Should Christians Kiss Dating Goodbye?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Singlesstreetlife profile image60
    Singlesstreetlifeposted 14 years ago

There are several schools of thought regarding christians and dating.  There are some who believe dating is not what you should enter into and others who believe that it is the only way you can truly get to know someone before you commit to a life long partnership.  Tell me what you think?

1. seyiari profile image60
      seyiariposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well to me i thinking dating is good , if done in Godly way, you know i mean ? do not defile the bed. dating will help you to know the wolves in sheep skin and the sheep in wolves skin

Singlesstreetlifeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe in dating with a Godly purpose.  Or more simply put not dating just for the sake of it. But rather dating someone you believe there is potential for a more longer meaningful commitment that could lead to marriage.

1. Sa Toya profile image83
          Sa Toyaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I semi agree with you I believe we should date for the purpose of creating something more-like you said long term commitment.
          I'm not sure I went on a date with marriage on the mind. I think commitment needs establishing first and to do that you need to get to know the person...date then it flows from there. It falls into the courting category then/relationship.

But I can understand dating without really looking for more. Maybe you are dating to gain experience/ interacting. Trying something new, getting out of a rut. So you agree to go on a date or to with a guy you find attractive...then if more develops it develops and if it doesn't..it's over!

This is where I think semantics start to fudge the lines behind the meaning and or understanding of the differences between dating and courtship.

At the end of the day I believe what is fundamental is to understand why you are relating with another person. I do not believe you should not spend time getting to know someone.  It is important to see how they relate in different settings with others, how they respond to family, colleagues, friends etc.  In addition to hear their view points on what are important issues for you e.g. spiritual matters, children, finances etc.

I just feel as much as possible just dating for dating sake should be minimised. In my experience it gets boring and worse still depressing after a while. 

Having said that it important to get to know someone first before you enter in an engagement/courtship with them.

2. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I really don't see how you could get to know someone without dating. Unfortunately, these days, many teens don't date the way we did. They just "hook up" after a party or football game or something.

Agreed, hence the confusion they enter into when they are trying to define what their relationship is.

3. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I think dad needs to make  all arrangements. No dating. Let's go back to the old ways. wink

1. profile image0
      Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hehehe in your dreams ralwus lol

and dating is a key ingredient in socalizing with guys in a different level than friends. Not allowing ppl to date and having arranged marriages? *gag* roll

I think we would experience more problems with our young people if we took away their right to decide.  What is needed is guidance and prays that they make the right relationship decisons. In addition they need to have an understanding of what they are 'really' getting into.

4. Cranoo profile image60
    Cranooposted 14 years ago

I personally believe it's ok to have sex with someone as long as your 18+ and truly love the person and are planning to marry them, but it should be only one person.

When I was 17-20 I was with 5 girls and that's not counting the dozens that I didn't sleep with but now I don't.

5. Hongliang Zhang profile image57
    Hongliang Zhangposted 14 years ago

Happy is the best way to keep the years!!!!

6. my last breath profile image61
    my last breathposted 14 years ago

if u dont date then how will you ever get married. its a step in establishing a relationship.

Agreed!

7. Mike Lickteig profile image76
    Mike Lickteigposted 14 years ago

If dating is hooking up, well then no, it only serves a single purpose.  If dating is about getting to know someone and developing feelings, then it is essential to any meaningful relationship.  Dating can occur in a Christian way (or in a way Christians can approve of). 

Dating doesn't have to be top stakes, though--it isn't just about preparing for marriage.  It's also about socialization and learning to relate well to others in an increasingly mature fashion.  It has its role in our process of maturation, and we need it to learn to interact as adults.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)