Recent Movies: Wall-E, Wanted, Guru, Zohan

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Just AK profile image66
    Just AKposted 15 years ago

I just saw Wall-E tonight and loved it, so much that I even wrote started a Hub for it.  I plan on seeing Wanted tomorrow, I've heard some good talk about it. However I was really disappointed with Adam Sandler's Zohan and Mike Meyer's Love Guru.  The commercials built them up so much, but they ended up being a bust.  What have you seen recently? and what did you think?

2. embitca profile image83
    embitcaposted 15 years ago

Wanted was terrific. I thought The Love Guru was horrible. Not funny at all.

3. DJ Funktual profile image76
    DJ Funktualposted 15 years ago

BABY MAMA - Very Good. 

Be Kind Rewind with Jack Black & Mos Def - NOT SO GOOD.

The One movie that kicked my ass recently was the Jude Law vs. Michael Caine movie SLEUTH.   

I also saw SHORTBUS.    Whoa.  Not for me but whoa.  like KIDS whoa.

4. Just AK profile image66

Yeah, Wanted was awesome.  I didn't really expect it to be that good.  Love Guru was a definate bust. 

I'd like to see Sleuth, I really like both those actors. And as for Shortbus, yeah I feel ya on that one.

Do you plan on seeing The Dark Knight when it comes out?

I don't think I can wait.  With the over advertised Hancock, crappy Journey to the Center of the Earth remake, and Eddie Murphy's Dave, it's going to be a long two weeks until Batman.

Although Hellboy 2 looks like it could be a surprise hit.

What do yall think?

5. embitca profile image83

I expect to see The Dark Knight multiple times smile

I will probably actually go to see Wanted again too. It was completely better than expected.

Hellboy might be worth seeing. I never saw the first one, but the trailers for the new one are starting to intrigue. I will probably see both Hancock and Journey to the Center of the Earth too. We'll see. If the reviews really slam them I may not bother, but I've always liked both Will Smith and Brendan Fraser.

They showed a trailer for the new Mummy movie tonight. That looks like it is going to kick butt.

Dave, I will probably skip.

Did you see Iron Man? That was amazing. I've been to see it twice.

6. DJ Funktual profile image76

Dark Knight ~ Can't Wait. 
    Hellboy was surprising and they took their time getting the second one right too so that should be solid.  Brendan Fraser looks like a total tool in that flick embitca.  Think Shia LeBoef swinging from the vines in Indy.   Cheezy! 

I Found This For Us to Talk About:

I'm Making My Own Checklist
    *****   means I Can't Wait To See Them!   

AOL's Picks for TOP 20 Movies This Year So Far

20)  Indiana Jones  <Eh?>
    19)  Spiderwick
    18)  Baby Mama   <Funny>
    17)  In Bruges
    16)  Teeth
    15)  Hulk
    14)  Planet B-Boy  ******
    13)  Horton Hears a Who
    12)  4 Months, 3 Weeks & 2 Days
    11)  Forgetting Sarah Marshall
    10)  Shine A Light
    9)    Wanted
    8)    Son of Rambow *****
    7)    The Counterfeiters
    6)    Wall-E ****
    5)    Taxi to the Dark Side
    4)    The Bank Job
    3)    Kung Fu Panda
    2)    The Visitor
    1)    Iron Man ****

Wow, I've only seen 2 out of 20.

1. DJ Funktual profile image76
      DJ Funktualposted 15 years agoin reply to this

OKAY UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

I am watching Teeth right now.

.........................speechless.

I will only print here what the netflix envelope says

When virtuous HS student Dawn becomes the victim of a sexual assault, she discovers that she has an unexpected line of defense: a toothed vagina.  But for Dawn, coming to terms with the power and dangers of her anatomical anomaly may be easier said than done. 
      Starring Jess Weixler it is director Mitchell Lichtenstein's provactive feminist horror flick.
      Rated R 2006

Then I thought "wait...I thought these were supposed to be AOL's 20 movies of this year?

any thoughts?

Is the netflix thing wrong or is AOL or are there 2 different movies named TEETH?

I'm halfway thru and it is hilarious some points and yet shocking and disturbing in others.

7. Just AK profile image66

Yeah I love Will Smith, but advertisements show so much of the film in ruins the movie. 

17) In Bruges. I thought it was pretty good.
    15) Hulk. I haven't seen it yet.  Seems a little weird they made a new Hulk 5 years after the other one, but Edward Norton should do a good job.
    11) Forgetting Sarah Marshall was pretty funny even though it kind of went unnoticed.
    8) Son of Rambow Looks awesome. They showed the trailer during the new Rambo movie and everyone in the audience loved it.
    4) Bank Job. Really good heist movie, doesn't compare to Snatch or Lock Stock and Two Loaded Barrels, but it ranks up there.
    3) Kung Fu Panda.  It was really good,  I was surprised.
    1) Iron Man was awesome. I liked it much more than other superhero movies like Superman and Spider man.

So far I've seen 7.  And I refuse to see Indiana Jones just because of Shia.

8. embitca profile image83

Brendan Fraser does not look like a tool tongue
    Of the ones I've seen:

20)  Indiana Jones 
    Ummmm, not Star Wars Episode I horrible, but not great. Shia Leboeuf is definitely JaJa Binks. Why does he have a career? Could someone please explain this?

