Trolless thread?

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (87 posts)
  1. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 14 years ago

Why can't Hubpages have a thread prohibited to trolls or members using an alias?  It seems trolls can have threads closed because of personal attacks so we should have a thread banned to them. 

We should not be bothered with those hiding behind a false name.  They clutter up discussions with no accountability at all.  This seems to suck.

1. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah! Oh, wait, sorry.

Randy Godwinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Glad you agree with me Tex!

1. profile image0

"Whenever you need me I'll be there." (singing it)

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oOo, much in the way that radio shows screen callers, like 'do you have an on-topic point?', that sort of thing?

yes, that would be nice. i have often wondered why people can get away with so many different accounts IF THEY ARE KNOWN TO ABUSE THE PRIVILEGE and why they just don't restrict certain IP addresses to one account name.

it's funny you should mention trolls. i was going to post a song just for them today, but i got busy. i will post it though, so as not to hijack this thread.

Perhaps only allowing one alias per member to have the ability to post on the forums would help somewhat, but why can't we have discussions where the posters are known and can be held accountable for their posts,  There is no good reason for allowing one member to post in different names.

1. profile image0

i see what you are saying. i have seen this happen several times: someone gets into a skirmish with another hubber in the forums and wants to tell them off but they don't want to risk embarrassing themselves i guess, so they create a fake account and go gunning for that person, who has to guess at their identity, which is pretty smarmy. i believe Darkside coined the term 'sock puppet', which fits, IMHO.

p.s. i see nothing wrong with multiple identities when the people tell everyone who they are, as tantrum does. she is very open and i appreciate that.

I agree with you as long as we know one person isn't using another alias to back up their own statements.

Personally, I can't understand what everyone is afraid of.  Accountability perhaps?

3. aware profile image68
      awareposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i dont ban books

I'm not aware you've been accused of this.

4. tantrum profile image61
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you want to be real, why don't you use your own face for an avatar ?
      I have my real me in the avatar and an alias for a name.
      So?
      what's more real ? Your name or my pic?

I have no problem using my photo here or anywhere.  My wife requested that I not do so because I am so damn handsome.

2. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

It does suck but you know - same sh*t different day smile

Don't let it bother you. Many hubbers simply ignore their attempts to stalk, hawk and spit venom.

Ignorance isn't always bliss. But it sometimes allows others to potter on without too many hiccups wink

I disagree of course.  Different sh*t, different days.  Why should we have to put up with this crap?  What contribution does some of these people give to topics when they are afraid to post under their own names?  They can also be posting against each other which further destroys any progress in reaching any sort of compromise or agreement on the particular topic.

Tell me why you think this is okay and needed.

1. profile image0

How do we know you are using your real name? I'm sure you are but you see my point, don't you?

I can see why someone would use an alias for their hubs but there is a difference when posting in the forums.  Yes, I use my real name and if I didn't I would not plaster the opinion of a non-existent person all over the forums.  Especially in the political or religious threads. 

I would feel fine registering with hubpages with proof of my name to be able to participate in a thread with those not scared to do the same.  For all we know some of these trolls could be here to sway opinion on important site matters.  Not saying this is happening but it would be a simple thing to do.

1. profile image0
            EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think this idea is using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.  And I for one don't want to use my full name on here, and don't see why I should have to.

As one or two other people here have said, if you just simply refrain from "feeding" an internet troll, they nearly always stop bothering you. For the really serious cases of harassment (which are mercifully rare), you can report it to the HP staff who would hopefully close the culprit's account down.

So why would you care if others, who weren't afraid to use their real identity, had a thread to communicate on?  What difference would this make to you?

1. profile image0

I'd care if it was a thread I wanted to participate in but wasn't allowed to because I prefer to use the name EmpressFelicity rather than my real one.  One of the things I like about HP is the freedom to express one's opinions. It doesn't sit well with me when people come up with ideas to restrict that.

Take a look around you at the people on this forum.  You will find loads of people with "non-real" names who engage in intelligent, reasoned discussion.  Making someone use their real name isn't going to raise the bar here IMO, and will no doubt put a few people off from posting.

Sorry, this idea has no legs as far as I'm concerned.

I am not surprised you do not like the idea.  There are also those who are not hiding behind an alias when stating an opinion here.  Do you care if someone is using two or more accounts to argue against your opinion?  Or do you really want everyone to have alias's so you never know exactly what you are dealing with?  How is this productive?

1. profile image0

"...after all, you're a cat posting under a pseudonym.  What else would you expect from a bloody pseudonymous cat?"  lol lol 

I can't say it's ever happened to me... or if it has, I've been blissfully unaware of the fact.  So really, I'd have to say I don't care. 

I don't want everyone to have aliases.  I want everyone to have the choice of whether they use an alias or their real name.  Big difference.

