Rules regarding critiquing another hubbers hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (32 posts)
  1. PB_Smith profile image59
    PB_Smithposted 14 years ago

I was curious if there any strict rules about critiquing another person's hubs. If everything is based on fact and what they have said in the hub and comments it doesn't fall under the label of slander does it.

<snipped>

Don't want to post a link if it's a violation of rules. [Another hubber] has now declared that he/she has closed the comments and will respond if and when he/she feels like it.

Would I be in violation of the rules if I took him/her to task in my own hubs?

<Snipped - there is no reason to bring the specific Hubber into this discussion. To be clear, a Hubber has absolute authority on whether to allow or delete comments on his/her Hubs. You might be well-advised to not name anyone else and simply debate the merits of your viewpoint without ad hominem attacks, both in the Forums and in your Hubs.>

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He is entitled to accept or deny comments they are his hubs and you are entitled to write about your view however I would be cautious about speaking of another hubber and their views everyone is entitled to their thoughts, expressions and opinions. I personally allow all comments on my hubs unless of course they are spam and it is percieved as such. Hal is highly respected in the community at HP regardless of his beliefs, disbeliefs etc. some of his hubs are right on target I don't know of any hub that is perfect when it comes to research and I believe all of us continue to learn from each other. Don't let another hubber upset you it is not worth the energy, just keep doing what you are doing best and keep writing and interracting. smile

PB_Smithposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And that has me completely baffled.

2. PB_Smith profile image59

You may want to pass that warning along to (that other hubber) as well.

I assume a staff member edited my post, yet they still won't dialogue with me about the spammer issue I originally mentioned?

2. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I myself don't know the rules but I am sorry that he marked you as spam when you are only trying to help.
    It is sad when ppl don't research or don't take in account that the other commenter is jut trying to help to make your hub better.

Sorry PB that you got smacked with SPAM
    and you are right about LSD and pregnancy
    I even found a good website on it too.
    http://www.cognitiveliberty.org/shulgin … gnancy.htm

Thanks, Yes I really wish staff would respond to my e-mails about this, makes it really hard to participate in the community if people think my comments are just trash.
      The "debate" is rather long but I feel I was very thorough. Mr. Licino just reverted to personal attacks and feels that validates his position and discredits mine. Reading it through really leaves one shaking thier head wondering if he could really be that way. If so it's scary.

3. profile image0

Feel free to help me any time PB I'm always up for help. like spelling mistakes or even add a good link that talks about what I have written. or if I had said something untrue then by all means leave comments and let me and others know. I am always ready for help and to make my hubs more smile

4. profile image0

yes I did read what he said and it was definitely childish on his part. Instead of trying to see your side and giving wbesites where he foudn his information he resorted to name calling. very sad indeed!

And I do hope that the staff gets back with you soon about it. Keep me posted!

5. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

he probably marked you as spam because you were posting links away from his page in opposition to what he had written.  most of us here welcome comments, but do not prefer links included that are taking people off the page.

I see you have no hubs written, so perhaps you don't understand why this is important.  have you read the rules, etc. of how to hub?  hubs aren't necessarily written to debate although it can and does happen.

No, I fully understand and appreciate that, but I feel that my providing links to the research provides YOU the reader a way to confirm that I was not just stating opinion. I stay away from making those type of links/comments to religious or political hubs because they are by their very nature based on opinion. But when somebody claims scientific research supports their OPINIONS when it clearly doesn't I feel that the readers should be afforded the opportunity to decide for themselves.

I also believe that hubpages has links direct to another site rather than open a new window because that way it generates another page view when the person comes back to the hub. Not bad per se, good use of the system. A simple right mouse click and open in a new window solves that, so I will have no problem with that in my hubs when I get  the spam issue resolved.

As far as the hub being used as a forum for debate, that was Mr. Licino's choice and he has garnered many,many page views as a result. Over 300 comments not including all the ones still pending.

1. Daniel Carter profile image61
        Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

With all due respect, and you're position is indeed the right one as far as I can tell, Rebekah is right, that your stance could only be strengthened and taken more seriously by HP staff, if you publish hubs and have a writing track record. It's just part of the process of getting established. So don't feel anyone is attacking you because in fact, we are trying to show you where you are weak so that you can gain a stronger, more reputable position and voice here in HP.

