Blaming God: The Easy way out?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (66 posts)
  1. wesleyacarter profile image57
    wesleyacarterposted 14 years ago

Why is it so easy for us to blame God for our circumstances? for the problems of the world?

Instead of taking responsibility for ourselves?

1. kirstenblog profile image78
      kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Taking responsibility for ourselves is hard sometimes! Admitting a mistake can be embarrassing or worse. It is so much easier to think that life owes you something just cause your alive roll It's the path of least resistance. Of course nothing will get better by taking the path of least resistance and foregoing personal responsibility for oneself. My personal experience is that it gets easier to handle the embarrassment of saying, hey I was wrong but I am willing to learn, of practicing humbleness and humility from time to time. I have gotten much more from life after I stopped expecting so much from life just because. I try to remember life does not owe me anything and that hard work can be very rewarding. Earning my way feels so much better then just being given everything. What is a success if you did virtually nothing to get it? It's like when someone comes here and announces they made their first 2 cents with all the joy in the world, it's not really about the money but about hard work paying off.

wesleyacarterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

religion (or even, dare I say, spirituality) sometimes enables a sense of entitlement. this is awesome, kirsten!

1. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Religion promotes entitlement. It's the wrong spirituality. It's false and ridiculous. Sirituality can be gained without believing in a GOD or a higher power. The true spiritual growth a person requires is to have love and compassion for their fellow citizens(humans) thru honest selfless action. You want to tap into true spirituality, first learn what it is truly. smile

i don't think that spirituality is a moral faculty. i think spirituality is devoid of right and wrong.

insofar as what you believe to be right or wrong, that is a consequence of your personal spirit, i think.

It's not spirituality in and of itself that is morally wrong. It is your chosen action that is morally wrong.

Just in case, you didn't know- Morals are absolutes for living.

Any CHOSEN action that benefits the human organism or society is moral right or good.

Any CHOSEN action that harms the human organism or society is moral wrong or bad.

Any emotions are amoral. Hence, not right or wrong.

You form a belief, that creates spirituality from anything other than what I stated in my previous statement, then your individual CHOSEN ACTION is morally wrong. smile

you sound like the old ladies in my church when i was growing up.

Morals are not absolute, i don't think. I think that there are people who lead lives much different than yours, and morals do not means the same to every person. Killing is immoral, you would say. But what if you had to kill to preserve life, such as protecting a loved one from an aggressor?

CHOICE by nature is a reaction to a given circumstance. You speak as if every action you commit is by choice, devoid of circumstance (not saying that's how you are, just what you sound like). I don't think it is.

in this case, I do know what you meant. in case YOU didn't know, i think that you just reiterated what i said, trying to rebuke.

Personal spirit leads to choice, is what i meant. Spirituality is not attached to morals, i think.

2. kirstenblog profile image78
          kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Funny thing is that my understanding of the teachings of Jesus, which are only my understandings as I never met the dude, is that he was trying to teach personal responsibility for ourselves and how we affect others. A religion based on this sort of teaching has instead fostered this sense of entitlement while many atheists at least try to claim responsibility for themselves because they don't have God as a scapegoat. The weirdest thing is that there will be those who accept responsibility for themselves in religion and in atheism. Likewise there will be those who don't seem to have any concept of personal responsibility from religion and atheism. Go figure roll

2. profile image0
      baconmidgetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why is it so easy to blame bush for America's problems too lol

this would have made an interesting forum question.

i think people blame Bush because it's the easy way out. Instead of looking past Bush at the overall insufficiency of the WHOLE American system. this is, once again, people blaming a thing instead of taking responsibility.

Everything that is wrong with America, is everything that is wrong with me - because I am an American.

