What Would Happen If the Earth Stopped Spinning?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (43 posts)
  1. Katelyn Weel profile image89
    Katelyn Weelposted 14 years ago

I was thinking today, what would happen if the Earth just suddenly stopped spinning? I don't know much about physics but I'm curious to hear what you guys think..

Would gravity be affected, causing us to fall off? What would happen to the weather? The oceans? TIME?

2. starme77 profile image78
    starme77posted 14 years ago

um I dunno maybe we would fall off

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image63
      AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Fly off

3. goldenpath profile image66
    goldenpathposted 14 years ago

Curious and interesting thought.  I am not a physics major myself but the first concern to my mind is the magnetic field.  This would collapse, in my opinion, and would virtually shut down all flight and probably leave all electronics and HP mute.  That's probably far fetched but it's a thought.  I guess the proper thing to do is observe those objects out there that do not spin.  I believe Mercury is one and even the Moon.  From my last research Mercury has extreme differences from the dark side from the lit side.

Katelyn Weelposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow I thought all planets spun... thats insane! my world just turned upside down... I think I'm taking a sudden interest in cosmology

4. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

we could all get stoned for free!!!!!!!! lol

1. starme77 profile image78
      starme77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

ha nice smile

5. Katelyn Weel profile image89
    Katelyn Weelposted 14 years ago

I do know it would affect weather.. in my study of meteorology I learned that all weather is caused by movement of air, which is in turn caused by the spinning of the earth. So that would really throw things off balance.

We would either have no weather or insane weather... or maybe really crazy weather for a while and then eventually all air would stop moving.. ?

6. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

Katelyn, I like your avatar big_smile

LOL thanks, Lyrics.. its my fish, Trooper smile

2. Jeffrey Neal profile image66
      Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Every time I see yours it's changed. smile They are all good, though!

7. Jeffrey Neal profile image66
    Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years ago

The most obvious effect would be that the light side would get very warm and the dark side very cold.

I doubt gravity would be affected since that is more a function of the earth's size than rotation.

Based on something I saw awhile back that showed how the rotation causes earth to bulge in the middle along the equator, I'll bet that no spin would probably have some pretty cataclysmic geological effects.

I wonder if its possible, or what could make happen...

and what would happen to time if the earth started spinning the opposite direction? All our time zones would be mixed up

WHY am I so full of these questions today??

1. goldenpath profile image66
        goldenpathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I really didn't have the best day at work today so, please, don't scare me.  I'd really like to NOT re-live today.

8. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 14 years ago

we would fall off the earth into the great void of space where we would cease to breath and die and be forever preserved floating weightlessly through space !  or not. lol

9. love my yorkies profile image59
    love my yorkiesposted 14 years ago

Maybe I wouldn't be so dizzy!!!  big_smile

10. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

Um, 1000 mile- an- hour winds to start....

11. fatfist profile image65
    fatfistposted 14 years ago

If it just stopped suddenly without deccelerating, we would all fly off, including houses, buildings, water....due to our tendency to keep moving. But after taking a huge flight in the air, most if not all would fall back to Earth again (need some calculations here). Night and day would be 365 days, instead of 24 hours. The weather would go nuts!

12. goldenpath profile image66
    goldenpathposted 14 years ago

Reaching back in memory (a few years) it seems that I learned that the Earth's spin aids in keeping it in it's proper orbit.  If so than to stop spinning would probably push us farther from the sun instilling a much colder pattern.  I guess...  Who knows, perhaps we would be, truly, kissing cousins with Mars!

13. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

Not to mention what would happen to the moon.

Space 1999

1. profile image0
        Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I liked that show...

14. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

All idiots will be thrown into the space, and we finally will solve global warming problem lol

1. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well... every cloud has a silver lining! big_smilebig_smile

2. goldenpath profile image66
      goldenpathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Still new and not sure how to post all the little smiley faces but your comment is classic!  : )

15. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

It would be blamed on Obama.

big_smile

2. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It would be Bush's fault!!

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
        Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And his "Mission Accomplished" banner would then be accurate.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60

I made Brunswick stew today for lunch.

3. Katelyn Weel profile image89

LOL its true!

No, come on now, it would obviously be the fault of
          Bill-Clinton  / Ronald-Reagan (strike out as appropriate)

16. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 14 years ago

devistation and destruction... end of days!  Death within minutes!

1. profile image0

Dogs and cats living together!

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60

Mass hysteria!

1. profile image0

Lenny!

1. profile image0

the cats and dogs living together is more scarey!  Meoooooooooooow!

2. Cagsil profile image69
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't they already do that in some households?

1. profile image0

EXACTLY!  Say no more!!

17. aware profile image68
    awareposted 14 years ago

its slowing as we speak. wind power and tidal generators .sound like a great idea . but when you harness the momentum of planet functions you run the risk of adversely altering the delicate rate of earth revolution

18. brimancandy profile image79
    brimancandyposted 14 years ago

Wow. I think the rotation of the earth has a lot to do with the life on it. The changing of the seasons, The constant variations in temperature with daytime and night-time heating, or cooling. But, for it to just come to an abrupt stop. I don't think anything would happen intially, we might not even notice. But, if it did not start rotating again, the long term results would be pretty horrific.

First, I think there would be a lot of panic. As in, why is it still daytime in New York City 5 days in a row! People on the dark side of the earth would probably freak out even more!

Then there is the weather, and the oceans would probably flood a good portion of low lying areas. But, the earth is so large, there may just be a shifting of the oceans, certainly tidal waves would occur, but, I think it would subside.

This is just a really interesting question...and a scary one!
    Like what if a giant meteor hit Manhattan! Yikes!

Sounds like a great apocalypse movie.. i love those! Anyone see 2012?

19. sabrebIade profile image81
    sabrebIadeposted 14 years ago

Wouldn't everything on the planet that's not nailed down go West at like 1000 mph if the Earth just stopped?
    At least that's what I recall from reading Alpha Flight...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)