Philadelphia Eagles

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (26 posts)
  1. R.Edwards profile image61
    R.Edwardsposted 14 years ago

I'm not so sure that the Philadelphia Eagles aren't the best team in the NFC right now. I know the Saints and their undefeated season have a lot to say about that, but when it comes to the playoff race, I wouldn't hesitate in saying the Saints probably wouldn't even put up a good game.

Infact, I'm going out on the limb and saying (barring a major injury to Desean Jackson or McNabb) that the Eagles will make it to the Super Bowl.

There's no one on the Saints' secondary who can cover Jackson and that's all there is to say. The Eagles' defense plays with their ears pinned back when Donovan and company are aggressive on offense and if the Saints are squeeking away with wins now, they've got another thing coming when they face the Eagles.

At this point, the Eagles are playing better than any team in the NFC and if they meet the Vikings or Saints I'm not sure enough points can be scored or enough defense can be played to slow them down.

1. drej2522 profile image68
      drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm...As an Eagles fan, I would have to say that this is a bold statement. If we turn back the pages of history to last year...Eagles vs. Vikings in the NFC wildcard game...it was a tough battle. Sure the score painted a different picture, but it was no picnic. The Vikings practically had a nonexistent passing attack and they relied heavily on Peterson. In fact, if you subtract 2 key interceptions, I would dare say that Minnesota would have won the game. Now, jump back to present day, with Favre at helm (having a MVP type season) and a better defense, I think it would be a challenge for my Philly team to beat them in playoffs. Of course, I am aware that Philly has Maclin, Jackson, Mccoy, and even Vick, but I don’t think ‘we’ can match up. Our defense is suspect and the offense is too inconsistent...

2. jobister profile image61
    jobisterposted 14 years ago

I personally was disappointed with the way the Eagles defense played overall. They really couldn't stop the big plays for the Giants. If it was not for the turnovers the Eagles clearly would have been dominated. Giants had over 500 yards of total offense and that should never happen. I think the Eagles defense has a lot of work ahead of them.

Lately the Saints defense cannot stop anyone either. They are not getting 2-3 turnovers per game to solidify their wins. I don't see them going far in the playoffs because their bye week in the playoffs will most likely distract them and cause their demise. The Vikings are a legit team in my opinion they have balance with a good offense and a great defense. If the Vikings start resting their players they have a chance of losing the 2nd seed in the NFC and that's what I am hoping for. I can't wait for the playoffs!

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 14 years agoin reply to this

i agree if the eagles defense plays this sloppy against the saints, then they're going to lose.  because even in games when the saints defense didn't live up to par, they're offense was still unstoppable.  i have yet to see a defense shut their offense down throughout an entire game, this season.  that's why if the eagles want to prove they're better than the saints, then they're defense is going to have to step up big time; like we all know they can.  because you do not want to pressure McNabb to get into a quarterback contest with Brees.  not because mcnabb isn't as talented as they're both just as good, but because brees has more weapons than mcnabb has to work with.  that's why its critical the defense stops the saints.

i think its fairly obvious, the eagles are clearly the best team in the nfc east, but are they the best team in the playoffs?  we'll have to wait and see.

1. jobister profile image61
        jobisterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yup I agree, plus earlier in the season when the Saints defeated the Eagles, McNabb was injured and the offense turned over the ball 4 times. On another note check out this article on NFL.com http://adjix.com/psn6

1. profile image0
          Stevennix2001posted 14 years agoin reply to this

wow, thanks for the great read.  i do agree that out of all the teams in the nfc, the team that has the best chance of upsetting the saints and vikings, are the eagles.  as they do have the defense and balance on offense to do it.  however, a lot of it will depend on they're defense. if they're defense can shut down or at least contain both those teams, then they have a great shot at winning the superbowl, as i can't see anyone in the afc beating them to be honest.

3. dohn121 profile image82
    dohn121posted 14 years ago

The Giants had at least FOUR opportunities to win last night and blew it:

1) Michael Boley dropped a shoe-string shuttle pass that he could've have easily taken to the house

2) Mario Manningham dropped a rainbow pass from Eli--he had AT LEAST two-steps ahead of his defender (don't know his name).

3) After a Philly fumble, the Giants were in Philly territory--the Philly 30 yard line or so, which could've produced a touchdown due to the momentum of the game...

4)...But then Brandon Jacobs fumbled the ball.

