dogs habits

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)
  1. profile image49
    hoodsposted 14 years ago

why does my longhaired german shepherd pup 7months old always need to be with me. i bought him at 6months old. he is like a magnet. he also whilst out never stops barking. chases bikes, cars and anything that haS WHEELS.

1. profile image0
      Will Bensonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Shepherds need a lot of exercise and above all, obedience training - with a trainer who's familiar w/GSDs.  Mine always barked a lot but I live in the country so it's not really a problem. Best to get professional advice.

Best of luck w/your pup.

2. HoosierDONK profile image54
      HoosierDONKposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Damned dude you got a mess.. First of all you have to get control of your dog.  He/she should be in a fenced yard or out in the county not running the streets?  He/she does need some obedience training.

I can tell you that I have a two year old German Shepherd.  She spends all her time with me.  Watches whenever I get up and follows me where ever I go.. Actually I wouldn't want it any other way. 

Looks to me that they are as MikeNV comments very social animals.  It might be that this is not the breed of dog for you.

1. Arthur Fontes profile image74
        Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My five year old German Shepard is always within my arms reach.  Exactly where I want him, he is a loyal dog and likes nothing better then to be near me.  The feeling is quite mutual.

2. MikeNV profile image68
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

Apparently Dogs are social animals and like to be in situations that make them feel better.

Why wouldn't he want to be with you?

3. wychic profile image85
    wychicposted 14 years ago

Not only are dogs naturally extremely social and attention-seeking creatures, but don't forget that you also have a baby. He's young, he's used to being with a litter and probably a mother too, and you are the focus of his life now. This clingy behavior is consistent with all of the dogs I've ever had, most recently the pup that I adopted at six months old, now nine months old. She had a bad start in life, which could account for some of her separation anxiety, but for the most part she just craves attention like any other young thing, especially a dog.

4. Tay Czar Talk profile image54
    Tay Czar Talkposted 14 years ago

Dogs are pack animals, and you are now "His Person"  most dogs I have ever had were like this especially the German Shepherds and Dobermans , I believe this is somewhat of a Breed trait in these dogs and therefore will remain even as your dog matures, personally I am completely fine with that!
    I had an Akita at one time that was although affectionate  the most aloof dog I ever had...more like the personality most associate with cats, this took me awhile to adjust too!

5. profile image0
    anonymous82posted 14 years ago

You need to think about the nature of your breed.  It's probably called a German Shepherd for a reason...Perhaps because the breed was used as a Sheepdog in the early 20th Century? 
    As far as the barking and chasing cars:  It's hard to tell without hearing the bark and watching his body language (Does the bark start low-pitched and end in a high pitch, is it a growl bark, are his hackles raised, head up/down, tail up or down?)
    You probably won't find an accurate answer on a forum.  Seek help before you have a real problem.

6. blondepoet profile image68
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

Why does the dog next door always have to poop near my mail box? Grrrrr I get so mad I feel like scooping it up everyday and putting it back in my neighbour's mail-box.

7. Has_aWayWithWords profile image64
    Has_aWayWithWordsposted 14 years ago

my boston terrier uses the same area every time for some reason, I guess thy have the same instnct as humans. You know how even when you are drunk you still know how to find a place to sh1t...lol   seriously  I think it is just a learned habit. Talk to the neighbor and if he/she won't correct the dog then put a poop bag on his door step.

1. blondepoet profile image68
      blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh that's a terrific plan. If that doesn't give them the hint god knows what will. Maybe they pick the mail-box as they may have secretly placed a order for mutton bones on Ebay and they are just waiting for their parcel to arrive. Thanks hasawaywith words nice to meet you anyway.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)