Writing Score Up! Post a New Hub The Score Goes Down?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (59 posts)
  1. heart4theword profile image61
    heart4thewordposted 14 years ago

Am active on the forums, and getting a few new fans and joining up with a few writers...things look good.  Then when I post a new hub my points go down 2-3 points and creep back up within 2-3 days. 

Does anyone know why, do I need to post 2 new hubs at a time?  Am not able to post a new hub everyday yet.

Any encouragement out there?   Thank you:)

1. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I cant understand it either.. made me disheartened, actually.  I went right up to 82 and now look at me! Gee!

1. LiamBean profile image79
        LiamBeanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

shaz: Don't get discouraged. It just takes one "hot" hub go keep your score high. And so you know, I'm rarely 100, more often in the low to mid 90s. I was well below that until I wrote a hub that has had 22,000 views.

Before that hub I was in the 70s most of the time.

So don't be discouraged. You just never know when one of your hubs will resonate and rocket your score into the stratosphere.

1. profile image0
          shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would love to read your 22k hub.. what could it be?  Thanks for your words of wisdom x

That particular hub is called "How to Paint Fiberglass." Who would ever have though THAT would be a hot topic?

1. Danielle Farrow profile image71
              Danielle Farrowposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Brilliant!  Who would have thought that? - but perhaps it is so rare a subject, it stands out whenever someone does look.

This has been a very helpful thread, particularly - for me - the part about 'commercial hub' or not.  I, too, had assumed hubs were commercial if one had signed up for the various affiliate schemes.

Thanks all!

2. jimcain207 profile image65
      jimcain207posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't worry about the score since I can't figure out the spikes and dips. I realize I am new to hubpages and just a little fish in a big pond. I will keep writing and value the advice from my senior seasoned hubbers and strive to get better as I go. Meanwhile, I will have fun doing it.

2. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

You profile score can vary for no apparent reason at all sometimes! I would not worry to much about it really. It does not mean that much in the grand scheme of things here. My current score is 95, you would think I am a pretty good writer and earner, there are those with lower scores that write better then me AND earn more then me in less time! It does not really make any sense to me and I do not judge a person here on their score as they may be new, have lots of new hubs that have not yet had the chance to prove themselves and the hubpages scoring bot may just be attempting a joke, who knows?

Give yourself time and your score will almost certainly go up based on you giving an honest attempt to add value to the hubpages universe smile. The only score I look at and think, Wow!, is the 100's. I am still dreaming of the day that I will see one on something of mine here.....

3. bgpappa profile image78
    bgpappaposted 14 years ago

Welcome to the world of the fluctuating hubscore.  I was at 100 yesterday, down five today.  After a while you get used to it and stop worrying, but it takes some time.

The main thing is to produce quality hubs that get traffic.  The hubscore will stay pretty high if you do that.

1. kirstenblog profile image78
      kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Congrats on reaching 100!

4. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 14 years ago

I have noticed that mine goes down too when I post a new hub! This is strange because it used to increase your score when you posted a new one but not any more! I don't understand it but don't let it worry me!

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it could be that the newer hub starts out with a lower score and when averaged in with the others, it brings the score down until the search engine (hopefully) finds it and traffic picks up.
      my theory anyway. hmm   

the point is producing quality content so we bring in traffic and give the readers what they're looking for.

5. E. Nicolson profile image70
    E. Nicolsonposted 14 years ago

I'm glad to see all these comments. I had wondered at the strange dipping and soaring. It's good to hear that everyone seems to experience it.

1. profile image0
      Ken R. Abellposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ditto from me.  Yesterday mine started at 94 & when I posted it dipped to 89, then one point at a time climbed to whatever it is sitting at now. 

I was trying to figure it out, but decided that since I am mathmatically impaired I'd likely drive myself bonkers coming up with the formula.

Happy to hear others wondering about it.

6. Paradise7 profile image70
    Paradise7posted 14 years ago

Yeah, don't get discouraged.  It'll ping-pong, I think it takes 3 or 4 months to level out, and even then there's some inexplicable fluctuations.  Don't let it worry you, just do your thing.  It isn't a scoreboard, just a number.

7. sannyasinman profile image59
    sannyasinmanposted 14 years ago

It always amuses me that the people who say "don't worry about Hubber score" are the ones who already have a hubber score in the 90's to 100. It is obvious that the guys in the 80 to 90 range do worry about it, judging by the number of posts on the subject.

Is discouraging to me that, try as I might to write quality hubs, because my hubs are not conmmercial, I will probably never write a 22'000 views hub, and so I will never reach the revered echelons of the 95-100 club.

It is clear that Hubpages rates revenue potential and popularity with other hubbers more highly than writing quality. It took me a while to realise this, but it appears to be so.

It wasn't amusing to me either. My score was in the 70s for a very long time. I actually left for fourteen months. I'm not kidding. When I came back my score was through the roof...and I hadn't done anything...literally!