1. profile image0

right on dudebro! could not agree more. even though i don't care much for bush  (or obama or any president really) i still don't think that everything is all his fault. i mean look at clinton was it his fault that he got a bj no it's her fault for giving it lol

or is it God's fault for creating a penis and a mouth, and putting them both in the oval office at the same time?

lol roll lol

2. profile image0

LMAO my point exactly! people really do just play the blame game cause it's really both there faults they both knew what would happen and so they really couldn't blame anybody.

2. earnestshub profile image81
          earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree, if the people in a democracy are not responsible, the who is? smile We all get the governments we deserve. Sometimes we don't deserve much. Australia had twelve years under a draconian government. Our fault, fixed it. smile

3. getitrite profile image71
      getitriteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Because we were indocrinated into this wretched religious system.  One of the things that we were told is that God has CONTROL of everything, so would it not be natural to blame this SOB, who is in CONTROL of everything?  If he controls everything, then he is responsible,  It seems that you are trying to let this "god" off the hook by allowing him to be irresponsible.  What a foolish god!

well i always understood God as the creator, not the controller.

trying to let "God" off the hook? something funny for another forum post. Why do humans tend to think that God operates in any way like a human?

1. getitrite profile image71

When it comes to imaginary beings, such as the Gods that delusional people invent, there is no limit as to how it operates.

yes i did think it through. creating a thing doesn't suggest controlling a thing. the universe, God, whatever you would call it, seems to me to be an automated thing, rather than a thing making limitless decisions all at once. like a programmer creating a program, or a person building a flea circus. to sit back and watch as the beauty of order and chaos unfolds.

4. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Speak for yourself buddy, speak for yourself smile

5. profile image54
      (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Because, that's what religion demands of you. Believers are merely robots that obey and serve their 'creator' who has already provided for them their guides to living. They follow the guide and the world goes to hell in a hand basket. Simple really.

1. Jerami profile image59
        Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If religion is broken can it be fixed or should it be scratched and reconstructed?? Do we eliminate it all together and return to  caos?  Instead of just complaining about it; what should be our first steps to restore it to its origional purpose????

1. profile image54

Religion isn't broken, it works very well as an indoctrination machine. It's had generations of tweaking to get it right.

Religions conquer and divide mankind and the human condition. There is no place for them in a world where mankind needs to unite so that we can help one another rather than fighting about whose god can beat up the other god. They are little more than bronze age myths and superstitions.

1. mohitmisra profile image60
            mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Religions have helped many gain enlightenment or liberation and at the same time it has done its harm.I am into uniting them and so is Jerami and many you will b meeting here.

1. profile image54

No, they have only done harm and continue to do so to all of mankind.

Wonderful, we'll have unified, global harm.

1. tantrum profile image61
                tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks God ,that's impossible !
                lol lol lol

2. mohitmisra profile image60

Do you understand the meanitng of enlighenment and god?

You are the one attacking .

1. profile image54

Yes and no.

Do I understand the definition of enlightenment? Yes, it is education that results in understanding and the spread of knowledge.

Do I understand the use of this word in religion? No. And, although scriptures does offer an education, it's one that finds the extraordinary and the invisible on equal grounds and forfeits understanding by its own design.

Have scriptures managed to encapsulate in words some of mankinds characteristics, such as compassion? Absolutely. But, it errors in assuming these are god given. If they were, we also have to accept that the most vile and vicious acts our imaginations can formulate are also god given, lest we give in to the notion we carry out those acts entirely on our own, yet justified in doing so by scriptures and our gods.

Do I understand the meaning of god?

With all the gods purported to exist and all the scriptures offering their versions of life guides, that's quite an impossible question to answer.

So, we are left with only an assumption of meaning.

God is the nothing in which a something is attributed.

Am I really? Or, am I just that nagging, pesky little thing we call a 'conscience' taking a nibble here and a nibble there on the cold dish of hypocrisy we serve ourselves daily?

Or, did the attack begin long ago when we as a species allowed ourselves to accept the notion the invisible and undetectable were more important than we were, and that our obedience and devotion to myths and superstitions precluded our dependence and compassion for each other?