As a Giants fan, I was disappointed with the lost--especially when the Giants Defense allowed McNabb and Co. to march 91 yards to paydirt in the fourth quarter.  We just couldn't stop him.  We had a chances and blew it.

I think the  biggest call was the Eli Manning fumble. If it was overturned then the Eagles would've definitely lost, phew!

1. dohn121 profile image82
        dohn121posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, that too.  But the Giants did have their opportunities--and that can't be ignored.  I think that Dallas will tank their season again and Philadelphia will win the NFC East.  The Giants can make the playoffs despite their loss.  Being that we swept Dallas, we would win in a tie-breaker.  We'll probably have to face off against you guys again in the first-round!

1. wavegirl22 profile image47
          wavegirl22posted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Giants still have a shot at that sixth spot, given the fact that the Cowboys have a hard schedule and Atlanta has all but faded from the picture. But without a Giant defense whats the use. The door opened in the Fourth when the BEagles had the ball on their own 9. We needed to stop them and they drove on us with ease, absolute ease.

Again . where is the D ??

Both of the Defense were on a early Christmas break. They both need to work on it or else none of those teams can hang with the likes of Vikings or Saints.

2. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image72
          EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Their were plenty of mistakes and big plays on both sides that did or easily could have changed the outcome. The Cowboys won't win more than one more game and even that is pretty iffy. The Packers and Giants will be the wild cards.

3. R.Edwards profile image61
          R.Edwardsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What chances will the Giants have to make the playoffs after they lose next week in Landover MD against the Redskins? I mean, won't that drop the Giant's record to 7-7? Wild Card possibly?

And where is it written that the Giants will lose to the Redskins next week?

1. dohn121 profile image82
              dohn121posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sweet Maria...The Giants won't lose to the Redskins.  This team has it's confidence back.  I trust that they will win, somehow or way.  The Redskins have nothing to play for except for the role of Spoiler.

@R.Edwards-You guys should've beaten the Saints and everyone knows it, including the Saints.

2. jimmie007 profile image60
      jimmie007posted 14 years agoin reply to this
  4. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image72
    EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 14 years ago

Right now, I would put the Eagles no. 3 behind the Saints and Cards.

5. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

Saints, Vikings, and Cardinals are all much stronger than the Eagles so far.  The Eagles can score, but that Defense is awful.

6. Granny's House profile image63
    Granny's Houseposted 14 years ago

I am not a fair weather fan. I am an Eagles fan no matter what. GO EAGLES

7. R.Edwards profile image61
    R.Edwardsposted 14 years ago

The Redskins will beat the Giants because of their defense will win the field position game. The Giants' D has been exposed all season long after opening up 5-0. I'm not sure if Phillips is back in the secondary, but regardless, the defense of the Giants has not stepped up to the plate like the Redskin's defense.

I think this game will come down to who's defense plays harder overall.

Redskins 32
    Giants 23

8. wavegirl22 profile image47
    wavegirl22posted 14 years ago

What the Redskins need to win the upcoming game is R.Edwards on the field with them, because as much as we can all hope that our team wins and plays their best. . R. seems to know something that no one else knows! We can all predict, guess whatever but R. is talking with such affirmations in the "will beat" and

Should have, could have but didn't.

Just remember this is the NFL and one thing we can all be sure of is this.. . Expect the unexpected!

I am backing everything that Dohn had to say a few boxes up .. dont count the Giants out. . .at least not yet!

1. R.Edwards profile image61
      R.Edwardsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol...ouch, you are bad! I take momentum over expectancy any day. And right now, the Redskins have momentum over the NY Giants. Same deal back in '07 when the Skins went 5-0 in the last 5 games to sneak into the playoffs. They had to face Peterson and the Vikings and everyone predicted a blowout, the Skins wouldn't even give a good game. However, like I'm saying now, the Skins have the momentum and will win the game based on hard play from their defense.

So on that note, if I could offer any help to my Redskins, maybe an analytical point of view of the game before kickoff to get them hype...I'll do it!

9. tony0724 profile image60
    tony0724posted 14 years ago

I think the Vikings will have alot to say about that one. And do not for get Green Bay playing excellent on both sides of the ball. GO CHARGERS !!! big_smile

10. profile image0
    baconmidgetposted 14 years ago

GO GIANTS!

11. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image72
    EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 14 years ago

This time next month, the Eagles will be celebrating their third victory over the Giants this season.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)