science:: climate change

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)
  1. SparklingJewel profile image68
    SparklingJewelposted 14 years ago

Founder of the Weather Channel, a former Weatherman speaks on Global Warming.

http://www.kusi.com/home/78477082.html

what happened to our science section on hubpages forums?

1. William R. Wilson profile image60
      William R. Wilsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The found of the Weather Channel - he's got a journalism degree.  He's not a climatologist.  He's not even a meteorologist:

"Mr. Coleman is not currently on the American Meteorological Society's list of Certified Broadcast Meteorologists."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Colem … rcaster%29

SparklingJewelposted 14 years agoin reply to this

the basic logic of what he is saying sounds plausible...

he may not be "currently" on the list because he is retired...? and not re-certified...?

2. William R. Wilson profile image60
    William R. Wilsonposted 14 years ago

I will take a look at the video. 

I am not a climatologist either, of course. 

But I have researched the science of climate change pretty deeply for the past few years, and found the skeptics' arguments lacking.

Most of the actual science that is being done shows warming and a link to CO2.  The skeptics tend to be armchair climatologists, lawyers, economists, physicists, anything but actual working climatologists. 

I'll give it a shot, but I'm not too hopeful.  I bet he says something about the sun and about water vapor and natural climate processes...

3. SparklingJewel profile image68

did you do the research from all sides' perspectives?
    they have quoted many actual life time scientists, there are thousands that disagree with Al Gore

That's the main problem I continue to see from all sides...refutation of anyone else's information that they haven't even given serious attention too; be it politics, science, theology, or you name it...

we humans are a stubborn lot smile and have a natural inclination to be divisive and disconcerting...we have to be correct...it's a pride issue  smile

I do my best not to fall for that anymore...smile

4. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Climate change may be a real threat, and so is trying to breathe car and coal fume!

If we do not clean up the environment are we going to wind up not even being able to breath the air,

5. SparklingJewel profile image68

I think the issue of climate change as defined by Gore and promoted by him is not the problem...its the pollution of air,  water, low quality and GM foods and the overabundance of our energy waves that are the problems creating illness in people.

Gore and his ilk just want world government and the money to line their pockets and control the people to get what they want...fear mongering is not healthy...

I haven't read one conservative rendition (I only read the none wacky ones, more moderate in my opinion) that refutes we need to clean up our lives and planet...what they do want is less not more government control of their earnings, etc...

6. William R. Wilson profile image60
    William R. Wilsonposted 14 years ago

I watched the video.  About what I expected. 

Coleman refers to himself as a TV meteorologist.  As far as I can tell his only degree is in journalism.  The American Society of Meteorologists doesn't have him listed here:

http://www.ametsoc.org/memdir/seallist/ … tofcbm.cfm

you can see that they maintain dead, retired, and nonrenewed certifications on this list as well. 

He says that CO2 has always been in the atmosphere.  This is true. It's why the earth is not in a permanent ice age. 

He shows a graph of some previous temperature changes to illustrate that climate changes naturally.  One thing he leaves out?  CO2, for 15 million years, has been cycled between 150 and 250 parts per million (ppm).  There is now 380 ppm in the atmosphere from fossil fuels. 

Check out my hub on global warming and natural cycles:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Global-Warming- … ral-Cycles

He shows a graph of more recent temperatures.  Not sure where he got that but it looks quite different from what paleoclimatologists have agreed upon as past temperature changes. 

He says that computer models are all the evidence we have for global warming.  False.

He shows a misleading graph of temperatures in the past decade to show that temperatures have cooled.  If you start in 1998, it looks like temperatures have cooled - but if you go back to the 1900s you can see that temperatures are higher now than they have been in the past 150 years.

He says that there is more arctic ice now than there was last year?  True. But we are still at a lower point than we have seen in the past 30 years. 

He shows a graph of temperature with sunspot activity (how did I know he was going to do that?).  Surprise surprise - the temperatures he uses are misleading.  I'm not sure but it looks like US surface temperatures, not global temperatures.  If you take global temperatures and compare them to sunspot activity you'll see a radical departure in the last 3 decades.

SparklingJewelposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes, you definitely have a keen interest in the whole climate change thing...more power to ya on that one smile I have not such keen interest in learning to be a scientist, all of which still have a human mind that determines what he thinks, as well as determines how he interprets his science.

Like I said before...my main concern is that elists try to create world government to control people and their money...that is my main concern. Al Gore has proven he has the desire to have those things come to fruition.

It could be a good thing for you to offer your perspectives to the scientists that are so stuck in their own mindsets and politics(being bought off) that they can't see for sure what their science (of theories, which is what science is supposed to be grounded in) says that they are looking at. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)