Can anyone think of a title for this?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (40 posts)
  1. DogSiDaed profile image61
    DogSiDaedposted 14 years ago

I left the tunnel for the light,

Forever it seemed our lives in darkness dwelled,

You pushed on for the greatest heights,

I was confined by stone.

Throughout our blissful ignorance we swayed,

The colours fading on our days,

This life’s too small for us to say it all,

And so we part without a word.

Blinkered by each other’s shadows,

We fought to hide each other from the world.

Let falling stars not block our path,

We chanted through our minds.

(chorus)

Forget the fallacious part we played!

Two lovers fighting each other,

We wielded our love against one another.

I turned my cheek ten thousand times,

You beat me down with gentle rhymes,

The laughter and the flowing tides;

The place where love and hate collides.

Hi, I put this up for two reasons, one to maybe provide a small sample of what I do, but mostly for the purpose of deciding upon a title. All suggestions appreciated ^^

1. aware profile image67
      awareposted 14 years agoin reply to this
  2. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

"Turned my cheek ten thousand times"  sounds great to me.  Nice, very nice.  I like it.

3. pay2cEM profile image82
    pay2cEMposted 14 years ago

Where love and Hate Collide

or

Shadow Boxing

1. profile image0
      Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with pay...Where Love and Hate Collide would make a nice title for this one

2. Google Gal profile image59
      Google Galposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The first idea seems perfect to me, since it would wraps things up nicely and bring the entire poem together wonderfully ,

4. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

Rubicon Romance

5. wrenfrost56 profile image55
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

Don't know about a title sorry, although the other suggestions are good. Great piece though. smile

6. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

I love
    "Rubicon Romance" but I don't think that many people would get its meaning. However, that may be all the more reason to use it.

I like "Where Love and Hate Collide" but it's a bit predictable, isn't it?

Poppa's suggestion seems to be consistent, to me, with the kind of images you use.

Great poem, btw.

DogSiDaedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The only issue with that is I don't understand its meaning XD
      True, it is predictable, I'll leave the discussion open and think some more myself as well XD I'll decide tomorrow smile

1. Daniel Carter profile image62
        Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've heard the phrase but was unclear myself, so I looked it up. Rubicon basically means "point of no return." Here's the dictionary definition if it helps you decide:

Rubicon is a 29 km long river in northern Italy. The river flows from the Apennine Mountains to the Adriatic Sea through the southern Emilia-Romagna region between the towns of Rimini and Cesena.

"Crossing the Rubicon" is a popular idiom meaning to pass a point of no return. This phrase is often used by journalists in newspapers. It refers to Caesar's 49 BC crossing of the river, which was considered an act of war.

Since the river has changed its course many times through the years, it is impossible to confirm exactly where the original Rubicon flowed when Julius Caesar crossed it.

7. dyonder profile image73
    dyonderposted 14 years ago

Dunno, tombs, duet, or screaming epitaph - maybe. Enjoyable to read, thanx 4 sharin.

8. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

you and me equal we

9. Haunty profile image73
    Hauntyposted 14 years ago

I think, if you know what the poem is about, then you might want to think up a title that comes closest to describing that, instead of asking others. IMO

Yes perhaps, but regardless it's still interesting to see what it makes people think of, and there are a couple of good suggestions smile

1. Haunty profile image73
        Hauntyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like the poems, as I said earlier. And it's interesting that we both think that Lyrics to a friend doesn't sound like a sufficient title for this.

Lyrics to a Friend isn't a title tongue They literally are lyrics I wrote for my friends band, although I don't think he's going to use them any more. No matter eh?

Hey, do you ever explain your poetry? I'm very curious what stone means in 'I was confined by stone.'

I don't usually, for two reasons. One is that sometimes the true meaning could be quite specific to me, but mainly I like to leave poems open for people to take what they want from it; and interpret it how they wish. Although if you really wanted a breakdown I could probably explain it in a message smile

If it's not very personal and you have the time I'd like to get that message. Then I could tell you what I make of it myself. smile

Oh and btw, Janetta has just this to say about her poetry. I once nagged her to explain her poem 'Waves' too. big_smile

I sent a brief message to you on the first verse... Although it pained me hmm Imagine some loose tangled string. Those are my thoughts. To write the poem I tie the string in such a way that it can only be undone by cutting it. When I analyse parts of my poems, it's like cutting out one of the loops, and it goes back into my head as random mess... I hope you understand what I meant by that XD

I do. And you know there is always the option of sending me to Hell when I ask such a thing. wink Btw, I got your mail and was about to reply. I just came back to read the first verse once more before I do it.

10. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

I wouldn't dare suggest a title, but just want to say I was bowled over by this poem. I hope you are a known name in the poetry world; you certainly deserve to be.

Thank you! smile I'm not a known name XD This is the first time I've shown anything on a broader scale than to a few select friends, just to see what people think, I'm glad you like it smile

11. DogSiDaed profile image61

How about 'Mercurial Love'?

Kinda appeals to me...

Much closer than those suggested before  in my interpretation of the poem.

12. bill yon profile image72
    bill yonposted 14 years ago

Whisper

13. Countess Batula profile image61
    Countess Batulaposted 14 years ago

I am new to this forum not sure how to 'quote' yet but I thought I will reply my interpretation of this poem.

It seems 2 lovers - one was happy and doing what they wanted - maybe successful, and the other one was not happy. While they still loved each other, they had too many differences so they parted ways. So if this was correct then I'd suggest a title which would describe "to love but to war" or "we love - but we are being pulled apart but other forces".

I hope I don't sound dumb LOL n totally off track tongue

Thanks for taking the time to think about it, I really appreciate that smile

Well, if that's what you get from it then it's what it means to you smile That's why I wrote it the way I did, everyone can take their own twist on it, perhaps personal meaning even. I like giving people the chance to imagine, rather than always being set strict boundaries to think to smile

Thanks for the title suggestions by the way. I have now in fact settled for 'Mercurial Love' but thanks again for taking the time to try and help a fellow hubber out big_smile

1. Countess Batula profile image61
        Countess Batulaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Testing to see if I can quote LOL - ok congrats on finding a title for your poem!

2. DogSiDaed profile image61

Oh and under the comment you are viewing there is a small button marked 'quote/reply'

clicking that quotes that comment, then simply write yours underneath smile

14. HubCrafter profile image59
    HubCrafterposted 14 years ago

You might try "Heartsleeve Romance".

The attraction of opposites leads to passion, romance and conflict.

HubCrafter

15. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

" Two Lovers" smile

16. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

"Man From Nantucket"

17. DogSiDaed profile image61

Thanks very much to everyone for their suggestions, I have decided upon 'Mercurial Love' for the title, but all your suggestions are brilliant too and much appreciated! smile

Mercurial Love is completely off. What made you think the poem was about mercurial love? wink

Hahaa, well it was actually a good friend of mine looking over my shoulder who suggested it. (Not that I should have been on here I should have been working) He just said it, kinda offhand, and I thought, yeah I like that! XD

18. BEAUTYBABE profile image68
    BEAUTYBABEposted 14 years ago

I thought you might like to think about these titles:
    "Parting of the ways"

"Our Wounded Hearts" 

""Two Hearts in Jeopardy"

I don't know whether you like these or not but they just came into my head. BB

19. heart4theword profile image59
    heart4thewordposted 14 years ago

a thought  "To Let Go, and Love!" 
    "To Let Go, in Love!"

"It's Time To Live and Let Go!"

20. Daniel Hicks profile image60
    Daniel Hicksposted 14 years ago

I vote for Where Love and Hate Collide.

Very nice job.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)