Donating in America

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (20 posts)
  1. brimancandy profile image77
    brimancandyposted 14 years ago

I have a question about people who donate to charity.

Why is it that so many people are so happy to shell out their money to corpoarate charities, and, fundraisers, when everyone knows that a huge majority of every dollar donated goes into corporate pockets, and not to the people that actually need the money. I was looking into it, and, I found that a majority of the big charities only give back around 10 cents of every dollar they take in.

There was a story on the news the other day, about a family of 5 that was burned out of their home. Some charity is going to have a fundraiser for them, at a local cafe. Only 10 percent of the proceeds will go to the family to help them rebuild. Why not 100 percent of the proceeds? If you really want to help, and not get a huge number of people through your doors, just to use these poor people to generate business.

What gets me upset about this, is people praise these charities for their work, and scorn the average person when they hold up a sign on the side of the road so they can get a decent meal.
    What's the differenece? You are going to give the money away anyways, if you are so ok with corporate charities sucking up your money for their 2 million dollar a year salaries, why not give to the person who really needs it?

I made attemp to ask for donations at a website to save my home,
    (I am close to being homeless.) And, I got some of the nastiest
    responces from people, calling me a lowlife scam artist, and, every other horrible name you can think of.

I worked full-time for 20 years. And, my anual income was up over $24,000.00. But, like a lot a people, I lost my job in January of 2009, and have not been able to find work. That's why I joined hub pages, so I can at least get some kind of income. (Which doesn't look promissing so far.)

So what is your position? Are you ok with the execs at these charities getting millions of dollars a year of your money?
    Or would you rather actually see what every penny of your dollar is being used for?

This is why there are still so many homeless people, because the big charities are pocketing the money for their own use, and, not putting it where it really belongs. Non-profit my ass!

Oh, as a note, I went to one of those charities to get help with my rent so I wouldn't get evicted. I was turned away as not qualified, because my rent is too high, I'm male, and have no minor children living in my home. They flat out told me, if I was a single mother, with small children, they would be glad to help, otherwise go out and get a job!

Yeah. I live in Michigan. I'll get in line with the other 500,000 single men who are looking for work. What do you think I do all day! I smell descrimination. But, understand. Wish they would do the same.

1. kmackey32 profile image64
      kmackey32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

People said the same thing to me when I asked for donations on my site also. I don't understand.

2. RKHenry profile image65
      RKHenryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think that there are more people than you realize, who recognize the same facts as you, and who also donate to Charities who do not gobble up there donations with costly commercials, unnecessary high executive salaries, or to those Charities who spend more on lobbyist than they do the people in need.

2. GL Bell profile image59
    GL Bellposted 14 years ago

Actually I have been trying to help a 60 year old Women not get evicted. I got slammed because I posted a link here. People were telling everyone it was a scam. There are many sites on the internet you can ask for donations and just because people are using them to plea/ beg for donations does not mean its a scam. As i pointed out in another post Most Churches, Charities, and even Wikipedia ask for online donations...Does that mean they are a Scam? Even our own Government ask if you want to donate to the presidential election fund on your tax return...of course we know they are a Scam. And Good Luck my friend... I know its hard but you   may want to seek help from the Salvation Army or a Church. Although some do require you to present them with an eviction notice, which is ludicrus... Ask now and you will feel better than getting evicted then trying to resolve the issue. Keep after it someone will help you and often it leads to some kind of work. Good Luck and God Bless!!!

brimancandyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the reply. I already called several orginizations, and they say the same thing. You need an eviction notice before we can help, and we probably can't help you, like I said, because I do not have children in my home, and those people take priority over you. And, my rent is too high. But, they would not say how much is too high. Even help with half of the rent, would keep me going at least an extra month. As of now, I have until March of 2010, then I will have no income.

I'm hoping my writing will pay off before then. But who knows what will happen by then. I'm hoping for the best.