Most of my hubs aren't commercial either. They are informative. The few 'commercial' hubs I've written still don't do all that well.

I can't say what the "magic bullet" is. I honestly don't know. But I can say that writing with passion might just be the key.

Feel strongly about something? Say so!

By the way my top performing hub for the last two years has hits from; google.com, search.yahoo.com. google.ca (Canada), google.co.uk (United Kingdom), bing.com, google.com.au (Australia), hubpages.com, images.google.com (my trick is to name the photos after the hub), ask.com, google.co.in (India), google.co.za (South Africa), and search.aol.com.

In that order too. Google gives me my largest share of views. Add Australia, Canada, India, and South African Google and it leaves the others as just a small fraction of the total.

2. heart4theword profile image61
      heart4thewordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is another subject commercial hubs?  I thought that they don't want you to write commercial hubs?  Then what designates a commercial hub?

1. sannyasinman profile image59
        sannyasinmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

To my mind, one that brings in most revenue for Hubpages. They are not an altruistic organisation. They are a business and all businesses reward the biggest revenue earners.

Of course not! They are a "for profit" company. That still doesn't keep you from tying keywords to your hubs and allowing google to place ads near your hubs for their own use. If you become a google associate it can also pay. They pay associates for ad views or clicks that are associated with your work; whether you agree with the ad or not.

I do this and often end up with ads near my hubs that are in direct opposition to the subject.  I can't control that though.

2. LiamBean profile image79

As you are writing a hub you have the option of marking it commercial. There's nothing preventing you from writing a commercial hub. One, for example, that touts or promotes a particular product.

If you write such a hub just be sure to mark it "commercial" in the check box provided. This will keep you out of trouble.

Also, remember that it's a good idea to put a disclaimer somewhere in the commercial hub either stating that you were compensated for your review or that you were not.

Liam, thanks for your advice.
          Just one thing, do you mean that "normally" we should not mark hubs as commercial?

My hottest hub is on how to paint fiberglass. I do mention products in there, but a large number by various manufacturers.

Fiberglass paint is specialized so I "had to name names" so to speak.

Still I made an effort to name as many as possible and not recommend any one product or brand.

So it's not a commercial hub. Oh, occasionally someone will write me privately and ask for the best brand. I'll still give them three that I think are so close in quality as to not matter.

Most of my hubs aren't product recommendations. They are either information only or "how to" type hubs.

I have marked all of my hubs "This hub can be considered commercial". I assumed that this meant that I agreed for advertising to be displayed. Is this wrong then? Should I untick the box?

"This hub can be considered commercial" if you are touting or promoting a product. You'll get the advertising whether you want it or not.

Your Searching for Lost Souls in Hiroshima and The War of the Self-Righteous Mind aren't commercial.

What they are though is excellent!

But if you are ever in doubt mark that box anyway. That way you won't be "dinged."

By the way. Participating in these Forums will eventually get you fans too.

Like me big_smile

Thanks, you're a gent! smile

2. heart4theword profile image61

Wow, another answered question:)  I thought when the quote popped up and said this appears to be commercial, I thought that was a bad thing if the commercial box was checked.  Then too I did not know if that was referring to people who were trying to promote their own products or website or promoting other products and services. 

Your anwswer to that clear up a huge blurr for me!  Thanks again:)

3. LiamBean profile image79

So, I thought I'd take a look at your hubs.

Wow!

You have a mastery of the language there is no doubt. You also write with passion. As one of your commenters said "with gentle passion."

Please hang in there. I can't "get" you fans, but I can assure you that you'll be "discovered" sooner or later. And please remember, my score has been below 90 far longer than it has been above that number.

And let's be honest here. My score could fall again.

4. Jane@CM profile image61
      Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have to disagree.  I've never had over 30 pages views a day.  I've haven't made a dime from adsense or amazon.  I'm also not a popular hubber.  I do like to write though and that is enough to keep me here smile

So how do you account for your 96 score?

1. Jane@CM profile image61

To be honest, I have NO CLUE! smile

You give me hope!smile

Good!  Keep at it!  big_smile

2. LiamBean profile image79

I currently average 400 page views a day. I have written just over 100 hubs. I never know which hubs are going to be hot, which will be luke-warm, and which won't get a single page view for the day.

8. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I ping pong quite a bit!  I've learned not to pay much attention, although I will when I hit that 100 mark, I was so close yesterday big_smile

You'll get there Jane.

Thanks Liam smile

9. heart4theword profile image61
    heart4thewordposted 14 years ago

I just want to say to all of you thank your for responding:)  I feel better:)  Still allot to learn, I still haven't figured out how to get the feeds and url's etc...connected to my site?  But I'm not always as smart as the average bear:)  Thank you again for your words of encouragement!! Really appreciate you:)

10. Blogging Erika profile image67
    Blogging Erikaposted 14 years ago

I try REALLY hard not to get obsessed with my score, or the scores of any of my hubs.  I try to think of it as being like the tide, it carries all the boats up and down, think of the gentle rocking, try to breathe!