No my friend, the real attack is what religion has been doing to mankind for generations, making people commit acts to fall in selfish favor with their invisible gods rather than seeing fit to stewarding our own survival.

Man is god.

2. Presigo profile image61
    Presigoposted 14 years ago

When things are wrong in our life we must find a reason for it not to be our fault.  God, whom we ignore quite often becomes the reason for starving children, losing our spouse and all the many troubles in life.  Then just as quickly as we acknowledge Him as the reason for misfortune, we claim victory for ourselves when things have gone reamrkably well.  So I believe at the core we have a need for self preservation.

Self preservation backed by irresponsibility is morally wrong. It is morally wrong, because it harms society overall health. smile

1. Presigo profile image61
        Presigoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agreed and we are reaping the benefits of our immorality, we need contrite hearts and must spread love as readily as we spread hate and discontent.

2. XTASIS profile image59
      XTASISposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That speaks of insecurity an fear. Two of the causes that makes Man in need of a superior being. The eternal human fear of not being able to rely in oneself.

3. Unchained Grace profile image61
      Unchained Graceposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Playing the blamegame has risen to Olympic proportions with some people and quite honestly, it has nothing to do with spiritual entitlement. You're on point with the self preservation thing. Let us instead look hard at the reasons something did go wrong. It is why the mirror is the most feared object in some people's household.

3. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

god does get blamed for everything...... even if people say they don't believe in him. what, that does seem strange but it is sometimes true.

4. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

getitrite gotitright again! smile

1. getitrite profile image71

Thanks Earnest

5. Bovine Currency profile image59
    Bovine Currencyposted 14 years ago

religion is a security blanket

1. earnestshub profile image81

...that threatens to kill you if you fold it the wrong way! smile

you strike me as someone who's been personally traumatized by a religious act, or in a religious environment. why do you hate the idea of religion so much? is it really that horrible? the idea that someone believes in a creator, or follows a tradition of belief?

-

sometimes, denying the existence of God can be an indirect way of blaming God. i'm not saying this is the case with you, but...

I seem to keep striking you in one way or another. You may have to read a couple more of my hubs, maybe how to get her to love you would be a start. smile
          I do not appear to my family or friends as "traumatised" by anything. smile I am happily godless thank you.
          These slippery and therefore gutless attacks on my "problems" won't wash, been here too long, too many people know the truth.

do you feel attacked?

-

i admit, i antagonized a little bit - because you make it so fun. but you don't need to self-promote or tote your hubbing experience. writing is easy.

I am doing neither! You really are a pain in the nether regions! you obviously know less than nothing about me, keep putting labels on my thoughts, so I thought you may need to know what you are talking about. smile

2. earnestshub profile image81

The good ole "Are you still beating your wife" question eh? Pathetic! smile

what?

The "Do you feel attacked ruse is an old one, which answer do you want? lol

You should see your subconscious from here! lol

2. Bovine Currency profile image59
        Bovine Currencyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No argument there earnest.  I prefer my care bear tongue

6. bojanglesk8 profile image60
    bojanglesk8posted 14 years ago

God helps those who help themselves.

7. 2besure profile image80
    2besureposted 14 years ago

I blame God for a lot of things, but He can handle how I feel.  Some Christians try to act like they never get mad with God.  You may as well say it, because He knows your heart anyway.

8. mpurcell10 profile image60
    mpurcell10posted 14 years ago

When my son passed away it was an easy way to get threw the hurt and pain I needed someone to blame. I know its not right but during those times it was the easy way. I have asked for forgiveness and know that i have received however I am not sure that if it was to happen again that I would not be able to do it again. All I can say is its easy-yes wrong but easy.

9. Daniel Carter profile image61
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

Blaming God = entitlement to be a victim.

That said, I think we have all done it, if we believe or have believed in God. We make God a person like us and find out he/she is somehow flawed because things didn't go the way we wanted them to.

