One Profile or Two

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (31 posts)
  1. profile image0
    KellyEngaldoposted 14 years ago

I am new at this and have started with everything except my paid profession - health and fitness.  Should I have a separate profile just for health and fitness?  What are the pros and cons?  I have reviewed some top writers and it seems many do this to segregate major topics.  What is your recommendation?   

The Split would be: 1.) Health and Fitness Articles Only and 2.) Everything else ranging from peace articles, history to internet items to favorite artists - paintings, actors, artists, etc...

1. Haunty profile image74
      Hauntyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I can recall one Pro once said it wasn't a good idea, but she didn't tell me why. And I didn't ask...

2. moanalisa profile image61
    moanalisaposted 14 years ago

I am by far newer than you! Your question is also one that I've contemplated, however I came to the following conclusion:

People ARE interested in more than just one topic...someone that loves tattoos and is a tattoo artist, for example, may have other interests in cooking, parenting, or who knows what. Getting to know you as a writer of quality hubs is more likely to draw followers of all walks of life than a particular niche market.

Another pro for keeping it to just one is that you have the ability to separate your topics into groups and your fans can select from there what topics they'd prefer to read. Besides, it'd be so much easier to manage in many ways.

There certainly may be other cons or pros I'm not considering, but those are the reasons that for now, I have chosen to keep everything centralized.

I wish you the best of luck!

3. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 14 years ago

I've never had a problem using one account for everything I write.

The group feature is how I organize the different topics within my overall bunch of Hubs.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Me too.  Relache is a highly successful Hubber so her advice is well worth listening to. 

If you are looking to garner a Hub following, then I can see the point of separate profiles. However if you're here to earn money, that's not where it comes from - most of your income comes from people visiting via search engines.  So long as you have your Hubs grouped by subject and include links to related Hubs where relevant, that will be more than enough for those readers.  They're never likely to be looking at your account as a whole anyway.

4. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I would say stick to one...just do as relache says and catagorize them in different topics and you'll be good to go.

5. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

I prefer having one account and combining everything I write into everything else I do. I see no sense in a second account. smile

6. profile image0
    baconmidgetposted 14 years ago

yep just one i think it would be to confusing for 2 or 3 or any more than 1. well now that just sounds repetitive lol

7. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
    Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years ago

I have multiples.  Just this one is a "public" profile, but the others serve a purpose for certain niches.  It can be difficult to keep all scores over 75 unless you have some good hubs getting consistent traffic, but I imagine two profiles wouldn't be that hard to keep up with.  I'm not even telling how many I have. tongue

8. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I can see how you may want to have a separate health/fitness thing because that would lend itself to your doing something like having your own website/blog and tying things together under the health/fitness "umbrella".   One pro I would see is that it would leave open options for doing things you may later think you'd like to do. 

Right now, I've got a "big mess" on my hands with my HubPages and other online writing.  On the one hand, I have writing/work I do "for business" and don't post online because it's not what you do.  On the other hand, my Hubs and other writing were things I started as "hobby writing".  In the beginning I didn't know what I "should be" doing, so I just wrote Hubs in answer to requests, because it was a "little challenge".  So now, I have a big mess of stuff all lumped together, without any particular "identity" and without the polish I'd want on sites tied in with my professional writing samples.  Then, because stuff built up I ended up adding blogs and other online (to organize) writing all under one "identity" - and, as I said, it's a big mess.  It doesn't stop my Hubs that will be found from being found, of course, but at this point I don't want to take some of them down because they're earning; and at this point, whatever has been associated with this name is "all associated" (and taking everything down and starting over, with a better "business plan" roll wouldn't be the best thing to do).

Just the other day I started a new, separate, account and name. (now that I know better what the plan needs to be, as opposed to starting in new and just kind of having things unfold and build along the way).  I'm going to kind of phase out of this "identity" a little at a time; start new with a more professional, organized, approach (not "half-hobby/sometimes-not approach").

Online writing/writing sites in general has grown in the three years or so since I started.  It continues to evolve.  I would have been better off if I could have seen where things would lead and knew how to set things up as a foundation for future stuff.  As it is, I've got the benefit of hindsight and this mess on my hands (an earning mess, but a mess nonetheless).

There's no reason anyone should feel the need to separate their "categories"/niches; and the more decent Hubs you have under one name, the better (for the most part).  If I were just starting out today, and if I had a particular niche that was related to my  profession, I'd "keep the options open" and have the separate, "cleaner", niche that would allow me to take it in a direction I may want to in the future.

