Abortion statistics..

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (49 posts)
  1. aka-dj profile image65
    aka-djposted 14 years ago

I have asked on a few occasions what %-age of abortions was a real medical need, versus convenience. No answers were ever given.

Here are some interesting numbers.

http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/policy/ … asons.html

Loosely translated, it's about 7% (real need) and 93% convenience.
    (Just in case anyone else was curious.)hmm

1. William R. Wilson profile image60
      William R. Wilsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think you need to reexamine your definition of convenience.

Does the woman have a stable life of her own so she can be a good mother?  Does she have steady income so she can provide basic necessities for her child?  Will the woman be rejected by her family because of religious beliefs? 

Raising a child is not simply a matter of convenience.  Making the decision to keep a pregnancy is something that will affect the rest of the womans life and the life of the child, and any children that child has.  There is a proven correlation between poverty, crime, drug abuse, and a host of other social ills.  If a woman doesn't want to bring a child into a bad situation that should be her choice.

1. Amanda Severn profile image94
        Amanda Severnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I doubt abortion is ever an easy choice. I wonder if those who are so ready to judge are as quick to put their hands in their pockets to help young women struggling to bring up their children in poverty.

2. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Still a conservative.

3. profile image0
        Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

how is any of that deemed medically necessary?

How is it "convenient"?

2. profile image0

I'm really disapointed the numbers aren't even close to any level of sanity. Thanks for the reference I can't believe this is the way Americans behave, shame on all of us.

3. aware profile image67
      awareposted 14 years agoin reply to this

the stats are stagering its a shame . a quote for the pro choice ladys out there. youve came a long way baby

4. wsp2469 profile image60
      wsp2469posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Okay.  You asked and answered your own question.  the hub is finished.

1. wsp2469 profile image60
        wsp2469posted 14 years agoin reply to this
  2. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

And why is that a surprise?

Humans tend to do things for convenience.

3. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Yeah, I had read that somewhere else, too.

4. Gabriella D'Anton profile image60
    Gabriella D'Antonposted 14 years ago

With all the birth control methods avalable, using abortion for conveniance is wrong

I am 100% pro-choice, but abortion should be the last resort not the first choice.

Take a look at http://hubpages.com/hub/the-romanian-tragedy

5. h.a.borcich profile image61
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

Isn't adoption an option?

1. profile image0

Are you crazy! Adoption way worse than abortion! We don't want good stable homes to have kids unless they can do it themselves!

1. tantrum profile image61
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ha Ha ! so you ,sneak ! big_smile

1. profile image0

Hey Tantrum! You know how I am.smile

1. tantrum profile image61
            tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

and I love it ! big_smile

2. profile image0
      baconmidgetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes i could have been aborted but instead my biological mother put me up for adoption and i got two very loving caring parents

1. h.a.borcich profile image61
        h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Being a birth mother is not easy, but to hear adoptees who have two loving and caring parents, it sure does help. You have no idea how glad I am for you to have your family. Thank you for sharing that, Holly

1. profile image0

yeah i'm just gald i found some1 to agree with me it seems like everybody just wants to abort and it saddens me to think that it could have been me that missed out on an awesome life
          my biological mom was 18 when she had me and was getting ready to go to college and didn't know what to do but like i said earlier luckily i was adopted

2. Make  Money profile image65
          Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah God bless both of you.  The amount of abortions is just sad.  When you consider that a lot of families in North America have to adopt from Russia or China you kind of wonder why there are so many abortions here.  A friend had to travel to Russia four times before bringing home a little girl.  Do you think organizations like Planned Parenthood are talking them into getting abortions?  If so your groups help for young women could be a Godsend Holly.

1. pylos26 profile image71
            pylos26posted 14 years agoin reply to this

makomony...why not just visit you local orphanage and adopt a few of the unaborted ones there. have you ever considered that o rituous one.

6. Lady_E profile image63
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

If Teens were counselled before having abortions, the figures might drop.

Teens see things short-term. There are lots of people who have had abortions and later in life wish they never, ever did it.
    If only they had someone to talk to at the time.

7. SandyMcCollum profile image63
    SandyMcCollumposted 14 years ago

Sure, adoption is an option, but you still have to live with the pregnancy, which is exactly what they don't want - everyone to know they are having a baby they don't want.

I'm NOT saying this is always the case, but in some cases. There are lots of reasons women have for having an abortion and I understand that.

8. William R. Wilson profile image60
    William R. Wilsonposted 14 years ago

I don't think anyone has a problem with adoption.  I can see where it would be a difficult choice for a woman - to carry a child for 9 months and then give up the baby to someone you don't know?  Sounds like a nightmare to me. 

My problem is with the idea that abortions are 'convenient'.  LOL! 

Instead of yammering about how horrible abortion is, why don't we all try to eliminate the things that make women want to have abortions:  poverty, drug abuse, lack of education/opportunities, etc.

I think that if every woman in this country knew that her baby would have proper healthcare and nutrition, a good education, and opportunities then abortions would go way down.

1. profile image0

How about we promote good moral behavior and abstinence? Abortion is a crummy solution to a behavior that should be with in the control of a reasonable person.

2. aka-dj profile image65
      aka-djposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think that word covers the reasons given for the 93%.
      It certainly would not be appropriate to call them necessary essential or unavoidable.

What word would you "classify" them under?

Why don't you put yourself in the shoes of a 16 year old pregnant girl, or an unmarried woman with no job prospects, or a woman who already has three kids and is struggling to make the mortgage payment every month. 

Convenient?  I think not.

1. aka-dj profile image65

You didn't answer my question.
          What alternative word would better describe the 93%?