I do think that the "new hub drop" is because the new hub's score (probably 50) drags down your average.  I assume that the more hubs you have, the less the score of any individual hub matters. But who really knows how they're weighting the stats!

I have a personal rule that I only check my score once a day.  Sometimes I cheat, but at least that keeps me from constantly refreshing my profile page!

11. spease profile image59
    speaseposted 14 years ago

There doesn't seem to be any reason for what happens. I published a hub the other day, I then posted a link in a forum that I frequent for people to read the hub.  I got over 200 views in less than 10 hours.  My score dropped 4 points.  The hub went up to my #1 hub. Only 13 of the 200 views were from hubpages, the rest were from the forum.  Makes no sense.

12. profile image48
    HealthTipposted 14 years ago

Wowww a lifechanging event !

1. spease profile image59
      speaseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No.  Just weird.

13. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I usually notice that if post a new Hub or two my "overall" score goes down.  I've always just assumed that when new Hubs go in at 50 they bring the average down until the new Hubs gain a few (or several) points.

1. Sexy jonty profile image59
      Sexy jontyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think you are right Lisa HW .... On hubpages .... everything deals with the averages .....

14. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 14 years ago

I recently wrote a hub to promote a product. Can you please tell me, where is this check box you are talking about?

Upper left hand corner where the edit button is...once you click on edit you will see a area for settings, this is where it is at:)

1. Sue Adams profile image95
        Sue Adamsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, I'll chack it out.

2. sannyasinman profile image59

Open your hub.
      Click EDIT
      You are in the SETTINGS tab
      Third line down there is ADS
      In Ads there is a box labelled "this hub may be considered commercial"
      Tick it or untick it

15. Black Lilly profile image60
    Black Lillyposted 14 years ago

Forgive me please for a silly question, but... why do those scores matter?

I noticed those about a few minutes ago..My idea was to write here without any commercial interest, about something that I'm going through, dating and everything - I chose this site very randomly. Hope I made a right choice.

If you have come here to write about what you like to write about, and not to try and make money, then the scores will not matter too much to you.
      There are people here who write to make money, and others who write for their own pleasure. From what you say, and from the titles of your hubs, you are writing for yourself mainly. So do that and don't worry about the scores, Adsense etc.
      Enjoy!

2. profile image0
      Janettaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You certainly made the right choice!! HubPages is home to a variety of topics--some more commercial but many that are not. Check out some other hubbers and get a feel for some of the variety around here--we're all very different!! big_smile

The score isn't too much of a concern, really. It will fluctuate for the entire time u are here. 100 is the highest and difficult to attain. 75 and above is good for keeping traffic coming in. As a newbie- your score will gradually move up as you write hubs and participate in the community thru forum posts and comments.

16. tony0724 profile image60
    tony0724posted 14 years ago

I long ago quit worrying about the fluctuation In my scores . I do not get the Hubpage logic nor will I try to understand It . It Is completely elusive to me . I just write anyway as that Is my primary purpose here . And please do not forget to have fun In the process . If you base your self esteem on your Hubscore It removes the enjoyment . And I have said many times , alot of people take this way to seriously ! So write and enjoy !

17. Helen Cater profile image61
    Helen Caterposted 14 years ago

I stopped worrying ages ago as it fluctuates so much without much reason. It's a little like AdSense. You never know what is going on.

18. Black Lilly profile image60
    Black Lillyposted 14 years ago

Thanks for your answers wink
    Some topics on all that flirting/seduction/mating game have long been on my mind, and it actually feels really good to finally get them out.
    Must say I really like hubpages wink

19. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

LiamBean wrote:

"That particular hub is called "How to Paint Fiberglass." Who would ever have though THAT would be a hot topic?"

That's the thing about Hubs - the "how to's" and the Hubs that offer very practical information are the ones that do well.

My problem is that I don't know how to do too many things that other people already don't know how to do.  lol  My practical-information Hubs definitely do better than my "what-I've-noticed-about-one-thing-or-another-in-life" Hubs.  smile

I've learned some helpful hints following everyone's comments.  I did change a couple of hubs to commercial, after hearing from LiamBean..and those 2 hubs started going up again in numbers!  These were hubs that should of been commercial, but didn't know it was ok.  Thank you LimaBean!

20. The Rope profile image61
    The Ropeposted 14 years ago

Best 10 minute read! Some things I had thought were true were confirmed and my big question about page views was answered.  Thanks so much to you LB as well as all the other contributors!  I'm too new for my score not to drive me crazy but I'm sure I'll settle down.  Was really proud to have reached 93, now I'm down in the 80's again but my traffic on particular hubs is rising so the "bloom" is an offset.

Ditto to all the above.

21. PegCole17 profile image95
    PegCole17posted 14 years ago

This thread has answered some of the questions I've had as a (somewhat) new hubber. Still, I'm pretty clueless. Enjoyable to meet some hubbers I've not seen before as well. Thanks!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)