My Daughter

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)
  1. laneita1982 profile image60
    laneita1982posted 14 years ago

I have a new born. Well she's four months now, or should I say will be on the 25th of this month. She is spoiled rotten and I know that it's mainly because of me. Now I have two older kids. My son Jeremiah is five and my middle child Riayn (Ryan) will be 2 next month. Now my problem is with the youngest, her name is Raiyn (Rain) I can't put her down to save my life. I'd put her down and she will holler until I go and pick her back up. Now you would think that with me having two older ones and went through this before that I should have experience. With Raiyn, I had her naturally so I felt every bit of the pain of labor and it wasn't a walk in the park I might add, but with the other two I had an epidural. Now I don't know if that makes a bit of a difference but it seems to me that it does. I seem to have a tighter bond with this one then I did with the other two when they were babies. Now don't get me wrong, I love them all the same but when my son was a baby and he cried, I'd let him cry for a little while before I'd go pick him up and I didn't hold him all the time like I do with her. And the same for my middle daughter. It's like the baby and I have this different kind of bond then what I had with my other two. Does that seem weird to anyone?

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

no, a bond between mother and child is never 'weird'. i just have one child so i can't comment on the dynamics re: siblings etc.

but i did see a situation like this on The Super Nanny show. what she did was gradually taper off and put the clingy child down for very small periods of time at first, and give her something to distract her momentarily, like a cuddly or something, but the mother still remained close by, just not holding her, although she gently stroked her back, or patted her, etc.

the child gradually got used to not being carried around all the time. she also got a small playpen and set it in the middle of the room where the mommy would be working so she could talk to her baby as she cleaned, etc.

anyway good luck with your baby, and congratulations. smile

2. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think the dynamics of how she was born has anything to do with it, if that's any comfort.
      She's just got used to getting her comfort from you, that's all. But you can't hold her all the time she is awake when you have other little ones to look after too.
      You might have to do the 'hard love' thing and let her cry. It'll be hard at first, but it should work pretty quickly.
      What you do is put her down, and walk away. She cries. You go back and shush her - but don't hold her, just let her know you are near. Then you walk away again. This time when she cries you let her cry a little longer before returning. Comfort her again, then walk away. Keep this up and each time extend the time before you go back and within a week she should be OK when you put her down.
      BTW, I am a mother of six!

3. adamareangere profile image67
      adamareangereposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Doesn't seem strange to me. I only have one (whom I love dearly) so I can't personally understand, but I know plenty of people who feel the same way. Even my own father admits to feeling this way about his youngest, David. It was a lot different growing up for myself and the middle brother Chris, though he loved us all it was always a different relationship for him and David. We didn't suffer from it, just happens!

2. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

I find your situation intriguing however I can't answer this one , I only have one but I am certain that some great hubber will come along that has more then one and will be able to explain it. smile

3. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

You love them all equally, that's the magic. But - you love each for their seperate qualities, whilst also loving them because their your children.

Nature is a wonderful thing and I wouldn't over analyze this, were I you.

My daughter certainly had more from me than my two sons, as she was almost an only child. My boys were a year apart - and 5 and 6 respectively when she was born.

They played so well together, did much together - they had each other. My daughter only had me. I was her plaything. But that doesn't mean I feel guilty about my boys.

What i'd focus on is being the best mom you can be - to all of them. Something that I'm sure you're already doing smile

And welcome to HubPages big_smile

4. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

wish I could help sorry

5. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

When you put the child down, is it in the same room as the older children are playing?   You might try that if you haven't already. When my kids were infants they would slept through an earthquake. The infant may sleep better being near everyone else. Or whatching and or listening to what is going on?? 
      Make it easy on yourself when ya can.

6. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I don't think what you shared sounds weird at all. you may feel a different bond with her and feel responsible to make sure she is always content. so far, there is good advice here. all she needs is reassurance that you are near. as long as she's fed and isn't crying for a diaper change, etc., some crying is fine. you'll feel terrible at first, but it will subside as she figures out you're not always going to hold her.

you could look at this way also, if she's only 4 months, all she knows is what she is accustomed to, she doesn't realize yet that she can be content without being held because you've always picked her up... so gradually replace holding her with something else to comfort or entertain her. good luck, you sound like a wonderful mom because you do want to do what's best. nothing easy about being a mom of 1 or 3 or 6! best to you and yours.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)