Can we have a discussion on "Arrogance", please.

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (69 posts)
  1. The Rope profile image59
    The Ropeposted 14 years ago

I've been giving it a lot of thought lately and have reviewed the implications both in a personal way as well as in business and world leadership.  Would love to hear everyone's views...

1. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't have time to discuss arrogance, I have many important things to do! wink

1. tksensei profile image59
        tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Let me guess...

1. profile image0
          A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't do it, it will be considered a personal attack!

I didn't say nuthin'!

2. manlypoetryman profile image81
        manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Now...that's funny...I don't care who you are...that's funny right there.
        http://www.parade.com/export/sites/default/images/-v2/celebrity/slideshows/larry-the-cable-guy/larry3.jpg

lol lol lol lol

2. avangend profile image60
      avangendposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Confidence is the belief in the quality of one's own abilities.

Arrogance is the belief in the quality of one's abilities being of a higher quality than someone else's, and being unafraid to tell you about it.

Thus, confidence is the building block of arrogance.

1. profile image0
        blackorchidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well put, thanks

2. Aya Katz profile image85
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

We already discussed it once...

3. sooner than later profile image60
    sooner than laterposted 14 years ago

I'm the only one who would understand this conversation.

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Now, that's arrogance, if I've ever seen it.lol

I'm glad you think so highly of yourself and it's a pleasure to meet you.

I'm not arrogant, but do come across fairly bluntly, so most of the time I "appear" to be. And, as we all know....appearances can be deceiving. smile

1. sooner than later profile image60
        sooner than laterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

pretty bad huh? haha.

4. R.Edwards profile image62
    R.Edwardsposted 14 years ago

...will all the arrogant people please stand up? lol

5. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Like that would matter....you wouldn't be able to do a head count anyway?lol

6. gym-fitness profile image61
    gym-fitnessposted 14 years ago

i think there for i am too important to waste time discussing arrogance

lol

7. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

personally, i don't think arrogance is  a nice quality, in my humble opinion.

Neither is stupidity, but society has taken a liken to it.lol

8. profile image56
    C.J. Wrightposted 14 years ago

Are we discussing "Arrogance" by denotation or connotation?

1. cally2 profile image61
      cally2posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Who cares? Just keep up with the play.

If you want to play answer a question with a question....please go to the correct forum label....answer a question with a question.

Otherwise, please stay on topic.

1. Deborah-Lynn profile image60
          Deborah-Lynnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why does everyone hate the poor arrogant people?  Boo Hoo, it must because of our beliefs, don't they know we are better than everyone else??

lol lol lol

I am so please someone actually got that [not meant arrogantly]smile

2. Deborah-Lynn profile image60

Don't be so arrogant, we don't attack the good people in here we only dis' the jerks!

1. Sexy jonty profile image58
                Sexy jontyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Founded a guy of being arrogant ...... I appreciate it if you believe "poor arrogant" ......

9. Cagsil profile image71

I don't know.....I didn't setup the topic.

10. dejajolie profile image60
    dejajolieposted 14 years ago

I am assuming there was a point to all of this, but we know the trouble one gets into when 'assuming'.... arrogance and confidence there is such a thin line, really........

11. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Arrogance is practiced at expense of others whereas confidence includes others, don't you think? big_smile

1. wyanjen profile image70
      wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

YES!
      Very well put wink I like that a lot

2. The Rope profile image59
      The Ropeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

DS - what a perfect defination!

3. oneputt profile image61
      oneputtposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Confidence is the acceptance of the  ONENESS of things. Arrogance is reserved for the  obtuse.

12. Cagsil profile image71

Arrogance is a false sense of security when one thinks they are better than another, either backed by wealth or education, which is used to harm society.

Confidence is to know the difference of those among society and usually enables others to help people work through their troubles.

Yes, there is a fine line.....and too many "idiots" step over that line, because they are arrogant, not confident.

1. dejajolie profile image60
      dejajolieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL line, what line.....no limit!

No limit?

There is a line.....where over-confidence can lead to arrogance.

That's usually when the "EGO" gets the better of rational judgement.

1. dejajolie profile image60
          dejajolieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oops that's what I meant as far as diff b'tween arrogance and confidence, The Arrogant sees no line.... they have no limit, I was agreeing with Cagsil

2. dutchman1951 profile image61
      dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Action without experience, takes confidence to try it, and arrogance to feel it is right. Always, some get left out. Lines, many lines are crossed under the guise of Future History mis-calculated! or mis-concieved..?

13. Deborah-Lynn profile image60
    Deborah-Lynnposted 14 years ago

I agree with the defining differences that have already been addressed but to add to that...confidence is being in a place where you are not afraid to use what you know to help others without jamming it don their throats, the focus is on the other not on how much you know or do, and the arrogant side to that is when someone thinks they are so above it all they can use the others for their own advantage, because after all, it's their right!

You are right Caysil + Misha, some people haven't got a clue as to their own arrogance...

2. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Of course !

Deleted

Deleted

3. profile image0
      Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's confidence when I do it - it's arrogance when anybody else does

14. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Pretending that humans caused a climate change is highly arrogant on my books lol

I know Misha, obviously it was the cows!wink

Is that a personal attack?

Hee Hee yes a gas attack....smile

15. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL smile

16. The Rope profile image59

Sorry “guys”, I was headed to a serious conversation.  I wonder if we realize the power that arrogance really has over our daily lives?  I believe it is the single biggest problem in the world today because I believe it's the root of most issues both personal and in the world.  It feeds our pride and keeps us from giving or accepting help with grace.  It feeds our judgmental tendencies not allowing us to use or build on each other's ideas but to push for our own desires.  No one seems to be immune from this phenomenon.  It causes more mistakes, more broken relationships, more lost time in the business world and more wars than any other single human trait.  I was just wondering if anyone else sees it as this big of an issue.

17. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Yes, I do. It is probably the single biggest problem on an individual human being level. The worst thing about it the vast majority of people have no clue they are arrogant.

18. Deborah-Lynn profile image60
    Deborah-Lynnposted 14 years ago

Jes git er done!

1. manlypoetryman profile image81
      manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol That's right, Deborah Lynn...Well Said!

19. manlypoetryman profile image81
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

Is it just me...or did I not read everyone else's reponses accurately enough....but by this point in time I think someone should've said..."Is'nt it arrogant to decide who is arrogant or not. Wouldn't you be making an arrogant assumption...to state who you think is arrogant or not?" hmm

1. wyanjen profile image70
      wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Phew. I'm trying to explain why you are wrong, but I can't wink
      I look at it from every angle, but I can't find any disagreement.

If you consider "arrogant" to be a negative word, it's hard to apply it to yourself.

Thanks for twisting my brain all around tongue lol

20. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL As long as you count yourself among arrogant people, it would not be arrogance tongue

1. profile image0
      Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Dang, Misha, you spiked my cannon in advance!  Now how to I convince y'all of my overweening arrogance?

Ah!  I know!

It's my way or the highway!  lol

21. sannyasinman profile image61
    sannyasinmanposted 14 years ago

If you flip the coin with "arrogance" on one side, you usually find that it says "inferiority" on the other side.

SA - does that include our world leaders - I think many of them are incredibly arrogant - your thoughts?

1. sannyasinman profile image61
        sannyasinmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It includes everybody. Also do you consider arrogance to be a fault - a negative quality? Because it is also said that
        "You don't see a fault in others unless you have it in yourself".

I do see it in myself and I find it a very offensive trait of mine - that's one of the reasons I've been thinking about it a lot.  But at least to identify it, helps to learn from it.  Interestingly enough though as I delved into my own arrogance, I realized that we all have this "unspoken" trail and I realzied the impact it has on all of us - from the highest world leaders to the lowest of us "common folk".  I'm moving on to Dame Scribe's comment - seems like that's the place to analyze next to see what was true arrogance and what is confidence.

22. The Rope profile image59

There is a lot of good thought processes going on here - thanks!  I've been feeling lately that most of us are arrogant in our own lives - notwithstanding the arrogance of those who propose to lead us - either in our working lives or in our world.  I'm struggling to put a good spin on a bad concept - your humor and comments are really helping...

23. Sexy jonty profile image58
    Sexy jontyposted 14 years ago

It's just the behaviour of the person when they feel they are more important than other people, so they are rude to them or do not consider them.......

24. Valerie F profile image59
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

If someone is smarter, stronger, better-looking, or has found something that has improved their lives, but is humble about it, they won't lord it over others but may gladly share what has helped them get where they are with others.

It's arrogance when people think their superiority (real or imagined) in any particular area places them above the rules of common decency and entitles them to look down their noses at and insult others.

25. retellect profile image71
    retellectposted 14 years ago

Don't be arrogant Valerie! smile

26. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 14 years ago

I have found that arrogant people are just a more subtle form of a bully.  They use their perceived superiority as a way to justify their abuse of others.

1. kirstenblog profile image79
      kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well said! That is a very keen observation. I have not thought of it that way before but it really makes a lot of sense smile

2. TamCor profile image79
      TamCorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

PrettyPanther--This is one of the best descriptions for arrogance that I have ever seen. smile

I would so like to copy and paste this onto a political hub that I was just reading, lol....big_smile

Tammy

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL!

27. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

Speaking of arrogance, who can be more arrogant than the US congress? In spite of the overwhelming majority in opposition to their foolish health care bill they will pass it anyway, in the middle of the night under the cover of darkness nearly 3000 pages of new legislation they haven't read, a half trillion in new taxes, 106 new federal bureaucracies, a piece of legislation that doesn't meet any of the goals advanced for submitting it in thee first place and a law that is outside the constitutional authority granted to them!

If this is arrogance, I don't know what is!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)