OK guys environmentalism is getting a little out of whack

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)
  1. tony0724 profile image60
    tony0724posted 14 years ago

I kid you not now they say Fido and Lassie are causing more pollution then an SUV a pawprint if you will. I want a clean planet as much as the next guy and try to do my part. But this is just a little to nuts ! Read this and I would like to know what you think

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20091220/sc … nimalsfood

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image63
      AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What's odd to me is that, while it makes sense for individuals to do things like winterize their own homes, drive cars that are fuel efficient, and so on (because you save money!), it is large organizations that do the most polluting. In other words, it is large organizations that do all of the large stuff, good and bad!

So it is cities, governments, corporations, etc. that should be held most accountable: the more mess you make, the more you should clean it up.

Pointing fingers at individuals and asking them to do things you know most won't do anyway is just a waste of time.

The one exception to what I've just said is the cattle industry: the raising of livestock is enormously polluting, and results in forest-clearing also... but good luck trying to break the backbone of the worldwide love of beef by individuals!

2. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
    Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years ago

Breaking News: This just in. Former Vice President, environmental globe trotter, and high volume purchaser of carbon offsets, Al Gore has announced that he is pushing Senators to add an amendment to the Waxman bill whereby a tax of 25% is to be imposed on purchases of pet food. Get ready for hikes on the kibble!

The proposed amendment will do nothing to help clean up the environment, but the government needs more money.
    "Pet food is a billion dollar industry in need of some regulation.  The industry's reckless use of meat scraps is killing our earth and something needs to be done however inconvenient the American people may find it," Gore said.

1. profile image0
      Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

lollollollol

Al Gore's participation in any of this has done nothing but polarize people's views on a subject that needs some sober-headed debate and thought (and I don't mean global warming, I mean environmental degradation generally). I wish he'd just kept his big mouth shut. Now, normally, I guess you could call me "left" rather than "right" (though not in every way; I am pro-busines models for doing things, a lot of the time, for example), but after finally seeing his movie and noticing how much of it is about HIM and not about the issues.... well, dumb, dumb, dumb.

It might be easier to say than to do, but it is an example of the useful advice that goes: "Get your freakin' ego out of the picture, buddy."

2. sannyasinman profile image61
      sannyasinmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I read somewhere that Al Gore stands to make $$$$$ billions from the carbon credit trading as he owns or has a significant interest in the brokerage company(ies) that do(es) the trading.

People buying the right to pollute the Earth is a lunatic idea.

Next thing you know they'll be taxing our own gaseous emissions, with a "fart police" to catch those who fart more than their permitted quota.

1. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
        Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And this is why there is raised skepticism.  I don't trust Al Gore.

3. kerryg profile image82
    kerrygposted 14 years ago

Agriculture is one of the leading causes of carbon emissions, especially modern animal agriculture, so we could reduce Fido's "pawprint" very easily without taxes if we started raising livestock in more sustainable ways.

Do you really want to defend the massive Amazon deforestation currently taking place that converts virgin rainforest into temporary cow pasture or soybean fields for cheap animal field? Or keeping thousands of animals crammed together belly deep in their own s*** and then acting shocked when the meat they produce comes out contaminated with fatal strains of E.coli? Agricultural reform isn't just about reducing carbon emissions, it's about restoring the health (physical and economic) of the American people, especially rural America, preventing air and water pollution (have you ever tasted Iowa's tapwater? - in most of the state it's completely undrinkable), and treating animals with a modicum of respect and humanity. These are bad things how?

...in fact, in my book, you can throw the global warming debate out the window, because all the other things you list are super important irrespective of climate change or the lack thereof

4. tony0724 profile image60
    tony0724posted 14 years ago

Kerry I like you do not want the Amazon torn up either. I rarely agree with you but on that one I do. We are talking about the household pets here

1. kerryg profile image82
      kerrygposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, both of us are talking about household pets. The agricultural practices that produce the cheap meat we feed to our dogs and cats are destroying the Amazon and rural America, in addition to being one of the largest contributors to global warming.

AdsenseStrategies is exactly right, even if you don't believe in anthropogenic global warming, there are hundreds of reasons to reform the system we use to raise our livestock, from swine flu (which originated in Mexican factory farms) to the obesity crisis to the near-toxic drinking water in much of rural America. If we did so, the carbon "pawprints" of our pets would nearly disappear, and our own carbon footprints would be significantly reduced.

Everything is connected, dude. It's not just hippie talk. When you're discussing the environment, the world economy, and the interplay between the two, it's as true as saying the sky is blue.

5. Arthur Fontes profile image75
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

What kind of a carbon paw print does a Polar Bear leave??

6. Tom Cornett profile image82
    Tom Cornettposted 14 years ago

"Combine the land required to generate its food and a "medium" sized dog has an annual footprint of 0.84 hectares (2.07 acres)"

Al Gore is about 6 times the size of a medium sized dog...so that makes his carbon footprint 5.04 or (16.2 acres)

Al Gore = 6 dogs.

The math is obvious.....I'm with the dogs!  smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)