I think you'll find if you publish some hubs that HP staff will respond in earnest. As yet, you have no "proven" track record as a hubber. So give us a chance to stand behind you. Your first hubs could even be the more accurate view of your opponent's erroneous hubs.

Hope this helps.

6. profile image0

thats a good idea, Daniel! PB write a hub on sort of the same subject that he did and put in the links that you have found in your hub so others can read where you got yuor facts and knowledge!

7. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

@PB

1- where are your hubs ?
    You should start by writing a hub about your view in LSD and pregnancy.
    2-posting links is spam whether you're helping or not. The person receiving the post doesn't know,as it's obvious he's not going to open your links, just in case.
    3- If you think he's inaccurate in his hub, you should e-mail the hubbber and tell him so.
    4- If he doesn't do anything about it and you think it's important, you should open a thread about it, and debate it in the forums.

8. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

I think our audience are smart enough to accept things said on the web with some doubt and get medical advice directly from professionals is far better than from a stranger with unknown qualifications wink I've done a Hub that debated a issue also so yes, if I were you, just write one with your own POV.

9. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

When I am reading hub, I'm not there to critique anyone's writing. I am there to read what they have written. If I am interested in giving them a comment, I make it nice, but then I will email them to let them know that I found something either wrong with, like not factual or inaccurate, or errors in spelling. I don't enforce my views, but try to convey a more professionalism type atmosphere.

I refuse to have complaints on my hubs. Therefore, I don't complain in my comment. smile

1. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

good point.

10. PB_Smith profile image59

Advice noted and accepted. I'm just not sure if do publish a hub/hubs that directly challenge Mr. Licino's if that would be in violation of the rules.

I would really like the "spammer" tag removed from me so that doesn't become an issue.

I am going to do a some hubs covering these topics as well as others.

I wasn't aware that posting links is considered spam. If so why other than it takes a person from hubpages.

Then wouldn't having links to hubs on services like twitter be considered spam as well?
    I'm not trying to be difficult, just curious . The only reason I posted links was due to the debate format of the hub. Any one who graduated high school knows that a good researcher cites their sources, otherwise it's just opinion.

I will begin to get some hubs up and as far as the debate goes and answering it my own hubs, well let's just say that Mr. Licino has done a pretty good job of discrediting himself so I don't really need to address that issue any further I guess.
    Thanks for your responses and I apologize if I inadvertently offended anyone here.

11. Cagsil profile image70

Striking at his/her Hubs directly isn't the way to go about it. You want to produce your own Hub on the subject, feel free to do so. But, under no circumstances are you to mention him/her in your Hub. You are a different source for the information and you are let the reader make their own conclusions, as to what they want to learn.

If you want to direct them to real-life test or studies, and show them the truth of the matter, because truth is in the facts, then I'll say, just create your Hub the best way you can.

Don't pick a fight or argument on a Hub. You want to argue, pick a forum thread and scream all you want. But, don't bring down your own professionalism to diminish your work.

Just a thought. Try to be the better person here and don't give in to petty issues, just because you think this person is wrong. If they Hub is extremely out of whack, then I would report him/her to HubPages and let them know this person is lying.

But, try to remember, writing a Hub is from one's perspective and can be written in any manner, an individual feels like. Can they lie? Some do. Some are not honest with themselves and it can be seen in their writing, much less be honest with others.

If you read the "debate" hub you will see I always remained civil and adult in the exchange. I feel my professionalism is evident in that exchange. In my summation I did call into question some of his other hubs and comments that are relavent to the topic of harm induced by drugs and that really give insight into his character and integrity. Was that wrong.

He blatantly altered the research he quoted and made outlandish interpretations of other research. You mean I could report him for altering facts in his hub to make it appear as though the research supported his views?

In his hub that he referres to in his most recent comment he calls a public personality a liar and uses some erroneous and flawed "experiment" to prove it. Isn't that slander?
      Shouldn't that be reported as well?
      Very interesting.

12. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

I also was personally attacked after attempting to point out as tactfully as possible that many of the "facts" and "research methods" used in one of Hals hubs were very, very flawed. My comment was published as were about a dozen others that pointed out the same obvious errors. So Im surprised to hear he didint publish your comments.

He doesnt seem to big on revision, wink since the misinformation is still posted sad

He seems to enjoy attacking dissenters

http://hubpages.com/hub/Petition-The-FC … Violations

There used to be quite a diatribe on this hub, i guess since deleted.

