The swine flu vaccine (mist)

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (26 posts)
  1. BeccaHubbardWoods profile image88
    BeccaHubbardWoodsposted 14 years ago

Here's my dilemma. My son's school is offering the swine flu vaccine in mist form for free. I have to sign a permission form before they will give it to him and I'm iffy on whether or not to let him have it. He's 5, by the way. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks ahead of time.

1. efeyas profile image74
      efeyasposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My daughter just received the swine vaccine from school, she is also 5. I also had to sign a concent form. Her school offered the shot as well as the nasal spray. I opted for the shot only because the vaccine in the shot is NOT LIVE. Whereas the nasal spray vaccine is LIVE, although weak, it is still live. I dont know how it will work for your childs school but parents were invited to attend and they kept the children out of class for 30 minutes after they received the shot to be monitored for any side affects. I saw over 100 children receive the shot/nasal spray, my daughter included, and there were no ill side affects. I hope this helped smile

2. apricot profile image65
      apricotposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi BeccaHubbardWoods!  I've only just seen your message - I very strongly advise you read up before getting the jab - if you've had this jab already ignore this, if you haven't go to
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r051fXtfng8

3. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well your son falls under the category of, if he got it, he would be fine just a little under the weather.
      I would say, it's not necessary.

4. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think it is an absolute must.  The virus tends to hit the youngest of our society.  x

2. TINA V profile image68
    TINA Vposted 14 years ago

To request for a signed letter of consent from the parents is a requirement for the school to comply before they can conduct the vaccine or anything that is not normal within the school activity.

If you feel uncomfortable signing it, I suggest you can talk to your son's teacher to get the details.  This will help you decide.

Have a great weekend!

3. BeccaHubbardWoods profile image88

Thank you efeyas and Tina V for your responses. Efeyas, did your daughter have any adverse reactions to the shot? We are not allowed to attend and they will not give the mist to any child who is resistant.

4. apricot profile image65
    apricotposted 14 years ago

Sorry that link wasn't working, try this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r051fXtfng8

(just don't bother watching it if you've already had the jab)

5. BeccaHubbardWoods profile image88

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you apricot. Thanks for the info!

6. Bovine Currency profile image60
    Bovine Currencyposted 14 years ago

there is no swine flu.  not being sarcastic, I really don't believe it exists.

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't believe it either... just the flu with a different name, yes?

1. Bovine Currency profile image60
        Bovine Currencyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

works for me.

2. DogSiDaed profile image61
      DogSiDaedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Never heard that viewpoint before, because it definately does... XD
      I don't see it as a current threat though. I've already had this strain so am immune to it

7. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

somebody died in Texas in relation to vaccine on swine flu, I may say if I were you, I will not make the consent

8. chambersgirl21 profile image61
    chambersgirl21posted 14 years ago

I would not give my kid either of the two. 1st off: This vaccine has not gone through all the testing it should have like other vaccines. 2nd Everybodys immune systems are different especially in little kids, Everybody reacts differently to vaccines. Back in the 70's they had this swine flu vaccine and they had to hault the operation of giving it out because it was linked to 500+ Guilliane Barre Syndrome which paralyzes the body and can kill you. 3rd. The company that has made this vaccine are not held liable for anything that happens due to the vaccine and have also announced that they themselves along with many doctors will not receive the vaccination.4th this flu virus is always mutating into different strands making the vaccine obsolete, so their is the probability that the vaccine wouldnt help anyways, so why take the risk.

My children and I will not be receiving the vaccine.

9. BeccaHubbardWoods profile image88

Here's another disturbing tidbit to add. After asking the school nurse if her children would get the mist she responded "No, absolutely not. I'm not going to get it either." But the department of education still insists we give our children these vaccines. I have made the decision that he will not get it and we will hope for the best.

1. apricot profile image65

Good for you!  You've made the right decision.

2. DogSiDaed profile image61

Hope is the word. I myself am concerned about how much everything has blown up in the news about vaccine danger, it happens every time there is a new jab. Not getting the vaccine is a bet really, with not wonderful odds. Of course, the current strain of Swine Flu isn't very dangerous at all compared to previous pandemics, and if a new strain arrives the vaccine probably won't help much. Those would be my grounds for not getting it, NOT that it's dangerous. There are always side effects to any vaccine, but if it's for something that can spread and kill thousands everybody should get it. I think currently the strain of H1N1 is too weak, but should a stronger form arise, everyone should be vaccinated from that. The issue is if this one could deal with said strain.

10. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

Swine Flu is no picnic and more children and young people die from it than from the regular seasonal flu. The chances of a child being harmed by the vaccine are WAY smaller than the chances of a child getting Swine Flu and becoming deathly ill.

There's another issue that doesn't get talked about very much, and it is this: People who deny their children vaccinations because of bad information they've picked up online, through the rumor mill, or from some celebrity put other children at risk. Diseases that were once nearly wiped out--like measles and whooping cough--are coming back now because some people have gotten this misguided idea that vaccinations are more dangerous than the illnesses they prevent and the idea is catching on.

I got a flu vaccine at work every year and every year listened to people go on about how dangerous vaccines are,  but I never got the flu until this year--didn't get the vaccine this year because I lost my job last year.

1. apricot profile image65

True - people sometimes get scared and lose a sense of proportion over these things.  But with the swine flu jab there's the fact that the pharmaceutical companies are granted complete immunity by the government - that in itself is an important point to consider.  Even if it is only a small proportion of people reacting badly to the vaccination (but I'm not sure that's the case judging by some reports, see http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8376534.stm for just one)it is rather like being up the proverbial creak without a paddle if at the end of it all the drug companies aren't even liable.  As far as I know it doesn't work like this with other vaccinations.hmm

1. DogSiDaed profile image61

It's gotta be about finding a balance really. We can't kid ourselves, either way people will die. But we have to choose which side of the fence the Doberman lives on, and which one houses the slightly pissed off Chihuahua. It's tough to see which way things are gonna go, but I'd side with the vaccine myself.

2. profile image0
        pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I live in a small suburb just outside of Kalamazoo, MI, where several major drug manufacturers used to be headquartered and where they still employ a large percentage of the local population. Michigan granted immunity to these drug companies for EVERYTHING so they would locate here, and several pulled out anyway. In other words, the state gave away the right to sue for any reason, and got screwed anyhow. The truth is that it is VERY hard to sue these companies and get anywhere with it no matter what the drug or vaccine, which is really, really messed up.

Still, I do believe the vaccines are for the good. I understand the skepticism, but in this case I think it's misplaced.

11. apricot profile image65

That's fair enough.  Mind  you, you may find that the Doberman isn't as scary as it's made out to be - even mainstream reporters are saying that swine flu cases have been greatly exaggerated  http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic … teria.asp.  You might find out that the Doberman's just a big softy.smile

But the fact that the drug companies are granted immunity is no minor point - even if it  isn't likely that that Chihuahua bites you, it's always nice to know that your back's covered if it does.  And they can have quite a bite on them.sad

12. apricot profile image65

That's interesting - yes, I can well imagine it's hard to sue the drug companies with the power they have.  Nonetheless, I can't say this knowledge is comforting.hmm   

In the case of the swine 'flu jab - there are just too many doubts over the safety of the vaccine.  To give a few examples - a great number of doctors and nurses are refusing to have it and some doctors openly declare its dangerous (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r051fXtf … r_embedded), a top neurologist in the Uk was quoted in the London Daily Mail saying 'I won't have a swine flu jab because of the Gillian-BarrĂ© Syndrome (GBS) risks' - and that's another important factor.  The jab in 1976 did cause numerous cases of GBS and, according to some sources, top neurologists in the UK  have this year been informed of a future increase in GBS.  Of course, these side effects might not be seen until much later and by this time, more than likely, won't be connected to the jab itself. 

All in all, it's a rather hazy painting and added to this, people, especially pregnant women and small children, are being strongly encouraged, almost coerced into having it - well, it's a rather unnerving picture. sad

Of course, what people decide to do in the end is their own decision but I really think they should be well informed before they roll up their sleeve.

13. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Maybe others on here are already aware of this, but people in my area stood in lines to get their young children immunized.  What they didn't know at the time was it would later be made clear that in order for a child to have immunity he would need a second immunization a month later.  That meant they all had to plan to stand in lines again. which wasn't the end of the world, but which wasn't what parents understood when they got their child's first immunization.  If I had a young child today, I honestly don't know what decision I'd make over it.  My own children are young adults, and it's their decision; but I still don't know if I'm hoping they get immunized or hoping they don't.

14. apricot profile image65

Hi Lisa HW!  For me, that information sums up the swine flu vaccination itself - it's lack of clarity from start to finish. 

I can understand it must be difficult for mums as, if all the other mums are having their children vaccinated, they're bound to feel pressurised.  And not just mums, people in general are used to following the majority - most of the time it's simply less hassle this way.  But when it comes to our own health we have to think twice before following the crowd - even if it does cost us a bit of hassle, it's a small price to pay.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)