2. aka-dj profile image65

No matter what the (above) circumstances you quote, it's the baby that pays with it's life (forfeited) to minimize the inconvenience/discomfort/expense (whatever) of the situation.
          Is the price worth it?
          I think NOT. sad

1. profile image0

Hear!Hear!

2. Amanda Severn profile image94

Quite apart from the teen mother, or the drug-addicted hooker, or the newly widowed army wife, or the desparate girl raped by her father, who else did you think would find abortion a matter of 'convenience'? Life isn't always black and white. Life isn't always a bed of roses. Sometimes it's a long, hard, unrelenting grind. It's easy to pass judgement, or to talk glibly about adoption.

3. h.a.borcich profile image61
          h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I admit there is a lack of support for women/girls who find themselves pregnant when it is inconvenient, but the choice for adoption is an acceptable option.
            When I was a sophmore I became pregnant and the father walked when I was 3 months along. Difficult as it was, I released that child for adoption. It has been 28 years, almost 29, but we both survived my inconvenient pregnany.
            Through the years I have volunteered with crisis pregnancy centers speaking with those who are inconveniently pregnant. Mostly they want to know if only a monster to give up her child, or how you cope with it years down the road. I tell them you wonder and you cry. I share with them that we both lived and try to help them choose adoption.
            I have met girls who have had two or three abortions and they are so wounded and emotionally scarred having used abortion as their means of birth control.
            Do I think abortion is always the wrong answer - I don't know. But I believe releasing for adoption has more survivors.
          Just my opinion, Holly

1. Amanda Severn profile image94

Good for you Holly, and well done for sharing your story, and helping girls in need. At least you are doing something in support of your beliefs.

9. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

You might be surprised to know that some married women get abortions too.

1. profile image0

I know my sister did. She fits right in with the rest of the free thinkers!

10. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I ran into these statistics the other day.  I found them interesting.

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/fb_induced_abortion.html

I found it kind of disappointing that the majority of abortions are performed on women over 20 and that only 17% are done on teen girls. (which is the group you'd think may not be mature enough to make good and sure no unwanted pregnancy occurs. 

As far as adoption goes, I'm an adoptive mother; and I'm pretty proud of, and sure of, the kind of childhood/relationship with me my son has had (so you'd think I think adoption is great (which, in ways I do).  Still, I've also had two children myself; and there's no way in "heck" I'd ever, ever, give away a baby I had.  What an absolute "horrow show", and there would be no way to know how good the adoptive parents might be.  It would just be real good if women would do a better job of making sure no unwanted pregnancy occurs.  It isn't that difficult.

1. profile image0

so better to kill it than let yourself suffer good idea

1. profile image0
        1. Lisa HW profile image62
          Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's what  you got from what I said?  I just said it isn't that difficult to make good and sure no "accidents" happen.    The grief that many birth mothers go through lasts for a lifetime, and many adoptees who get parents who just don't know how to manage to help them feel "solid" about being adopted go through a lifetime of mental turmoil as well.  I'm guessing you haven't experienced the grief of being separated from children you have given birth to.  I do, although the separation only involved their being brought out of the area by their father, who fought me for custody.  I worked for over 25 years to figure out the answers to the learning problems my son (the adopted one) had in school because he had a skull fracture and a bad prenatal environment from his birth mother.  Needless to say I don't think his birth mother should have aborted, by any means; but the only reason he was spared more effects of her rotten "mothering" was that he was taken away from her after he was abandoned by her.  So, he got a loving mother when he was adopted; but not all adopted children do.  If his birth mother had any unplanned pregnancies, I'm not sure other children  (yes, all worked out well for him, but that same may not have happened if she went on and had other babies that the state didn't know about before she cracked their skull too). wouldn't have been better off if they were aborted when she was 8 weeks along.

1. profile image0

yes that is all i got because what about when those kids who grow up have better lives and thats all i could think about.

i mean sure u have an excruciating painful childhood but then you grow up and make something out of yourself that is what life is about making something out of yourself look at all the celebrities that made something out of their terrible lives.

and yes i forgot to comment about the protection aspect and completely agree with you it's not hard to avoid these kind of accidental pregnancys and if your going to do it unprotected anyway then you'll just have to pay the consequences because that is also a part of life. just like driving while drunk you really can't stop people from doing it but you can make them pay the consequences in jail for killing that family while doing it do you follow me? i think i'm just ranting now so i should just post this and stay out of topics like this cause no1 wants to hear my opinions anyway

11. profile image0
    baconmidgetposted 14 years ago

please don't take my above post to mean that any1 who aborts should go to jail cause thats not what i meant at all i was just comparing things

12. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I like to hear the good adoption stories too.   smile

13. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

This whole topic is ridiculous.

14. Make  Money profile image65
    Make Moneyposted 14 years ago

Well that is the point I was making pylos26.  Families are having too hard of a problem adopting children in North America.  That's why they have to adopt kids from Russia or China.

1. pylos26 profile image71
      pylos26posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I just keep on thinking that the fee paid by those countries might have something to do with it. there is absolutely no reason people cannot adopt in america...unless of course they are of questionable character.

1. Make  Money profile image65
        Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is no fee paid by those countries like Russia or China.  It's just the opposite, families have to pay to get them out of there.  My friends are not of questionable character by any means.  Of the two that come to mind one is a fire chief and the other is an accountant.  One family adopted from China and the other from Russia because it was too hard here in North America.  The list to adopt here is endless because of so many abortions.

15. pylos26 profile image71
    pylos26posted 14 years ago

Well then!!! you didn't say that in the beginning!!!...a fireman and an accountant...not possble for those guys to be anything except pillars of the community.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)