17)  In Bruges
    I thought this was pretty good, but a little draggy in places. Great cast.

15)  Hulk
    Better than the previous Hulk movie, but still not really all that good. but I think maybe I just find the whole concept of the Hulk snore-inducing. Why is he so popular? I do not get it. Norton is good though. As always.

9)    Wanted
    Pretty damn kick ass

1)    Iron Man
    The most awesome movie this year. By far.

9. AC Gaughen profile image61
    AC Gaughenposted 15 years ago

Yeah i have to agree, I've been pretty horrified by how weak the comedy scene has been this summer.  Though the Zohan had a few laughs in it, I thought the Love Guru was just awful.  I'll admit that I'm not excited about Wall-E based on the previews alone, but the reviews are encouraging enough to make me want to give it a try. 

Iron Man, incredible.  And hey, I thought Shia did a pretty good job in Indiana Jones!  The only thing that wrecked that movie was its own crappy ending.  What the hell was that about?

10. PennyWise profile image60
    PennyWiseposted 15 years ago

Jusk AK-

Now what've you got against Shia?

Besides, whatever it is, Harrison Ford?--I wouldn't dismiss him.

11. DJ Funktual profile image76

Regarding THE HULK.   

The reason why you have a NEW Hulk so soon after the last one is this.

After the disaster that was the last Hulk movie, Marvel Comics has taken control of it's own properties and is now overseeing the work done on all future films.   THAT'S WHY Iron Man Rocked.  Because they made it themselves!

Now why did even the E. Norton version not bring it home? 
    DJ Funktual says that the reason is because the Robotic Hulk can't be loved like the human version via Lou Ferigno.  He may have been dumb and crazy but he was HUMAN.   This computerized version has NO SOUL.

That's what's up!

12. Just AK profile image66

Oh I don't have anything against Shia.  I really liked him in Disturbia, I just can't see him as having anything to do with Indiana Jones and I'm not happy that Hollywood wants him to replace Harrison Ford as Indian Jones in the future.  I'll probably see Indy when it comes out on HBO or something.

Great post on the Hulk DJ, I agree.  The new Hulk has no soul.  I like like the Hulk that speaks single word sentences like, "Smash."  That's the real Hulk.

Yeah the comedies have been pretty poor so far this summer, I'm looking forward to Pineapple Express.  I think Seth Rogan is hilarious.

And speaking of Iron Man, has anyone seen the trailer for new Robert Downey Jr. movie, Tropic Thunder? It also have Ben Stiller and Jack Black in it.

13. DJ Funktual profile image76

Shia LeBlaccch is a waste.  He has no acting ability and if you watched Project Greenlight then you already know he's a little beeeich.

14. thranax profile image73
    thranaxposted 15 years ago

I saw Love Guru and I liked it. A lot of people didn't and I was surprised at this response.
    I also saw Get Smart and liked that too.
    Tomorrow I'm going to see Hancock with my gf, hope its good!

15. DJ Funktual profile image76

I can't wait for the X Files movie!

16. Ann Smith profile image61
    Ann Smithposted 15 years ago

Ooh, how is Teeth?  It sounds like it could go either way.

Personally, I can't wait to see "The Counterfeiters" and "In Bruges."

I traveled to Bruges about four years ago, and it's an incredible town for a day or two.  Gosh, how many places do you visit that actually have a Lake of Love (real place) and handsome mimes!  I liked that town.

17. DJ Funktual profile image76

Teeth was really funny but it became too much to watch.  It's really not a movie that many MEN will be able to get through myself incuded.

However I did see a half-good movie called Charlie Bartlett which thru major nods to
    Harold and Maude.

One of the biggest problems in movie storytelling is that the third act always feels forced in some way.  The third act of Charlie bartlett is such a let down that I purposely splelled it like that! 

Great start but no follow through whatsoever!

18. Ann Smith profile image61
    Ann Smithposted 15 years ago

I am frequently disappointed with movies these days.  Loved Harold and Maude!  Have you seen Murmur of the Heart (Louis Malle) film?  It's very good and is sort of in the same vain as these two films, Rushmore, The Graduate...

19. Just AK profile image66

Teeth sounds weird, I had to read your post a couple times because I couldn't actually believe it.  I think there was a mix up somewhere on the AOL list. 

Whenever someone mentions Harold and Maude it always reminds me of "There's Something About Mary" 

I agree with you two on movies nowadays, they just becoming a poorly made product with no  lasting value.  I saw Murmur of the Heart and thought it was pretty good. And since you've brought up Rushmore....

have you seen any other Wes Anderson films? Or anything by Errol Morris?

I saw Hellboy 2 the other day and wasn't too impressed.  It had too much of a comical feel, and felt really Hollywood. I was hoping it would be more like Pan's Labyrinth and have a little darker side to it....

Has anyone seen Hellboy 2 yet? Or seen Pan's Labyrinth?

20. DJ Funktual profile image76

In Bruge was really really good. 

Like embitca says, it isn't action packed but if you are happy with a character study on criminals, this is tough to beat.  Reminds me of SEXY BEAST a lot though. 

Teeth - A twisted funny movie but waaaay too disturbing for the average male. 
    A Vagina that bites your @o@k off is just never gonna be enjoyable for us no matter how funny it is.   

If you want offbeat funny, check out EAGLE vs. SHARK with Jemaine from Flight of the Conchords!!!!!!!!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)