You never really know 100% what you're dealing with on the Internet anyway, IMO.  Even people who post under their real names may well be presenting an edited version of themselves.  (That's not directed at you personally, BTW.)

What do you define as "productive" on a forum like this, anyway?

2. kirstenblog profile image78
                  kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I thought your real name was EmpressFelicity sad
                  I also thought you were a cute furry kitty channeling through your human familiar.

1. profile image0

lol

2. Cagsil profile image70
                    Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

3. LOT2DO profile image41
    LOT2DOposted 14 years ago

Sorry to say, I think trolls are inevitable hmm

4. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

Did you say something and I missed it?

5. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I can vouch for the snake - that's his real name.

6. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

And BTW, "habee" is my real name: H. Abee, for Holle Abee.

I can vouch for the child riding the horse!

1. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Funny, RD! Did you read my new hub about saddle breaking a Great Dane?

Nope, but I will!

7. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

What about me? wink

It depends, why do you an alias?

8. aware profile image68
    awareposted 14 years ago

it was ment to say i dont ban things like trolls either

9. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

And who cares ?
    When I see alter egos, I choose If I answer to them or not.
    Live and let live.
    Anyway I prefer a funny troll to serious boring hubbers posting never ending threads.

1. profile image0

i care.

and i'll tell you why.

in another thread.

1. tantrum profile image61

Maybe you take life more seriously than me lol
        hi cosette ! smile

10. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Define troll.

Are you talking to me, sneak ?

1. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No Ma'am. I'm trying to figure out if I'm one.smile

Well, you're not
          And I'm not
          So we're OK big_smile

11. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Since, I find this thread to be pretty dumb, I am going to respond, because the generalization I've read throughout this entire thread so far has me a little unsettled about it and is forcing me to propel forward a piece knowledge, so as to achieve understanding.

I see that the thread talks about those who don't use real names versus those who use made up screennames? The person who opened this thread is looking to separate people, because they either sound differently or express a different opinion. It doesn't matter how or why these people come to forums, but the simple fact that they do, with the expressed permission of HubPages and the freedom of speech.

As for you - Mr. Godwin- your disrespectful display shows your ignorance and lack of understanding about Life. I'm am saddened for you and quite disappointed by your actions of this thread. Then your attitude that your words form, that seem to make you think that you are better than others.

And, the TRUTH of that matter is and has become quite obvious, that you are no better than the trolls themselves. If you care to come at me, please do it with more than the fact I'm "hiding" according to you, behind a fake name and not using my real name. And, just in case you haven't read my Hubs, which I know you haven't, then You would know I don't hide behind my screenname, because my proper name is on some of my Hubs.

So, please, take your self-inflated ego and your misguided perceptions about what you think you know about people and get a grip or a hold of yourself, and try to be a more compassionate, loving and understandable person. Yes, I realize my words will be upsetting, but like YOU, I don't care.

Have a great day.

12. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

that i do.

hi sweetie.

well, if Randy doesn't mind i will just post my song here, rather than open a whole 'nother thread. i gots two more hubs to write yet and don't feel like dealing with angry mobs heh. wink

Fine Cosette.

1. profile image0

thank you.

this one goes out to all of the trolls and sockpuppets who haunt the internet and nice communities to spread discontent and conduct general tomfoolery. this song is also for general drama queens (queens can be men, just so you know) who imagine slights against their person where there is none and who construct elaborate plots in their heads and go on personal vendettas against people who have done nothing to them but who, to their misfortune, become unwittingly responsible for said drama queen's discomfort and lot in life brought on by the drama queen's own dubious imagination. rather than participate in a positive manner and work hard to help make the site they occupy and their own portion of it a success, they prefer to remain in the shadows, leaving graffiti on the walls and accosting people on the subways of HubPages. that's my take on it anyway.

Lunatic Fringe - Red Rider

(great song, by the way)

1. Richieb799 profile image74
          Richieb799posted 14 years agoin reply to this

what we have is kings, drama queens and trolls in this hubpages castle big_smile big_smile

1. profile image0

now we just need a dragon wink

1. wyanjen profile image72
              wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I summon...
              YOSHI97
              lol

1. profile image0

big_smile

i wish i could summon magic creatures like that. that would be pretty cool. or live at Merlin's house, where the teapot and bedwarmers walk and talk wink

smile Talking teapot, chairs strolling around, cuckoo clock singing on the wall smile

Pee Wee's playhouse?

13. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I can vouch for that, too! All the other men on HP would be jealous.

1. Cagsil profile image70

I'm glad to see that you can vouch for how I would feel. It is nice to see that you're in my head, heart and emotion structure. However, I'm confident, that there is NO MAN on this planet, for which, I would be jealous of, for whatever reason.

But, Thanks for playing. big_smile lol cool big_smile

1. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

C'mon, Cags - it was a joke!

