Did Neanderthals have a soul?

Jump to Last Post 51-72 of 72 discussions (249 posts)
  1. Bovine Currency profile image60
    Bovine Currencyposted 14 years ago

What is the opposite of bliss?  I will have that.

1. aguasilver profile image70
      aguasilverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi BC, you already have it, if ignorance is bliss, then knowledge is to no longer have bliss.... something we share if nothing else!

No I am not 'innocent' in any manner or form, and my 'Christian walk' is also far from perfect, but it's improving, because 25 years ago I would have had someone like him converted to a bacon sandwich.... neutral

Bovine Currencyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why is it you feel the need to attack MK?  From where I am sitting MK gets a lash almost daily.  The guy doesn't like religion, so what?  You and yours don't like life without religion, so what?  If you cannot have an intellectual debate without some integrity, why bother?  I am nobodys chum here, I am on no teams.  I can agree and disagree with others without hiding behind some overarching philosophy.  I have had disagreements with religionists and athiests and I am neither but I can put things aside.  I would just find it amazing if I saw one of the militant christian club back down, for once, right or wrong, just back down.  You do yourselves no favours.

Who is worried about favours?

I don't feel any need to attack MK, but I do react when he attacks me or my posts with his inane commentary.

I can discuss and debate, but like you, I pay in the same coinage I am paid with.

I am not alone in being peeved about the way MK mouths off about whatever he thinks to add his sound bite to, and expects that his dismissive, insolent tone will just be accepted because he has a high scorecard and friends in high places, well the hubs supposedly a free zone to express opinions and that's what I'm doing.

I personally will ignore his baiting and sniping in future, he's not worth it and in any case when you strike a blow he cries foul, and his cronies follow suit.

Life's too short, there are hubs to write for people to read who want to hear what is said.

As for "The militant Christian Club" why would they back down?

The members know that the bible is correct, what's to back down from?

But I have seen and will no doubt see in the future that Christians apologise or 'back down' if they recognise that scripturally they are in error.

Christians care about Christ, God, the Bible in terms of staying inoffensive, the world finds Christ offensive anyway, so why worry?

I would rather you do not liken yourself to me. 

We are nothing alike.

You are very confused.

Re: Christ as offensive.  It is not Christ agua, it is the fraudelent religion and deaf-eared, one-eyed crackpots.

So be it.

2. Bovine Currency profile image60
    Bovine Currencyposted 14 years ago

agua is hardly the most innocent "christian" on these forums

3. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

It's like trying to reason with a cloud of gnats!

you reason now?

1. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you present any argument from the religious perspective you have all the different gnats hovering waiting for you to slip up so they can point their finger and hollar hypocrite.

Righto.  Is this not OK?  What if the case presents that you are a hypocrite and it is you whom points the finger or hovers around like a gnat?

2. Ben Zoltak profile image81
      Ben Zoltakposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL

4. profile image0
    Will Bensonposted 14 years ago

My original question (you can look it up) was prompted by, what I understand is a teaching of modern fundamentalist Christianity...that souls are saved through the suffering and death of Jesus. I couldn't square that with the idea of a whole race of humans that disappeared long before Jesus. I hoped some believers (and non-believers too) would weigh in and present their thoughts.

I study and occasionally write on Christianity, religion in general, atheism etc., so this is of interest to me. I think more opinions would be expressed here if the flaming rhetoric were toned down.

We all have our opinions and maybe can share some with less rancor.

Anyway, thanks for the opinions expressed so far. Pax.

I feel your pain Will, blogs are like a tangent vine that grows off a bump on a log.

I love Jesus, I believe he is a redeemer and a helper for those that seek it.  I also believe though, that The Great Spirit (or the Father) is all forgiving. That salvation is a temporal manifestation, not an infinite one. I was raised under the iron fist of a Catholic upbringing which taught (as many bible belt Christians also teach) that those not saved would burn in an eternal hell fire forever and ever. This is, to use your words, the "flaming" language that I will forever associate strict Christianity with, and evidence of the hidden motivations of most Evangelists. 

In my book everyone goes to Heaven, everyone is saved.  The slugs, the Neanderthals, the Israelites, The Nazis, even the Republicans, although sometimes I wonder. Mostly, not being "saved" to me, is a human expression of revenge. Revenge for not investing in someone else's fervently religious point of view.

