepler, unhappy with inaccuracies in the Copernican model, worked with data provided through years of observation by Tycho Brahe. Kepler produced from this data accurate mathematical formulae that described elliptical planetary orbits. Newton had all of this work as a starting point. His contribution (regarding Gravity) was to show that Kepler's orbits could be explained if there was a universal inverse square law attractive force between masses. F = GMm/r^2 This was a great contribution. It was accepted as absolute truth until Einstein offered an alternative explanation which effectively replaces the concept of gravitational attraction with the idea of curvature of space. Einstein's theory entirely includes Newton's which entirely includes Kepler. That is how knowledge grows. Not by some little guy saying look at me I'm totally original.

Its simple the one who writes the lines should get the credit and not someone who uses it later.Its like the school teacher getting the credit for some masters lines he recites when he teaches in school.Wordsworth should get the credit and not you.Its only a master who can expand on a masters quote and not anybody.You want to take credit for his lines,why dont you write your own lines.For me every line,every couplet and every poem required a lot of contemplation and meditation,at times a single poem would take me years to complete. If your thoughts coincided with someone elses it would be okay if you wrote the same words but not when you just use his lines blatantly.

I begin to think you don't understand English very well. I've said many times that one of my reasons for writing this poem was to return thanks to Wordsworth. So far, everyone but you has understood that. I've also said that I don't write 'for credit' or 'for profit'. As to your question "why don't I write my own lines?" Please tell me who you think writes my poems? I'd be interested to meet him/her.

If I were you, I'd keep that very quiet indeed!

Mention it with the poem and the line you have used.You still havent understood why I have been ranked I for 2006 and overall over Khalil Gibran and Shakepeare.Before you come to me correct their work as I am ranked over them.Your friend game girl was talking about her crowning moment being published on a site,well I have also been published by them and I havent mentioned it in years as It is the most insignificant credentials I have .

18. knolyourself profile image59

Some say I am an idiot,
    Some say I am a total nut,
    Some say I am lazy,
    Some say I am crazy.
    or hazy
    or dazy
    or Amazy

SOME- if you are in that category you are sad.

19. knolyourself profile image59

Will No One kid Me Of This MeddleSOME Priest?

No matter what the opposition truth is just too powerfull and wins.

I have written these lines.

When I know something is right,
      Then with prayer and faith I must fight,
      God is behind me with all his might.

"When I know something is right,
        I believe in going for it, head-on."

Emily Giffin
        "Baby Proof"
        http://www.readinggroupgold.com/product … ow=excerpt

and someone tells me it's wrong,
        I usually get mad."

So live A-New.
        Website that creates sayings on demand.

http://www.soliveanew.com/glossary/2

to do, I'm going to do it."

Mattress Mack
        My First Business
        http://techbus.safaribooksonline.com/0793153751/ch01

lol big_smile

Next you will say he used the "and" the "I" which is what others writers have used before.

20. knolyourself profile image59

Saturday Nights Alrights For Fights

21. knolyourself profile image59

Cool Monk Luke

22. profile image0

Top rated poets:

25 Highest Rated Authors

Title of Poem: Select Famous Poet Rating Views
    The Bridge Henry Wadsworth Longfellow 9.97 2012
    a pretty a day E.E. Cummings 9.93 1312
    Alone by Maya Angelou Maya Angelou 9.91 10464
    Christmas Bells a poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow Henry Wadsworth Longfellow 9.87 1442
    I Knew A Man By Sight Henry David Thoreau 9.85 1635
    Million Man March Poem by Maya Angelou Maya Angelou 9.82 2776
    I am a Parcel of Vain Strivings Tied Henry David Thoreau 9.75 1343
    Regret Charlotte Bronte 9.75 2144
    The Flower Alfred Lord Tennyson 9.73 1343
    Self-Pity D H Lawrence 9.72 7194
    A Psalm of Life Henry Wadsworth Longfellow 9.71 2166
    Epitaph On An Army of Mercenaries A E Houseman 9.71 2422
    Three Words I Long To Know A E Houseman 9.70 1710
    Riders Robert Frost 9.68 2416
    A Better Ressurection Christina Rossetti 9.66 1261
    Look not in my eyes, for fear A E Houseman 9.66 1536
    Elegy Dylan Thomas 9.66 3142
    A Daughter of Eve Christina Rossetti 9.64 2295
    Juke Box Love Song Langston Hughes 9.62 1248
    Ask Me No More Alfred Lord Tennyson 9.6 702

http://www.todays-woman.net/famous-poet … -main.html

23. Paraglider profile image88

OK Mohit - forget it. Let's talk about Newton again. It's more fun:

Lonely Isaac, waiting there
    below the tree with downcast eyes
    (Isaac has the eyes, and not the tree)
    miserably unaware
    incapable of bright surprise
    (and blinded to the joys of poetry).
    Look above you, you may find
    soaring upwards, light as air
    (don't believe a word of what I say)
    apples of a better kind
    flying high without a care
    ripening in the glorious light of day.

Your turn?

Buddy I have written a book incase you forget.

Look - I was offering an olive branch. I was saying, forget about posturing and maybe loosen up and try to have some fun. I was suggesting that you might consider tossing off a few light-hearted lines of verse. But with your usual lack of grace, you just throw it back in my face. I understand that you won't meet me half-way because you're afraid that you can't. But now I'm just tired of your rudeness, tired of giving you seven times seven chances and regretful of the hours I've wasted.

I hope your new edition brings you the results you covet, since you are clearly more attached to outcomes than to actions. Good luck, Mohit!

You will never be able to achieve one hundreth of what I have ,you are not a worthy opponent.

24. Uninvited Writer profile image79

I just want to say...it is now 2008

2008½, from next Tuesday wink

Overall ranking is at 28.

2. weblog profile image56

I just want to say the enlightened(?!) poet talks as if he's a police. I'd like to know who made the rule and where Mohit Misra has seen it..!

Look it up.I have quoted from Kabir and other holy books in my book in my opening quotes and have mentioned ithe source immediatley after as they deserve the credit for those words.

3. profile image0

I was just about to say that!

4. mohitmisra profile image59

I have been working on my book till a few days back and plan to come out with a new editon in the next few weeks,finally happy with my book.God willing "Ponder Awhile" shall get ranked 1 for 2008 as well.

25. Uninvited Writer profile image79

I do have to say that this thread is great for comic relief smile

This forum is a comedy with atheists and fake poets speaking with authority on god.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You said it... and I don't mean Paraglider and Mark...

You are also very funny.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)