9. starme77 profile image76
    starme77posted 14 years ago

playing like your different people may mean you have some sort of disorder or something, really , I mean some on here are like 5 or six different people , they have conversations with each other , thats o.k but, they also answer themselves , so , to me there is a problem there , just stick to one , keep the sanity

1. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh - I agree when it comes to people being on the forums. The thing with people talking to themselves on here is funny but no, shall we say, "professional" (by any means).   lol

Having a separate account for a business niche doesn't mean someone has to pretend they're someone else.

1. starme77 profile image76
        starme77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

exactly , your right , I guess if you were to do it for only that reason instead of being weird in the forums , then it may be a great tool for narrowing down niches for the search engines to pick up on

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know a few with separate business accounts and they never go into the forums. the ones with their alter egos are so obvious now, they follow each other around. I doubt if the OP falls into that category!!

2. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
      Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just to be clear, this is not what I am talking about at all.  I would never use any other profile of mine to post on the forum under a topic I have already posted with this profile.  This profile is my public face, so to speak, and was my first created profile.  I know you probably weren't addressing anyone here in particular, but I just want to make sure no one thinks that I am using "sock puppets" on the forums to make points or support arguments or anything like that.

10. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I think it's totally up to you. I like having varied topics in one profile as it shows your interests, profession if you choose, subjects you know well. If others are coming in reading your work, and see that you write well on another topic, they are more likely to refer you to friends, colleagues, etc, or other sites.
    seems it would bring in more traffic with one profile.

but some do it very well with more 'work' related profiles as well.

11. profile image0
    PJ_Deneenposted 14 years ago

I have two IDs, one for many topics and one for niche.  I don't hide who I am on either one as I'm clear about that in both profiles.  It has nothing to do with being sneaky.

I don't think either ID is hard to keep track of if you're organized.  LisaHW mentioned leaving the door open for something you might want to do later on.  I want to have a portfolio of articles on my niche topic all in one place and possibly branch out to print, and there are other possibilities I'm considering.

1. starme77 profile image76
      starme77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

sounds like a neat idea smile

1. profile image0
        PJ_Deneenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.  One can only dream (and keep writing). smile

12. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

I'm gonna agree with the majority here. I say just put it all on the one account smile

13. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 14 years ago

one account is better to organise and look after than two.  Listen to Gia Relache... she knows the laws of the land x

14. kmackey32 profile image63
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

One

15. shai77 profile image79
    shai77posted 14 years ago

I'm not sure ,but it might be that the search engine will love
    one topic and not many topics .It might be more convenient to the search engine to decide what your "site" is all about.
    many different topics might get it a bit confused.

16. ddsurfsca profile image71
    ddsurfscaposted 14 years ago

I would agree with the one account, for this reason at least.  It takes quite a bit of time to get enough hubs written to make any money, for one, but it would also seem to me that it would take a lot of work to keep up with two.

17. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Personally I would suggest having only one Hub, teh extra effort of another Hub account just doesn't seem worth it!

18. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Three including this one, which is my personal profile. The others are more commercial so I keep the separate. smile

1. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's good to know I'm not the only one who sees the benefit of having a commercial one separate.  I'm not second-guessing others here who see no need for it, but as long as there's the possibility that someone from outside or wherever) may click on the profile, where the big mix of miscellanous stuff is, I feel better to keep the commercial-related one separate.   The collection of stuff I've built up isn't something I want to connect to business-related stuff.

At this point I'm not looking for a Hub following on "business" profile.  I have completely separate aims for it.  As it is, the "all-purpose" one is earning and has some following, so I'm happy with that part of it.  It just doesn't belong with my business-related purposes/plans.

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes i think you have thought it through in a similar way. I chose my commercial profile name to match my hubs on one set of commercial hubs, another reason for using a different profile name for these hubs. smile

19. Mieka profile image62
    Miekaposted 14 years ago

I thought it was not allowed to have more than one account? Thought I read that somewhere. Of course now I can't find where. Maybe it was just my imagination, because on most membership site you are not allowed to have more than 1 account.
    This may be something I will consider, as I have 10 hubs now, but the topics are already all over the place... On the other hand, I'm way too chaotic in character to be able to handle more than 1 account smile

20. darkside profile image64
    darksideposted 14 years ago

If you're going to have a LOT of hubs about a specific niche, there is a benefit in separating it.

I figure if you'll have at least 30 hubs all on the one topic then go for it.

On the other hand if you lump them all together, that will work too as your username is you, and not fixed to a specific topic in itself.

When I came here I planned on only publishing some old fan Star Wars ezines I had written back in 2000 and that would be it. But I stuck around. This year I've published hundreds of hubs under several aliases. Though you won't find me arguing for or with myself. Or even flirting with myself. The accounts are pseudonyms, not sockpuppets.

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Same thinking Darkside, I have 35 hubs and growing on one subject. I only use other ID's for writing, not to be a sock puppet. I also disclose who owns the other profile. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)