My favorite Christian and/or Abrahamic expression is that of the Rapture. I interpret the Rapture not as hellfire, which so many Christians seem to be experts about.  But instead, I see the Rapture as the vigorous collaborative union of the Great Spirit and the spirits of this world, a rapturous dance and thunderous creation of revelry for this miracle we call existence.

I think Will, it comes as a surprise to many Americans that a lot of the world isn't Christian. So to ask for a strictly Christian debate on an Internationally populated website would be like going to Iran and gathering a bunch of people together and telling them you want their opinion about being saved, but only their Christian opinion about it.

I do hope you find what you're looking for here.  I think your inquiry inspired a lot of spirited dialogue amongst strangers, what could be better than that?

5. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

maybe they have a soul, but they are not aware of it yet,

6. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Gee, Randy, Ben, Presigo, Earnest, and I were having a perfectly civil conversation, and then I leave for a couple of hours to do some Christmas shopping, and look what happened!

You guys simply cannot be left unattended. Too much testosterone, I tells ya! (As Earnest would say.)

1. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What would Earnest know about testosterone? I am sure he and Mark are well versed in estrogen but testosterone?

Did I say that?

LOL habee, testoterone: it's what's for dinner!

I just started another forum called:

We're winning the war on drugs or God doesn't make mistakes

I invite everyone here to comment, I'd love to hear your rancor!

Check out the song it was inspired by, you will enjoy it, I promise.

7. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

See, Tex - not playing nice again! I'm gonna have to put you in the corner.

Ben, I'll check it out.

1. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ive been working on my social skills, come on don't punish me

8. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 14 years ago

GENERALLY SPEAKING.... If you believe in a soul, then many think that everything has a vibration that they label a soul.  Neaderthal's, just like every living thing, therefore, must have a soul.  x

9. alexandriaruthk profile image68
    alexandriaruthkposted 14 years ago

they have a soul indeed

10. Paradise7 profile image70
    Paradise7posted 14 years ago

Sure they did have a soul.  They're human, right?  So why not.  I think there are other groups of people that never had the chance to become Christian, and in all fairness, they aren't going to be damned for something they didn't know about.

11. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 14 years ago

Some detest the thought of this life being the end of their awareness, never thinking of the time before they first achieved it. It is the same.

12. profile image0
    AdviceDoctorposted 14 years ago

They did have souls. Well, technically a "soul" doesn't exist, a soul is your feelings, and Neanderthals did have feelings. So yeah, they had souls.

1. mohitmisra profile image60
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Soul is not ones feelings.

1. profile image0
        AdviceDoctorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, your soul is your feelings, your conscience and all that crap. You're talking to a shrink, buddy.

13. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

There is a cafe. smile

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
      Randy Godwinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And the credits!

14. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Ah, a couple of my favorite guy pals here! Earnest, is it a Hard Rock Cafe??

1. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol No habee, it is from the hitchikers guide to the galaxy, a very funny movie. smile

2. Randy Godwin profile image61

And one of my favorite teachers!

15. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

RD, a car plowed through Mandy's store today. If Keith hadn't left his desk to go to the restroom, he'd probably be dead.

Saved by the bowl, I suppose!

16. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I haven't seen the movie, but I read the book several years ago. I'll have to find the flick.

17. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

For real! Hey, Ernesto is gonna come see us one day!

I thought about Earnest today while picking some particularly well formed fungi in the back forty.

Fungi? Well formed? I am honored! lol

I will get over to the States again soon as my son gets Uni out of the way! smile

I certainly hope you are experienced in "raising hell."  The Japanese visitors Holle (Habee) and I entertained were not too good at it!

18. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Wow, RD. I didn't know you were still collecting fungi.

Earnest, I can't vouch for RD's fungi, but I can for his other plants!

lol

19. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Oh, poor ol' Hatayama! I still think about him every time I hear "Sirent Night." Or "All the reaves are blowne..."

Me too, I wonder what he's doing.  He sure liked it here!

20. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Yeah, I hated that he had to go back to Japan. He was such a nice guy. He really wanted to stay...forever!

Yes, I wanted him to, too! Crashing now.

21. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I'm going night-night, guys. Luvs ya!

22. Ben Zoltak profile image81
    Ben Zoltakposted 14 years ago

My buddy used to have a winter cap that read, "Nature Made Nature"

Every living thing has a soul.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)