2. starme77 profile image76
      starme77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have given donations online before , and I have also recieved donations online before , its something to be cautious with , but can be a good thing if one is careful. Not all people are scammers, but alot of people are and its a wise thing to be very cautious .If your looking to save your home quickly , then honestly it would be very, very difficult to do that online in a really fast way. Online income is possible , but takes time and patience and a whole lot of reading, researching, and learning - many major charities are smokescreens for ceo salaries and bonusus, you can look up a charity online and see how much of donations collected actually go to the charity , many times only like 2 to 4 percent actually make it to the people, this is public information you can look up about any charity. See they are mainly non profit organizations and in order to maintain their non profit status they must not make a profit , so, they give bonuses and pay huge salaries, give salary raises etc.. when they have too much money , they dont give it to the people it was intended for , be careful with charities is my advice

3. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

I just posted an article about charities for children, I researched about it very well and I know that these organizations I posted there are valid ones because they are the UN etc...

UNICEF

Save the Children

etc.

I used to work before in population related office in University and I know they are genuine,

sad that we are doubting everybody now....it is just the way it is because there are also lots of scam anywhere sepcially in the internet

4. brimancandy profile image77

There was a story on the news yeaterday about an adoption scam, where over 240 couples adopted children from a small poor nation, under the idea that they were saving children. As this company that did the adoption process, at $15,000.00 a child.
    The company claimed that the children were homeless orphans.

It wasn't until someone investigated, that they found out that the company took the children from various un-educated families, telling them that their children were only going away to be cared for, and would be returned to them when they were able to cope on their own.

Well, it appears that these islanders want their children back.
    Some of the families even flew to the island to meet one girls real parents. They semed glad to see her, but also confused.
    How could some supposidly legitimate organization get away with something like this.

Of course the company can't be reached for comment, and are only represented by their lawyers, and, pretty much nothing was done about it, other than our government slapping the company with fines. The people who adopted will not get their money back, and may have to return the children to their real parents.

The sad thing is. A lot of the kids don't want to go back, and their new parents don't want them to leave. I think it's terrible. That Company should not only pay back every dime, doubled, also pay those poor island families for taking away their children based on lies to begin with.

But, more than likely, the company will just change it's name, move to a new location, and start doing the same thing somewhere else. How they got away with this for so long is really kind of scarey. How many other companies are doing the same thing? Who can you really trust?

As a side note on this subject. I wonder what government is in control of that island? Seems to me they wouldn't allow children to be taken out of their country without someone knowing about it. That's something that just crossed my mind, and was not mentioned in the report.

It just makes you want to hold your ears and go...La! La! La!

5. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 14 years ago

Brimancandy, I am immigrant from another country, I've been living in Canada since 1992 and still do not understand that strange best CHARITY. I think the whole idea is stupid and gives way to all kinds of wrong things, I cannot think of a better word. It's not that it is a scam, not, but it is not servicing any REAL purpose: to help. I've been in situations when you are desperate and never ever any charity helped me though I came to Canada with 3 small children (stupid,eh?). They look for somebody in Africa(Indeed?) and do not see people under they nose who needs help. If you are a single male, forget about finding help. You'll probably loose everything and have to  start all over again, it's the saddest truth. But do not despair, you are not alone. it's how capitalism works unfortunately, and in that economy you just have to have a patience and grab any stupid miserable job that any stupid miserable agency might find for you and work up again. If you are patient you'll might get lucky, cheers!

6. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I recently wrote a hub about Donations to Charities.  I'm all for the local charities that feed families and clothe families in our communities.

brimancandyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh, don't get me wrong. I am all for charity. When I was wroking, I donated $1.00 out of my check every week to the united way, and also dropped money into the Salvation army pot, donated clothes, food, and watever I could to help out.

My problem is with the big charities, not the local churches and the soup kitchens that work on their own money. I even know of a retired lady who used her extra income from making crafts, to buy food and supplies for people living with HIV.

The campground I am a member of has a food drive, and a winter coat drive. I was happy to donate what I could to them this year, as I know that they give ALL of it to who needs it. No sitting on top of 90 percent of what was taken like the big charities do. I did it, even though I knew things weren't looking too good for me. I was glad to be able to help.

I'll tell what did it most for me. There was this guy at our business representing the United Way. $500.00 suit, brand new shoes, very well groomed, driving a brand new car. Probably all purchased with doanted money. And not only one well dressed guy, but five of them, each with a different story. I ended my donations to them that day.