Right and wrong (morals and values) = only what is in *your* mind. Hence, terrorists have no problem blowing up other people. They are, after all, justified *in their minds.*

Good = a pretty sensible way to look at what is going on. If it's good, then it's most likely not harmful. If it's not harmful, it can, in most cases, also be *good* for you.

Harm neither yourself or others. Choose good in all things.

Even if you don't believe in God, that is a mantra to consider living by.

10. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

People blame GOD because it's so much easier for them to imagine that some alternate source is controlling their life, so as to not be responsible for their own life.

If something happens that doesn't go their way - God's will. He must not want them to go in that direction.

If something happens that does go their way - God's shining on them. Makes them think that God gave them a helping hand.

This entire farce known as "GOD" or "it", or "He" or "Him" or "She" has engulfed many people. Yet, many people believe he doesn't really exist, but if you ask them in public, they defend, argue, attack, ridicule or try to shame others because they don't believe, yet these people don't truly believe in God, in the first place.

There are very few who reach true enlightenment about their life. And, trust- enlightenment isn't what people are led to believe. So, that only perpetuates a lie. smile

11. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

It has always been said to not shoot the messenger. Well there is an equal but opposit for everything.

Don't blame the source of the information when the people that recieved it retold the story wrong!

12. jessicab profile image60
    jessicabposted 14 years ago

I do not blame God for my circumstances or whats surrounding it.  I blame Satan the devil.  God have qualities of love, justice, kindness and would not harm us.  Its the devil who wants to harm us and its working to.

13. wesleyacarter profile image57

enlightenment is BS. either we all have it or none of us do. it suggests that you have reached the pinnacle, that there is nothing left to understand. that all is revealed.

i think enlightenment, if that word really carries any weight or definition, is just the realization of how much we don't realize. It's someone saying in their mind "Oh my god, there's so much more out there than I could possibly understand."

"learning gained is learning lost."

just my opinion.

1. Jerami profile image59
      Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Is there a clear defination of enlightenment?
      I think that it is just a catch phrases.
      Maybe it means to have Understanding?
      Is it given or acheived? 
      Some people may have more understanding than others.

I understand one thing.  Nothing is as it first apears to be.

Enlightenment, enlightened ones,  Brahmins,Saints, knowers of god, awakened ones,the ones who has fused with the Light or god. They died ,  became the Light and didnt die.They spread knowledge of the Light. God , home our source, absolute bliss.

Satori, samadhi , revelation, enelightenment.

Yes it does mean to have understanding of god the Light. 

Both given and achieved.Depends on the "I" one is using.

Different awareness levels of enlightenment and god do exist. smile

14. wesleyacarter profile image57

enlightenment to me is just another term for modern thinkers to suggest that there is an achievement to be had. something to be gained. to feed a non-sensical notion of freedom.

mohitmisra - man is always in synch with God. there is no action permitted to man that is not first included within the possibility presented by God. free will, humanity, separation from the divine, an abstract thought. there are no words to describe that kind of separation. it is as if your foot were to try and determine what it were like not to be part of a body. a foot without a body, ceases to be a foot in many ways, though it may still appear to be a foot. like modern thoughts on racism, a thing is to be defined by its purpose, its quality, rather than its characteristics, i think.

there is varying knowledge from person to person, but there is no person that is a finer example of a person than any other person. we are just different examples of the same idea.

(Q) - it is impossible for you to know for certain, that mohitmisra does not know death. If you think this is so, then you act as an example of those whose faith is supplanted by the need for proof. don't be so conclusive, you have not lived mohitmisra's life.

1. profile image54

And, mohitmisra has not experienced death, hence his lack of knowledge of it. He is alive, is he not?

15. Gregg Biancci profile image61
    Gregg Biancciposted 14 years ago

I thought we were supopsed to just blame Canada!

16. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

No point in blaming the impossible invisible divisive sky fairy.
    If it did exists it obviously doesn't give a s**t!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)