I allow dissenting comments on my hubs that are civil. But, In general many of our hubs are not posted strictly for the hub community, negative comments, short meaningless comments and links away from our pages are generally not conducive to our aim

But with almost 1600 well written hubs (even if our opinions are not the same), Mr. Licino is certainly a prolific and respectable writer, If you want to dissent, by all means write about it. but I wouldnt start a personal vendetta to target that hub or hub author, just make your case and let the best hub win

hint:

if you use the same tags, your hub will show up on his page smile

Being prolific is not synonymous with being talented. I have googled a lot of his "topics" and have found that it would be very easy to just change a little wording, paraphrase and VIOLA' a hub article appears. As far as respectable, hardly, you yourself noted that with your this post. We won't even mention his horrible command of the written English language.

Anyway I'm ranting and that is NOT what I want to be known for so forgive me. Last rant then I'm done. For the number of people who read his hubs and heap praise on this man really disheartens me that there are so many non-critical thinkers in the world. Honestly, my 14 year old read one of his hubs about pajamas and broke out laughing at his atrocious grammar.
      That's it I'm done. I will not mention Licino again in this thread. I apologize for letting myself lose control.
      Sorry.
      I hope you all will give me a look when I get some articles published in the next week.

13. Cagsil profile image70

My point is to NOT start a war. big_smile

End of point!

Have a nice day.

14. PB_Smith profile image59

OK, I'm all better now. smile
    So any suggestions on how to get myself removed from the spammer list so my comments to other hubbers don't just get trashed.
    Staff could you help me out, I promise to play nice from now on.
    wink

15. profile image0

Glad you are feeling better PB. And the only thing to do is contact the staff via email.

I've tried a few times, but I suspect that if my IP has already been tagged as spam it may never reach an inbox. sad

I don't feel it is right that one person who didn't like my comments had the power to get me tagged as spam and now I can't fully participate in HP.

1. profile image0
        Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

aaa PB I'm sorry...you could always request this one deleted and make a new one like PB_Smith2 or something

I was tagged as spam prior to making the profile, which further confuses me.

16. profile image0

what? before making this profile? wow that is really weird.

17. profile image0
    pmccrayposted 14 years ago

I fully agree with tantrum.  If you feel that you must critique a body's work then, by all means e-mail that party. 

I feel you hide a nasty streak in you manner of crictism by posting it for all the world to see. 

We are all budding writers, and new to the game either you enjoy the hub or not that's all the comment that is needed. I've read many with spelling errors and the like and don't feel it's my duty to point out every flaw. 

You have a button on each hub to rate it I suggest that you do so, and don't forget opinions are like pieholes...everybody has one.

Actually I have no problem with a person not having proper spelling or grammar usage in their hubs. The reason I mentioned it in (that other hubber's)case goes too his honesty and integrity. He claims over thirty years in the world of journalism, as an editor and writer. I just find it curious that someone with such a background would not use proper grammar and syntax in their writing. It has to do with an individuals character, not their grade in English. So my pointing such errors out in this instance has to do with whether or not the person is honest, not about spelling. Sometimes you have to go beyond what is written on the page to get the whole story.

18. Jason Menayan profile image60
    Jason Menayanposted 14 years ago

PB_Smith:

First, understand that we are a very small team, and while we do our best to respond to Hubbers' messages in a timely manner, we can not always promise to do so.

A few things are worth mentioning:

* A Hubber has total authority over what comments he/she allows to be published on his/her Hub. If a Hubber wants to delete every comment you post, they can do so. You would be able to do the same thing if you were to publish a Hub.

* You shouldn't make attacks on other Hubbers in the forums, much less open a thread to do so. Do it again and you will be banned from the forums. You can easily make your point without drawing in the entire saga between you and another Hubber; it is entirely irrelevant.

* HubPages, and not any individual Hubber, makes a determination if an author's comments are spam. You shouldn't accuse another Hubber of doing something they have no power to do.

With that, I'll close this thread.

19. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 14 years ago

I'm not sure where you've gotten your ideas about being identified as a 'Spammer' or that your IP address is somehow blacklisted.  Neither are true.  I also can't find any emails in the HubPages team email box from your registered address.  The best way to contact us is here or directly at team-at-hubpages.com

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)