The whole for every dollar you donate 15 cents goes to help those in need, which can amount to several million dollars.
      I raised my hand...um what about the other 85 cents? Well, we have our costs....yeah new house, new boat, new car, expensive suits and shoes. Yeah whatever.

All that while someone sleeps under a box. How do you live with yourself. I didn't say that to him, but I sure wanted to.
      Some of the C.E.O's of these "non profit" orgs, have an anual salary of 2 million dollars. Do you think they give any of it back? Hell no!

7. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I'm with you on this Briman. It's a gigantic waste of resources. Including things like UNICEF by the way. But it is sooooo convenient...

1. Dark knight rides profile image59
      Dark knight ridesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There isn't a charity on the planet that gives 100% of the proceeds to the poor. There's too much overhead involved. I work for a non-profit in Colorado and about half our expenses are in employee costs. But you have to have people to do things, and quite frankly, Americans would rather give money than time, so you have to pay people to do the actual work.

Also, most of the large charities operate internationally. Getting resources around the world costs money. The more it costs to get the aid there, the less actual aid they can give. So, should you just stop giving? Are the needs of Americans too great that we can go back to letting kids starve in other countries? Is it really a difficult question?

1. starme77 profile image76
        starme77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

How much do the Ceo's and Presidents of these non profits make per year? do you think the guy at the Red Cross gets like minimum wage ? Or maybe a little more? And where does it come from ? ?

8. The Rope profile image59
    The Ropeposted 14 years ago

There are a lot of excellent charities out there and the internet has wonderful lists that post not only the top charities but how much of each dollar goes to help vs what is spent on overhead.  I personally pick all of my charities and do not give to overseer charities who take the lion's share or to ones who foster beliefs that I oppose.  I recieved a lot of heat at various companies I worked for to contribute to United Way so the company could earn a kudo for having 100% participation.  I gave the absolulte minimum but it was a work obligation not done with a giving spirit.  On the opposite side of the coin, I give a lot to charities - but I know where the dollars are going and how they are used.  Many corporate charities give 100% of their charity dollars to the charity itself and the company advertising budget absorbs the cost of running the promotion.  I approve of corporate charities (many who take in dollars for McDonald's Ronald McDonald homes, St. Jude, March of Dimes, etc.) but I'm careful to ensure what the actual charity does with the dollars collected.

9. brimancandy profile image77

Hey RKHenry

You're right. There are some good ones out there. But, I think the general donating public needs to start asking questions, when they donate.

They obviously can't do much with donaned food, because that is perishable, and they can't resell it. (But, watch out in the future I bet they will start selling the canned goods.)

How do I know that the clothing I am donating isn't just going to end up on a hanger at goodwill? Or in a mission store?

Where exactly is my money going? And, how is it divided and why?

Exactly what is your overhead in detail. If your CEO is getting a 2 million dollar Salary plus bonuses forget it!

10. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Any money offered as a donation to any company that is operating within the borders of the United States of America, is simply a complete waste.

As I've stated before, there isn't any of the top 200 non-profit or charitable organizations in America within the federal requirement, supposedly regulated by individual regulators.

I know of a bar in my neighborhood, who raised money for breast cancer awareness and the money was forwarded to a charitable orgranization on behalf of someone else and less than 5% made it to charitable organization and less than that was used, as the charitable organization so claim to do for breast cancer awareness.

The abuse business is handing society, it's unbelieveable. And, the people continue to let it happen. Thank for posting this topic. big_smile

11. starme77 profile image76
    starme77posted 14 years ago

Well said my friend smile I love the french people my father in law was french also

12. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 14 years ago

The Red Cross goes to dangerous places and does amazing things that small local charities can't even begin to look at.

The Samaritans is a network of volunteers who help thousands come back from the brink of suicide. Money you donate to them goes to essential training and publicity.

There is a need for charitable work at every level, individual, local, regional, national, global.

Where I will agree with the OP is in suggesting careful selection of what to support.

13. livelonger profile image85
    livelongerposted 14 years ago

The best resource is Charity Navigator - it details how much of its budget goes to overhead, how much its executives get paid, etc, so you can see how efficient they are at transferring your money to people in need. They also do quick ratings based on these factors if you don't have the time to delve into all the details.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)