We are losing them quickly...now. Here's To Those That Served:

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (19 posts)
  1. manlypoetryman profile image81
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

A post for all you Marines out there, Marine Families, and Service men and women for the U.S.

A Quick Tribute to a Great Marine: Joe Hunter Reynolds (Passed away on December 19th, 2009 at 88 years of age).

Following the 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor, Joe enlisted in the United States Marine Corps. In 1945, Lt. Reynolds landed on Iwo Jima, and during fierce fighting Joe was seriously wounded. Joe watched as the American flag was raised atop Mount Suribachi. Most Americans have seen that famous photo. Joe saw it live. Joe received the Purple Heart and numerous other medals for his military valor.

In 1950, Joe was called back to serve in the Korean War. Captain Reynolds landed at Inchon and later fought at the Battle of the Chosin River, called the “Frozen Chosin.” Joe suffered severe frostbite and other injuries, was hospitalized for many months, and for his service Joe was awarded the Commendation Ribbon with Combat V. The Commandant General of the Marine Corps has called the Battles of Iwo Jima and the Chosin Reservoir two of the bloodiest battles in Marines Corps history. Joe was one of the last survivors of both of those historic battles. Joe was a true hero, although he always denied it.

He was also a successful Texas lawyer, teacher, mentor, and a good family man. Rest In Peace, Joe. See this link for more detail: http://lonestartimes.com/?p=678

A Quote from above link: "Joe would tell each of us at this time the words one Marine says to another just before an amphibious landing: “I’ll see you on the beach.” A famous Marine Commandant once greeted Joe, telling him he knew all about him... and asked him to please tell him that same famous Marine line before he left (the meeting), "I'll See You On The Beach!"

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

NICE TRIBUTE! he truly deserve it,

SEE YOU IN HEAVEN!

2. Daniel Carter profile image61
      Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for this, MPM. Always thoughtful, and always great stuff.
      Sending all the best to our men in women in service everywhere.

Peace on earth. No exceptions.

3. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the post! I want to thank all our service men and women who are overseas away from their families for the holidays. It's particularly difficult at this time of year for them and I'm sure they are all missing being home with their loved ones. I want them to know they are much appreciated!

4. Sybil Marie profile image60
      Sybil Marieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wonderful and inspiring! All my thoughts go out to The Brave men and women that allow us it live our lives in peace! They should be remembered and thanked always! Peace to you during this fabulous season.

2. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Nice Tribute MPM... smile

3. Dame Scribe profile image58
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

At one's passing, we prefer to say, ' See you later.' smile my wish for our military not able to come home for the holidays, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, thank you, God Bless and stay safe.

4. bill oneill profile image60
    bill oneillposted 14 years ago

A moving tribute to a true hero. Joe Reynolds followed millions of other Americans to don a uniform and fight to rid the world of dictators and allow freedom to reign. Captain Reynolds put his life on hold twice, WWII and Korea. Severly wounded in both conflicts. His experiences made him a more caring individual. Self-reliance is the hallmark of the warriors of WWII. Those of us who followed in Korea, Vietnam, Gulf War, and Great War on Terror strive to be the equal of our fathers and grandfathers. I have two nephews, one Navy and one Army deployed and I pray for their safety and the safety of their brothers and sisters. We don't say "See you on the beach", mine war was a helicopter war,
    Captain Joe Hunter Reynolds
    SEMPER FI! MARINE!

5. maven101 profile image70
    maven101posted 14 years ago

Thanks Steve, for that wonderful story about one of our Greatest...I agree with Bill O'Neil that they set the standard for we that followed...I know you are thinking of Leroy this time of year so let me share this email I just received from one of my proteges, a young man in trouble with drugs and life, now serving his country as a medic in Iraq...to know Jerome is to love him...Semper Fi, Larry

--- On Mon, 12/21/09, J Aubrey <jmagus007@gmail.com> wrote:

Subject: Merry Christmas
        To: maven92260@yahoo.com
        Date: Monday, December 21, 2009, 11:53 PM

Merry Christmas to my Mom and Dad. You and Dorthy have changed my life. I'm sorry I have not been in contact. I have been on a mission to Camp Bucca to cover-down and help out because they were short handed. It was my first time outside the wire and we went by convoy. It was awesome. I will be headed back to Basrah soon. I will contact you once I get there.

manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Larry: It is good to hear of Jerome's escapades while in country...tell Jerome we all said Merry Christmas, Happy New Year...and to be safe and keep his head down! I have no doubt that Jerome is a remarkable young man...Thank you, Jerome...For Your Service! (and yes...we miss our Leroy tremendously!)

6. profile image0
    Smooth as Silkposted 14 years ago

Good Bless all of the women and men that fight to keep us free. I love everyone of you!

7. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

That was beautiful MPM. Rest in Peace Brave Joe! And Rest in Peace all of the brave who have given their lives for us! and may those who are still fighting for us have the strength they need to continue on with the fight.

8. readytoescape profile image59
    readytoescapeposted 14 years ago

Great Tribute,

My Father-in-law was most likely there with him on the beach at Iwo Jima. As well as on dozens of other islands all over the South Pacific. He was a Marine combat photographer, under General Smith as I recall and he participated in every major marine assault. I remember him telling an FSU Professor that was interviewing him that he always had trouble keeping his cameras dry in the landing craft and the course sand out of the shutter mechanisms. When the professor asked about his weapon, he told him that was never a problem, he only carried a side arm and couldn’t use it and the cameras at the same time, and his orders were to “shoot pictures not Japs,” so he said he kept his .45 in it’s holster and took pictures of the assault as it happened.

Do you possibly remember the famous picture of the Zeros strafing a beach that was on the cover of LIFE magazine. My Father in Law took that shot.

These guys did amazing things, they and their efforts should never be forgotten.

Absolutely...Never Forgotten! I'm going to check images on that photo of the Zero firing on the beach at Iwo....readytoescape. Wow...I know if I'd have choice I would have rather been holding a .45 and shooting back. Your FIL...was as brave as the ones hitting the beach!

1. readytoescape profile image59
        readytoescapeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He was, but he didn't go ashore after the battles. He was with them as they hit the beach,they used their rifles, he used his cameras and he said he was usually in the first wave.

I can't find a link to the pic, but somewhere we have the original 8 x 10. Though now I think of it it also could have been Look Magazine, it was just as popular as life back then but I'm not sure. I do know that the picture was first published on the front page of about 300 newpapers worldwide. The credit line will say Department of the Navy, they never credited the individual photographer.

9. docrehab profile image61
    docrehabposted 14 years ago

Nice wink

10. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Great tribute. My Marine is finally home from Afghanistan safe and sound and now married. Woot!

Such Great and Incredible News, Ralwus...A Super Big "WELL-DONE, MARINE!" Goes Out To Him (on both counts big_smile)

11. mquee profile image66
    mqueeposted 13 years ago

Exceptional story, it sems that true heroes are always reluctant to be in the limelight.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)