HORMONE problems ! lol

2. Cagsil profile image70

Joke or not a joke, my statement still stands. I'm jealous of no one. big_smile

2. wyanjen profile image72

...not even Satan Spock?

Not even him. lol

Hey Jen,

How are you today?

It's all good in Detroit today. A little wind & rain, but no snow. smile

There has got to be somebody you are jealous of. Maybe even just one quality that a person has? Maybe a woman instead of a man?
            How about somebody fictional.
            lol

Believe it or not, there is no one. Jealousy is an irrational emotion, for which needs to be keep in check or controlled.

As for the weather in my neck of the woods, it started snowing early this morning, but has since turned to sleet. big_smile

Sleet, I can handle. Icy rain, frozen streets, bring it on!! lol
                But I am absolutely dreading a heavy snowfall this year. There is not enough money for the snowplows to run the entire season, and my place is surrounded by streets that go two ways but only have one lane. It's a frickin' nightmare trying to drive in this neighborhood with 3 or 4 inches of unplowed snow.

So, you say that jealousy needs to be kept in check. That means it's there, it's just being squashed.
                If you follow my theory, you'd let irrational emotions take over sometimes. That's when all the fun starts lol

14. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Maybe so, Tantrum.

big_smile

15. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

Couldn't resist trolling the trolless thread. lol

Nothing like stating the obvious, huh? lol lol j/k big_smile

1. profile image0
        sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nothing like beating around the bush eh Ray. lol  smile

Nope, nothing like it. lol

2. wyanjen profile image72

lol lol

16. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Cags, I'm so sorry! I certainly meant to offend no one.

Thank you Habee, but you've not offended me, because of the comparison. It's not worth getting offended, but I also wanted to make my position clear.

So, no problem. big_smile

1. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're name is Ray? A family name?

17. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

OK, Cags. Glad we're cool!

18. h.a.borcich profile image60
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

Hi everyone....and this is my real name smile

Hello back at you!  I'm glad you are using your real name.  It seems hard to find real folks to deal with these days, both on line and on the phone.  I guess this is considered progress for some.

19. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

lol

YOU BET !

20. bojanglesk8 profile image62
    bojanglesk8posted 14 years ago

DON'T FEED DA TROLLS.

21. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

Cowboy Curtis was pretty cool OH yeah!

(i got the author's name wrong - it was T.H. White. aargh, i hang my head in shame neutral)

22. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 14 years ago

I have been informed of a respected member being banned because of a well known troll's complaint against this person.  I have emailed HP staff of my disgust concerning this event.  The person banned uses their real name in posts and hubs while the troll hides behind a fake name and gives incorrect information regarding his/her identity and is well known for causing trouble on other sites as well.

As I formerly stated, I have no problem with members using several accounts for business purposes but the forums are a different thing altogether.  A member should not be allowed to hide behind HP's skirts while creating strife among the members who state opinions under their real names.

These trolls serve no useful purpose as it is entirely possible they are posting in the same thread under different names.  I have witnessed this scenario before.  This stinks to high heaven and does not make one have confidence in a business which allows such behavior.

The least HP could do is have someone come on the forums and explain the reason for allowing such behavior and why this is tolerated.

1. profile image0

Just curious, "respected" by whom?

The respectable!

2. profile image0

well, i have often wondered why members' IP adrresses are visible when they comment your hubs, but not visible elsewhere. i think that if people's IP addresses were visible in their forum posts, and when they flag hubs up or down, as well as when they report stuff, that would certainly clear up a lot of misunderstandings around here and a lot of false accusations being made. the IP would only be visible to VERIFIED members who are logged on.

people who hide and do malicious things to others cause all kinds of strife and misdirected anger, etc. and should be held accountable for what they do. they post antagonistic stuff, flag people's hubs down, and all kinds of stuff and they sit in silence while other people get blamed for it. part of that problem rests on the people making the false accusations as well - instead of making arch comments in every post alluding to their imaginary conspiracy, why not ask the HubTeam to tell you who is flagging your hubs or trolling after you etc? they can see everyone's IP address and the source of every login session, right?

no, they would rather just assume and then spread their false assumptions as truth, which is pretty smarmy in my book, and it gets old. i'm just glad these people are maybe 1% of the people in this community, at least. but that doesn't mean the sight of them (people wrongly accusing others) still doesn't make me sick :x

23. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

I think turning someone in is so disrespectful that both parties should be suspended. I have been shown the door three times and the other person was equally culpable. I don't know about the fake name stuff but if you can't take the heat go knit something.

24. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

I would say that the respected member is the one who does the following. The respected member is the one who belittles and starts most of the problems and then whines to hubpages staff.

Gee Tex, I didn't know Texas had a different dictionary than other states.  No wonder Bush had trouble with words.  I suppose respect has a different meaning in the Texas dictionary as opposed to Webster's edition.

What's your prediction on the Alabama vs Texas game?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)